C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 277 of 434.
#13801 5 years ago

Status of Latest Run of MET Premium?

Is anyone hearing from their distro that this latest, short run of MET Premiums is shipping from Stern?

The one distro I spoke to who actually bothered to look into it weeks ago tells me that she was told "mid-July" by Stern. She also said an estimate like that should be assumed to be pushed back by one month. So, are we all assuming mid-August?

And is there any hope that Stern will ship these new pins with an improved Coffin magnet board, to finally address the malfunction-prone magnet?

#13802 5 years ago

#13801 cont'd...

I notice that The Game Room Guys of Comstock, MI, seem to have stock of the latest run of MET Premiums:

ebay.com link: Stern Metallica Monster Premium Pinball Machine

And yes, given how this same distro had no stock as recently as two months ago, I assume this eBay listing is for a machine from the latest run. I wonder how The Game Room Guys snagged such early units.

#13803 5 years ago

The snake in that eBay listing comes with teath.

#13804 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

The snake in that eBay listing comes with teath.

Doubtful. The original run's all came with Teeth. They were breaking so Stern stopped putting them on. The photos there are just Stern's website photos which were never updated to show the snake comes as a turtle NIB.

#13805 5 years ago

Oh, I didn't even realize that Stern originally shipped games with teeth. That's kind of a lazy fix. That would be kind of like "fixing" the issues with the magnet board by eliminating the magnets.

#13806 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Im in the same boat, had mine about 3 years and it doesn't get played as much as my others. I keep adding mods hoping it will spark something, cause i love the band so much. Too many other pins i want and not enough space.

Nothing wrong with changing up the collection. I really really enjoy my collection right now, but I'm sure a few years from now I'll be ready to change it up again.

#13807 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Oh, I didn't even realize that Stern originally shipped games with teeth. That's kind of a lazy fix. That would be kind of like "fixing" the issues with the magnet board by eliminating the magnets.

Against pinside rules to modify an actual quote so I'm going to re-quote you below with a slightly better example

"Oh, I didn't even realize that Stern originally shipped games with teeth. That's kind of a lazy fix. That would be kind of like "fixing" the left orbit on GOT Prem/LE by just disabling the control gate in the code forcing all balls to go in the pops."

#13808 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Against pinside rules to modify an actual quote so I'm going to re-quote you below with a slightly better example
"Oh, I didn't even realize that Stern originally shipped games with teeth. That's kind of a lazy fix. That would be kind of like "fixing" the left orbit on GOT Prem/LE by just disabling the control gate in the code forcing all balls to go in the pops."

Wow. That was the exact example I was thinking of. Freaky.

#13809 5 years ago

Not sure if anyone has added this mod yet, but I 3d printed this open source model of a piston skull I found on Thingiverse. It seemed the perfect addition to Metallica near the piston targets. I little dash of paint and a metal bracket and she was good to go. Just thought I would share it here for other to try.

P6241368 (resized).JPGP6241368 (resized).JPGP6241370 (resized).JPGP6241370 (resized).JPG
#13810 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal-911:

Not sure if anyone has added this mod yet, but I 3d printed this open source model of a piston skull I found on Thingiverse. It seemed the perfect addition to Metallica near the piston targets. I little dash of paint and a metal bracket and she was good to go. Just thought I would share it here for other to try.

I’m not a big mod person, but I do like that.

#13811 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Hell they started sawing the teeth off pretty early. My Met LE never had em, he's a turtle now

#13812 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal-911:

Man that looks like my shooter rod, and I want one! Do you have the file?

0709181827a (resized).jpg0709181827a (resized).jpg0709181827b (resized).jpg0709181827b (resized).jpg
#13813 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Man that looks like my shooter rod, and I want one! Do you have the file?

This one?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2055033

#13814 5 years ago

Open source at Thingiverse, free download.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2055033

#13815 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Hell they started sawing the teeth off pretty early. My Met LE never had em, he's a turtle now

Yeah, I found 1 tooth in the base of my LE, Looked like it was cut out, That was a depressing moment

I left it in the coin box for posterity.

I still got Turtle, Sucks

Who has best fangs and are available ?

Everywhere I look nil stock ?

#13816 5 years ago

Mezel mods for the teeth. They can make more if they are out....just email. Good people to deal with.

#13817 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Mezel mods for the teeth. They can make more if they are out....just email. Good people to deal with.

depending on your snake, the teeth can be a right bitch to install but definitely worth it. I had to pull my entire snake mech out of the game to get mine installed (which also entailed removing the hammer. not fun

#13818 5 years ago

Added red LED under the pf at the snake. Lookin cool!! Lights up when he spits it back at you, awesome. Thanks again Mezels!!

MVIMG_20180709_183024.jpgMVIMG_20180709_183024.jpg
#13819 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

depending on your snake, the teeth can be a right bitch to install but definitely worth it. I had to pull my entire snake mech out of the game to get mine installed (which also entailed removing the hammer. not fun

Really? Mine were installed in about 5 minutes. Just had to loosen the screw in the roof of his mouth and click the piece in.

#13820 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Really? Mine were installed in about 5 minutes. Just had to loosen the screw in the roof of his mouth and click the piece in.

Maybe he didn't have an offset screwdriver... that simple tool makes it easy.

#13821 5 years ago

I had an offset, but I couldn't get enough leverage with the angle I was working at to loosen the screw on the roof of the snake mouth

I wish I had, because pulling out the entire snake mech caused an issue when reinstalling it and getting everything to line back up properly. the post for the vuk wasn't squared up in the hole where the ball ends up sitting and caused ejects from the snake mouth to send the ball everywhere [except to the left flipper]

I did a write-up on it a while back in this very thread

#13822 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Added red LED under the pf at the snake. Lookin cool!! Lights up when he spits it back at you, awesome. Thanks again Mezels!!

Hmmm. I have a green one for that. May have to try red as that's a nice contrast.

#13823 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I had an offset, but I couldn't get enough leverage with the angle I was working at to loosen the screw on the roof of the snake mouth
I wish I had, because pulling out the entire snake mech caused an issue when reinstalling it and getting everything to line back up properly. the post for the vuk wasn't squared up in the hole where the ball ends up sitting and caused ejects from the snake mouth to send the ball everywhere [except to the left flipper]
I did a write-up on it a while back in this very thread

my snake threw the ball everywhere except to the left flipper. I noticed the ball was hitting the metal post and/or the pick target. I haven't tried adjusting the mech but put a piece of foam in the mouth and finally it throws the ball to the left flipper. But I thought I'd mention this for anyone who experiences the problem to see if the ball hits the post etc

#13824 5 years ago

Just installed the spinners made by Robert Campbell from Hooked on Pinball. Must say, the quality of his product is excellent. I used a Dremel cutter then sander to modify the plastics. Came out clean and smooth (thank goodness, whew). Wires connect the spinners through the pf to hook up to the guitar pic stand-up's under the pf...so when the spinners are spinnin', it sounds like Lars doing the double bass. It's badass!! ...Waiting on my Flipper Fidelity speakers to arrive, then bring on that bass!!!

MVIMG_20180714_154840.jpgMVIMG_20180714_154840.jpgMVIMG_20180714_155420.jpgMVIMG_20180714_155420.jpgMVIMG_20180714_155426.jpgMVIMG_20180714_155426.jpg
#13825 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Just installed the spinners made by Robert Campbell from Hooked on Pinball. Must say, the quality of his product is excellent. I used a Dremel cutter then sander to modify the plastics. Came out clean and smooth (thank goodness, whew). Wires connect the spinners through the pf to hook up to the guitar pic stand-up's under the pf...so when the spinners are spinnin', it sounds like Lars doing the double bass. It's badass!! ...Waiting on my Flipper Fidelity speakers to arrive, then bring on that bass!!!

So the spinners now award the pick shots? I don't think I like that....

#13826 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

That is exactly what happens... if you get the Total Lightshow kit and use the add-on board you can eliminate that.

#13827 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Wow your game looks awesome, love the art blades or whatever you call them on the sides inside the cabinet. The whole game looks great!

#13828 5 years ago

Is there anything to watch out for when installing the mystery scoop cliffy?

#13829 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You need a deep socket to pull the playfield post that the Cliffy goes under and yes, watch out, because it has a nut on the bottom of it that needs to come out first. So take off the nut from the bottom of the playfield, and then unscrew the metal post.

But really it’s easy. You don’t need to take the scoop itself out or anything.

#13830 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

The Mystery scoop is super easy, even DaveH could do it i bet.

#13831 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You need a deep socket to pull the playfield post that the Cliffy goes under and yes, watch out, because it has a nut on the bottom of it that needs to come out first. So take off the nut from the bottom of the playfield, and then unscrew the metal post.
But really it’s easy. You don’t need to take the scoop itself out or anything.

I ended up scratching the underside if my plastic removing it, so go nice and easy.

#13832 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

@mattosborn, no, the spinners do not award the pic targets, still have to hit the stand up to get pic insert solid... the spinners just steal from the sound it makes when you hit the pic targets (sound is a single drum bass hit)...so when the spinners are spun, it sounds like double bass! Just installed the 10"Flipper Fedelity speaker system and it's sounding awwwesome!! Also finally got the snake extension mod in same package from Pinball Life and got that badboy hooked up.
-chip

MVIMG_20180714_181608.jpgMVIMG_20180714_181608.jpg
#13833 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

mattosborn, no, the spinners do not award the pic targets, still have to hit the stand up to get pic insert solid... the spinners just steal from the sound it makes when you hit the pic targets (sound is a single drum bass hit)...so when the spinners are spun, it sounds like double bass! Just installed the 10"Flipper Fedelity speaker system and it's sounding awwwesome!! Also finally got the snake extension mod in same package from Pinball Life and got that badboy hooked up.
-chip

Actually you are wrong because I have the same set up...spinner hits award pic target since it’s hook up to it. You need the TLS with the board to eliminate pic counts. I do love the drum bass hits going fast tho...goes so fast it’s behind the spinning spinner.

#13834 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Actually you are wrong because I have the same set up...spinner hits award pic target since it’s hook up to it. You need the TLS with the board to eliminate pic counts. I do love the drum bass hits going fast tho...goes so fast it’s behind the spinning spinner.

You are correct @Pinballerchef. I stand corrected. So yes @mattosborn, it does award the pic shot on the left and right edges when the spinners are hit. But hey, for me, I'm loving having these spinners!! So, even though some may not like the pic shot being awarded with the spinners shot, for my game, I can always use all the help I can get!! Haha.
And yeah, the bass drum beats are awseomly pounding with the new speaker set up!

#13835 5 years ago

I noticed today while playing my Met Premium that the flippers got weaker after 4 or 5 games. I knew it was the coils getting hot, but I don't know why this is happening. The EOS are ok in switch test mode and so are the flipper cabinet switches. They are not getting hot enough to burn your finger if you touch them, but certainly hot enough to be weaker. The left flipper could barely make the right ramp. None of my other SAM games have ever had this problem.

Rob

#13836 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I noticed today while playing my Met Premium that the flippers got weaker after 4 or 5 games. I knew it was the coils getting hot, but I don't know why this is happening. The EOS are ok in switch test mode and so are the flipper cabinet switches. They are not getting hot enough to burn your finger if you touch them, but certainly hot enough to be weaker. The left flipper could barely make the right ramp. None of my other SAM games have ever had this problem.
Rob

try some new coil sleeves

#13837 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

also check to see if the coil plunger moves freely through the new sleeve. if it binds or it's mushroomed, you'll need to either replace it or file down the mushroomed end and put a new chamfer on it

#13838 5 years ago

So has anyone gotten the diverter to actually work from the left loop so it drops onto the pops yet? Mine works once every 20 times.

I took the sleeve off to help "deaden" the ball, but no luck.

#13839 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So has anyone gotten the diverter to actually work from the left loop so it drops onto the pops yet? Mine works once every 20 times.

I replaced my diverter with the metal one. Since replacing it, I've only saw the ball bounce out of the left orbit a couple times in almost 2000 plays.

#13840 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Swap to metal post and/or adjust angle of the diverter by bending the coil bracket as needed.

#13841 5 years ago

I swapped to a metal post and I do get the occasional bounce back where it does not go into the pop's but it was a great improvement.

#13842 5 years ago

When I said I took the sleeve off, I meant I put a metal one in there. It did jack shit for me. Surely there's more to it than that, as metal didn't make a bit of difference.

As for bending the coil bracket, do you mean so that it comes out at an angle?

#13843 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

When I said I took the sleeve off, I meant I put a metal one in there. It did jack shit for me. Surely there's more to it than that, as metal didn't make a bit of difference.

All I did was swap mine out for metal and it works great now. Nothing more to it for me.

#13844 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yes, or remove the existing angle so it's straight up, or reverse the angle. Slight changes in the angle also have an effect if the metal post alone isn't working to your expectations.

#13845 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

All I did was swap mine out for metal and it works great now. Nothing more to it for me.

It does work for most people it seems, but it only reduced my bounce backs slightly. I also tried to bend the bracket to "deaden" the hit on the plunger, but as I was putting slight pressure on it I heard a pop and the bracket moved over to far. I doen't know what the pop was from, but I moved it back and didn't try it again.

#13846 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

mattosborn, no, the spinners do not award the pic targets, still have to hit the stand up to get pic insert solid... the spinners just steal from the sound it makes when you hit the pic targets (sound is a single drum bass hit)...so when the spinners are spun, it sounds like double bass! Just installed the 10"Flipper Fedelity speaker system and it's sounding awwwesome!! Also finally got the snake extension mod in same package from Pinball Life and got that badboy hooked up.
-chip

Where did you get those cards?

#13847 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Same here, i changed to a metal post and it eliminated the problem totally.

#13848 5 years ago

Holy shit, we're back on the plastic vs. metal post debate again? Every other month this comes up.

#13849 5 years ago

As mentioned before, make sure the playfield is level left/right and set to 6.5deg slope. I noticed that just moving my Metallica around in my game room affected how often the ball bounced back, which was due to slight changes in level. The metal post was the final fix for me.

Maybe adjust the position of the ball rail above the post, down a bit if possible.

#13850 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Holy shit, we're back on the plastic vs. metal post debate again? Every other month this comes up.

Nobody is debating, it's generally accepted in this thread that the metal post is superior. They are still building these games and people sell theirs, so there's plenty of new owners coming in here to ask about the metal post or learn about it for the first time

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 277 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/277?hl=furyosjustin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.