711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,646 posts in this topic. You are on page 271 of 433.
#13501 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Disconnect and reconnect the data cable both at the backbox and where it goes under the playfield. It looks like a grey ethernet cable. This will solve your problem either for awhile or for good depends on whether the connection is firm or not.

I thought that data cable drives the RGB inserts, not the GI..

Rob

#13502 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I thought that data cable drives the RGB inserts, not the GI..
Rob

GI is data driven as well.

#13503 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Even played GoT and had Winter Is Coming hurry up? Or escape Boba Fett on SW? That's exactly what the GI is now doing on my MeT Premium. Now that I have some time I will check for taught wiring/connectors and what else?
» YouTube video
Rob

I had a bad strobing issue on my premium too. After some back and forth via email with stern support we tracked it to the 3 pin connector on the upper right corner of the GI driver board (dead center of under playfield), not the actual data cable that seems to get brought up a lot with this problem. Wiggle that connector while the game is powered up and see if it triggers your strobe effect. Stern sent me a new GI board and harness. I never installed the board but the new harness did the trick.

#13504 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Ktm450 it worked !! Thanks ,
Brappp

No worries mate

#13505 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Thanks for your help , I got the wireing working .
Does the under side of the snake have a option with a cut in it for the LED.
This is the 2 pics I see online. The LED looks like it fit inside the jaw
Thanks for ur help

No, the LED doesn't go inside the jaw. If it did then it would interfere with the ball. it just goes under it and the light shines through the openings.

#13506 5 years ago

Joined the club over the weekend. My first pin!

634FD5D2-1566-4288-B098-4B4BFFC58BDB (resized).jpeg634FD5D2-1566-4288-B098-4B4BFFC58BDB (resized).jpeg

#13507 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Congrats, nice Ken Taylor print!

#13508 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Your birthday??? Great first pin, mine is Metallica too.

#13509 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Welcome. Great way to start your addiction.

#13510 5 years ago

What a cool first pin! Welcome.
How many plays do you think you will put on it in the first week?
We got ours 3 weeks ago. We put 255 games on in first 7 days, but I got a lot of help from friends

#13511 5 years ago
Quoted from Gort:

Six weeks is nothing. I waited five months for mine! That's when they were having playfield issues and right before Stern moved to a bigger building.

That is brutal, but I am also down the street from them, so I am amazed that I am still waiting. IMDN took over the assembly line I guess. 10 weeks seems like an eternity when we are waiting for a new toy!

#13512 5 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

That is brutal, but I am also down the street from them, so I am amazed that I am still waiting. IMDN took over the assembly line I guess. 10 weeks seems like an eternity when we are waiting for a new toy!

New METPros are coming off the line starting this week.

#13513 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

New METPros are coming off the line starting this week.

Fingers crossed then! I have a drawer of toys/mods waiting for it.

#13514 5 years ago

A great first pin. Honestly, it may spoil you. The game is so so good and has tons of ways to play it.

#13515 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

A great first pin. Honestly, it may spoil you. The game is so so good and has tons of ways to play it.

It's true. So many fun elements. They took every fun part of the game and just made it the best version possible. Every multi ball is so exciting trying to get all four picks and then blowing the machine up. Collecting the coffin hurry ups and permanently lighting a lane is so addictive. Crank it Up is insanely high pressure fun EVERY TIME - one ball, every shot worth a ton, trying to get 2x before you hit that scoop (and missing the scoop over and over again always with seconds left on 2x!). Getting to Blackened while looping those ramps. There just isn't a single element of the game that isn't truly fun.

#13516 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

It's true. So many fun elements. They took every fun part of the game and just made it the best version possible. Every multi ball is so exciting trying to get all four picks and then blowing the machine up. Collecting the coffin hurry ups and permanently lighting a lane is so addictive. Crank it Up is insanely high pressure fun EVERY TIME - one ball, every shot worth a ton, trying to get 2x before you hit that scoop (and missing the scoop over and over again always with seconds left on 2x!). Getting to Blackened while looping those ramps. There just isn't a single element of the game that isn't truly fun.

Yep this game is awesome for sure! I just recently got one but im out of the honeymoon phase, but i still feel like im on my honeymoon with it. Pinball doesn't get any better than MET really.

#13517 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

(and missing the scoop over and over again always with seconds left on 2x!). Getting to Blackened while looping those ramps.

Truly is amazing how Lyman was able to code in the game to shrink that scoop down when that shot is critical. Still not sure how he does it. Shrinks 30% when lit for CIU or to collect but outside of those modes it's a huge wide open shot. He's a magician

Glad I'm not the only one. I literally tell myself that shot means nothing when I need it which inevitably makes things worse.

#13518 5 years ago

No kidding. I suddenly become a pro hitting the right orbit when shooting for the scoop. Ball falls in the scoop by accident all during the game but rarely when you need it.

One cool trick that new owners may not be aware of is that you can get the ball to go into the scoop without even flipping on a plunge. Just hold down the left flipper on almost a full plunge. This let's the ball come around the orbit for a skill shot. Don't flip. Let the ball hit the left flipper and if you do it right it will bounce right into the scoop. Might require a little nudge. Tricky to do but pretty cool when it works.

#13519 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

No kidding. I suddenly become a pro hitting the right orbit when shooting for the scoop. Ball falls in the scoop by accident all during the game but rarely when you need it.
One cool trick that new owners may not be aware of is that you can get the ball to go into the scoop without even flipping on a plunge. Just hold down the left flipper on almost a full plunge. This let's the ball come around the orbit for a skill shot. Don't flip. Let the ball hit the left flipper and if you do it right it will bounce right into the scoop. Might require a little nudge. Tricky to do but pretty cool when it works.

On my game, when I plunge the orbit post is always up, so that it drops into the pops always, is this not right?

#13520 5 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

On my game, when I plunge the orbit post is always up, so that it drops into the pops always, is this not right?

Reread the post....HOLD THE LEFT FLIPPER BUTTON BEFORE YOU PLUNGE....keep holding and the ball will scream all the way round the orbit.

#13521 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Reread the post....HOLD THE LEFT FLIPPER BUTTON BEFORE YOU PLUNGE....keep holding and the ball will scream all the way round the orbit.

Cool.
Thanks for clarification on that, I'll give it a go when I get home

#13522 5 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Cool.
Thanks for clarification on that, I'll give it a go when I get home

Holding the left flipper down before you plunge will also give you a chance to lock a row of inserts for a few seconds(they will be blinking),it’s a skill shot that will help you get to crank it up a little quicker if you can hit it.

#13523 5 years ago

I had a pretty awesome game last night. I had 2x running and cashed out a huge cui bonus. So awesome. Best I have ever done in a cui mode. One question, where does the mystery awards come from in cui modes? I've seen them as low as 2m and had one close to 20m last night. What are your high cui scores?

20180530_215209 (resized).jpg20180530_215209 (resized).jpg
#13524 5 years ago

Not certain, but i thought the CIU mystery awards were from pic target sets completed during the CIU mode?

#13525 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Not certain, but i thought the CIU mystery awards were from pic target sets completed during the CIU mode?

I'm not sure how the points are awarded either, but I believe you increase the "level" of mystery awards by lighting the inlane lights. So every time you light all 5 lights at the inlanes and pop bumpers you move up another "level". Each level is suppose to increase awards given in mystery.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13526 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I'm not sure how the points are awarded either, but I believe you increase the "level" of mystery awards by lighting the inlane lights. So every time you light all 5 lights at the inlanes and pop bumpers you move up another "level". Each level is suppose to increase awards given in mystery.

This is correct.

While in crank it up I've only ever gotten a free CIU shot when collecting a mystery shot. I've never tried completing pics though while in CIU as I'm trying to avoid them since they aren't of any value in the mode and cause instant death a lot. May be a good, glass of journey if I can ever get my game working again

My daughter is so pissed she hasn't been able to play it for a week now. "Daddy, when are you going to fix my favorite game." Spend an hour or so a night on it with zero progress....

#13527 5 years ago

I thought the mystery award just gave you a shot since it was often in the 2-4m range. I was just really surprised to get almost 20m. After giving me that award, game did then give me 50m for completing the ciu mode. I did have 2x running so maybe the mystery award was really 10m but that is still a lot for a mystery award.

@85Vette - what's wrong with your game? Switch column? Cool your daughter likes to play. I have a daughter who thinks pinball is stupid. My two boys used to play a little but can't be bothered now.

#13528 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

@85Vette - what's wrong with your game? Switch column? Cool your daughter likes to play. I have a daughter who thinks pinball is stupid. My two boys used to play a little but can't be bothered now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sam-whole-switch-column-went-out

Yes, a whole switch column went out. I thought it was the board but when I moved the connector one pin all switches that moved to that pin worked fine and the switches on this column still didn't work. I thought I had it fixed when I re-installed a switch but it failed again after 2 games (odd it worked for those two games).

I'm super stumped and frustrated at this point so am open to suggestions.

Guess this is my punishment for taking an LE to TPF (tournament bank) as it's never been right since I've gotten it back home

I actually have a video when it stopped working again as I happened to be taking a video, just for fun, of my kids playing. Stopped working and my daughter went full POed 8 year old about it. I'll load it up as it's entertaining... My son doesn't play it (he's always camped out at TF) but she pulls a stool up to MET and just camps their.

***edit*** Video uploaded.

#13529 5 years ago

That sucks. Hate those kind of problems and not really good at figuring them out. I had some similar problems with my Congo and spent weeks looking over all the wiring. Eventually figured out loom that was hanging low was catching on the speaker mesh grill when the playfield was pushed in. Wire insulation was compromised and wires were shorting. Only thing I can think to suggest is just check over all the wiring. Did you call Stern? Maybe they can provide some help.

#13530 5 years ago

85vett I love how your son decides to react like his sister....cracks me up.

#13531 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

This!

That really cracked me up. My soon to be 11 and 13 year old girls could care less about pinball, I envy you .

#13532 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I think you are right. Its more likely the inlane rollover sets. Not pic sets.

Rick

#13533 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I think you are right. Its more likely the inlane rollover sets. Not pic sets.
Rick

In-lanes diffidently lite mystery and increase the mystery levels.

Quoted from dnapac:

Quoted from roar:

This!
That really cracked me up. My soon to be 11 and 13 year old girls could care less about pinball, I envy you .

He mirrors everything she does. We are lucky (so far at least) as they get along great and are best friends. He's 2 and she is 8 so I'm sure it will change at some point. My son always enjoyed pinball but just recently has been able to reach both flippers. My daughter couldn't have cared less until I came home with the 4th place TPF trophy. Now she wants to beat Robert and Colin (both local and come to my house sometimes) to play. I told her if she can figure out that trick then to please fill me in on the secret as they get my number 9 times out of 10.

#13534 5 years ago

Do all Metallica's have LED DMD's from Stern or do the older/wooden speaker panel's have a plasma? I've got a wooden one and plan on putting in a SmartDMD or ColorDMD solution and would like to roll my own Run-DMD and was hoping to use the DMD from my MET. If it is LED I understand I can just use the 5V supply directly form the Run-DMD board, otherwise I need to power the DMD separately if I'm not mistaken.

#13535 5 years ago

Yay! Install completed. Can't play tonight because everyone is sleeping. Boo urns. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
Fair warning to Canadians. The duty fees I was hit with for my color dmd were inexplicably high. Not trying to dissuade anyone from a color dmd. Great product. Just be prepared for that and factor it into your personal spending budget.

20180602_224522(1) (resized).jpg20180602_224522(1) (resized).jpg
#13536 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Do all Metallica's have LED DMD's from Stern or do the older/wooden speaker panel's have a plasma?

All Metallica's have led dmd's. The last Stern to have the plasma dmd was Transformers.

#13537 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Yay! Install completed. Can't play tonight because everyone is sleeping. Boo urns. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
Fair warning to Canadians. The duty fees I was hit with for my color dmd were inexplicably high. Not trying to dissuade anyone from a color dmd. Great product. Just be prepared for that and factor it into your personal spending budget.

So worth it...can’t speak fo my Canadian brethren...but so worth it. Really is a huge improvement!

#13538 5 years ago

For MET Premium/LE owners:

Check the power connector on your RGB driver board, under the middle of the playfield. The power connector on mine is starting to discolor and will need to be replaced. It was very warm to the touch when I noticed this too, so the pins must be getting hot.

Maybe this connector needs an upgrade with trifurcon pins.

Rob

20180602_214659 (resized).jpg20180602_214659 (resized).jpg

#13539 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

So worth it...can’t speak fo my Canadian brethren...but so worth it. Really is a huge improvement!

Omg. Got battery ciu, grave multi, Sparky multi and justice for all. What an improvement!! Still waiting on some parts but I'm really liking how this is all coming together.
Does anyone have any tips for replacing the ugly yellow instructions though. Point me in the right direction for other options please. (Not those light inserts though)
Thanks as always

#13540 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Omg. Got battery ciu, grave multi, Sparky multi and justice for all. What an improvement!! Still waiting on some parts but I'm really liking how this is all coming together.
Does anyone have any tips for replacing the ugly yellow instructions though. Point me in the right direction for other options please. (Not those light inserts though)
Thanks as always

MET is a fun game isnt it? I haven't been getting serious with it but i need to bear down and give it my all. Ive mostly been working on mine lately. Got it all done though except i need to realign the auto plunger and then she'll be in tip top shape!

#13541 5 years ago

Wow. What an improvement.

#13542 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Looks amazing. Easy install?

#13543 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Did you put anything around it to fill the gap?

#13544 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I put some black electrical tape. That stopped the bleeding of light from the back box. I thought someone here was working on a 3d printed frame to take care of this...but haven’t seen any finished product. Another goo option is to get some of that black foam weather stripping to fill in the gap.

#13545 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac: I thought someone here was working on a 3d printed frame to take care of this...but haven’t seen any finished product. Another goo option is to get some of that black foam weather stripping to fill in the gap.

PinMonk did a great job on these, he started a thread for them :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-gasket-for-angled-stern-speaker-panels

86309294-CCD3-4425-B082-140791B9F5C8.jpeg86309294-CCD3-4425-B082-140791B9F5C8.jpeg
#13546 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Looks amazing. Easy install?

Very. Not the best instructions but a couple YouTube videos later and I was set

#13547 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

No. Not even remotely noticeable unless you are right at it (at least on mine)

#13548 5 years ago

Are the LEDs in the MET Pro LED model color,changing LEDs? Any other significant differences between the original MET Pro and the MET Pro LED?

#13549 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Are the LEDs in the MET Pro LED model color,changing LEDs? Any other significant differences between the original MET Pro and the MET Pro LED?

Different speaker panel, wood on the old, metal on the new. So if you are planning on adding a ColorDMD there is an additional cost to accommodate the metal one.

#13550 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Pro doesn’t have color changing LED’s. Prem/LE only has color changing inserts under the arrow. So just few of them.

I highly recommend Mike’s Total Lightshow mod for the Pro. It adds interactive GI and the additional red and blue LED’s. So you basically get a Pro with the exact same lightshow (and more) as the Prem/LE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 21,646 posts in this topic. You are on page 271 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/271?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.