IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 261 of 433.
#13001 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Did you see that Marco apparently has them in stock? The image is wrong though, so you might want to confirm with them:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=metallica+translite

Nevermind I see it.

#13002 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

where did you get those "M" icons in your speakers? Can't find them....

Pinballbulbs.com has them and the ninja star ones.

#13003 5 years ago

Does anyone know where I could buy just the "M" logo for the speaker grills? I don't want the lights, just the "M".

#13004 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Did you see that Marco apparently has them in stock? The image is wrong though, so you might want to confirm with them:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=metallica+translite

Trying to buy - not letting me.

#13005 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Thanks - just bought the kit and M acrylic.

#13006 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I clicked your link it is a PRO translite.

#13007 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

I clicked your link it is a PRO translite.

There's two. One is Pro. The other SAYS Premium/LE -- but has the wrong picture, so I don't know if the picture is wrong or the text is wrong.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13008 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Can you provide a link? I am not finding them...

#13009 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

There's two. One is Pro. The other SAYS Premium/LE -- but has the wrong picture, so I don't know if the picture is wrong or the text is wrong.

Haha lol wow. I saw the picture of the coil next to it and didn’t even read the words below it lol

#13010 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Haha lol wow. I saw the picture of the coil next to it and didn’t even read the words below it lol

I did the same thing.

#13011 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Can you provide a link? I am not finding them...

www.pinballbulbs.com/speaker-light-kits
Once you pick what color light you want, you can choose what acrylic you want.

#13012 5 years ago

so the translite on marco is Roadcase NOT MONSTERS. My journey continues ; ) Thanks for the alert though.

#13013 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so the translite on marco is Roadcase NOT MONSTERS. My journey continues ; ) Thanks for the alert though.

Awww, that sucks. Sorry.

#13014 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You're not gonna own it long enough to worry it man! Haha (friendly poke!)

#13015 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Awww, that sucks. Sorry.

Actually - great news. They confirmed it was monsters, the person made a mistake. I'm all good!

#13016 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You're not gonna own it long enough to worry it man! Haha (friendly poke!)

haha - I do lose interest quick but for the price point and fun factor, this pin is as safe as you can get when you're owned by me!

#13017 5 years ago

Wow! Stern let them sell the Monsters translite...I see many switching soon! Glad you found what you wanted.

#13018 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Wow! Stern let them sell the Monsters translite...I see many switching soon! Glad you found what you wanted.

I don’t. Not a fan of the “monsters”. Rather have the Pro translite. Now, if you can find someone selling Master of Puppets....

#13019 5 years ago

Agreed. I’d rather give that $150 to Dirty Donny for my blacklight poster obsession / collection.

#13020 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Agreed. I’d rather give that $150 to Dirty Donny for my blacklight poster obsession / collection.

Yeah...I couldn’t resist and picked up a couple from him at TPF. So now I need a proper black light. Probably gonna display my vasoline glass as well. Google that if you have never heard of it.

#13021 5 years ago

Well if anyone wants my pro translite lmk. Otherwise will put on marketplace

#13022 5 years ago

I was printing apron cards for my B/W pins and I realized the cards in my Met Pro were not the same shape and are only 3"x5".

The ones I see online are wider, and would need to squished/stretched to print 3x5 shape. Does anyone make apron cards that are the right shape?

#13023 5 years ago

Damn Delt, been on the same hunt forever on a Prem translite too!
They indicate sold out now but glad you found it. At least I know it’s not impossible!

#13024 5 years ago

Sparky says hi to the club!

IMG_6918 (resized).jpgIMG_6918 (resized).jpg

#13025 5 years ago

I’ve been having an intermittent problem with the trough switches. A couple times a ball would drain and would not be recognized so another doesn’t exit into the shooter lane. After a few ball searches the ball/round will end and a new ball will eject for the next ball/round. I went to switch test and ejected balls while watching the test screen. After a number of ejects I noticed at one point non of the switches registered. I then put the ball in the drain and they all registered again. I adjusted the switches and it seems to work better, but it did happen again.

So getting to the question, what could cause all the switches not register at one point or could it just be I need to tweak the switches some more?

#13026 5 years ago

I would also check the following depending on the age of your game
- are any of the balls magnetized?
- are there any flat spots in the trough where a really slow moving ball is getting hung up on and not triggering a switch?

#13027 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I’ve been having an intermittent problem with the trough switches. A couple times a ball would drain and would not be recognized so another doesn’t exit into the shooter lane. After a few ball searches the ball/round will end and a new ball will eject for the next ball/round. I went to switch test and ejected balls while watching the test screen. After a number of ejects I noticed at one point non of the switches registered. I then put the ball in the drain and they all registered again. I adjusted the switches and it seems to work better, but it did happen again.
So getting to the question, what could cause all the switches not register at one point or could it just be I need to tweak the switches some more?

Reconnect the large "Z" connector for the ball trough. Also reconnect the two smaller connectors on the opto boards on the trough.

#13028 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

- are there any flat spots in the trough where a really slow moving ball is getting hung up on and not triggering a switch?

I checked the balls and they are fine. They were installed about a month ago and are carbon. The trough looks ok, but I’ll double check. The game is only about 8-9 months old.

#13029 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Reconnect the large "Z" connector for the ball trough. Also reconnect the two smaller connectors on the opto boards on the trough.

I’ll do this. Is the “z” connector under the playfield next to the trough?

#13030 5 years ago

Yes, it's a big connector, about 20 pins.

#13031 5 years ago

Perfect thank you. I’ll update in about a week after I give it a good test.

#13032 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

So, although I checked the magnatism I apparently didn’t do a good job at it. After further inspection this morning I could see the balls weren’t moving all the way down the trough after the first ball was ejected. I took the balls out and put them on a table. I touched one ball to another and pulled it on the table. The second ball stayed attached to the ball I was pulling. This only happened for one of the balls, but it was enough to have a problem. Thank you for all the help. Great community.

#13033 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

So, although I checked the magnatism I apparently didn’t do a good job at it. After further inspection this morning I could see the balls weren’t moving all the way down the trough after the first ball was ejected. I took the balls out and put them on a table. I touched one ball to another and pulled it on the table. The second ball stayed attached to the ball I was pulling. This only happened for one of the balls, but it was enough to have a problem. Thank you for all the help. Great community.

Nothing worse than getting your balls magnatized.

#13034 5 years ago

Does anyone know if Stern still has plans to pump out Metalicca Pro LEDs?

My distributer seems unsure, and seeing they recently discontinued TWD, I'm wondering how much longer MET might be going.

#13035 5 years ago

Depending on when the license ends they will run them if they can sell them. It’s been in production for like 4 -5 years now...long run for a modern pin. Would be curious to know if it has finally outsold AC/DC. My guess is yes but this could be the last year they are run and in 3-4 years it could be an early vault edition.

This is by far the most active owners thread. And every couple months it seems there are waves of new owners posting and for about a month all the old issues and must have mods are discussed again.

Last run has been posted several times with only more runs to follow. My suggestion is anyone wanting one with cash ready to go look for one now...otherwise save up and find a used one. Plenty out there for sure. Otherwise you could be waiting a few years if they run a vault.

#13036 5 years ago

It’s crazy for sure. When I started this thread, I thought Stern would run Metallica for a year or so. Now it looks like MET might be the last SAM-based pin off the line.

#13037 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’s crazy for sure. When I started this thread, I thought Stern would run Metallica for a year or so. Now it looks like MET might be the last SAM-based pin off the line.

Better late than never. I'm in the club finally. Build date Sept 2017.

#13038 5 years ago

Going back to the ColorDMD question, I wanted to throw in my two cents. I've only had experience with the LCD in the past, so I decided to try the LED on Metallica. The LED is the same size basically as the original DMD, so the fit is amazingly clean and it is not offset back into the head at all. When I first started using it, it looked like total shit. Some of the shades in the animations were not even visible. It took me a ton of time to get the contrast, RGB and brightness correct. Once that was done it still didn't look very good because there was reflection from the playfield lights onto the display itself, the black was not very black and the colors were *too* sharp for my taste. Not to mention there was reflection on the playfield glass which I know doesn't happen with the LCD version. I read that the Comet glare guard helped these problems, so I put one it and bam! It looks a whole lot better now. The blacks are blacker and there is no reflection either way. Also the colors are toned down just a bit.

In the end, the LCD might look a little better still but the clean installation of the LED is sure nice. A week ago I was thinking about trying to trade the LED for an LCD, but now I am going to just stick with what I've got. It is not big enough difference at this point to warrant the trouble and I don't like the hi-res mode on most games.

#13039 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Going back to the ColorDMD question, I wanted to throw in my two cents. I've only had experience with the LCD in the past, so I decided to try the LED on Metallica. The LED is the same size basically as the original DMD, so the fit is amazingly clean and it is not offset back into the head at all. When I first started using it, it looked like total shit. Some of the shades in the animations were not even visible. It took me a ton of time to get the contrast, RGB and brightness correct. Once that was done it still didn't look very good because there was reflection from the playfield lights onto the display itself, the black was not very black and the colors were *too* sharp for my taste. Not to mention there was reflection on the playfield glass which I know doesn't happen with the LCD version. I read that the Comet glare guard helped these problems, so I put one it and bam! It looks a whole lot better now. The blacks are blacker and there is no reflection either way. Also the colors are toned down just a bit.
In the end, the LCD might look a little better still but the clean installation of the LED is sure nice. A week ago I was thinking about trying to trade the LED for an LCD, but now I am going to just stick with what I've got. It is not big enough difference at this point to warrant the trouble and I don't like the hi-res mode on most games.

and a Bent Plastic helps with the blacks but it only covers about 75% of the led dmd.

#13040 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Can you share your settings and the link for the glare? I have a LED which I would never buy (LCD is so much better) but it's DE and didn't want to break/perm modify it.

#13041 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Can you share your settings and the link for the glare? I have a LED which I would never buy (LCD is so much better) but it's DE and didn't want to break/perm modify it.

Some quotes from the LED vs LCD thread straight from ColorDMD:

Quoted from Dmod:

The menus should be orange when RGB/RBG is set correctly (instead of magenta).

Quoted from Dmod:

Brightness doesn't affect the rendering or picture quality. Contrast applies a different nonlinear mapping to the brightness levels. Lower contrast settings give better darks (closer to black). Higher contrast gives more contrast relative to black (OFF) but compresses the levels toward maximum brightness.

Right now I am set at Contrast of 8 and Brightness of 9. Before the glare guard I had the brightness a little lower.

#13042 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Great write up thank you,
Would someone be kind enough to post or link to a photo from side of installed MET LCD please ?
Curious to know how far back it sits ?

Would really like to see some pics of LED on MET if possible

"the LCD might look a little better still but the clean installation of the LED is sure nice"

Cheers,
Ando

#13043 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Great write up thank you,
Would someone be kind enough to post or link to a photo from side of installed MET LCD please ?
Curious to know how far back it sits ?
Would really like to see some pics of LED on MET if possible
"the LCD might look a little better still but the clean installation of the LED is sure nice"
Cheers,
Ando

Here’s the LCD. I tried to show the gap on the sides. It looks better than normal install because I installed black electrical tape to hide some of the gap. The screen also sticks above the display window and you center the actual image on the display window. This doesn’t bother me as you don’t see it once the translite is installed. It was super easy to install.

AAF4ED0A-966E-41D9-9C3B-B138A5732850 (resized).jpegAAF4ED0A-966E-41D9-9C3B-B138A5732850 (resized).jpeg

2808FF16-31AB-4759-AA17-A8839C970851 (resized).jpeg2808FF16-31AB-4759-AA17-A8839C970851 (resized).jpeg

683A4134-418F-4F6E-B61D-17BF605A96AE (resized).jpeg683A4134-418F-4F6E-B61D-17BF605A96AE (resized).jpeg

#13044 5 years ago

Perfect !
Thanks for the great photos !
The LCD looks really smooth

I'm really fussy and thought the screen being so far recessed would be annoying to my OCD

I doesn't look to bad at all, I think I could live with it and I guess would be hard to notice front on.

Anyone know of plans for a flush mount LCD ?

Would really like to see comparison photos of LED

Thanks again for helping out dnapac !
btw your Monsters looks Awesome !

#13045 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Perfect !
I'm really fussy and thought the screen being so far recessed would be annoying to my OCD
I doesn't look to bad at all, I think I could live with it and I guess would be hard to notice front on.

Love the Monsters translite...paid a ton for it, but worth it. Macrospecialties.com supposedly is selling them, but says out of stock...ask delt31 if they got theirs. Last I talked to Stern, they said they wouldn’t sell any. The color dmd is the best mod...and I have quite a few. I’m not a fan of dots...so the lcd looks sweet...highly recommend it. If you like dots, lcd can be set that way.

#13046 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Perfect !

The gap with the LCD colordmd triggered my OCD as well. I bought some self adhesive foam weatherstripping from Home Depot. It works really well to hide all unwanted stuff.

#13047 5 years ago

Hey guys, hopefully I’ll be able to join the Metallica family as well very soon. Hope to have my MET arrived within two weeks or so.

Now I’m desperately searching for the snake mod but specially the “3D version”. Any ideas where I might find it?
Also the snake fangs seem to become quite rare. Do they break easily? Otherwise I might consider passing on them.

Thanks!

#13048 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Do the snake fangs break easily? Otherwise I might consider passing on them.
Thanks!

I was worried about this too, from some postings in here, but I have had my snake fangs installed for about 6 months and haven't had any issues with them.
Got mine at Mezelmods.com and I definitely needed the offset screwdriver they recommend for installation.

#13049 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Now I’m desperately searching for the snake mod but specially the “3D version”. Any ideas where I might find it?

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/metallica-3d-snake-mod-for-stern-pinball

Grab it quick, while it's back in stock.

#13050 5 years ago

Thanks! It isn't listed under Metallica mods so I couldn't find it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 49.99
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 26.50
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 261 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/261 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.