711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,646 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 433.
#12801 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Pinball Life, easy to install. I put mine in about a year ago. At first I still had a bunch of rejects, now I can't remember the last time I had one. Even with a fast orbit shot.

Wonder why it didnt change it when you first put it in? Could you please provide me a link for that?

#12802 6 years ago

Has anyone had any problems with the sound fading in and out? I do have an external sub. Sometimes its fine, sometimes it gets very quiet for awhile, then goes back to normal volume

#12803 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wonder why it didnt change it when you first put it in? Could you please provide me a link for that?

Everything you need to know about the metal post is up in the key posts for the thread.
I have no idea what changed. I releveled it a few months back, but I can't remember if I was getting rejects before that or not.

#12804 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Everything you need to know about the metal post is up in the key posts for the thread.
I have no idea what changed. I releveled it a few months back, but I can't remember if I was getting rejects before that or not.

Thanks for the info, i didnt even know that key post feature was there lol. I will get that ordered and hopefully it helps some.

Metal post is ordered and will be on its way soon! I really hope it helps with the left orbit rejects, that would be awesome. This is my most favorite game in my lineup now and yes that includes TWD even. I cant get enough of this game!

#12805 6 years ago

The metal post really helped on my original machine.

Also, ColorDMD for this game is incredible. It's one of the main reasons I want to get back into this club. I was so hesitant at first, but when I finally put one in my TWD... it was like a whole new game.

Have you gotten your first "Jack Fuckin' Pot!!" yet? When I got my first I was so pumped for the rest of the day. hahaha

#12806 6 years ago

I've heard the jack fuckin pot a few times. Not sure what I did to get it

#12807 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I've heard the jack fuckin pot a few times. Not sure what I did to get it

Sparky multiball
+
2x from ball in snake for 20s
+
2x from shooting left piston lane
+
Hit sparky for a jack pot

#12808 6 years ago

So I replaced the magnet board, hoping all of my hammer problems would go away, but no... Same thing. The hammer sometimes just stops trying to sense the ball, and only powercycling the machine fixes it. I can't tell if the magnet is grabbing the ball better than before when it does work, or if that's just a placebo though - hard to tell.

Here' the original thread where I posted my troubleshooting steps:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter

In addition, I heard some beeping in the machine again today. I noticed it a few times in the past as well. Unfortunately as soon as I open the coindoor, the beeping stops, so I can't tell where it's coming from, but it sounds like it's the back of the machine (not the backbox). Here's a link with the repetitive sound (it gets a little loud halfway through as I moved my phone - sorry).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtRZTVJToVJeoBw9j0fW5b2iRicH

Not sure if it's related or not though.

So frustrating.

#12809 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

So I replaced the magnet board, hoping all of my hammer problems would go away, but no... Same thing. The hammer sometimes just stops trying to sense the ball, and only powercycling the machine fixes it. I can't tell if the magnet is grabbing the ball better than before when it does work, or if that's just a placebo though - hard to tell.
Here' the original thread where I posted my troubleshooting steps:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter
In addition, I heard some beeping in the machine again today. I noticed it a few times in the past as well. Unfortunately as soon as I open the coindoor, the beeping stops, so I can't tell where it's coming from, but it sounds like it's the back of the machine (not the backbox). Here's a link with the repetitive sound (it gets a little loud halfway through as I moved my phone - sorry).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtRZTVJToVJeoBw9j0fW5b2iRicH
Not sure if it's related or not though.
So frustrating.

That sucks man sorry to hear about that. I assume you are working with Chaz on it right? He will figure it out i bet in time. When i power my game off i hear a beep like you would hear when the game is in switch test mode, is that normal?

#12810 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

The metal post really helped on my original machine.
Also, ColorDMD for this game is incredible. It's one of the main reasons I want to get back into this club. I was so hesitant at first, but when I finally put one in my TWD... it was like a whole new game.
Have you gotten your first "Jack Fuckin' Pot!!" yet? When I got my first I was so pumped for the rest of the day. hahaha

I hope the post helps for sure. I havent got a jack fuckin pot yet lol. I hope i do though one day! Color lcd is a must for me. I think the lcd is the one that looks the smoothest and most colorful right?

#12811 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I heard some beeping in the machine again today.

Start unplugging boards and mechs and test until the beeping stops to track it down. Start with the new board.

#12812 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Start unplugging boards and mechs and test until the beeping stops to track it down. Start with the new board.

The problem is that it's VERY intermittent. I've only heard the beeping maybe 4 times total (and only once with the new magnet board installed).

Quoted from Who-Dey:

That sucks man sorry to hear about that. I assume you are working with Chaz on it right? He will figure it out i bet in time. When i power my game off i hear a beep like you would hear when the game is in switch test mode, is that normal?

I sent Stern an email explaining what was happening and David Carver said he thought it was the magnet board. I'm not the original owner (but the machine is only about a year old), so will they still help me out? I wasn't sure how that worked...

#12813 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The problem is that it's VERY intermittent. I've only heard the beeping maybe 4 times total (and only once with the new magnet board installed).

I sent Stern an email explaining what was happening and David Carver said he thought it was the magnet board. I'm not the original owner (but the machine is only about a year old), so will they still help me out? I wasn't sure how that worked...

Call Chaz at Stern and i bet he can help you. I don't know the number right off hand but maybe someone can post it.

#12814 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Call Chaz at Stern and i bet he can help you. I don't know the number right off hand but maybe someone can post it.

Isn't it still 1-800-KICKERS ?

#12815 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Isn't it still 1-800-KICKERS ?

It is. Quite hard calling that 'nr' from Europe

#12816 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

What coffin lock mechanism in the backbox? (maybe I don't want to know what I'm missing though.....)

the older sterns with a wooden back box had a "coffin lock" mechanism (also known as roto lock) for securing the back box in it's locked, upright position. it uses a large 5/16" hex wrench tool to engage/dis-engage the lock

coffin lock (resized).jpgcoffin lock (resized).jpg

#12817 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I hope the post helps for sure. I havent got a jack fuckin pot yet lol. I hope i do though one day! Color lcd is a must for me. I think the lcd is the one that looks the smoothest and most colorful right?

That is all personal preference.

The LCD can smooth the DMD images (no dots) but the colors are a little duller. (the LCD can also do virtual dots in regular and XL size)

The LED is only dots and the colors pop more, but I've seen complaints about the dots being spaced too far apart.

With that being said...

I prefer the LED with the dots and colors that pop more. After a while, the dot spacing issue went away for me and it looks natural. Plus I like that it's an exact replacement for the existing DMD. The LCD is a bit bigger and has to be set a little father back in the panel.

#12818 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I prefer the LED with the dots and colors that pop more. After a while, the dot spacing issue went away for me and it looks natural. Plus I like that it's an exact replacement for the existing DMD. The LCD is a bit bigger and has to be set a little father back in the panel.

I think it also depends on the game. For example, I went LED on my T2 because it fit the theme (and the age) better, but I have LCD for my MET Pre.

#12819 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I think it also depends on the game. For example, I went LED on my T2 because it fit the theme (and the age) better, but I have LCD for my MET Pre.

Me too.. LCD in MET... LED in BSD... Johnny mnemonic will eventually get an LED as well

#12820 6 years ago

Just ordered colordmd lcd. I ordered sat morning, and it got here monday!!

#12821 6 years ago

What I don't like about the led is that the blacks aren't truly black like the lcd.

#12822 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What I don't like about the led is that the blacks aren't truly black like the lcd.

Unless you’re playing in a black space (no light)not a problem. But, everyone should choose what is best for them. I have an lcd...and love it.

#12823 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I believe that you've got that backwards. the LCD panel emits a faint glow across the entire display, so you don't get true blacks. on the LED panel, if an LED isn't lit up, it's truly black. I've got an LED panel in my MET and and LCD panel in my CftBL

#12824 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I believe that you've got that backwards. the LCD panel emits a faint glow across the entire display, so you don't get true blacks. on the LED panel, if an LED isn't lit up, it's truly black. I've got an LED panel in my MET and and LCD panel in my CftBL

It's not a mater of the leds being lit it's a matter of the pf lighting up the off leds with pf reflected light, the leds are actually a frosted white color when off and they reflect the pf lights. Put a Bent Plastic guard on your led game and you'll see what I mean. I have one on my T3 with an led display and 3/4 of the display is truly black while the top 1/4 where the Bent Plastic doesn't block the lit pf is a gray color. I have Met with an lcd right next to T3 and Met is nice and black compared to T3 with no Bent Plastic on it. The games are right next to each other so it's easy to compare.

#12825 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's not a mater of the leds being lit it's a matter of the pf lighting up the off leds with pf reflected light, the leds are actually a frosted white color when off and they reflect the pf lights. Put a Bent Plastic guard on your led game and you'll see what I mean. I have one on my T3 with an led display and 3/4 of the display is truly black while the top 1/4 where the Bent Plastic doesn't block the lit pf is a gray color. I have Met with an lcd right next to T3 and Met is nice and black compared to T3 with no Bent Plastic on it. The games are right next to each other so it's easy to compare.

Easy fix... install one of these: http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1892.htm

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#12826 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Glare guards from Comet in combination with the LED work amazingly well.

#12828 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've got one, I'll have to try that.

Yeah I might have to pick one of them up on my next comet order. I'm not happy with the LED look vs the LCD.

#12829 6 years ago

Hey I got a MET from Swampfire on a temp trade. Played just a couple of days and yeah you guessed it - I want one. Surprising huh? Have the trade on for a bit and will look around for a HUO MET.

Wanted to ask if any of you have heard how long stern extended the MET license?

#12830 6 years ago

I don't think anyone knows. Stern just keeps making them. It's like printing money since demand is always there. I thought they were ending production when I bought mine well over a year ago.

#12831 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't think anyone knows. Stern just keeps making them. It's like printing money since demand is always there. I thought they were ending production when I bought mine well over a year ago.

Yeah I bought mine in a hurry back in June because they weren't going to make them anymore. Definitely do not regret my decision though.

#12832 6 years ago

anyone know where i can buy a premium monsters translite?

#12833 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I put an ad looking for one about a year and a half ago (your best bet). I got lucky and found one. They look awesome, but not cheap. Still glad I was able to get one. Good luck!

#12834 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I put an ad looking for one about a year and a half ago (your best bet). I got lucky and found one. They look awesome, but not cheap. Still glad I was able to get one. Good luck!

Yeah I put up an ad too. I do like the look. Thanks

#12835 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Took about 9 months of searching for one, including trying distros and stern directly. Can’t get one unless you prove it’s for a replacement of a damaged one.

Found a guy on pinside who hated his premium and wanted a pro translite.

We swapped translites + cash going his way.

#12836 6 years ago

damn I would do that in two seconds. OK - journey seems long but hopefully someone is out there looking for a change and wants a pro T and cash+++!

#12837 6 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Took about 9 months of searching for one, including trying distros and stern directly. Can’t get one unless you prove it’s for a replacement of a damaged one.
Found a guy on pinside who hated his premium and wanted a pro translite.
We swapped translites + cash going his way.

I looked back on my messages. You had messaged me about how I got the Monsters translite. Glad you got one! @delt31, you may have to update/bump your want add every now and then, but I bet you find one.

#12838 6 years ago

Can you post a picture of the one you want? I've got a couple, not sure which ones they are. I do know, one is the road case ( ugly as fuk ) one.

#12839 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Can you post a picture of the one you want? I've got a couple, not sure which ones they are. I do know, one is the road case ( ugly as fuk ) one.

This is the premium monsters translite. If you got one, I’m sure delt31 would appreciate a pm.

4D0FF6BE-B2A3-4328-BF13-50A85B26379D (resized).jpeg4D0FF6BE-B2A3-4328-BF13-50A85B26379D (resized).jpeg

#12840 6 years ago

I would LOVE the PM! And yes, that is it!

#12841 6 years ago

Can anyone explain how to install the Cliffy mystery hole protector. I took off the nut and washer on the bottom of the Playfield but up above there's very limited access. Do i need to try to take anything else off up above like plastics, metal rails.... or do I tap out the post with a hammer from below or do I have to sit there with a needle nose pliers and turn it 1/8 of a turn for two inches?

#12842 6 years ago
Quoted from Brad76:

Can anyone explain how to install the Cliffy mystery hole protector. I took off the nut and washer on the bottom of the Playfield but up above there's very limited access. Do i need to try to take anything else off up above like plastics, metal rails.... or do I tap out the post with a hammer from below or do I have to sit there with a needle nose pliers and turn it 1/8 of a turn for two inches?

The plastics above the scoop need to be removed so you can get at the post. I haven’t reinstalled my cliffy here on my replacement field because that post is a major PITA to remove. Takes forever. Not sure why Stern had to use such a long post. I wouldn’t tap it out. You need to unscrew it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#12843 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Unfor no monsters available so the hunt continues!!

#12844 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Unfor no monsters available so the hunt continues!!

Bummer. It’ll just take some time.

#12845 6 years ago

This may be a dumb question but why doesn't Stern just sell these? I mean, what would the negative be?

#12846 6 years ago

Just to clarify directions for the mystery hole Cliffy protector. yes the Plastics need to come off. Take off the nut and wash your underneath the Playfield on that post. You can leave the one with the two lights attached if you kind of spin it sideways. Meaning you can leave the lights connected but you would have to unattach the plastic. From the little hex stem posts. Then the metal ramp also will come off next step is you are going to need a long socket to get that post off. Probably about a 25 minute job.

#12847 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

This may be a dumb question but why doesn't Stern just sell these? I mean, what would the negative be?

The way I see it is that they don’t want the premiums and LE’s to feel less “special”. If they just sold any translite to anyone then why not just buy a Master Of Puppets translite and slap it on a pro? It would cheapen the feel of the higher trim level machines and make them feel like everyone has the same thing.

#12848 6 years ago
Quoted from Brad76:

Just to clarify directions for the mystery hole Cliffy protector. yes the Plastics need to come off. Take off the nut and wash your underneath the Playfield on that post. You can leave the one with the two lights attached if you kind of spin it sideways. Meaning you can leave the lights connected but you would have to unattach the plastic. From the little hex stem posts. Then the metal ramp also will come off next step is you are going to need a long socket to get that post off. Probably about a 25 minute job.

Maybe I should’ve got a long socket...I used a fixed c-wrench...it took forever. And I had to be careful not to scratch the playfield.

#12849 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Maybe I should’ve got a long socket...I used a fixed c-wrench...it took forever. And I had to be careful not to scratch the playfield.

I scratched my plastic...

#12850 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I scratched my plastic...

Sorry man. I have a minor scratched plastic near Sparky from installing the bounce plastic...it happens...sucks when it does...but it happens. Either buy a new plastic, or accept it and enjoy playing the crap out of it. IMHO, pins are meant to be played, and certain wear is expected. Enjoy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
There are 21,646 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/257 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.