IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 255 of 433.
#12701 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Get a sub, a shaker, turn the room lights off and have your fave cocktail ready!!

Yes, absolutely! I am not a Metallica music fan. BUT this pin ROCKS!!! JUST LOVE IT. It is as close to being bolted to the floor in my revolving door of a collection as it gets.

#12702 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Get a sub, a shaker, turn the room lights off and have your fave cocktail ready!!

You know i will! A color dmd or lcd is a must also for this game. Is it the LCD that looks the best? If so how much and where can i get one at?

#12703 6 years ago

Colordmd.com
LCD is great
Runs about $400
Money well spent - PLUS if you have a problem Randy takes care of it immediately.

#12704 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You know i will! A color dmd or lcd is a must also for this game. Is it the LCD that looks the best? If so how much and where can i get one at?

I need a Color dmd myself. Look into the side blades too.

#12705 6 years ago

Never heard of any advantages of the metal backbox. It's lighter but some associate weight with quality. Some metal backboxes had problems with decal sticking. Think that was just Stern using wrong glue on one run, though. I really don't care what the back box is made of as long as it doesn't fall apart.

#12706 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Never heard of any advantages of the metal backbox. It's lighter but some associate weight with quality. Some metal backboxes had problems with decal sticking. Think that was just Stern using wrong glue on one run, though. I really don't care what the back box is made of as long as it doesn't fall apart.

Anyone know why they changed from wood to metal?

#12707 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Its not what it is made of that is an advantage. In the new design the DMD/speaker panel is tilted back a little to aim directly at the player. Makes the screen look better and reflect a lot less off the playfield glass, plus the sound is aimed better. This should have been done decades ago! Also, the panel gets artwork attached instead of just being black. Being thinner the DMD is closer to the front, so is not blocked from side angles. I much prefer the two bolts to hold the head in place instead of the old coffin lock that I constantly have my allen wrench stolen or misplaced. I always have a 5/8" wrench when I am moving games. The sides of the head are still wood, so the decals attach the same. The top and back of the head are powder coated metal which is nice and sturdy.

#12708 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Can you explain in more detail (pictures?) how to put the fuse on? Use basic terms since I'm new.

Here is a photo of my installation. You can buy the in-line fuse holder at a lot of places - I think I got a bunch of them on Ebay for a few bucks. They will come with plain wire ends. You need to install it somewhere on the purple/yellow wire leading into J1 on the magnet board. I can't remember if there was an existing 3-position Molex connector conveniently located in the harness that carries that purple/yellow wire (50v) and a black/red wire (ground) or if I added it. But in any case, I just broke that connection and put the inline fuse holder (for the purple/yel wire) and a jumper wire (for the black/red wire) in between it. You'll have to make (or have someone make it for you) the 2-wire "harness" with the Molex connectors on it. That way, you can always take this "mod" out if you ever wanted to reverse it. Hope this helps - you can PM me if you have any questions.

DSCN2518 (resized).JPGDSCN2518 (resized).JPG

#12709 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Its not what it is made of that is an advantage. In the new design the DMD/speaker panel is tilted back a little to aim directly at the player. Makes the screen look better and reflect a lot less off the playfield glass, plus the sound is aimed better. This should have been done decades ago! Also, the panel gets artwork attached instead of just being black. Being thinner the DMD is closer to the front, so is not blocked from side angles. I much prefer the two bolts to hold the head in place instead of the old coffin lock that I constantly have my allen wrench stolen or misplaced. I always have a 5/8" wrench when I am moving games. The sides of the head are still wood, so the decals attach the same. The top and back of the head are powder coated metal which is nice and sturdy.

Oh yeah, forgot about that!

#12710 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Check to make sure the PF is perfectly level left to right and at 6.5 degrees on the playfield.

It is - I double checked.

After setting up my new Star Wars Premium tonight and playing GOTG last night, I realized that the ultimate fix for this problem is to install controlled gates. The only reason I can think that Stern/Borg went to the up post was to save money. One simple mechanism to replace two more expensive mechanisms. I'm looking at the back of Metallica and it seems like there should be room to install gates on either side of the in-lanes. The big problem with this idea is that you can't just disconnect the up/down post and connect the two gates in their place because the gates work opposite of the post. Gates let the ball pass when energized and the post stops the ball when energized. So the gate mechanisms would have to operate backwards - or the software would have to be changed... Oh well. Some day I might play with this idea a little more. At least they went back with gates on the newer games.

#12711 6 years ago

My metal post never rejects, so there must be something were missing.

#12712 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

My metal post never rejects, so there must be something were missing.

Thanks. I'll have to watch it closely while someone is playing. Maybe a slight tweak on the rail might make it hit the post differently?

#12713 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Reason I was asking is because I think it will look better in a small lineup together with only Spike machines, not?

#12714 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Maybe a slight tweak on the rail might make it hit the post differently?

I was thinking that too - not too sure how much adjustment there is in that guide rail but worth a try. Another thing that may be worth a try is to change the cross-section of the post from round to triangular, so that when the ball hit it, the post might turn, absorbing some kinetic energy and deflecting the ball more into the lane area. You would have to sacrifice a post or two to grind in that new cross-section (could use the original plastic post and a file). May or may not work but probably worth a try.

#12715 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Thanks. I'll have to watch it closely while someone is playing. Maybe a slight tweak on the rail might make it hit the post differently?

Installing the metal post on my Met only slightly improved the rejection. I didn't notice a huge difference. I also have moved my machine a couple of times and double checked the level. My machine might be a little more than 6.5, but only around 7 degrees I would say.

#12716 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Try adjusting the height of the post. It took me a few tries to get it just right. I think the sweet spot for me was as low as possible without the ball getting stuck in the hole when the post lowers. Yours may be high enough that there is less give when the ball hits, so less energy is absorbed.

I have had my post on for at least a year (maybe 2 now), and I think I have had two balls fall back down the orbit since then.

#12717 6 years ago

Ok I've tried to be self sufficient but can't make heads or tails of the manual to track down some lighting issues I'm having. The start button lamp, bottom pop bumper flasher (the yellow light on top of the bumper), and the 6 flashers behind the playfield on the back panel are all not working.

I've traced what I believe to be the start button (Yel-Brn) to LED board 4, but the connections look fine and some other lights powered by this cable (left/right pop bumpers) are working fine. I've tested the start button LED in another slot, and it lights fine, and I tried testing a bulb I knew to be working in the start button but didn't light, so it seems to be wiring. I haven't gotten that far with the other lights.

Any guidance is appreciated, any any help deciphering the manual to help track down the issues would be great!

#12718 6 years ago

Are the flashers incandescent? They may be all burned out, or it could be a fuse.

#12719 6 years ago

It’s a prem. All LED. I’m fairly certain it’s a power problem not a bulb one. At least the bulbs I’ve tested seem fine. I will test the rest when I get home.

#12720 6 years ago

Cool, my extended sparky protector turned up..... now only another 7 weeks till my Met gets here

15196895760191277272733 (resized).jpg15196895760191277272733 (resized).jpg

#12721 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I have never had a single issue with my hammer and it's a very cool feature. I think a lot of that talk is from pro lovers.

Quoted from Fezmid:

... I *LOVE* the hammer - it's a great feeling when the hammer smashes the ball under the playfield with a thunderous BOOM. I wouldn't trade it.

+1 to both above. Plus the shaker action accompanying the hammer strike adds a great effect!

A day behind this discussion, but FWIW, I have to add my 2 cents as it always amazes me when the hammer is questioned or bad mouthed as I can't imagine playing MET without it if you have a choice. I've had my Premium nearly two years now and I'm still enjoying the hammer feature immensely. Undoubtedly, one of the COOLEST ball locks in pinball!

#12722 6 years ago

Oi. Hey gang I need someone proficient in Pinball Browsers help. I've donated to Oliver so if you have time to make me an update with totally horrible songs for Louisville Arcade Expo by Fri please pm me. I'd be willing to pay $50.

#12723 6 years ago

How long would the post last if you cut a line down the middle of a metal post to help with kinetic absorbtion! Does the post rotate?

#12724 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Does the post rotate?

I don't think it rotates much - there's nothing to impart rotation to it with just a circular cross-section. A solid shot up the left orbit results in the ball hitting the post and essentially rebounding back at the same angle to virtually the same spot on the guide rail every time. Apparently, minor geometrical deviation between machines can either make the ball consistently return down the left orbit or go into the pops like it was designed. So you're either lucky or you're not.

But I think if you make it triangular or fluted, now there are "fins" on the post that the ball can interact with, rotate it, and hopefully "randomize" that angle of incidence with the guide rail to enable the ball to go into the lanes hopefully every time but at least more consistently.

#12725 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Oi. Hey gang I need someone proficient in Pinball Browsers help. I've donated to Oliver so if you have time to make me an update with totally horrible songs for Louisville Arcade Expo by Fri please pm me. It pays $50.

If you really do this, I'd say you have to include this song...LOL

#12726 6 years ago

Well Murphys law strikes! Just when I'm saying how troublefree the hammer is, I burn out fuse 7 for the 5th time in 3 years. It seems to be a very rare problem with only a couple other owners reporting it, but it actually has nothing to do with the hammer itself it's the magnet. Just this time the hammer magnet was being energized and it just held the ball until the fuse blew, it's happened on Sparky as well. I'm not an electrical genius or Pinball Wizard so I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot it but again it's only happened 5 times in 3 years and seems to be very rare occurance!! Best pin ever still!!!!

0226181953 (resized).jpg0226181953 (resized).jpg

#12727 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well Murphys law strikes! Just when I'm saying how troublefree the hammer is, I burn out fuse 7 for the 5th time in 3 years. It seems to be a very rare problem with only a couple other owners reporting it, but it actually has nothing to do with the hammer itself it's the magnet. Just this time the hammer magnet was being energized and it just held the ball until the fuse blew, it's happened on Sparky as well. I'm not an electrical genius or Pinball Wizard so I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot it but again it's only happened 5 times in 3 years and seems to be very rare occurance!! Best pin ever still!!!!

Just replace the fuse...that’s why they are there. And, enjoy the pin!

#12728 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Just replace the fuse...that’s why they are there. And, enjoy the pin!

I actually started this thread 4 years ago. I have replaced the fuse, but I didnt pay attention to the fix. Sounds like the transistor can be bad. Taking a look tomorrowish.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnets-not-working-on-met-le

#12729 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I actually started this thread 4 years ago. I have replaced the fuse, but I didnt pay attention to the fix. Sounds like the transistor can be bad. Taking a look tomorrowish.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnets-not-working-on-met-le

I suck at soldering...so I’d just keep a fuse on hand for the once a year change...either way, a great pin. Good luck, on a great pin.

#12730 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I suck at soldering...so I’d just keep a fuse on hand for the once a year change...either way, a great pin. Good luck, on a great pin.

Yea, Im not going to kill myself or burn up the game doing it ha.

#12731 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That's exactly what mine did. I replaced the fuse and it worked again, but over the next week or so, the hammer magnet kept getting weaker. Now it sometimes doesn't even try sensing the ball (rebooting seems to fix that). Hoping it's the magnet board since I have a new one on the way...

Like others day though, the lock is amazing and is always a thrill.

#12732 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

That's exactly what mine did. I replaced the fuse and it worked again, but over the next week or so, the hammer magnet kept getting weaker. Now it sometimes doesn't even try sensing the ball (rebooting seems to fix that). Hoping it's the magnet board since I have a new one on the way...

Is your board under warranty?

#12733 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

#12734 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Oh my God i knew I shouldn’t have got the Premium model!!

Just kidding, i cant wait actually!!

#12735 6 years ago

So can someone explain the left orbit reject problem to me? I noticed the machine that i played the other day did that a couple of times but i just figured it was suppose to do that. Is this a big problem or is it something that rarely happens? Also does it happen to all games and why does it happen?

#12736 6 years ago

I had my MET like 3 yrs prior to replacing the plastic post with a metal one. Not because I disliked the bouncing, just to see how it plays.

The metal post bounces rarely but I enjoyed the pin with a plastic post just as much

#12737 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Doubt it -- I bought it off a fellow pinsider back in October, and I think he bought it NIB the December before that - so it's maybe 14-15 months old.

#12738 6 years ago

Does anybody know if somebody is selling the led eye snake mod?

#12739 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Quoted from Who-Dey:So can someone explain the left orbit reject problem to me? I noticed the machine that i played the other day did that a couple of times but i just figured it was suppose to do that. Is this a big problem or is it something that rarely happens? Also does it happen to all games and why does it happen?

During some modes, you shoot the left orbit , the post comes up stopping the ball, then goes back into the Playfield. From there, the ball should trickle down the right and into the pops. Mine rarely does it and the metal post fix seems to work with varying success.

#12740 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

Does anybody know if somebody is selling the led eye snake mod?

Not aware of anyone that has sold a stand alone snake head with LED eyes. You'd have to remove yours & send it someone to mod it for you, or do it yourself.

#12741 6 years ago

Has anyone who bought a MET new in box over the past six months had any issues with it? Build quality, inserts, etc.?

I'm thinking of selling my AS Prem and rejoining this club.

#12742 6 years ago

I just opened up my NIB premium 2 weeks ago (2/12). So far it’s been fantastic. It has a build date of 04-05-17.

I posted this the other day...

Quoted from imagamejunky:

.....My only issues so far have been; snake switch not registering sometimes (bent switch a little), plunger wasn’t centered on the ball (moved plunger assembly), ball trough eject was ejecting 2 balls into shooter lane after the 1st ball would bounce off of the cliffy in the shooter lane and fall back into the trough (I bent the metal deflector slightly down towards the plunger)
Junky

As you can see these are only very minor things with easy fixes.
IMO you should re-join the club!

#12743 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Has anyone who bought a MET new in box over the past six months had any issues with it? Build quality, inserts, etc.?

I'm thinking of selling my AS Prem and rejoining this club.

About the same as any NIB Stern, seems like all machines have their issues but the support from Stern and/or my distributor have been outstanding.

The good:
This is my favorite Stern release since LOTR! (subjective)
Near perfect registration on the playfield and no defects that I've seen (crossing fingers on this one)

The Bad:
Right head decal was peeling out of the box - replaced by Stern
The heatsink, screws, and washers (for the additional bridge rectifier installed in Premiums and LE's ) were floating around in the shipping container. This was corrected before powering on the machine.

The UGLY:
It appears there is a design problem with the coffin magnet controller board (LE/Premium only) that makes this a high failure item. All non-Stern suppliers of this board are out of stock as of today and mine failed in the first couple months; I've only had this machine since late November. I have my replacement board from Stern, which I promptly received by contacting my distributor after Stern failed to ship it in a reasonable time (3 weeks). The only other MET I play is on location at the Operating Room in West Des Moines, IA.; the owner there has replaced this board twice and 2 weeks ago I set the coffin magnet to disabled since he keeps blowing the magnet fuse, presumably due to a failure or the 3rd magnet board.

With that being said, I have no intention of selling my MET as its such a great game to play...even though it tends to frustrate the hell out of me quite often!

Other thoughts:
I also have an AS Premium that I would not part with, its an absolutely gorgeous game and a lot of fun to play; while I currently play MET more than AS, there are still code updates on the horizon for AS which will likely put it on par with MET if not better; IMO you should keep em both if you are able to; if not, it's a hard decision you are faced with and hopefully I was able to provide you with some useful information to help with this decision.

#12744 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

About the same as any NIB Stern, seems like all machines have their issues but the support from Stern and/or my distributor have been outstanding.
The good:
Near perfect registration on the playfield and no defects that I've seen (crossing fingers on this one)
The Bad:
The heatsink, screws, and washers (for the additional bridge rectifier installed in Premiums and LE's ) were floating around in the shipping container. This was corrected before powering on the machine.
The UGLY:
It appears there is a design problem with the coffin magnet controller board (LE/Premium only) that makes this a high failure item. All non-Stern suppliers of this board are out of stock as of today and mine failed in the first couple months; I've only had this machine since late November. I have my replacement board from Stern, which I promptly received by contacting my distributor after Stern failed to ship it in a reasonable time (3 weeks). The only other MET I play is on location at the Operating Room in West Des Moines, IA.; the owner there has replaced this board twice and 2 weeks ago I set the coffin magnet to disabled since he keeps blowing the magnet fuse, presumably due to a failure or the 3rd magnet board.

That’s why it wasn’t working. I have a Met Pro, but have never played the premium and was looking forward to the coffin/hammer. My wife and I only put a couple plays on it due to the magnet problems. We’ll have to go back sometime.

#12745 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

That’s why it wasn’t working. I have a Met Pro, but have never played the premium and was looking forward to the coffin/hammer. My wife and I only put a couple plays on it due to the magnet problems. We’ll have to go back sometime.

Dang, that's a long way to drive, I'm sorry to hear you missed out on this feature as it's pretty cool; I do hope you had a great time at the Operating room as this is my favorite place to hang out, I'm usually there on Saturday afternoons; perhaps we will bump into each other one day in the future

#12746 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Dang, that's a long way to drive, I'm sorry to hear you missed out on this feature as it's pretty cool; I do hope you had a great time at the Operating room as this is my favorite place to hang out, I'm usually there on Saturday afternoons; perhaps we will bump into each other one day in the future

The operating room was awesome. I haven’t had the chance to play a lot of the games there (not much up here). Really gave me an idea what my next pin may be. We were down there for Machine Head concert at Wooly’s...which got canceled, but we played a ton of pinball. Went to the Up/Down bar too. Decent pins, but not the selection of The operating room.

#12747 6 years ago

Preciate all the Pinball Browser help guys.
Anyhow....wife bought us 4th row tix for Nashville on my birthday next year. She's a pretty good one, think I'll keep her.

#12748 6 years ago

Who dey you get er yet??

#12749 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The good:
The Bad:
The UGLY:
With that being said, I have no intention of selling my MET as its such a great game to play...even though it tends to frustrate the hell out of me quite often!
Other thoughts:
I also have an AS Premium that I would not part with, its an absolutely gorgeous game and a lot of fun to play; while I currently play MET more than AS, there are still code updates on the horizon for AS which will likely put it on par with MET if not better; IMO you should keep em both if you are able to; if not, it's a hard decision you are faced with and hopefully I was able to provide you with some useful information to help with this decision.

Quoted from imagamejunky:

I just opened up my NIB premium 2 weeks ago (2/12). So far it’s been fantastic. It has a build date of 04-05-17.
I posted this the other day...

As you can see these are only very minor things with easy fixes.
IMO you should re-join the club!

Thanks for the insight and advice guys. Ever since selling my MET Prem about a year ago, I have had that "you don't know what you have till it's gone" feeling. What a great game. Plus, I have been jamming to their music in my SUV for a few weeks now. I figured I would reacquire it at some point.

I really like AS as well. In fact every time I go down to my game room to take pics to put it up for sale, I play it and think "maybe I'll hold on to it for a bit longer." haha I love completing Walk This Way and getting super ramps then trying to put an X on that shot and start double scoring. What a rush!

I have a spot for a third game, but I want to wait and see what Iron Maiden and Elvira 3 are like or even if a TRON Vault materializes.

My main concern with build quality, etc. was about the inserts ghosting. I had that issue on Ghostbusters when I had it last year.

I know the magnet issue well. A buddy of mine had that issue on his and we had to wait for the magnet board from Stern as well. Are the ones sold by third party stores any better than the OEM Stern board or are they the same?

I'm really jonesing for MET, though.

#12750 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Who dey you get er yet??

Its going to arrive tomorrow between 10am and 2pm. All i know is that effin delivery truck better not :lalala:break down or some stupid shit like that!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 25.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 255 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/255 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.