IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 249 of 433.
#12401 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

.....that is how it is started? damn...i didn't even know! I just hit the snake over and over...then randomly a multiball starts that I think took forever to get.

Besides hitting a lit snake insert shot, hitting the snake will light the snake, but ramps/orbits are easier for lighting it.

#12402 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

I too have just gotten met pro. I'm thinking about getting pingraffix metallica creeping death animated powerbladez. They look cool, anyone on here have them?

I just scored the latest batch that he made and love them. A definite must in my opinion.

#12403 6 years ago

So I have someone on the way to buy my Metallica and of course an issue just popped up. Trough switch 4 (switch #18) stopped working a few nights ago so I ordered a new switch and diode since I didn't have any spares. I've had trough switches fail before, so no big deal.

Parts order won't be here until later today so I took a trough switch out of Mustang. Doesn't work. I looked up the switch matrix and all the switches in the row work, but I found the left ramp exit switch also does not and they are in the same column 02. I see the columns are controlled by ICs and not transistors.

This column is IC-U22B. How do I go about testing that?

#12404 6 years ago

Anybody try this strategy on a MET prem/LE?

Sparky MB >> light all Coffin Locks >> Qualify EB or CIU >> Lock a ball in Hammer >> Long Plunge.. dead bounce to scoop = collect EB or CIU

Each hammer lock results in an opportunity to plunge directly to scoop and collect for free/no risk. 3 locks = 3 chances to collect scoop. No need to shoot scoop directly.

#12405 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Anybody try this strategy on a MET prem/LE?

Sparky MB >> light all Coffin Locks >> Qualify EB or CIU >> Lock a ball in Hammer >> Long Plunge.. dead bounce to scoop = collect EB or CIU

Each hammer lock results in an opportunity to plunge directly to scoop and collect for free/no risk. 3 locks = 3 chances to collect scoop. No need to shoot scoop directly.

The dead bounce to scoop trick doesn't work on a lot of games. It's highly dependent on the plunger spring tension, how your flippers are adjusted, the slope of the table, etc ...

#12406 6 years ago

And the type of flipper rubbers too.

#12407 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

hitting the snake before you light him doesn't get you anything.

I know it doesn't give you a letter towards completing "SNAKE", but if the snake is not lit does a hit count towards lighting the insert for CIU?

#12408 6 years ago

Obviously your machine has to be one of the 70% that does this trick. If so, just a reminder how easy it can be to collect scoop awards using the Coffin Lock approach (prem/LE only). Just dawned on me since it kicks out a new ball to shooter lane each time

The ramp to piston all day for 5 Mill+Extra Ball+Lady Justice strategy still not showing up in tournaments much. Surprised since I know most of you guys here know about it by now. Can also be doubled for 10 Mill. Hit a few of those and might win the tournament Note: Sparky MB average is usually 4 Mill total, just for comparison.

#12409 6 years ago

Just posting this here for anyone troubleshooting in the future. I'm officially out of the Metallica club today. Good talking to you all about Metallica, mods and troubleshooting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-switch-column-testing-help#post-4184865

#12410 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The dead bounce to scoop trick doesn't work on a lot of games. It's highly dependent on the plunger spring tension, how your flippers are adjusted, the slope of the table, etc ...

And THIS is why I'm reading the owners thread! I didn't know that was possible, but I'm sure going to check my game tonight. That would be an awesome way to hit the scoop easy!

#12411 6 years ago

Obviously your machine has to be one of the 70% that does this trick. If so, just a reminder how easy it can be to collect scoop awards using the Coffin Lock approach (prem/LE only). Just dawned on me since it kicks out a new ball to shooter lane each time
The ramp to piston all day for 5 Mill+Extra Ball+Lady Justice strategy still not showing up in tournaments much. Surprised since I know most of you guys here know about it by now. Can also be doubled for 10 Mill. Hit a few of those and might win the tournament Note: Sparky MB average is usually 4 Mill total, just for comparison.

Your numbers are swayed pretty heavy IMHO in the wrong direction.

Games that can do the dead bounce to scoop is way less than 70%. I think I've found one total that would do this. I'd be surprised if that number was really higher than 15-20%.

Decent SPARKY - 10-15 million A 4 million sparky is a really bad sparky. If that is average their is no way that player has the skill to complete the EOL strategy. I still find the better advantage to Sparky is progress towards CIU vs the actually points from it.

Really good end of the line - I don't think I've ever seen it get to 5 million a shot. Colin MacAlpine played my Met and did this strategy for fun and he never even made it that high. It takes a really good player to exploit those points as both shots are pretty tight.

#12412 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And my first reactions are: Hey this game is a blast! And, OMG does a normal DMD look bad in this game. Color DMD ordered for it this morning has already shipped. It's something you can't unsee. I've played enough MET with one that regular dots just won't do.

And yummy! It should be a required upgrade.

IMG_5879 (resized).JPGIMG_5879 (resized).JPG

#12413 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And yummy! It should be a required upgrade.

Just wondering,does your back box rattle more when the shaker is activated after installing your lcd dmd?

#12414 6 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Just wondering,does your back box rattle more when the shaker is activated after installing your lcd dmd?

I don't have the shaker in it yet.

I could see how it would rattle depending on the installation of the color DMD though. They listed the 2 washers on the posts as optional, but then the spacers (the stock ones that you reuse) would be loose because the hex post would bottom out.

This is how I have the corners.

IMG_5858 (resized).JPGIMG_5858 (resized).JPG

It's the clear shield, the black 1/4" spacer, 2 washers, and the hex post. That all locks down nice and tight.

The two posts in the center of the old DMD have 1/4" spacers, and one of the original DMD nuts to lock them.

Finally, the speaker wire is attached tightly at all 3 points it was before on the bottom of the old DMD using the mount screw for the DMD driver board that I didn't need because it was already a 5v DMD.

So I didn't see anywhere I could get new rattles. But I'll let you know once I get the shaker I ordered.

#12415 6 years ago

I put this up on my friend’s machine last night.

A104AFE1-0612-47C7-A8D7-EFC98DBDF9F4 (resized).jpegA104AFE1-0612-47C7-A8D7-EFC98DBDF9F4 (resized).jpeg

#12416 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I wouldn't let you over EVER again if you were my friend ! Noice tho!!

#12417 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

#12418 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Your numbers are swayed pretty heavy IMHO in the wrong direction.
Games that can do the dead bounce to scoop is way less than 70%. I think I've found one total that would do this. I'd be surprised if that number was really higher than 15-20%.
Decent SPARKY - 10-15 million A 4 million sparky is a really bad sparky. If that is average their is no way that player has the skill to complete the EOL strategy. I still find the better advantage to Sparky is progress towards CIU vs the actually points from it.
Really good end of the line - I don't think I've ever seen it get to 5 million a shot. Colin MacAlpine played my Met and did this strategy for fun and he never even made it that high. It takes a really good player to exploit those points as both shots are pretty tight.

I have figured out how to set up my game to do the dead bounce scoop shot. I use Titan silicone and keep adjusting pitch (via the front legs) until you can make the shot. On my game it works 9.5 times out of 10. I am not sure, but I think if you gave me enough time I could set up nearly every MET to do this.

#12419 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I have figured out how to set up my game to do the dead bounce scoop shot. I use Titan silicone and keep adjusting pitch (via the front legs) until you can make the shot. On my game it works 9.5 times out of 10. I am not sure, but I think if you gave me enough time I could set up nearly every MET to do this.

I'm not in favor of tweaking the game like this. It's not as if the game was specifically designed for you to be able to do this, and I'd argue that it makes the game easier than it's supposed to be.

#12420 6 years ago

I think the game was designed to be able to do this. Furthermore my game is perfectly level and at around 7-7.5 in most areas. Every game needs to be played with and tweaked, might as well find the sweet spot! If you need to drain to shoot CIU then you just made the game a lot more difficult in my opinion, by wasting a ball.

#12421 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I think the game was designed to be able to do this. Furthermore my game is perfectly level and at around 7-7.5 in most areas. Every game needs to be played with and tweaked, might as well find the sweet spot! If you need to drain to shoot CIU then you just made the game a lot more difficult in my opinion, by wasting a ball.

Whatever people like is fine by me, that is just the way I set up my game. Now time to go play!

#12422 6 years ago

I recently swapped out my LCD display with an LED display, I'm still on the fence as to the LED vs LCD display. While I do like the display options available with the LCD, the colors of the LED are so much more vibrant that it makes it a hard decision

What to you guys think?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12423 6 years ago

I like the hi def on lcd, but if your going to use dots anyway I like the led.

#12424 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I like the hi def on lcd, but if your going to use dots anyway I like the led.

Exactly this

#12425 6 years ago

If you want to make the blacks look black with the led version put a Bent Plastic guard on the game. Only problem is that it only blocks about 75% of the reflected light from the pf.

#12426 6 years ago

Will install my color dmd lcd tomorrow...I think the smooth of lcd I will love. Led is good, but I like lcd. We’ll see tomorrow. So stoked!

#12427 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I have figured out how to set up my game to do the dead bounce scoop shot. I use Titan silicone and keep adjusting pitch (via the front legs) until you can make the shot. On my game it works 9.5 times out of 10.

Never tired this before! Just tested my pro built in 2013 - Works reliably with mine at default ~6.5 degrees, yellow flipper rubbers (not silicone), and flipper angle is slightly down from the flipper tops being straight in line with the inlanes.

Maybe a previous owner dialed in the flipper angle, but they look like standard angle to me.

#12428 6 years ago

I'm a member of this great club now! Just bought a Premium from a great seller ASOA. The game only had ten games on it.

Anyway, I will get right into it. Does anyone know where to get an apron decal without the seizure warning on it? I see people asking throughout this thread, but seems to be crickets still?

I did install the LED Color DMD and it's taking some time to get used to. With is my first experience with the LED version. I love the small size of the overall unit, but I am having trouble getting used to the display. I have tried all combinations of brightness and contrast and I am still a little skeptical. What settings are people using on this game? I might move this over to another game and get an LCD version for Metallica... Someone said the LCD version of ColorDMD is smaller now and doesn't stick up above the speaker panel?

One other note, was that my game came with the neon green plastic protectors on it. The edges looked cool the way they lit up, but I just could not get used to the way they changed the color of all the plastics to green. I went ahead and removed a couple and it looked so much better I bought a clear set of protectors from Marco and installed them. I realize this is personal taste, but I think the game looks a thousand times better now with them gone. This is especially true of the Sparky plastics. Not sure why someone would be in the electric chair long enough to get spider webs? Haha. If anyone wants these protectors, they can have the set for $25 shipped to the USA. Not sure where they came from but they are NOT the Pinbits ones with the flipper lane joined to the slings.

#12429 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Someone said the LCD version of ColorDMD is smaller now and doesn't stick up above the speaker panel?

I just installed the LCD ColorDMD and the screen does stick up above the speaker panel. It doesn’t affect the appearance or function, so no problems. The LCD is expensive, but definitely worth it!

#12430 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I recently swapped out my LCD display with an LED display, I'm still on the fence as to the LED vs LCD display. While I do like the display options available with the LCD, the colors of the LED are so much more vibrant that it makes it a hard decision
What to you guys think?

I'm not on the fence at all. LCD, hands down. The LED display looks out of focus to me because each color is in a slightly different spot. So the light that comes out of it is too sharp, and I don't like the look. I've installed quite a few in other folks games, and I never like it.

The LCD rocks.

#12431 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm not on the fence at all. LCD, hands down. The LED display looks out of focus to me because each color is in a slightly different spot. So the light that comes out of it is too sharp, and I don't like the look. I've installed quite a few in other folks games, and I never like it.
The LCD rocks.

LCD is the way to go for MET, not sure about other games, but LCD looks fantastic in MET.

#12432 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I did install the LED Color DMD and it's taking some time to get used to. With is my first experience with the LED version. I love the small size of the overall unit, but I am having trouble getting used to the display. I have tried all combinations of brightness and contrast and I am still a little skeptical. What settings are people using on this game? I might move this over to another game and get an LCD version for Metallica... Someone said the LCD version of ColorDMD is smaller now and doesn't stick up above the speaker panel?

You are echoing my concerns about the LED over LCD as well ... this is going to be a strictly personal decision on what folks like the best.

What do I like about the LED over the LCD:
1) The colors are simply amazing, no video will do this justice.
2) The LED fits perfectly into the speaker panel, there is no glare cast from the backbox across the display that can wash out the colors (this can be eliminated with 3/4" right angle molding...this will be a separate post)
3) The wife prefers the LED ... weighed appropriately
4) It's slightly cheaper than the LCD

What do I dislike about the LED over the LCD:
1) DOTS only, no ability to change settings.
2) dot size is not consistent (some dots are smaller than others)

#12433 6 years ago

Ok, so I was asked by another member if I could post a video of the LED display, this is something I rarely do, but afforded me the ability to gain some proficiency using Divinci Resolve so I went ahead and made one. For what its worth, I did no color corrections to this video, so the colors are not accurate since my camera is not able to capture how vibrant the colors actually are.

NOTE: The entirety of this video was made during one awesome 60M+ ball ... why can I never achieve this in a tournament?

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1FcrV_SGoSkq41TWPvHfLVWv91GgpOFAb

#12434 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

dot size is not consistent (some dots are smaller than others)

I see what you mean, but never noticed that before. Guess it's not a deal breaker for me.

#12435 6 years ago

Just not a viable/reliable strategy. The feed from the piston lane can often result in left outlane drain. If you're able to shoot that accurately that you're hitting both shots every time you're good enough to be hitting any shot on the table. I expect a Sparky MB to get me in the region of 20mil, but it's also a safe way to advance toward the CIU modes - where the REAL scores are to be had. Well over 200 mil each for FWTBT,ES & FTB.

This relies on too many separate things to make it anywhere near worth doing.
Physical coffin locks turned on.
No other player has balls locked.
Auto plunge after locks turned off.
Table set-up to make the dead bounce work. (plunger spring strength, pitch of table, rubbers on flippers, angle of flippers, etc. etc.)
None of which you have control of on location/in a comp.

PLUS if you are good enough to do everything else required to set it up - you're good enough to shoot the scoop the normal way.

If you want to set your machine up like that - that's your choice, but it's certainly not a strategy I'd think about using.

#12436 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Does anyone know where to get an apron decal without the seizure warning on it?

Gotta buy the whole set. But it's good to have. And you have some options.

ebay.com link: NOS Stern Metallica Pinball Machine Playfield Decal Set 802 5000 E1 Free Ship

#12437 6 years ago

May be using my LE in a tournament in the near future. Anyone have any tips/tricks to improve the performance of the hammer? I've been getting some phantom hits and it's not catching on the magnet as well as it should. I have the updated board for the game.

#12438 6 years ago

I’ve been having some issues with my trough kicker on my monsters Premium. For a while now it’s been kicking balls out kinda hard where sometimes it bounces right back into the trough which at times leads to getting 2 balls kicked out on the second attempt. Now as of this weekend it’s kicking so hard that I’ve had a couple land up on the rail and hang up by the bubble level.

Is there a setting where I can adjust the power of just that coil that I’m not seeing or anyone have some advice on how to get this dialed back in?

#12439 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

I’ve been having some issues with my trough kicker on my monsters Premium. For a while now it’s been kicking balls out kinda hard where sometimes it bounces right back into the trough which at times leads to getting 2 balls kicked out on the second attempt. Now as of this weekend it’s kicking so hard that I’ve had a couple land up on the rail and hang up by the bubble level.
Is there a setting where I can adjust the power of just that coil that I’m not seeing or anyone have some advice on how to get this dialed back in?

Wonder if the ball guide part of the top of the trough is loose or missaligned? Have you take a peek under the apron to see if anything looks funny?

#12440 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Wonder if the ball guide part of the top of the trough is loose or missaligned? Have you take a peek under the apron to see if anything looks funny?

Everything looked good as far as I could tell. I had everything apart last week for a full set cliffy install. I was however having this problem well before all of that.

When I get home from work today maybe I’ll pull it all apart again and take a second look just to make sure.

#12441 6 years ago

I’m sure this has been said before, but the LCD ColorDMD is the best mod you can put on your Met. Super easy to install and adds so much to the game play. The graphics are incredible, and I find the display so much more useful. Yes, it’s kinda expensive, but I can’t believe I waited this long before pulling the trigger. This is a must upgrade!

#12442 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Gotta buy the whole set. But it's good to have. And you have some options.
ebay.com link » Nos Stern Metallica Pinball Machine Playfield Decal Set 802 5000 E1 Free Ship

Thanks. I went ahead and scored those up. Next task is to look into lighting the apron plastics a little more evenly. Here is a picture of the factory decal.

20180123_074904 (resized).jpg20180123_074904 (resized).jpg

#12443 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’m sure this has been said before, but the LCD ColorDMD is the best mod you can put on your Met. Super easy to install and adds so much to the game play. The graphics are incredible, and I find the display so much more useful. Yes, it’s kinda expensive, but I can’t believe I waited this long before pulling the trigger. This is a must upgrade!

When you have a Metallica Pro in my opinion the Total Light Show is the best mod closely followed by the LCD ColorDMD.
Either way, this pin is not only great as it is but so much better when modded

#12444 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

When you have a Metallica Pro in my opinion the Total Light Show is the best mod closely followed by the LCD ColorDMD.

Agreed. The TLS is not only the best Metallica mod, but it's arguably the best mod period.

#12445 6 years ago

My up post stopped working on my Metallica pro. I went into coil test last night and every other coil on the game worked as it should. I'm assuming the issue must actually be at the coil itself then? Any suggestions on what to be looking for?

#12446 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

post stopped working on my Metallica pro. I went into coil test last night and every other coil on the game worked as it should. I'm assuming the issue must actually be at the coil itself then? Any suggestions on what to be looking for?

Take a look at it. Any wires broken off the coil lugs?

#12447 6 years ago

Tommy
Do you have the manual? It should have the coil matrix. If no other coils in the row or column acted up then I agree with you and Neal. Most likely something at the coil or what drives that specific one

#12448 6 years ago

Coil matrix?? Your thinking of lamps and switches.

It is controlled by the 6 transistor driver board from page 109:

LOOP UP POST Q55 YEL-VIO, YEL-GRN 26-1200 (090-5044-ND)

#12449 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Agreed. The TLS is not only the best Metallica mod, but it's arguably the best mod period.

Got TLS at home waiting to be fitted. Looking forward to it. I like the more subtle lighting though, so I may opt for the Prem/LE GI emulation instead of the more elaborate light show.

#12450 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Coil matrix?? Your thinking of lamps and switches.
It is controlled by the 6 transistor driver board from page 109:
LOOP UP POST Q55 YEL-VIO, YEL-GRN 26-1200 (090-5044-ND)

Omg lol you’re right :-p I think I was hallucinating

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 25.50
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 249 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/249 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.