C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 434.
#11601 6 years ago

Finally took a few min to level my machine. It's been in a temporary home in the garage till my basement is done being remodeled. Since I brought it home it, the back of the machine has been way high. I leveled down today and wow...it's like a snail now. At least I can finally put up some decent scores now though.

#11602 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

This is the board that came in addition to the shaker motor board

This board is very important and needs to be installed on the CPU/sound board. Remove J3 connector and plug this into J3 and reinsert the connector onto this pcb. This pcb filters any line noise generated by the shaker motor that will interfere with your switch matrix.

#11603 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Just wondering if the snake jaw is supposed to be flush with the PF? If so, how do you adjust?
Here are some pics of my snake with the jaw open.

The only way I could adjust mine was to remount the snake assembly with spacer washers between it and the playfield.. Mine was a lot higher than yours with the mouth open.

Quoted from gweempose:

I don't own a premium/LE, but isn't there a screw underneath to adjust the height?

There is an adjustment screw on the jaw latch coil assembly. Some say adjusting it helps, but for me it made no difference. Looking at the design, I don't think it was intended as a height adjustment.

Rob

#11604 6 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I added my custom topper tonight. I pre-ordered the Metallica Pops! as soon as I saw they were coming out. My only disappointment is that they aren't bobble heads, instead they are fixed. I was hoping for the headbanging when the shaker fires I plan to add an led strip below them and facing them to give a spotlight effect. Will see how it comes out.

I had my eye on these when they announced them.l and was planning on doing the same. They look good! I should probably just order the set now.

#11605 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The only way I could adjust mine was to remount the snake assembly with spacer washers between it and the playfield.. Mine was a lot higher than yours with the mouth open.

There is an adjustment screw on the jaw latch coil assembly. Some say adjusting it helps, but for me it made no difference. Looking at the design, I don't think it was intended as a height adjustment.
Rob

Same for me as well. That screw didn't adjust the height so I used washers. Still sits a bit higher than the PF but much better than before.

#11606 6 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I added my custom topper tonight. I pre-ordered the Metallica Pops! as soon as I saw they were coming out. My only disappointment is that they aren't bobble heads, instead they are fixed. I was hoping for the headbanging when the shaker fires I plan to add an led strip below them and facing them to give a spotlight effect. Will see how it comes out.

Just got the same ones for my topper! Looks good.

#11607 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Question, if I hit the ball to the top into the upper left lane, can I hold the left flipper down like you do to drop that plunger when shooting for the skill shot, and will that plunger then drop allowing the ball to travel completely around the upper arch exiting the upper right lane?

Nope, it only keeps the post down if you do it on the plunge, not during the game.

#11608 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Looks like the screws to take out the snake are a bit stripped from the factory. I rather not open Pandoras box. How is the height of your snake in relation to mine?

#11609 6 years ago

So i got the magnet fixed for the coffin
Lock - now the hammer seems somewhat out of sync - any ideas? Thanks

#11610 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Looks like the screws to take out the snake are a bit stripped from the factory. I rather not open Pandoras box. How is the height of your snake in relation to mine?

Here's pictures of mine both open and closed. The glass was on so there's a bit of reflection, but you get the idea. I think yours is fine and doesn't need any adjustment.

Rob

20170920_032703 (resized).jpg20170920_032703 (resized).jpg
20170920_032709 (resized).jpg20170920_032709 (resized).jpg

#11611 6 years ago

I've tweaked my design for the mod on the cross insert for Premium/LE. Installation requires loosening of the subway, but I've tweaked it so you shouldn't have to remove it completely.

So for those that are bothered by the excess light surrounding the Crosses, here's your mod (https://goo.gl/3F7d31). Orders placed today should go out tomorrow, otherwise, the rest will go Monday.
New designNew design
3e3b49de1e59c9fc75bf1eacad7f8d73af7ea1d0 (resized).jpg3e3b49de1e59c9fc75bf1eacad7f8d73af7ea1d0 (resized).jpg

#11612 6 years ago

Anyone else here have cratering going on in front of Sparky? Just noticed it on mine yesterday

#11613 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I've tweaked my design for the mod on the cross insert for Premium/LE. Installation requires loosening of the subway, but I've tweaked it so you shouldn't have to remove it completely.
So for those that are bothered by the excess light surrounding the Crosses, here's your mod (https://goo.gl/3F7d31). Orders placed today should go out tomorrow, otherwise, the rest will go Monday.

his new version is incredibly well done. I've worked with damageinc55 to help him perfect his design for the premium/LE machines and he's nailed it

#11614 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

his new version is incredibly well done. I've worked with damageinc55 to help him perfect his design for the premium/LE machines and he's nailed it

And the Pro version remains great! I really notice it on unmodified games now.

#11615 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

And the Pro version remains great! I really notice it on unmodified games now.

Got on them on my pro. Why not? Cheap mod, easy to install, and looks so much better. You forgot they are there but when you see a game without one - eww. Same for colordmd. When I see a game with the stock red dmd it just looks so awful.

#11616 6 years ago

Stern was hacked see link for details and how to safe guard your computer and identity.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hacked-do-not-open-invoice-emails-from-stern#post-3975943

#11617 6 years ago

For those who have done it... how hard is it to replace the magnet core in front of Sparky? After a few hundred plays, my Met Pro machine is starting to show some dimpling and mushrooming of the metal surface. It's a cheap enough part to replace, but that is a BIG nut on the bottom of the assembly under the playfield and I am guessing it is not going to be very easy to get it loosened up.

#11618 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

For those who have done it... how hard is it to replace the magnet core in front of Sparky? After a few hundred plays, my Met Pro machine is starting to show some dimpling and mushrooming of the metal surface. It's a cheap enough part to replace, but that is a BIG nut on the bottom of the assembly under the playfield and I am guessing it is not going to be very easy to get it loosened up.

Super easy but I also went and bought a socket to fit the nut (if memory servers me correctly I think it was 3/4 inch but I could be wrong).

You can do it with a wrench but I felt no reason to risk damaging anything especially since their are more than one magnet on the game (plus I had other games with them).

#11619 6 years ago

Very easy to loosen the nut and if you don't have a socket, just use vise grips.

#11620 6 years ago

I found these skulls while walking thru the Holloween section of ace hardware today, only $5.99 each. I am not sure exactly what I plan to do but they are going to be part of my Metallica topper. Does anyone have suggestions?

IMG_5007 (resized).JPGIMG_5007 (resized).JPG

#11621 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

I found these skulls while walking thru the Holloween section of ace hardware today, only $5.99 each. I am not sure exactly what I plan to do but they are going to be part of my Metallica topper. Does anyone have suggestions?

Cut out the eyes big enough for red mini domes to come out from behind and put red flex head bulbs behind them to light up. Or use 12v red flex head and tie them into the left right flashers.

#11622 6 years ago

Do you have the light part numbers and where you buy them? I have done a lot of mods but have never built ones from scratch

#11623 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

Do you have the light part numbers and where you buy them? I have done a lot of mods but have never built ones from scratch

Just go to Marco and look up mini domes and chose your color then look up sockets for flashers. Here's what I made for a couple of T2 bb stickers for my game room, 6.3v then used a 6v wall wort to power them.

IMGA0958 (resized).JPGIMGA0958 (resized).JPG

IMGA0959 (resized).JPGIMGA0959 (resized).JPG

IMGA0967 (resized).JPGIMGA0967 (resized).JPG

IMGA0969 (resized).JPGIMGA0969 (resized).JPG

#11624 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

This is the board that came in addition to the shaker motor board

That board connects to you J3 in your back bock....I installed this as I am having problems with my shaker motor...if the shaker motor is off the game works perfect the coffin magnet works 100% every time turn the shaker motor on and the coffin magnet will let go of the ball not every time but probably 3/5 times which is shit. So the distributor sent me this as he thought it was a "noise" interference as in a electrical noise but it still didn't fix my problem...I have a stern rev a shaker motor and im
thinking I need to try a rev b shaker...what do you guys all have rev a or rev b ?

#11625 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I need some advise please. Just installed a Stern shaker kit on my metallica premium and having major problems with the hammer magnet and coffin feed. Most times the ball will dislodge from the hammer magnet when the shaker activates and a few times the ball had jammed trying to enter the coffin lock. While shaking its offsets the ball to the right of the coffin path and the jam when the magnet coil tries to go up to the playfield.
It seems like the magnet is not strong enough to keep the ball on its path both prior to the hammer coming down and if it succeeds there, entering the coffin lock is compromised.
Any suggestions?
I have had the ball release on the sparky magnet a couple of time too. I have tried all three settings moderate, minimal and maximal and the only mode I have had fault free games is setting 'None'

Same problem here mate, my machine is a met premium monsters and running the stern shaker rev a.
I don't have any problem with when it drops it goes in fine but the problem is making it stay on the coffin lock the only time I will have faultless play is when the shaker is off otherwise it will fault every time which is really sad

#11626 6 years ago

Have you tried to set the shaker motor to minimal use?

#11627 6 years ago
Quoted from NEOZATZY:

Same problem here mate, my machine is a met premium monsters and running the stern shaker rev a.
I don't have any problem with when it drops it goes in fine but the problem is making it stay on the coffin lock the only time I will have faultless play is when the shaker is off otherwise it will fault every time which is really sad

i might be wrong here, but I thought Metallica used a Rev B shaker?

#11628 6 years ago

Is this a new record time for breaking Sparky's foot off?

39 days and under 100 plays.

20170922_222141.jpg20170922_222141.jpg

20170922_221902.jpg20170922_221902.jpg

#11629 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Crap, I've never seen it happen before.

#11630 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Merely a flesh wound.

Certainly not starting off on the right foot!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Was it a clean break so that it can be glued back together and not noticeable?

#11631 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I recently went through every image in the gallery for this thread to catch up, and there are photos of wear, but never a break.

Claim manufacturing defect and request a replacement!

#11632 6 years ago

I've already contacted JJ at Gameexchange of CO, and he is taking care of it. Top notch customer service for sure.

Quoted from Neal_W:

request a replacement!

#11633 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I've already contacted JJ at Gameexchange of CO, and he is taking care of it. Top notch customer service for sure.

When I bought mine NIB it had a slight flaw in the same left foot of Sparky, not even a crack, I sent a photo to Stern, they sent a replacement no questions asked.

#11634 6 years ago

Anyone here have the TotalLightshow mod on their pro?

I got mine installed today and none of the GI works...

Trying to find any basic troubleshooting or how to set the thing into test mode.

#11635 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

Trying to find any basic troubleshooting or how to set the thing into test mode.

Check the small fuses on the Lightshow boards. I've had one blow and I think extra fuses are included with the kits.

#11636 6 years ago

they look ok to me

#11637 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

they look ok to me

If you have a multimeter, just test them to be sure. Maybe you get lucky.

#11638 6 years ago

Shit I got a short somewhere

Replaced the top fuse and it lit up for a few then died.

BF7071AB-925E-4D57-AFB3-977B895E46A6 (resized).jpegBF7071AB-925E-4D57-AFB3-977B895E46A6 (resized).jpeg

#11639 6 years ago

Also, anyone have a picture of his connection on the board? I knocked the damn wire out of the connector

C49C5043-7C7A-4977-AE1D-9C54FF351585 (resized).jpegC49C5043-7C7A-4977-AE1D-9C54FF351585 (resized).jpeg

#11640 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

I have it. It is INCREDIBLE. It sounds like you didn't hook some of the wires up correctly in the back box. Refollow the video steps to see what went wrong.

EDIT: oops. I see what happened. Sorry man. Seriously, with this mod, I honest to god see no reason why you'd spend an extra 2k for the premium. It just doesn't make sense.

#11641 6 years ago
Quoted from Sk8terRIP:

Have you tried to set the shaker motor to minimal use?

yeah I have tried it on minimal, it does make it better and doesn't fault as much but I don't like paying $250 for the shaker to only half work as I might as well play the machine with it off as it has such little effect set on minimal.

#11642 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

i might be wrong here, but I thought Metallica used a Rev B shaker?

That's what I thought too, the one that came in the machine installed from the distributor is a rev and but all the ones I have seen for sale are rev b, I have brought this up with the distributor and he is enquiring with stern. But I don't know if the rev b is for the original run of machines and the rev a is for the new run

#11643 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

Shit I got a short somewhere
Replaced the top fuse and it lit up for a few then died.

No doubt bandit will help you find the problem.

#11644 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I recently went through every image in the gallery for this thread to catch up, and there are photos of wear, but never a break.

Mine had this happen, but it has 2500 plays on it. Same type of break. Though on mine the broken foot stuck to the playfield so I really didn't need to do anything. Most people don't even notice. Shit, I didn't notice when it happened. I just looked one day and "oh, well then...."

#11645 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Mine had this happen, but it has 2500 plays on it. Same type of break. Though on mine the broken foot stuck to the playfield so I really didn't need to do anything. Most people don't even notice. Shit, I didn't notice when it happened. I just looked one day and "oh, well then...."

Yep. Exact same scenario for me. Foot stuck under and not moving, but broke long ago. Doesn't affect play and not noticeable unless you're looking for it.

#11646 6 years ago

Hey guys,
My snake has a broken fang. Has anyone found a way to glue or reattach an original fang?

#11647 6 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Hey guys,
My snake has a broken fang. Has anyone found a way to glue or reattach an original fang?

Honestly if that happened to mine I would just buy a new set of fangs. I don't remember the price but I don't remember them being outrageous or anything. I think if you glue it back on it'll just break again soon. Definitely worth a shot though! I would reach for the handy dandy cyanoacrylate (CA) glue.

Edit: love the Eddie avatar btw haha

#11648 6 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Hey guys,

I don't believe there are any "original fangs" . The snake arrives toothless and looking like a turtle until it is modded.

#11649 6 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Hey guys,

Is your MET one of the original ones that had the snake fangs from the factory?

#11650 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I don't believe there are any "original fangs" . The snake arrives toothless and looking like a turtle until it is modded.

Mine were on from the factory. They are (were) attached to the upper portion of the head.

Quoted from HankScorpio:

Is your MET one of the original ones that had the snake fangs from the factory?

Yes. Mine is an early run. Pre toothless lizard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 12.95
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/233?hl=xbmanx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.