IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 228 of 433.
#11351 6 years ago
Quoted from smacks:

I'll be one of the newest members to the club later this week when my Met Monsters arrives...Shipping today - Thanks JJ @ GEX in CO!
This will be my first NIB, so are there any "must haves" for this new machine?
Thanks much! Cant wait to play...

Is this a new run? I haven't been keeping up reruns on this but I'm considering buying a Metallica Premium. I'd like an NIB, but I would be kind of worried by build dates and playfield clearcoat issues. I realize the problems were mostly concentrated to GB, but a recent run or older run would still be reassuring. Congrats by the way! Metallica is an all-time great game.

#11352 6 years ago

Ok so now I've been hearing about potential playfield issues with Metallaca? Does anybody have any info on this as to what they are and which ones are likely to have them? Or if it something that is really a non-issue. There doesn't seem to be too many people mentioning this for Metallica compared to others like Ghostbusters but I want to make sure. I'm getting ready to purchase a NIB Metallica Premium soon and don't want any negative surprises.

#11353 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Ok so now I've been hearing about potential playfield issues with Metallaca? Does anybody have any info on this as to what they are and which ones are likely to have them? Or if it something that is really a non-issue. There doesn't seem to be too many people mentioning this for Metallica compared to others like Ghostbusters but I want to make sure. I'm getting ready to purchase a NIB Metallica Premium soon and don't want any negative surprises.

Who are you hearing this from?

#11354 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I have a Met Pro with a playfield from April 2016. I have 4-5 inserts with a little ghosting. As I understand, the clear coat process changed (within the last few years) and that process makes it more likely to ghost/chip. It sounds like it went to a water based clear for safety reasons. Any field at any time can experience this. I've read about replacement fields that have ghosted as well. If it becomes a serious problem, I have seen Stern stand behind it and correct the problem for that individual. I'm not defending anyone or the process, just the way it is. Stern is not the only one having this problem as well. My game plays like a dream. It bugged me at first, and I am a little concerned how it will hold up in the future, but I'm having too much fun playing it. If you want/demand perfection, or this concerns your too much, then you shouldn't be buying a pin right now. I love to play. As long as it doesn't affect that, I'm good...but that's just me. To me, this is not an investment, it's a toy. I will sell it down the road for half what I paid, but in the mean-time I plan to have a blast playing it.

#11355 6 years ago

I can't find a build date on my playfield but bought it summer of 2016 right when all the playfield problems were starting. The game was a floor model with only like 100 plays. I checked all the inserts for ghosting. Maybe I missed one or it happened shortly after I got it but one has some decent ghosting. Like dnapac, it bugged me a little at first. Doubt Stern would send out a new playfield for just that and didn't want the stress of trying to get it fixed. Game plays awesome and already did a few mods. It's kind of like getting a scratch on your new car. It sucks but at least you don't have to worry about keeping everything perfect after that. It will probably affect resell but whatever. It's a fun pin that I have already enjoyed quite a bit.

I will say that it and all the other stuff has affected my opinion on Stern games. The one big thing I liked about Stern games was that they just worked and you didn't have to worry about anything going wrong. I figure there will always be a few games with issues every now and then but Stern would make it right. Now you really don't know what could go wrong. Cab could split, inserts could ghost, clear could flake, node boards go bad, etc. The bad thing is that a game could look and work perfect day 1 and then start having issues a week or month later.

#11356 6 years ago

I've owned my met premium for about a month now and pretty much everything has been smooth sailing but I am however a first time pin owner and I'm now having an issue with my GI lighting.

It was starting to flicker/ strobe a bit here and there at random times, usually right after a ball launch. After clocking around 500 plays so far I knew it wasn't normal. Yesterday when I fired up my game I had absolutely zero GI lights. All my insert lighting is functional but all of my white lights are out. Anyone able to point me in the direction of where to trouble shoot this issue?

#11357 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

I've owned my met premium for about a month now and pretty much everything has been smooth sailing but I am however a first time pin owner and I'm now having an issue with my GI lighting.
It was starting to flicker/ strobe a bit here and there at random times, usually right after a ball launch. After clocking around 500 plays so far I knew it wasn't normal. Yesterday when I fired up my game I had absolutely zero GI lights. All my insert lighting is functional but all of my white lights are out. Anyone able to point me in the direction of where to trouble shoot this issue?

Check all connections to boards. Sounds like a loose connection that finally came undone. Also check the fuses. Look up the manual on Sterns site and it should give you insight as to which one(s). Sorry I don't know it off the top of my head.

#11358 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Check all connections to boards. Sounds like a loose connection that finally came undone. Also check the fuses. Look up the manual on Sterns site and it should give you insight as to which one(s). Sorry I don't know it off the top of my head.

Thanks! I did go through and double check all the connections but maybe I missed something. I'll start there and hopefully get it sorted. I was just trying to get a more focused area to check.

I'm a noob in this hobby but totally interested in learning all the things involved.

#11359 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Is it only the white GI lights that are out? It should have white/red/blue GI lights if it is a premium.

#11360 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Is it only the white GI lights that are out? It should have white/red/blue GI lights if it is a premium.

You're right. Not only the whites. My intent was to say that all the under playfield insert lighting was functional.

IMG_0849 (resized).JPGIMG_0849 (resized).JPG

#11361 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I just got mine, and the build date is June 2017. I will let anyone here know if mine start to ghost or what not.

#11362 6 years ago

What are people using for GI in the total lightshow mod? I have a wood backbox non LED. I replaced all the GI with cointaker frosted when I got it. I bought the kit second hand. He already had installed what he said the LED came stock with (2 LED clear lens?). There are a couple down low on the playfield I can see that blast me in the face. That is why I always use frosted for GI. I saw it mentioned elsewhere the newer Cointaker frosted are 2 LED. Maybe I should change out all the GI to the new style? I like the effect of the mod, I don't want to lose the intensity, but I don't like seeing bare bulbs, and I want everything to match. Suggestions?

#11363 6 years ago

What's a good color to change the Sparky Led spotlights to? Or is white the best?

#11364 6 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

What's a good color to change the Sparky Led spotlights to? Or is white the best?

If you want to see all the colors on Sparky keep um white.

#11365 6 years ago

So what's the deal with the option menu where it asks "select music on plunge "yes/no", but no matter what you set it changes NOTHING?

#11366 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So what's the deal with the option menu where it asks "select music on plunge "yes/no", but no matter what you set it changes NOTHING?

Bfore you plunge the ball, change songs with the flipper buttons.

#11367 6 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I have a blue flasher on the left side and kept the white in the other, I think it looks great. Not so blinding when the sequence for Sparky multiball goes.

#11368 6 years ago

Everybody here loves Stan Bush right? I replaced some of the music with songs from the soundtrack of Transformers the Movie (1986) using Pinball Browser. The song edits are pretty rough but I just threw this together to see if it was worth pursuing. The sound effects in the game go surprisingly well. Also, camera was poorly focused but wanted to upload this anyway in case people were interested in doing something similar.

Nothing's Gonna Stand In Our Way - Cross MB
Dare to be Stupid - Sparky MB
Dare - Snake MB
The Touch - Coffin MB
Transformers Theme - High Score Screen

Here are some of the highlights so you can skip through the game:
Sparky MB at 2:00
Crank It Up at 8:15

#11369 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

Everybody here loves Stan Bush right? I replaced some of the music with songs from the soundtrack of Transformers the Movie (1986) using Pinball Browser. The song edits are pretty rough but I just threw this together to see if it was worth pursuing. The sound effects in the game go surprisingly well. Also, camera was poorly focused but wanted to upload this anyway in case people were interested in doing something similar.
Dare - Snake MB
The Touch - Coffin MB
» YouTube video

WTF?

#11370 6 years ago

@ckehl : Nice work but the music itself .... GEEEEEEKKKK

#11371 6 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I've got UV flashers in mine - but then again I have had my Sparky painted with some UV paint so that when it flashes his teeth, eyes and veins all fluoresce - along with the helmet. Have also added a UV LED strip under the backbox which also fires at the same time

#11372 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

You're right. Not only the whites. My intent was to say that all the under playfield insert lighting was functional.

I've had the same issue - usually after transporting it.

It's the grey 'data' cable which is loose, the one with a modem/phone type connection. Either on the board under the playfield or in the backbox.
With mine I found it wasn't actually loose to the board, more that the wires were loose to the end connector on the wire.

Look at that first. Replace the cable if necessary and you'll be good to go

#11373 6 years ago

I've had this exact same problem (along with many other MET owners)
if your machine starts to exhibit this issue, definitely do yourself a favor and get a new cable. based on the way that it was run underneath the playfield, it can get pinched in a few locations (including near the up/down post at the top of the playfield

if it's not a break in the cable, as WJxxxx has stated, it could possibly be a bad terminated end

#11374 6 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

It's the grey 'data' cable which is loose, the one with a modem/phone type connection. Either on the board under the playfield or in the backbox.
With mine I found it wasn't actually loose to the board, more that the wires were loose to the end connector on the wire.

Thanks. I did unplug and replug both ends of that data cable, even slacked it out some in the harness. I'll give it a better look today after work. Is it a regular phone cord or is it special? Just curious for if I do indeed replace it.

Quoted from j_m_:

if your machine starts to exhibit this issue, definitely do yourself a favor and get a new cable. based on the way that it was run underneath the playfield, it can get pinched in a few locations (including near the up/down post at the top of the playfield
if it's not a break in the cable, as WJxxxx has stated, it could possibly be a bad terminated end

Thank you for the info guys

#11375 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Bfore you plunge the ball, change songs with the flipper buttons.

I'm well aware of that. So why, when I turn it off, can I still do it?

#11376 6 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Ice Blue flashers from Comet look killer

#11377 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Quoted from WJxxxx:

After a trip to Home Depot and purchase of a pack of RJ11 contacts, a 100 ft length of cat5 cable , and a RJ11 crimper for $50 I made myself a new data cable and I still don't have my GI. Probably could have ordered one somewhere for cheaper but I want to get my game going asap and don't want to wait for shipping. This is a bummer. I'm going to call my distributor tomorrow hopefully and reach out for some of his tech support otherwise I'll have to give 1 800 kickers a go and try to make some headway.

All of my fuses are good as well. Im still totally open for other suggestions from some of you OG pinheads if you have any other recommendations of where else to start looking.

#11378 6 years ago

Can anyone recommend where I can get a Sparky protector?

Pinbits is sold out.

#11379 6 years ago

double WTF?

#11380 6 years ago

I <3 Stan Bush and the G1 TF movie!

#11381 6 years ago

I like easy updates and just changing up the lighting in the back panel.
Maybe some combo of slow color changing RGB.
What are examples of what you have done?
Open to ideas from my fellow MET head bangers! Pics?

#11382 6 years ago

Dare - Snake MB
The Touch - Coffin MB
» YouTube video

Lol, I like the creativity, I would totally do something silly like that too....

#11383 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I like easy updates and just changing up the lighting in the back panel.
What are examples of what you have done?
Open to ideas from my fellow MET head bangers! Pics?

I threw in some purple and blues back there. Maybe it was ice blue. I would just get some different bulbs and play around. You could try some flex heads and direct the light to where it looks good.

#11384 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Quoted from jawjaw:

try some flex heads and direct the light to where it looks good.

I have flex head slow color changers across the backpanel on MET. I like the color changing effect. I have UV flashers on Sparky cause I painted him with UV paint so when the flashers go off he really lights up!!

Phoebe

#11385 6 years ago

I just picked up a MET prem this weekend. I have maybe only put a handful of games on it at shows and didn't have time to play it much this weekend.
Couple of questions from the lil bit of time I played yesterday:

What do the red/blue changing inserts mean?
What are the amber snake inserts for?
What are the cross inserts for?
I noticed when shooting the orbits, many times the shot gets blocked by that post that sticks up behind Sparky. Is that normal?
Is there a way to tone down the shaker? When Sparky gets zapped and the hammer strikes, the shaker is a bit too strong and rattles a bit.

#11386 6 years ago

I wanted to give a shoutout to Rock914 and the great backbox/undercabinet light kits he sells. I bought the "deluxe" kit which had the undercabinet lights, the backbox lights, and the lighted speaker harness. It was very simple to install and now I have game-interactive lighting in both the backbox and the undercabinet! I had planned to buy the Cointaker backbox lighting kit but the Rock Custom kit was a good deal less $$$ and included both the undercabinet and speaker wiring harness that was missing in the Cointaker product. Chris also provides EXCELLENT customer service. Highly recommend this product to anyone looking to add this kind of enhancement to their Metallica machine!

#11387 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I just picked up a MET prem this weekend. I have maybe only put a handful of games on it at shows and didn't have time to play it much this weekend.
Couple of questions from the lil bit of time I played yesterday:
What do the red/blue changing inserts mean?
What are the amber snake inserts for?
What are the cross inserts for?
I noticed when shooting the orbits, many times the shot gets blocked by that post that sticks up behind Sparky. Is that normal?
Is there a way to tone down the shaker? When Sparky gets zapped and the hammer strikes, the shaker is a bit too strong and rattles a bit.

Holy crap dude, read the rules of the game. It would take forever to explain your questions without bringing up 5 other rules pertaining to the system.

http://tiltforums.com/t/metallica-wiki-rulesheet/228

#11388 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Holy crap dude, read the rules of the game. It would take forever to explain your questions without bringing up 5 other rules pertaining to the system.
http://tiltforums.com/t/metallica-wiki-rulesheet/228

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the link.

#11389 6 years ago

I'm in the process of trying to tone down my shaker as well. Too intense on the sparky multiball.

People have talked about setting the weights at 90 degrees but that's not an option on mine. I might try to put something under it.
Will post when I get around to it.

#11390 6 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I'm in the process of trying to tone down my shaker as well. Too intense on the sparky multiball.
People have talked about setting the weights at 90 degrees but that's not an option on mine. I might try to put something under it.
Will post when I get around to it.

Isn't there a setting in the Service Menu? I could be wrong and it's just an on/off setting and not a strength setting.

#11391 6 years ago

That's a frequency setting, not an intensity setting.

#11392 6 years ago

Which shaker do you guys have? The coin taker red tremor is a little wild but the stern/pinball life one is a little less.

I have the red tremor in my met pro. I don't mind the earthquake

#11393 6 years ago

I have the Stern one. It's fine on everything except the sparky multiball.

#11394 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

After a trip to Home Depot and purchase of a pack of RJ11 contacts, a 100 ft length of cat5 cable , and a RJ11 crimper for $50 I made myself a new data cable and I still don't have my GI. Probably could have ordered one somewhere for cheaper but I want to get my game going asap and don't want to wait for shipping. This is a bummer. I'm going to call my distributor tomorrow hopefully and reach out for some of his tech support otherwise I'll have to give 1 800 kickers a go and try to make some headway.
All of my fuses are good as well. Im still totally open for other suggestions from some of you OG pinheads if you have any other recommendations of where else to start looking.

Do they wire the data cable the same as standard? Maybe the wiring is different.

#11395 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Do they wire the data cable the same as standard? Maybe the wiring is different.

yeah, it could be like a null modem cable where 2 wires are "twisted" (eg. send goes to receive, receive to send)

#11396 6 years ago

Here is a pic of the wiring diagram, showing the in and out of the data cable.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#11397 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

After a trip to Home Depot and purchase of a pack of RJ11 contacts, a 100 ft length of cat5 cable , and a RJ11 crimper for $50 I made myself a new data cable and I still don't have my GI.

Check the power connector coming off the bridge rectifier in the backbox - it's a 3-position z-connecotor having a red and a black wire going through it (one posiiton is not used). Should be toward the left side of the backbox in plain view. Unmate it, then remate it and see if the lights work now.

#11398 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

When I hand made the new cable I made sure I had all the appropriate colors in the right spots on the terminal ends. A little time consuming but weekends are my pin time and I didn't want to track one down online and wait to get it shipped.

Update on my GI issue:

After reseating everything , my GI lights are back. I am still getting some flicker at random times that aren't part of the normal light show. I'm currently corresponding with pat at stern via email to get everything figured out and back to 100%

Quoted from sudsy7:

Check the power connector coming off the bridge rectifier in the backbox - it's a 3-position z-connecotor having a red and a black wire going through it (one posiiton is not used). Should be toward the left side of the backbox in plain view. Unmate it, then remate it and see if the lights work now.

I'll add this to my list of today's checks when I get off work and get some time to go tinker around in there.

Thanks.

#11399 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Which shaker do you guys have? The coin taker red tremor is a little wild but the stern/pinball life one is a little less.
I have the red tremor in my met pro. I don't mind the earthquake

I'm in the red tremor club as well and I'm not leaving

#11400 6 years ago

Ive got a few red tremors in my various sterns....

LOVE the free massage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 228 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/228 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.