IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 433.
#11201 6 years ago

I guess we just need to check the manual for which assembly is being used for the placement of #5 above. I've seen it so many times the other way that I was surprised. I assumed that's the way it's supposed to be. But, from the image above, that isn't so. So, I've looked up my Tron manual (assembly 500-6543-15-ND) and Metallica manual (assembly 500-6543-33-ND) and they both have the spring ring on the other side of the coil. Strange. So, I guess it pays to check your manual for the machine you're fixing. I guess it can differ, depending on the assembly.

#11202 6 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I guess we just need to check the manual for which assembly is being used for the placement of #5 above. I've seen it so many times the other way that I was surprised. I assumed that's the way it's supposed to be. But, from the image above, that isn't so. So, I've looked up my Tron manual (assembly 500-6543-15-ND) and Metallica manual (assembly 500-6543-33-ND) and they both have the spring ring on the other side of the coil. Strange. So, I guess it pays to check your manual for the machine you're fixing. I guess it can differ, depending on the assembly.

Oh, shoot. You are right. That's what I get for looking at the wrong manual to get the part numbers. The spring on MET goes on the other side of the coil. Updating that right now in the post.

#11203 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Any suggestions as to how to do that? I assume there is a way to drill it out....

If you work on pinball machines that are not NIB, I would use a left hand drill bit over an easy out. It is a drillbit that is threaded backwards so as you drill, if it bites it will unscrew the screw. I got it to remove an easy out that I broke off in a car block and use it all the time on rusted pinball machine screws that break off.

use about 1/2 and then 3/4 of the size of the screw and see if it easily solves your problem. I got my set at HF very cheap (it is a NEIKO 13 piece left-hand drilll bit set) #10038A

#11204 6 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

If you work on pinball machines that are not NIB, I would use a left hand drill bit over an easy out. It is a drillbit that is threaded backwards so as you drill, if it bites it will unscrew the screw. I got it to remove an easy out that I broke off in a car block and use it all the time on rusted pinball machine screws that break off.
use about 1/2 and then 3/4 of the size of the screw and see if it easily solves your problem. I got my set at HF very cheap (it is a NEIKO 13 piece left-hand drilll bit set) #10038A

I second the left hand drill bit recommendation. I have an entire set and love them. It's worth the price of a decent set the one time it saves your butt.

#11205 6 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I will try to get either a screw extractor or those left hand bits you recommended and be ready for whenever I actually have to mess with that flipper again... for now I am just enjoying the blissful silence!

#11206 6 years ago

Ive had my Monsters Premium for about a week now and have indeed been playing the hell out of it and loving every second.

Seeing a problem developing with the sheet metal guard below the snakes mouth. It's starting to buckle. Anyone know where I could find a new piece for this and / or a walk through of how to change it out?

I've been working my way through the hundreds of pages of this thread and haven't found any talk of this yet.

IMG_0763 (resized).JPGIMG_0763 (resized).JPG

#11207 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Ive had my Monsters Premium for about a week now and have indeed been playing the hell out of it and loving every second.
Seeing a problem developing with the sheet metal guard below the snakes mouth. It's starting to buckle. Anyone know where I could find a new piece for this and / or a walk through of how to change it out?
I've been working my way through the hundreds of pages of this thread and haven't found any talk of this yet.

call up the stern parts department and see if chas or patrick will send you out a new one. be warned, you'll need to disassemble a good portion of the hammer and the block to remove the old one

ps
when you install the new one, be careful to hold the piece in place when you tighten up the nuts on the underside of the playfield that hold the protector in place (otherwise, you'll cause it to twist and buckle just like your picture.

and in the words of bryan kelly, "don't ask me how I know this". I said "don't ask!"

#11208 6 years ago

Well...I thought I was going to buy a Star Wars Premium, but after playing the star wars pro multiple times at Pintastic a couple of weeks ago, I was underwhelmed. I was on a mission to play everything I could and find a PB that I liked enough to buy my first NIB (I currently have a Star Trek Premium bought used as an fyi).
Well after two days of playing everything on the floor I have to say that Metallica Premium came out on top. I really enjoyed the game more than any other I played. Cointaker was also at the show and gave me a good price for a NIB Metallica Premium.
I will probably make the purchase by the end of the week, does anyone have any comments to share on a NIB Metallica Premium or must have mods?
Thx...

#11209 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

Well...I thought I was going to buy a Star Wars Premium, but after playing the star wars pro multiple times at Pintastic a couple of weeks ago, I was underwhelmed. I was on a mission to play everything I could and find a PB that I liked enough to buy my first NIB (I currently have a Star Trek Premium bought used as an fyi).
Well after two days of playing everything on the floor I have to say that Metallica Premium came out on top. I really enjoyed the game more than any other I played. Cointaker was also at the show and gave me a good price for a NIB Metallica Premium.
I will probably make the purchase by the end of the week, does anyone have any comments to share on a NIB Metallica Premium or must have mods?
Thx...

Congrats. I have a pro so I don't know about a premium, but I put all cliffys on including the magnet protectors, the metal post in the back, and an external sub. Once the funds recover a bit I will be installing a color DMD.

#11210 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

does anyone have any comments to share on a NIB Metallica Premium or must have mods?</blockquot

Save your money and buy a 'pro model. It plays awesome and the hammer of the gods is not in the way of the shots. A must mod is a shaker motor and led speaker lights

#11211 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

anyone have any comments to share on a NIB Metallica Premium or must have mods?
Thx...

Save your money and buy a pro. It plays awesome and doesn't have that hammer of the gods thing in the way of the shots. Mods - Shaker motor and lighted speaker lights are great. $400.00 for a color DMD

#11212 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

Thx...

I had a pro and upgraded to a premium. I love the light show and the hammer. I would say the top mods for me was a shaker, color DMD, and custom painted sparky & hammer to give it that personal touch.

#11213 6 years ago

Again, it's been hashed out 100 times already so I'm not going to list them all but their are WAY more differences than just the hammer between the pro and prem of this title. One thing that is easily overlooked is the difference in how the snake operates between the two. It makes a pretty big change in game play.

I play both versions all the time (pro in League and LE at home). I really enjoy the pro that I get to play but I couldn't be happier with having the extra's on this title. Different strokes for different folks. I only post this as I just get frustrated when the hammer is the only thing brought up. Not to mention that when the hammer is working correctly it's one of the coolest lock features in pinball.

#11214 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Save your money and buy a pro. It plays awesome and doesn't have that hammer of the gods thing in the way of the shots. Mods - Shaker motor and lighted speaker lights are great. $400.00 for a color DMD

I disagree completely on the hammer. I don't know if there is a more satisfying effect in pinball than the hammer dropping with a shaker installed. It is amazing.

#11215 6 years ago

Premium MET is pretty awesome. I'm in the pro camp mostly because it's still a great game for much less. If you like the premium then get it. I had no intentions of getting MET but the more I played it the more I liked it. I thought I was going to get a GB when it came out but it was the opposite. The more I played it the more I didn't care for it. I got my MET pro because I knew it was a great game that I enjoyed playing. I think it's best to give new games time to mature and see how you feel about them after the initial excitement dies down. Get as many plays on them as you can and see what QC issues the game is having. I don't get guys that just buy pins without even playing and then decide a week after having it that it's not a game for them.

Just read up the past few pages for mod ideas. There are a ton. Big things are colordmd and subwoofer. Those two really add a lot to the game.

#11216 6 years ago

I'll do that. Thanks! I ordered the newton ball assembly to replace that block so I'll have to take that stuff out anyway to change it. What a dumb design choice that block was. It's guaranteed to do nothing but get blown apart and disperse shrapnel into the game. I'm a machinist and could probably easily make a replacement block but I'm not interested in all those metal fragments in my new machine.

#11217 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't get guys that just buy pins without even playing and then decide a week after having it that it's not a game for them.

With a few exceptions, there just isn't much of a financial deterrent to trying it. People are willing to pay close enough to NIB prices on most games. The Hobbit is the only one I have seen recently that people are selling for a significant discount for used. Even that one probably sold for close to NIB price for the first few months after release.

I personally wait for a year before even considering a Stern pin. If a game sells well, they will usually have the code pretty good by then. It will also be still available new if it is a good seller. I also play at least 100 games on any pin I am thinking of buying at shows, or on location. I did make an exception to that with AFMrLE as I only played about 20 games. I have played well over 100 of the original though, so I felt pretty safe in assuming it is a game I want.

#11218 6 years ago

I purchased a MET and TWD premiums from Melissa at Cointaker and couldnt be more happier. They work with closely with Steve at Pinball Refinary so if you want to get it pimped out without doing it yourself you can have it sent to him first to do the mods. Both Steve and Melissa are awesome people and I cant say enough good things about them. You wont be disappointed. I plan on doing a review soon but I am waiting to install a few more mods first.

I love my MET premium and TWD. I had Steve do some small mods and I add did a shit ton more. I added a smaller hammer. I see where some people say the stock hammer blocks your view but with the hammer I have is the perfect size. I love it.

IMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPG

IMG_2225 (resized).JPGIMG_2225 (resized).JPG

IMG_2227 (resized).JPGIMG_2227 (resized).JPG

#11219 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I purchased a MET premium from Melissa at Cointaker and couldnt be more happier.

I have to agree with you. Melissa at Cointaker, went far above and beyond with my last purchase. Never had such good customer service.

#11220 6 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

I have to agree with you. Melissa at Cointaker, went far above and beyond with my last purchase. Never had such good customer service.

Melissa has always been great to me as well. Can't say anything but major praise to her and Chris.

#11221 6 years ago

Hello everyone just got my first pinball machine. NIB Metallica Premium roadcase. Its awesome. Our family is loving it. I installed a shaker motor on it but thats it so far. I also haven't updated the code yet. I did add some custom price cards though and they look sick!

IMG_5085 (resized).JPGIMG_5085 (resized).JPG

#11222 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

For the pickier pinsiders, I've designed a drop in mod that drastically reduces the light bleed around cross inserts. Check them out. Thanks
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pinball

bought, fitted to my Pro in minutes, awesome.

#11223 6 years ago

Duplicate

#11224 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

My mod makes the front of the cab look cool.

#11225 6 years ago

My Sparky solenoid isn't activating as often as it should when Sparky gets fried... the solenoid seems ok, moves freely enough, but seems to be missing a pulse here and there... click click [nothing] click [nothing] [nothing] > multiball

Anyone else experienced this? It's a Pro LED.

#11226 6 years ago

Hows the gap between the coil and the metal piece it pulls to shake sparky

#11227 6 years ago
Quoted from graves0777:

Hello everyone just got my first pinball machine. NIB Metallica Premium roadcase. Its awesome. Our family is loving it. I installed a shaker motor on it but thats it so far. I also haven't updated the code yet. I did add some custom price cards though and they look sick!

Looks good, can you share the price cards?

#11228 6 years ago

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I decided to buy a Metallica Premium from CoinTaker, will hopefully arrive by the end of next week. Now I need to decide on what mods to add, lots of options I see...

#11229 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I decided to buy a Metallica Premium from CoinTaker, will hopefully arrive by the end of next week. Now I need to decide on what mods to add, lots of options I see...

Congrats, your gonna love it.

#11230 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Hows the gap between the coil and the metal piece it pulls to shake sparky

fair question, thanks - i've had a quick look & the little vertical tab that the moving plate rests on was pretty straight. I've since bent it forwards a little, to narrow the gap between the plate & solenoid, and it seems much better in test. Can't play on it right now as it's in our office (shared with the wife), but will have a go later. Cheers!

#11231 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I purchased a MET and TWD premiums from Melissa at Cointaker and couldnt be more happier. They work with closely with Steve at Pinball Refinary so if you want to get it pimped out without doing it yourself you can have it sent to him first to do the mods. Both Steve and Melissa are awesome people and I cant say enough good things about them. You wont be disappointed. I plan on doing a review soon but I am waiting to install a few more mods first.
I love my MET premium and TWD. I had Steve do some small mods and I add did a shit ton more. I added a smaller hammer. I see where some people say the stock hammer blocks your view but with the hammer I have is the perfect size. I love it.

What are those rails with the lightning bolt images for on your game? I've seen them on several MET's but I can't figure out what they are.

#11232 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What are those rails with the lightning bolt images for on your game? I've seen them on several MET's but I can't figure out what they are.

They are flasher bars

#11233 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

http://mipinballrefinery.com/store-to-order-upgrades#!/Top-side-set-of-2-Decals-for-the-Creeping-Death-UV-lighting-rails/p/49451483/category=5707242

#11234 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

fair question, thanks - i've had a quick look & the little vertical tab that the moving plate rests on was pretty straight. I've since bent it forwards a little, to narrow the gap between the plate & solenoid, and it seems much better in test. Can't play on it right now as it's in our office (shared with the wife), but will have a go later. Cheers!

Ive had to bend that little finger like part of the bracket a bit to keep sparky working before.
Hope thats all it was!

#11235 6 years ago

One of my first mods when I receive my Metallica Premium will be adding a shaker motor. I see that Stern and a lot of third parties sell them. Are they all the same or are some better than others?

#11236 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

One of my first mods when I receive my Metallica Premium will be adding a shaker motor. I see that Stern and a lot of third parties sell them. Are they all the same or are some better than others?

All I know about is the Stern shaker and everything was pre drilled and was a easy 10 min install. I don't know about the others if everything is that easy for plug and play? Don't forget to use blue locktight on bolts

#11237 6 years ago

You will also want to install a speed controller for the shaker. Mine shaker was too violent. when the hammer engaged.

#11238 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

I use and only use Stern shaker motors. The rest are way to violent for my taste without modification. Imo, there has never been a need to install an adjustment dial on a Stern shaker. You can always turn it down in the options menu. Don't forget to pick it up from Terry at pinball life.

#11239 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

All I know about is the Stern shaker and everything was pre drilled and was a easy 10 min install. I don't know about the others if everything is that easy for plug and play? Don't forget to use blue locktight on bolts

I just put one in my GB Pro from PBL, plug-n-play works perfect. See if you can get a group buy together to save some $$$.

#11240 6 years ago

Is it possible to get a replacement label on the apron for Metallica Pro that DOESN'T have the message on it about "if you play this machine you might have a seizure"? It would look so much better with a label similar to the one on the left side of the apron that lacks this vitally important message...

#11241 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Is it possible to get a replacement label on the apron for Metallica Pro that DOESN'T have the message on it about "if you play this machine you might have a seizure"? It would look so much better with a label similar to the one on the left side of the apron that lacks this vitally important message...

yes, if you can find someone that has them
for many of the past stern launch parties, they sent out goodie boxes filled with a random assortment of flyers, stickers and playfield plastics. I remember seeing the apron stickers for metallica in the mix (w/o the seizure warnings)

#11242 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yes, if you can find someone that has them
for many of the past stern launch parties, they sent out goodie boxes filled with a random assortment of flyers, stickers and playfield plastics. I remember seeing the apron stickers for metallica in the mix (w/o the seizure warnings)

Also looks like you get the non-warning version if you buy the full decal set from Marco (or others). However, I was hoping to not have to pay $50 just for that one decal...

The seizure warning is really a detraction from the great look that the rest of the game has, IMO

#11243 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Also looks like you get the non-warning version if you buy the full decal set from Marco (or others). However, I was hoping to not have to pay $50 just for that one decal...
The seizure warning is really a detraction from the great look that the rest of the game has, IMO

Too bad Pinball Life doesn't just have the single decal like they do for Iron Man. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3758

#11244 6 years ago

additionally, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to stern and see if you could get one. you may not be successful, but it never hurts to try

#11245 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Can you post a pic of the one you need? I've been to a boatload of launch parties and have some stickers and plastics.

#11246 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

This may seem like a newbie question but what is exactly is a shaker motor for? I mean I figure that it is supposed to shake a specific toy on the playfield like Sparky in Metallica but doesn't the machine do that already anyways being stock? Or do you have to actually purchase and install a shaker motor to get the Sparky toy to shake and if you don't then it doesn't shake when the mode is activated because it doesn't come with a stock shaker motor?

#11247 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

This may seem like a newbie question but what is exactly is a shaker motor for? I mean I figure that it is supposed to shake a specific toy on the playfield like Sparky in Metallica but doesn't the machine do that already anyways being stock? Or do you have to actually purchase and install a shaker motor to get the Sparky toy to shake and if you don't then it doesn't shake when the mode is activated because it doesn't come with a stock shaker motor?

No, it makes the whole cabinet shake and you feel it through the flipper buttons and lock down bar. I really, really don't like them. Many people do, though.

#11248 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

No, it makes the whole cabinet shake and you feel it through the flipper buttons and lock down bar. I really, really don't like them. Many people do, though.

The shaker going off when the hammer hits in Metallica is one of the coolest effects I have ever experienced in pinball.

#11249 6 years ago

That actually sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of Metallica Premium and I would probably want that feature for it as long as it doesn't cause any vibration damage to the cabinet or components over time. I guess that would be the only concern that I have but I guess these games are designed for that.

#11250 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

That actually sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of Metallica Premium and I would probably want that feature for it as long as it doesn't cause any vibration damage to the cabinet or components over time. I guess that would be the only concern that I have but I guess these games are designed for that.

I won't buy a pin that I can't put a shaker in anymore, and I have never seen any damage from one.

Post back after you have played Metallica with the shaker. It really makes the whole experience better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/225 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.