IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 433.
#11151 6 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

I used to have the wires for the sub clipped to the cabinet speaker, but then I got this and it was a great thing:
http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=38&osCsid=erh78dk6qhmng26v4skh4jv972
Not a huge investment, but a cleaner signal right from the board.

Yup, Much cleaner sound. I had to turn mt sub down after hooking it up with this.

#11152 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Speaker-level input since that is exactly what you are connecting it to.

Same here! But i have spoken to colleague in the UK who's using line-level, even though they know it's wrong, but with a successful outcome! "Better", in fact, purely because that's how it was when they bought it.

#11153 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

HA! so that is what the buzzing is from!? Great tips guys! Now I kind of want one of mine to buzz so I can fix it

there is a spring washer that vibrates if the coil stops do not hold the coil in place securely. see an earlier post that I made on this

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/179#post-3491335

#11154 6 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

I used to have the wires for the sub clipped to the cabinet speaker, but then I got this and it was a great thing:
http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=38&osCsid=erh78dk6qhmng26v4skh4jv972
Not a huge investment, but a cleaner signal right from the board.

mine JUST showed up in the mailbox!

1499801787375889999670 (resized).jpg1499801787375889999670 (resized).jpg

#11155 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there is a spring washer that vibrates if the coil stops do not hold the coil in place securely. see an earlier post that I made on this
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/179#post-3491335

Ah yes that spring washer. Interesting. I never really knew so it's nice to learn!

#11156 6 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

What a night... first game after coming back from a week vacation. Just rocked it. What an amazing pin

Now that Sparky makes sense. He's a prisoner being electrocuted, not a circus clown Ken doll.

#11157 6 years ago

And it's here. Damn the game is addicting. The one more game feeling had me playing until 1:30am this morning. What an amazing game. Only had to adjust the snake and scoop switch. It made friends quickly.

IMG_2821 (resized).JPGIMG_2821 (resized).JPG

IMG_2814 (resized).JPGIMG_2814 (resized).JPG

IMG_2823 (resized).JPGIMG_2823 (resized).JPG

#11158 6 years ago

What?

IMG_8816 (resized).JPGIMG_8816 (resized).JPG

#11160 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Now that Sparky makes sense. He's a prisoner being electrocuted, not a circus clown Ken doll.

you painted your sparky with paint markers..while it was ON the playfield. c'mon man. throwing a lil jab at those custom sparkies that are done by artists with skills?!? Should we bring up the children's braclet beads again?

#11161 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

you painted your sparky with paint markers..while it was ON the playfield. c'mon man. throwing a lil jab at those custom sparkies that are done by artists with skills?!? Should we bring up the children's braclet beads again?

Bring up anything you like. So you can have an opinion AND be an asshole, but I can't comment about a clown Sparky that I just didn't get? Why is that?

I never claimed to have any art skills because I don't. I drew on my sparky because that's what I felt like doing because I HAD FUN DOING IT and I LIKE IT. You never miss a beat to comment that I didn't remove my sparky and do some custom clown shitshow on it. So fucking what duuuuude? You like yours? Fabulous!!! Party on!

I didn't go to your house and draw all over your sparky and ruin your game, so what do you care what I did to mine? I think mine looks just fine, better than stock and I have no desire to remove it and pay big $$ to send it out for a makeup job. You probably should block me so you never have to see it again if it offends your sensibilities.

20170712_114233 (resized).jpg20170712_114233 (resized).jpg

#11162 6 years ago

nah. u should block the clown Ken dolls instead of throwing digs at them. again, not everyone agrees with your taste of what's cool or not! you're border line trolling with your relentless nonsense! ramp

#11163 6 years ago

I know this has probably been answered before, but I tried to search for it and found nothing. Let me preface this with I plan to purchase the pinnovaters connection kit, but how do I use the speaker wire to hook up an external sub. The Polk sub has a hookup for left and right speaker which would be a total of 4 wires.

So which one:
1. Use one speaker cable (2 wires, red and silver) and only plug into the left OR the right input in the sub
2. Use 2 speaker cable (4 wires) two silvers on one of the existing sub connection and two reds on the other existing sub connection. Then connect 1 speaker cable to the left input and the other to the right input on the sub

I'm not sure anyone is going to understand what I'm trying to say.

#11164 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I know this has probably been answered before, but I tried to search for it and found nothing. Let me preface this with I plan to purchase the pinnovaters connection kit, but how do I use the speaker wire to hook up an external sub. The Polk sub has a hookup for left and right speaker which would be a total of 4 wires.
So which one:
1. Use one speaker cable (2 wires, red and silver) and only plug into the left OR the right input in the sub
2. Use 2 speaker cable (4 wires) two silvers on one of the existing sub connection and two reds on the other existing sub connection. Then connect 1 speaker cable to the left input and the other to the right input on the sub

Use method #1. Either left or right sub input will work, but only use one of them for one game. If you had 2 games, you could connect to the other input and have both games using the sub simultaneously.

#11165 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

So which one:

The kit comes with a 3.5mm plug and 3.5mm to rca plug so you'll be using the the rca connections.

No sweat to anyone buying the kit, I just can't spend half the price of the sub to hook it up when I can just jump it on to the sub terminals for practically free.

#11166 6 years ago

I thought the pinnovators connection kit was a big expensive but just wanted to hook up my sub properly. I admit I used alligator clips hooking up light strips before I learned to solder. Wouldn't do that now so didn't seem right rigging up a sub like that. I know both would probably work fine but the kit got it done with minimum hassle. No complaints on sound quality either. Best game for a sub imo. I have MET cranked out louder than my other pins because awesome.

#11167 6 years ago

Just saw Metallica play in Detroit tonight. So damn awesome. Now I think I'm gonna have to sell my Fish Tales to get a Metallica. The gameplay is fun and and damn the music just rocks

#11168 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

nah. u should block the clown Ken dolls instead of throwing digs at them. again, not everyone agrees with your taste of what's cool or not! you're border line trolling with your relentless nonsense! ramp

Hey Bee-Dow, YOU started shit with me when I simply posted what I did in that Show Off Your Sparky thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-post-your-custom-painted-sparky-here/page/3#post-3775549

I didn't realize that thread was for Elite Artists Snobs. But you sure shit all over my posts so I just deleted them because I wanted nothing to do with a douchebag who takes doll painting SO seriously. I thought it would be a fun thread to participate in but you sure pissed all over that notion.

Why would you feel "trolled" because I commented on a photo of a clown sparky that was taken at a show? I didn't comment directly to someone who posted, "Hey check out my Sparky!". I didn't comment or reply to anything you said. I simply wondered why a clown would be on a Metallica. Like maybe I was missing something and now clowns are a part of Metallica's live act or whatever.

Get over my opinion of clown Sparky. Isn't art subjective? I'm entitled to my opinion whether you approve or not. I only know you on this forum because you never cease making snide comments about how I modded my sparky. I'm not selling them, so I'm not competition for you (I think you sell them?), so again, I ask why the fuck do you care?

Now that I know it bothers you SO much though.... Oh, and I showed that clown sparky photo to my wife and asked her opinion. She replied, "You are NOT putting a clown on Metallica. That's ridiculous looking."

#11169 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Hey Bee-Dow, YOU started shit with me when I simply posted what I did in that Show Off Your Sparky thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-post-your-custom-painted-sparky-here/page/3#post-3775549
I didn't realize that thread was for Elite Artists Snobs. But you sure shit all over my posts so much that I just deleted them because I wanted nothing to do with a douchebag who takes doll painting SO seriously. I thought it would be a fun thread to participate in but you sure pissed all over that notion.
Why would you feel "trolled" because I commented on a photo of a clown sparky that was taken at a show? I didn't comment directly to someone who posted, "Hey check out my Sparky!". I didn't comment or reply to anything you said. I simply wondered why a clown would be on a Metallica. Like maybe I was missing something and now clowns are a part of Metallica's live act or whatever.
Get over my opinion of clown Sparky. Isn't art subjective? I'm entitled to my opinion whether you approve or not. I only know you on this forum because you never cease making snide comments about how I modded my sparky. I'm not selling them, so I'm not competition for you (I think you sell them?), so again, I ask why the fuck do you care?
Now that I know it bothers you SO much though.... Oh, and I showed that clown sparky photo to my wife and asked her opinion. She replied, "You are NOT putting a clown on Metallica. That's ridiculous looking."

Why shouldn't a creepy ass clown get fried though?

#11170 6 years ago

Holy hell.

#11171 6 years ago

I've had a NIB MET PRO for a few months now. Initially, I encountered issues with the snake not registering shots. I've since become a magician with adjusting the switch. But now I seem to have issues with the captive ball registering shots. The first couple hundred plays a glancing blow and for sure a rock solid shot from either flipper would register. However, I'm only seeing really solid shots from the left registering, and often times it takes a few attempts. This obviously makes the coffin hurry-ups and locking balls a bigger challenge.

As anyone else encountered this and found a solution they would like to share?

#11172 6 years ago
Quoted from joemoney24:

I've had a NIB MET PRO for a few months now. Initially, I encountered issues with the snake not registering shots. I've since become a magician with adjusting the switch. But now I seem to have issues with the captive ball registering shots. The first couple hundred plays a glancing blow and for sure a rock solid shot from either flipper would register. However, I'm only seeing really solid shots from the left registering, and often times it takes a few attempts. This obviously makes the coffin hurry-ups and locking balls a bigger challenge.
As anyone else encountered this and found a solution they would like to share?

Check it in switch test at different velocities. My guess is that the switch is sometimes getting stuck closed.

#11173 6 years ago

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#11174 6 years ago

You're queerer than a ten dollar bill.

#11175 6 years ago

Question:
Anyone ever have issue with the grave marker light being inconsistent? Mine doesn't work half of the time. When I lift the playfield and fuss with it, of course it works. Playfield goes down it works for a while then it doesn't. Any ideas/ solutions?

#11176 6 years ago

Do you mean the light inside the cross?
If so, my light used to come out alot then i noticed a little bit of glue holds the light in place.

#11177 6 years ago

I've lurked around this site for a long time but never bothered making an account because I had nothing to talk about. Those days are over now, its time to join the club! Just got my first pin yesterday. Picked up a HUO Metallica Monsters Premium from Kurt at hemispheres amusements. I've played plenty of pros out on location but never a premium. For the price I couldn't pass it up. Ordered some leg protectors, a pin gulp, some super bands , and a full set of plastic protectors from pinbits. Really looking forward to diving into this game over the weekend without my job getting in the way!

#11178 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

I've lurked around this site for a long time but never bothered making an account because I had nothing to talk about. Those days are over now, its time to join the club! Just got my first pin yesterday. Picked up a HUO Metallica Monsters Premium from Kurt at hemispheres amusements. I've played plenty of pros out on location but never a premium. For the price I couldn't pass it up. Ordered some leg protectors, a pin gulp, some super bands , and a full set of plastic protectors from pinbits. Really looking forward to diving into this game over the weekend without my job getting in the way!

I'm actually really excited for you as I just bought a pro and love it. I will be putting a few games on it this weekend as well. Enjoy and welcome to Pinside.

#11179 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Congrats! Great pin to start with.

#11180 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Ordered some leg protectors

Do not put leg protectors on your pin, they are not needed. You will wrinkle the cab decals.

#11181 6 years ago

Hi Everyone, I just added a new product to my store.

Nudies - Clear Shooter Lane Kickout Protectors. I made one for all of us MET owners. Check them out here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1082-pin-mods/01064-nudies-clear-shooter-lane-eject-protectors
Stern Metallica (resized).jpgStern Metallica (resized).jpg

#11182 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Ordered some leg protectors

The protectors that come with your game are all you need. If for some reason they aren't on your pin you can by them here:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-0599-00

#11183 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Do not put leg protectors on your pin, they are not needed. You will wrinkle the cab decals.

Thanks for the info. There are plastic ones on there now, just figured the metal ones would be better. Guess they'll just get shelved.

#11184 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Thanks for the info. There are plastic ones on there now, just figured the metal ones would be better. Guess they'll just get shelved.

Nevermind. I thought you meant these protectors.pinballl-leg-protectors (resized).jpgpinballl-leg-protectors (resized).jpg

But if you're replacing the plastic Stern factory ones then you're good.

#11185 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Nothing wrong with the stock plastic ones. I have them on ST Pro, Mustang Pro, Avatar LE Met Pro, T3, GB Pro and a few other older Williams and they are fine, no problems at all and the price can't be beat. My mod goes right over them so they don't contact the cab art too. If you don't want the plastic ones send them my way.

#11186 6 years ago

Was just stripping down my recently purchased met Pro led and found the snake head kicker switch does not have a diode across it. Seems like that's factory. Can anyone else confirm is the same (or not) on their game please?

IMG_7144 (resized).JPGIMG_7144 (resized).JPG

#11187 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I haven't changed mine and it usually goes to the pops when it gets stopped :shurg:

Probably has to do with pitch as I can't recall any abnormal bounce backs. It goes into pops just fine. Had my Met Refinery Premium new since 2014. Plastic post works fine.

I went to order the light blockers for the 5 crosses, and can't order as guy is on vacation till 21st. That's ok, will pick some up. What a great mod.

#11188 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Was just stripping down my recently purchased met Pro led and found the snake head kicker switch does not have a diode across it. Seems like that's factory. Can anyone else confirm is the same (or not) on their game please?

Yes that's how it's supposed to be. Wait till the time comes when you need to change that switch out. Talk about a pain in the ass!!!

#11189 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes that's how it's supposed to be. Wait till the time comes when you need to change that switch out. Talk about a pain in the ass!!!

EVERY job in pinball takes longer than you thought!

So now it's all cleaned up and working, except sparky's shock solenoid seems to be very weak or not working. Will check fuses tomorrow.

And the snake seems to spit and spin the ball, it's not consistently hitting the left flipper, often goes off towards the left in/out lanes! could've done something while I was working down there, but equally interested if anyone else has seen this and if so how it got resolved. EDIT: since resolved.

#11190 6 years ago

Sounds like the kicker is not hitting the ball straight on. Maybe something is loose. Never had that problem but mine does fire back at different speeds. Sometimes real fast and sometimes the ball is dropped out. Also goes sdtm once in a while. Figure all these type of issues are about adjustments.

#11191 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

thanks to everyone that replied on the wire ball guides
my next problem is with the snake kick out on my premium, but I believe that I've finally figured out this issue
for those of you that have had to completely dismantle the snake assembly to insert the teeth from mezelmods.com, and are now experiencing ejected balls that seemingly kick out where ever they damn well want to instead of to the left flipper, this is what I've found:
not only is it a rather complicated assembly, it's a pain in the @ss to re-assemble and position the parts correctly. incorrectly assembling it is the cause of the balls being ejected in a somewhat random fashion because the plunger assy [part no. 515-7309-00] is not striking the ball dead-center when the coil is fired

the 2 longer metal screws that join and line up the 2 assemblies together (as indicated with the green highlighted areas). those plates need to line-up *perfectly* before you tighten all six screws; the 2 metal screws joining the assemblies as well as the 4 wood screws that mount both assemblies to the playfield (indicated by the purple areas)
if the 2 assemblies are not lined up correctly, the nylon end of the plunger assembly will not strike the center of the ball as it sits in the snake's mouth, resting in the small, circular cut-out of the snake upper jaw weldment [part no. 515-9669-00] (as shown highlighted in blue in the above [inset] image)
it's ashamed that stern did not create these parts to automatically line up when they are assembled (either in the form of "ears" on the snake upper jaw weldment or the snake coil bracket assy [part no. 515-9671-00] or some sort of stiff gasket to line them up, because it's very difficult to see where the top of the plunger assembly is sitting in relationship to that circular cut-off of the weldment where the ball rests
I'm going to purchase an endoscope from amazon.com (like one in the link below) that has a 45° mirror to correctly align the assemblies and hopefully correct my issue
amazon.com link »
edit:
since the endoscope allows you to take photos and video, I'll try and take some of both and post here once I receive it on thursday (2017.jan.05)

This post talks about the snake kick out issue. Going to try to line mine up correctly today. My Metallica is only 2 months old and I get probably 40% Outlane drains, 50% kick outs that end up in the inlane, and 10% that go to the actual flipper.

#11192 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

And the snake seems to spit and spin the ball, it's not consistently hitting the left flipper, often goes off towards the left in/out lanes! could've done something while I was working down there, but equally interested if anyone else has seen this and if so how it got resolved.

here's the actual posts from when I had this issue (and my resolution
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181#post-3521263

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181#post-3527474

#11193 6 years ago

Thank you. Before I read it later (it's kids bath time now), does this affect the prem, pro (mine) or both?

EDIT: lifted the playfield and found the snake kicker to be off-centre to the ring/hole. Loosened some of the bracket screws, adjusted the angle ever so slightly, and then retightened it in the new position. Seems to be spot on reliable now. It's not obvious that there's some adjustment on it, but it worked for me.

#11194 6 years ago

Got this belt buckle off ebay for $15 and mounted it up , looks allright with lights on i think sparky likes it

IMG_1559 (resized).JPGIMG_1559 (resized).JPG

#11195 6 years ago

So, I finally decided that I had had enough of that insanely loud buzzing from my left flipper, so I decided to do whatever I could to fix it. Pretty much the extent of what I was willing to do was to tighten everything up, and to try replacing the coil stop and coil sleeve, since the coil is obviously working fine. So I got the coil stop unattached, and found the sleeve to be dirty but not obviously damaged, but I replaced both of them anyway, and that most definitely made the noise problem almost 100% go away. That's the good part...

The bad part is that the head of one of the screws holding the coil stop in place literally fell off as I lowered the playfield. So, I now have a single good screw and one with several threads in place holding the stop there. For now, everything seems to be working great, but I will obviously have to get this screw out at some point in the future. Any suggestions as to how to do that? I assume there is a way to drill it out....

#11196 6 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Got this belt buckle off ebay for $15 and mounted it up , looks allright with lights on i think sparky likes it

Hmm, I know This from somewhere

IMG_6399 (resized).JPGIMG_6399 (resized).JPG

#11197 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

So, I finally decided that I had had enough of that insanely loud buzzing from my left flipper, so I decided to do whatever I could to fix it. Pretty much the extent of what I was willing to do was to tighten everything up, and to try replacing the coil stop and coil sleeve, since the coil is obviously working fine. So I got the coil stop unattached, and found the sleeve to be dirty but not obviously damaged, but I replaced both of them anyway, and that most definitely made the noise problem almost 100% go away. That's the good part...
The bad part is that the head of one of the screws holding the coil stop in place literally fell off as I lowered the playfield. So, I now have a single good screw and one with several threads in place holding the stop there. For now, everything seems to be working great, but I will obviously have to get this screw out at some point in the future. Any suggestions as to how to do that? I assume there is a way to drill it out....

If you take the flipper mount plate completely off, I would think there should be enough threads sticking through the back side to just grab it with pliers and turn it out the back.

#11198 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If you take the flipper mount plate completely off, I would think there should be enough threads sticking through the back side to just grab it with pliers and turn it out the back.

or worse case scenario, use an "easy out" tool to tap into the remainder of the screw and remove it

#11199 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Hmm, I know This from somewhere

Great job on the lighted ramp, that looks awesome!

#11200 6 years ago

To address the flipper buzz a bit more and as a PSA for the new pin owners.

The coil stops on the newer sterns don't last nearly as long as you may expect. It's a good idea to have a couple spares on hand as they are pretty cheap and easy to change. You will notice they are held in by a copper looking rivet. Over time that starts to work itself loose and will cause flipper buzz and can actually cause a difference in flipper strength/feel. If you take the stop off and you can spin the piece that goes in the coil the stop is bad. I'd talk about mushroomed stops but I doubt any of the newer Stern stops will last long enough for that. Not complaining, just stating the obvious.

Things I do when a flipper buzzes or starts to feel funny.
- take the coil stop off and check for damage.
- if it spins or is lose replace it
- while in there replace the sleeve and washer spring. For less than $1.50 in extra parts why not put a fresh new ones on now anyways?
- If the plunger is mushroomed, replace it (not real common on home use games). If it's good just give it a good wipe down to clean it.
- Make sure the Spring is on the correct side. It should be on the coil plunger side but often they are on the opposite side. (in red box in picture is where it should go)
- Make sure their is not any binding in the flipper bat itself. Their is a bushing (#10 in picture) that can cause sticking if it gets real dirty. Not common either on HUO games. Also check the gap correctly. You can use a CC or a flipper gap tool. Next time you place an order throw a couple in your cart since they are CHEAP.
- Make sure all mounting brackets are tight when re-assembling

Doing the above will resolve most flipper buzzing or sticking issues.

Stern coil stops (#2 in picture): DO NOT BUY Williams/Bally. They may last longer but the way they mount increases overall flipper travel. They will work but it will change how your game plays. I buy mine in set's of 10 as with the 25% they are only $3 a piece. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=274

Flipper Coil Sleeve (#9 in picture): http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=90

Flipper Coil Spring Washer (#5 in picture): http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=279

Flipper gap tool (second picture): http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8194

flipper (resized).jpgflipper (resized).jpg
flipper2 (resized).jpgflipper2 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/224 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.