711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,648 posts in this topic. You are on page 222 of 433.
#11051 6 years ago

so much arm twisting I'll throw it in my cart for my next PBL order

#11052 6 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

How integral are the pops to the rule set and how often is the post enabled during gameplay?

Both the pops and the top lanes are very important if you want to maximize your score.

#11053 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Both the pops and the top lanes are very important if you want to maximize your score.

I also find that hitting the orbit shots that flow all the way through during a combo feel much more satisfying compared to disabling the diverter and having every orbit shot go all the way around...It's the little things.

#11054 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

I also find that hitting the orbit shots that flow all the way through during a combo feel much more satisfying compared to disabling the diverter and having every orbit shot go all the way around...It's the little things.

Agreed. The pops are active on this game so disabling that up post is lame. I like to get the whole game involved.....not 95% of it

#11055 6 years ago

Agreed. I like playing the game as designed. Replacing the post is easy and cheap. A must for every ownee. Stern should of shipped with a metal post but that is just one of many cut corners.

#11056 6 years ago

I had no idea the post was supposed to stop the ball from the left orbit and deposit it in the pops. I'll be ordering the metal post for sure.

#11057 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

But how often is it stopped vs. getting bounced back? That's what the metal post fixes.
For me, I went from 75% plus bounce backs to maybe 1%. It was that drastic...

I would be happy with a 75% rebound. In nearly 100%. Need to finally get this ordered

#11058 6 years ago

I was more like 95 percent bounce backs with factory post. Now maybe 10 percent bounce backs at the very most with metal post. I super hard clean shot can still bounce back. But thats acceptable to me.

#11059 6 years ago

Ok, just had league at my house. Ya I now have a handful of left orbits going back to the orbit. Blah, time for a pbl order

#11060 6 years ago

I have achieved beating all the high scores on my game except for eotl and combo champ.

I don't seem to even get close to to 20 combos. Is this normal or do you guys score lots of combos per game?

#11061 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I have achieved beating all the high scores on my game except for eotl and combo champ.
I don't seem to even get close to to 20 combos. Is this normal or do you guys score lots of combos per game?

LOL I am lucky to get 4 or 5 in a good game... 20 seems to be the stuff of fiction!

#11062 6 years ago

I had 17 combos the other night.

#11063 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

For something like that, I only play to do that one goal. Otherwise last night I don't think I hit the ramps much :/

#11064 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

For something like that, I only play to do that one goal.

I've started a lot of games thinking that way, then quit after about a minute and two brick/drains

#11065 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I've started a lot of games thinking that way, then quit after about a minute and two brick/drains

hahaha...yeah. patience is key or take the glass off :-p

#11066 6 years ago

Started wiring er up. PITA.

20170701_185238 (resized).jpg20170701_185238 (resized).jpg

#11067 6 years ago

It's 1992 all over again at my house tonight! Who here saw the GNR/Metallica tour?

IMG_3795 (resized).PNGIMG_3795 (resized).PNG

#11068 6 years ago

Saw that show at the Astrodome. Guitarist from Metal Church filled in on guitar for James Hetfield

#11069 6 years ago

I did, Axel Pose pulled his leaving shit and Metallica blew them away anyway.

#11070 6 years ago

I saw it in Pittsburgh. Cheap seats in the upper deck.

#11072 6 years ago

How tall is that topper?

#11073 6 years ago

I saw the Guns/Metallica show at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. The ticket was $34, which at the time in 92' was very expensive. That's about half of what a shirt at a concert costs these days.

#11074 6 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I saw the Guns. The ticket was $34

I agree. I saw GnR in '91 same "Use your Illusion" tour only Skid Row opened. My buddy went to see Guns last summer ... $900. per ticket. Crazy!

GnR-Ticket-1991 (resized).jpgGnR-Ticket-1991 (resized).jpg

#11075 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

By custom do you mean home-made?

I made it at your Mom's house. Does that count as home made?

#11076 6 years ago

If anyone is interested in making the Metallica topper, I have the figure and stage set. I never opened it and can't use it as I only have 9 inches of clearance above my machine and you need 12 for this. I paid $60 with the shipping but I'd be willing to ship it anywhere in the US for $50.

ertert (resized).jpgertert (resized).jpg

#11077 6 years ago

I am having issues about 25% of the time with launching the ball into the orbit. It happens with auto launch or hand launch.

Sometimes it hits the side of the rail before its exits.

IMG_2089 (resized).JPGIMG_2089 (resized).JPG

IMG_2090 (resized).JPGIMG_2090 (resized).JPG

IMG_2091 (resized).JPGIMG_2091 (resized).JPG

IMG_2103 (resized).JPGIMG_2103 (resized).JPG

#11078 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I am having issues about 25% of the time with launching the ball into the orbit. It happens with auto launch or hand launch.
» YouTube video
Sometimes it hits the side of the rail before its exits.

Looks like the ball isn't being driven 100% straight each time. Step one is the remove the cliffy's in the shooter lane and reattempt. When the cliffys elevate the ball off the shooter lane, all kinds of crazy things can happen. They have to be in there just right to protect but not cause the ball to go nuts.

I'd try that first.

#11080 6 years ago

Good luck moving that trough side cliffy after it's installed. The adhesive is strong and any bend upward in the cliffy will eventually pop back up.

#11081 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Good luck moving that trough side cliffy after it's installed. The adhesive is strong and any bend upward in the cliffy will eventually pop back up.

The newest ones have that problem resolved. It's just a tiny metal tab that drives up into the rail to keep it in place. Quite ingenious. Of course the V1 just used the pressure to keep it in place, unfortunately mine would always work their way into the shooter lane causing things like the above post and much much worse including launching it like a catapult into the glass.

#11082 6 years ago

Look straight down at the ball and manually push in the launch solenoid slowly with your finger. You want to see the two sides of the launch "fork" contact the ball at the exact same time. I recently had to bend mine after it had worked perfectly for thousands of games. If it needs bending, you'll have to take the entire mech apart and use some very strong set of pliers, or a vise. That is some very strong steel!

#11083 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Look straight down at the ball and manually push in the launch solenoid slowly with your finger. You want to see the two sides of the launch "fork" contact the ball at the exact same time. I recently had to bend mine after it had worked perfectly for thousands of games. If it needs bending, you'll have to take the entire mech apart and use some very strong set of pliers, or a vise. That is some very strong steel!

He says it's also happening with a manual launch. That would steer it to something that could affect either type of plunge. I've definitely seen this as well though which was indicated by it plunging very differently between auto and manual.

#11084 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It prevents balls from bouncing back down either orbit.

I still get 90% bounce backs with the metal post. I just disabled the post on the settings. I don't get near the pop bumper action but I think it is fine.

#11085 6 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I still get 90% bounce backs with the metal post. I just disabled the post on the settings. I don't get near the pop bumper action but I think it is fine.

You hear of this from time to time, where the metal post doesn't fix it. I wonder if it's a pitch thing. Are the machines that aren't fixed by the metal post set up steeper than usual perhaps?

#11086 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You hear of this from time to time, where the metal post doesn't fix it. I wonder if it's a pitch thing. Are the machines that aren't fixed by the metal post set up steeper than usual perhaps?

Either that, or they are using a different metal post. The one I installed, which I believe is also the one that I linked to above, has a slightly smaller circumference than the the stock plastic post. I believe this creates a little more "give" when the ball strikes it, thus helping to absorb the inertia better.

#11087 6 years ago

My hammer magnet was stuck on and getting super hot. After some pinside reading, I found the white resistor in the cabinet from the magnet board. Tried resoldering and resinstalling but it didnt work. Guess I'll be calling Stern on the 5th. Please say a prayer for my MET. Thank you.

#11088 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

My hammer magnet was stuck on and getting super hot. After some pinside reading, I found the white resistor in the cabinet from the magnet board. Tried resoldering and resinstalling but it didnt work. Guess I'll be calling Stern on the 5th. Please say a prayer for my MET. Thank you.

Unless your game is still under warranty, Stern probably won't be much help, except for maybe a little technical advice. Here is the part you need. $65 plus shipping.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4029

#11089 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Unless your game is still under warranty, Stern probably won't be much help, except for maybe a little technical advice. Here is the part you need. $65 plus shipping.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4029

Linky no worky

#11090 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Linky no worky

That happens when an item sells out on Terry's site sometimes. It looks to be sold out pretty much everywhere. I'd go through my distro and have them order it.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6801-00

http://www.sternpinball.com/service-bulletins/service-bulletin-182-metallica

#11091 6 years ago

Snagged it. Thanks for the link.

#11092 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Damn. If I have to remove that I may kill the metal and have to but a new one. I guess I will have to do some more testing to be sure before I actually attempt..

When I first got the machine I noticed the auto launch screw that holds the mechanism was extremely loose. I tighten that up and it help the auto launch by about 25% but both auto launch and hand plunge are still too inconsistent.

#11093 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Damn. If I have to remove that I may kill the metal and have to but a new one. I guess I will have to do some more testing to be sure before I actually attempt..
When I first got the machine I noticed the auto launch screw that holds the mechanism was extremely loose. I tighten that up and it help the auto launch by about 25% but both auto launch and hand plunge are still too inconsistent.

The auto launcher on mine screws up sometimes and starts binding up...You take it apart and put it back together and it helps for awhile.

Phoebe

#11094 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

if you do attempt to move the cliffy, try this as it worked for me. I used fishing line to slip under the front edge of the cliffy and then kind of sawed downwards to break the seal. No damage whatsoever, but use strong line. Make sure you move sideways and not put pressure upwards to avoid damaging the cliffy.

I use this method to remove side rails but use wire in that instance

#11095 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

if you do attempt to move the cliffy, try this as it worked for me. I used fishing line to slip under the front edge of the cliffy and then kind of sawed downwards to break the seal. No damage whatsoever, but use strong line. Make sure you move sideways and not put pressure upwards to avoid damaging the cliffy.

Now that's a good idea.

#11096 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Ok, thanks for the tip.

#11097 6 years ago

I sent my pic over to Cliff and here's his response:

argh. they installed it too low on the right one. I designed them to look symmetrical and sit straight across from each other. I know what happened. They used the lower screw hole on the right strip. Its only there for games that need it- IM, SM and a few others. On metallica its not needed. if you line it up across from the left side parallel it will miss the lower screw hole but thats ok, it will still be clamped and hold. Being installed too low like that cocks the ball to one side a bit. Look at the pic of mine and you'll see the top edge of both protectors line up with each other. Mine install on top and his on the bottom. I am glad I dont have to take off the left side. I will make the adjusment and see what happends. Funny thing my TWD and ghostbusters all have them install incorrectly. I guess I will have to fix them all.

Even in this video on how to install it's off. Fast foward to the 39th second.

cliff (resized).pngcliff (resized).png

IMG_2172 (resized).jpgIMG_2172 (resized).jpg

#11098 6 years ago

Well I made the adjustment, it seems to help ever so slighly but I still get 20-25% of the balls that dont make it to the orbit.

IMG_2176 (resized).JPGIMG_2176 (resized).JPG

IMG_2175 (resized).JPGIMG_2175 (resized).JPG

#11099 6 years ago

I am at a loss. I tried putting some washers on the plunger to move it back abit, I tried bending the auto launch to make better contact with the ball. Same issue. . I am looking at the metal fork ramp and it doesn’t look center with the ball cavity. See how the arrow of the play field isn’t center with the metal fork. Its shifted slightly to the left. Is that normal?

IMG_2198 (resized).JPGIMG_2198 (resized).JPG

#11100 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I am at a loss. I tried putting some washers on the plunger to move it back abit, I tried bending the auto launch to make better contact with the ball. Same issue. . I am looking at the metal fork ramp and it doesn’t look center with the ball cavity. See how the arrow of the play field isn’t center with the metal fork. Its shifted slightly to the left. Is that normal?

I couldn't get a good look at where your shooter tip is compared to the ball at rest. For some reason the Stern shooter rods are a bit shorter than most. I have replaced most of my shooter rods on my Stern games to get the tip of the plunger touching the ball at rest. If it isn't touching, the shooter rod has to go past its resting point to get any force on the ball. Which makes it a very weak plunge. Swapping out the shooter rod with any aftermarket one makes the plunge so much simpler. If it is the auto launch mech that is giving you fits, there are a lot of threads with fixes for that.

Here is a picture of my stock Iron Man shooter rod next to the new one I bought, a bit of difference in length.

IMG_2707 (resized).JPGIMG_2707 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Other
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
There are 21,648 posts in this topic. You are on page 222 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/222?hl=bent98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.