C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 434.
#11001 6 years ago

I did the same mod on my Pro before I even knew about this mod. I used the short LED strips and just taped them in place across the inserts. A little scotch tape on each end of the LED strip and stuck them in place.

I made the Cross insert purple and then color matched the small cross inserts with purple bulbs. The Snake insert is orange to match the already orange snake inserts on the PF. Coffin insert is red and that matches the red coffin lock bulbs and the electric chair insert is white to match the white playfield chair inserts.

Matching the large insert colors and the small insert colors makes the end of ball tally look really nice as it shows how many crosses, chairs, etc you have. Why would the large snake insert be green when the playfield inserts are orange? Doesn't look cohesive. If you make the large cross purple, then color match the small cross inserts too and don't be halfway about it.

Also replaced the white FUEL inserts with Red-Orange-Yellow-Green and the fuel tank inserts above the large inserts also. I think doing all that really makes the playfield artwork and inserts look very cohesive.

Can probably see all that in this video I posted showing the spinners and rising cross.

#11002 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I did the same mod on my Pro before I even knew about this mod. I used the short LED strips and just taped them in place across the inserts. A little scotch tape on each end of the LED strip and stuck them in place.
I made the Cross insert purple and then color matched the small cross inserts with purple bulbs. The Snake insert is orange to match the already orange snake inserts on the PF. Coffin insert is red and that matches the red coffin lock bulbs and the electric chair insert is white to match the white playfield chair inserts.
Also replaced the white FUEL inserts with Red-Orange-Yellow-Green and the fuel tank inserts above the large inserts also. I think doing all that really makes the playfield artwork and inserts look very cohesive.
Can probably see all that in this video I posted showing the spinners and rising cross.
» YouTube video

Looks great man!! I really need to invest in that total light show and spinner board....been putting it off for awhile now as the install makes me nervous. It's def worth it. I haven't tried your set list yet you gave me but after watching the video I'm gonna test it out....really solid song picks

#11003 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

I will pay attention to the number of times I post my Insert Mod in this thread though. I definitely don't want to detract from all the good info in this thread.

...four posts later...

Quoted from HankScorpio:

Order yours here: (spam link removed)

Seriously, man. A bit tone deaf, eh? I mean, hey, you did wait a whole four posts before hawking your stuff again. We should be grateful, I guess!

#11004 6 years ago
Quoted from Knoler:

...four posts later...

Seriously, man. A bit tone deaf, eh? I mean, hey, you did wait a whole four posts before hawking your stuff again. We should be grateful, I guess!

Sorry to upset you. He asked me a question and I responded. I am a firm believer in good customer service.

#11005 6 years ago

thanks scorpio..i see the lil strips now! much better than the original btw! also, dammit I need to change my songs ..that should almost be a 'must do' mod! another dumb question: exactly what does the total light show mod do? is it more flashing and blinking lights to the code?! Thanks
Pomc-- u should try some cyan blue bulbs in the 8 guitar pic inserts! that rising cross looks deadly btw!

#11006 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

thanks scorpio..i see the lil strips now! much better than the original btw! also, dammit I need to change my songs ..that should almost be a 'must do' mod! another dumb question: exactly what does the total light show mod do? is it more flashing and blinking lights to the code?! Thanks
Pomc-- u should try some cyan blue bulbs in the 8 guitar pic inserts! that rising cross looks deadly btw!

I was about to try and explain the Total Lightshow package, but the creator (Timebandit) explains it thoroughly on the first post of this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-lightshow-powerful-interactive-lighting

I never thought about the guitar pick inserts. I'll see what blue bulbs I have and give it a crack. Thanks for the suggestion.

#11007 6 years ago

Did anybody here managed to install a real knocker on their Metallica?

I'm trying to install it on my ProLED, but I can't get it to work.
My wiring is this :

Q24 from the connector under play field to the step up board IN (P1)
20V from J7/p10 to the step up board 20V (p2)
Ground is correctly wired from the speaker frame to the step up board (p3)
Coil to the step up board SOL (p4)
50V from J10/p9 to the step up board (p5) and the coil trough a 3ampSB FUSE

I checked for voltages at the step up board connector, my readings are correct (I think)
P1 0.1v
P2 22v
P3 beeps to mesh wire in continuity
P4 beeps to continuity with coil
P5 reads 72v (same as on the sparky step up board)

I set-up the Q24 (option#44?) to knocker
I disabled the knocker sound.
My awards are set to credits.

Still, can't get the damn thing to knock either in test mode or in game.
I can still get the sound though.

Any clues ?

Coils aren't polarized right? (Coil diode has been removed)

#11008 6 years ago

New member of the club here! I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to buy a NIB pin for the first time in my life (actually my lovely wife decided she wanted to get us one for a wedding present!). After a lot of research (mostly in this forum!) I decided on a MET Pro LED. Got it delivered, had a few minor issues, and started with the mods. So far I have the colorDMD, the snake fangs and tongue, a pinnovation headphone kit (live in a 2nd floor apartment and trying to be a good neighbor!), lighted speakers, the metal post, a sparky protector, and probably a few others I've forgotten. I have side mirrors on order. This is by far the best pin I've ever played... couldn't be happier with my choice!

metpro1 (resized).jpgmetpro1 (resized).jpg

metpro3 (resized).jpgmetpro3 (resized).jpg

#11009 6 years ago
Quoted from jeston:

Did anybody here managed to install a real knocker on their Metallica?
I'm trying to install it on my ProLED, but I can't get it to work.
My wiring is this :
Q24 from the connector under play field to the step up board IN (P1)
20V from J7/p10 to the step up board 20V (p2)
Ground is correctly wired from the speaker frame to the step up board (p3)
Coil to the step up board SOL (p4)
50V from J10/p9 to the step up board (p5) and the coil trough a 3ampSB FUSE
I checked for voltages at the step up board connector, my readings are correct (I think)
P1 0.1v
P2 22v
P3 beeps to mesh wire in continuity
P4 beeps to continuity with coil
P5 reads 72v (same as on the sparky step up board)
I set-up the Q24 (option#44?) to knocker
I disabled the knocker sound.
My awards are set to credits.
Still, can't get the damn thing to knock either in test mode or in game.
I can still get the sound though.
Any clues ?
Coils aren't polarized right? (Coil diode has been removed)

I was hoping someone would just start making some real knocker kits. Demand would be huge. SAM or SPIKE systems please.

#11010 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I was hoping someone would just start making some real knocker kits. Demand would be huge. SAM or SPIKE systems please.

Now that stern is in the mod game, you would think this would be a no-brainer for them. They would sell a TON of them.

#11011 6 years ago

For the pickier pinsiders, I've designed a drop in mod that drastically reduces the light bleed around cross inserts. Check them out. Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pinball
IMG_20170618_2056582 (resized).jpgIMG_20170618_2056582 (resized).jpg

#11012 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

For the pickier pinsiders, I've designed a drop in mod that drastically reduces the light bleed around cross inserts. Check them out. Thanks
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pinball

I love this mod. Nice work!

#11013 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

This is definitely one of the cooler mods I have seen in a while. I am actively looking for things to print on my printer that I bought this month, would you be interested in selling just the file?

#11014 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I happily give this mod two thumbs up! damageinc55 was kind enough to provide me with a set of these to beta test for him. They were super easy to install, and they work as advertised. It always bugged me that the entire rectangle around the cross lights up. This is a very clever solution.

#11015 6 years ago

I didn't notice any light bleed until I installed purple LEDs under the cross inserts. Pretty cool.

#11016 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Just ordered 2 sets, one for me and one for my buddy.

#11017 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

New member of the club here! I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to buy a NIB pin for the first time in my life (actually my lovely wife decided she wanted to get us one for a wedding present!). After a lot of research (mostly in this forum!) I decided on a MET Pro LED. Got it delivered, had a few minor issues, and started with the mods. So far I have the colorDMD, the snake fangs and tongue, a pinnovation headphone kit (live in a 2nd floor apartment and trying to be a good neighbor!), lighted speakers, the metal post, a sparky protector, and probably a few others I've forgotten. I have side mirrors on order. This is by far the best pin I've ever played... couldn't be happier with my choice!

Welcome to Pinside, you really jumped into the hobby with both feet getting this game. I sell a light mod, if your interested PM me.

#11018 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just ordered 2 sets, one for me and one for my buddy.

Aww..... You shouldn't have!

#11020 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Never noticed this until you pointed it out. Now it bothers me. Lol.

#11021 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Sorry about that!

#11022 6 years ago

Too funny. I was playing MET last night and starting thinking it would be a cool mod to clean up the cross inserts. Going to order a set tonight. Love these kinds of mod that are inexpensive and functional.

#11023 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Dammit. Same here.

#11024 6 years ago

Afraid to go look

#11025 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Ship internationally!!!

IMG_6988 (resized).PNGIMG_6988 (resized).PNG

#11026 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Ship internationally!!!

Let me try to get a grip on costs to ship internationally for my shop. I'm not sure how to ballpark that. In the meantime, anyone interested outside of the US, shoot me a PM.

#11027 6 years ago

For anyone who has not replaced that plastic deflector post in the orbit with the steel equivalent, you need to make this a priority! I was skeptical that what seems like such a minor change would make a big difference in gameplay, but boy does it!!!! The pop bumpers are in play much more with this metal post than with the stock one. It's not perfect, but instead of 100% of all shots around the orbit getting sent back the way they came, now only about 10-15% of them are.

The question I have about this is how in the world did this part ever survive any kind of real-world testing in Stern's factory before the game was released?

#11028 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

For anyone who has not replaced that plastic deflector post in the orbit with the steel equivalent, you need to make this a priority! I was skeptical that what seems like such a minor change would make a big difference in gameplay, but boy does it!!!! The pop bumpers are in play much more with this metal post than with the stock one. It's not perfect, but instead of 100% of all shots around the orbit getting sent back the way they came, now only about 10-15% of them are.
The question I have about this is how in the world did this part ever survive any kind of real-world testing in Stern's factory before the game was released?

Thanks for the reminder. I purchased the metal post months ago and forgot to install it so far!

#11029 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

They probably did play test it and then said, "Well it doesn't work like it's supposed to, but it will save us 25 cents per post, so let's stick with the plastic one ..."

#11030 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I haven't changed mine and it usually goes to the pops when it gets stopped :shurg:

#11031 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I haven't changed mine and it usually goes to the pops when it gets stopped

But how often is it stopped vs. getting bounced back? That's what the metal post fixes.

For me, I went from 75% plus bounce backs to maybe 1%. It was that drastic...

#11032 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Same here. It virtually never bounces back on mine with the metal post, and it did it all the time before.

#11033 6 years ago

So this metal post is for a right orbit shot when the post is raised that will prevent bouncing back down the right orbit?

#11034 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

So this metal post is for a right orbit shot when the post is raised that will prevent bouncing back down the right orbit?

Was both left and orbit rejects for me previously. It fixed both. It has to be a scorching right orbit shot to even have a chance of bouncing back. The left never bounces back now.

#11035 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

It prevents balls from bouncing back down either orbit.

#11036 6 years ago

Who sells the metal post and for how much?

#11037 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Ship internationally!!!

I'd split postage!! Also damageinc55 Mark as 20 dollars value or our tax man over here like to go in dry where he can!

#11038 6 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

I'd split postage!! Also damageinc55 Mark as 20 dollars value or our tax man over here like to go in dry where he can!

Sorry dude, I think this was sent about 40seconds too late! We've already had the 'chat' via PM, which is the best place for it. I've done the explanation leg work if you wanted a set though.

Or stick 2 sets in my box, and we'll sort it locally (on the UK Forum).

#11039 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

PBL $10

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3591

#11040 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=A-17986

When you're looking for stuff like this, you should always check the key posts at the top of the thread. In this case, the first one has a link to the part.

#11041 6 years ago

Now that's interesting. This is a different part than the one I linked to. Which one is correct?

#11042 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Now that's interesting. This is a different part than the one I linked to. Which one is correct?

Damn you quoted me before I fixed it. The $10 is correct, reference Williams A-17986

#11043 6 years ago

Changing that post fixed bounce backs 100%. It never happens anymore. Stern just doesn't care. It's a $10 part from pbl, had stern bought in bulk it probably would have cost them $1 or less each.

#11044 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Changing that post fixed bounce backs 100%.

I disabled my post years ago due to the bounce backs. I love the flow without the post. How integral are the pops to the rule set and how often is the post enabled during gameplay?

#11045 6 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

I disabled my post years ago due to the bounce backs. I love the flow without the post. How integral are the pops to the rule set and how often is the post enabled during gameplay?

The lanes are important to complete. The pop up is active on most left orbit shots, not sure exactly when, but without it you won't see the lanes as much.

#11046 6 years ago

Post doesn't engage when part of a combo shot I believe.

#11047 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

But how often is it stopped vs. getting bounced back? That's what the metal post fixes.

you mean, hit the left orbit and get it bounced back the left orbit instead of dropping to the pops?

Mmmm sometimes? If it is a fast clean shot. I think I remember when this was first talked about and I had my game and didn't think it did it enough to warrant the new post but....mmmm I still may do this.

#11048 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Damn you quoted me before I fixed it. The $10 is correct, reference Williams A-17986

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3591

I think is it?

#11049 6 years ago

Getting the ball in the pops helps light the lights on the far left fuel lane shot. I believe with all three lit you get 3 blown pistons vs one for a fuel lane shot.

#11050 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mmmm sometimes? If it is a fast clean shot. I think I remember when this was first talked about and I had my game and didn't think it did it enough to warrant the new post but....mmmm I still may do this.

Exactly. On both orbit shots, if the post is up, it should come to a dead stop, then roll into the pops. If it doesn't happen often, probably not a big deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 149.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/221?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.