IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 433.
#10851 6 years ago

Well, this is the first time I've heard about checking the metal tab, so thanks to both of the prior posters for bringing it to my attention. I'm assuming it's the tab with the blue square on it in the pics. In the coil test, if I push Sparky backwards the coil works and shakes him. Otherwise nothing happens in the coil test if I don't touch anything.

How does this need to be adjusted then? Sucks not having service rails so the playfield can be slid out further to easier access.

20170530_121121_001 (resized).jpg20170530_121121_001 (resized).jpg

20170530_121102 (resized).jpg20170530_121102 (resized).jpg

#10852 6 years ago

Thats not the tab they are talking about.

If you pull the mech back against ths coil manually you will see a little finger like piece that holds the mech closer to the coil. It looks like yours is bent so the mech is too far away and the coil doesnt grab it.

#10853 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thats not the tab they are talking about.
If you pull the mech back against ths coil manually you will see a little finger like piece that holds the mech closer to the coil. It looks like yours is bent so the mech is too far away and the coil doesnt grab it.

I found the pic you posted of your new coil assembly in this thread. I see what you mean now - otherwise no way I could see that metal finger without another person here holding the playfield while it's fully extended.

....and it's fixed!

#10854 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I found the pic you posted of your new coil assembly in this thread. I see what you mean now - otherwise no way I could see that metal finger without another person here holding the playfield while it's fully extended.
....and it's fixed!

Awesome!

#10855 6 years ago

Now to install the Rising Cross mech once I receive a few cables I'm waiting on.

#10856 6 years ago

I don't have rails but rest the playfield on the metal brackets under the slings when I need access to back of playfield. I put a towel down to protect the wood and make sure no wires are in the way. I had to adjust my sparky a while back. On mine the metal plate had to be really close to magnet. Tolerance was very tight. I was worried that the metal tab would slowly bend back out but has been perfect.

#10857 6 years ago

anyone change alot of songs with pin browser? Would love to get some input on best way to do it...

#10858 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

anyone change alot of songs with pin browser? Would love to get some input on best way to do it...

I changed songs on Metallica and Mustang and followed suggestions from another older thread. I use Audacity to edit the songs and it works out great. Later I'll find that thread and link it here because I'm at the dog park now.

#10859 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Well, this is the first time I've heard about checking the metal tab, so thanks to both of the prior posters for bringing it to my attention.

You're welcome and glad you got it fixed!! I had the same issue at one point and then my coil got weak later. So I replaced the whole assembly and it fixed it. Should it happen again then you might want to replace it.

#10860 6 years ago

my sparky works but I'm having real problems getting the magnet to catch the ball. Unless its a nice soft roll near the area, most times than not the ball will not be intercepted by the magnet. So depending on what happens next I may get sparky to shake or it just goes straight into multiball. Do the magnet core need to be adjusted a little higher as mine may be a touch lower than the wood cut out ring?

#10861 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

my sparky works but I'm having real problems getting the magnet to catch the ball. Unless its a nice soft roll near the area, most times than not the ball will not be intercepted by the magnet. So depending on what happens next I may get sparky to shake or it just goes straight into multiball. Do the magnet core need to be adjusted a little higher as mine may be a touch lower than the wood cut out ring?

Take a pic and let's see how it looks. I don't think that would affect the strength of the magnet, but I'm sure someone else will know.

#10862 6 years ago

It might be in my mind, bit I could swear my hammer magnet used to snag the ball even if it was screaming by, and now it need to be a slow roller.

#10863 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Take a pic and let's see how it looks. I don't think that would affect the strength of the magnet, but I'm sure someone else will know.

raised it a couple of millimetres and seems to catch it better and the ball looks more central on the magnet when caught. Need to test a bit more to be sure though.

#10864 6 years ago

I just started playing around with Pinball Browser last night. For those of you that have swapped out songs, did you leave all the CIU songs intact? I'm thinking this makes the most sense.

#10865 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just started playing around with Pinball Browser last night. For those of you that have swapped out songs, did you leave all the CIU songs intact? I'm thinking this makes the most sense.

I didn't, since I replaced Fade to Black and one of the others, can't recall which one.

#10866 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I did.

I only replaced "Sad But True," "Creeping Death," "One," and "Unforgiven."

I also did something funky so "Ride the Lightning" would play from the beginning of the song during Sparky multiball: I replaced "CD" with "RTL" since the "CD" request starts from the beginning, and then I chose the option in settings to only play that song during multiball. I then replaced "RTL" with another song, so I could choose the other song at beginning of gameplay.

#10867 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I did.

I only replaced "Sad But True," "Creeping Death," "One," and "Unforgiven."

I also did something funky so "Ride the Lightning" would play from the beginning of the song during Sparky multiball: I replaced "CD" with "RTL" since the "CD" request starts from the beginning, and then I chose the option in settings to only play that song during multiball. I then replaced "RTL" with another song, so I could choose the other song at beginning of gameplay.

Very interesting. I didn't even know there was an option in settings to only play the song during multiball. Does anyone have a list of which songs are requested during which multiballs, and how far into the song it starts at?

#10868 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Very interesting. I didn't even know there was an option in settings to only play the song during multiball. Does anyone have a list of which songs are requested during which multiballs, and how far into the song it starts at?

For Sparky Multiball, settings allow Creeping Death only, Ride the Lightning only, or alternating. Ride the Lightning starts during a guitar solo, so I moved it to the Creeping Death slot.

Graveyard multiball = Master of Puppets
Coffin multi= For Whom the Bell Tolls
Snake = Sad But True
Sparky = Creeping Death and/or Ride the Lightning

#10869 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

For Sparky Multiball, settings allow Creeping Death only, Ride the Lightning only, or alternating. Ride the Lightning starts during a guitar solo, so I moved it to the Creeping Death slot.
Graveyard multiball = Master of Puppets
Coffin multi= For Whom the Bell Tolls
Snake = Sad But True
Sparky = Creeping Death and/or Ride the Lightning

Awesome! Exactly the info I was looking for.

#10870 6 years ago

Hoping to join soon - Met Pro LED purchase agreed in principle.

Anyone put an LED OCD board in MET Pro LED???

And is there an option for LED or Incandescent Light Effects, like in Iron Man VE? Guessing they just kept the incandescent Light Effects for the Pro LED model, but fudged it.

#10871 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Hoping to join soon - Met Pro LED purchase agreed in principle.
Anyone put an LED OCD board in MET Pro LED???
And is there an option for LED or Incandescent Light Effects, like in Iron Man VE? Guessing they just kept the incandescent Light Effects for the Pro LED model, but fudged it.

They added some resistor boards to the lamp matrix connectors for the Pro LED models, nothing more as far as I know. Looks great without any changes IMO.

#10872 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They added some resistor boards to the lamp matrix connectors for the Pro LED models, nothing more as far as I know. Looks great without any changes IMO.

Yes, those extra boards would be removed in favour of an LED OCD board. Like I did in IMVE.

It's looks great, agreed, but for me it's the small improvements that make a lot of difference.

#10873 6 years ago

Looking to buy a sparky to have painted. Anyone selling one or best price to buy? Thx

#10874 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking to buy a sparky to have painted. Anyone selling one or best price to buy? Thx

Best new price: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3244

#10875 6 years ago

I have 3 Metallica LED Insert Mods ready to ship. Buy yours here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1082-pin-mods/00828-stern-metallica-pro-led-insert-mod
MET Insert Mod CU (resized).jpgMET Insert Mod CU (resized).jpg

#10876 6 years ago

Sooooo. I had an 8 amp slow blow fuse burn out on me. No biggie, right? Bought like 5 more from marcos. BUT! Every time I replaced it, it blew out instantly again. Any advice here? I got no idea what is going on. And now I gotta buy more and wait for shipping .

#10877 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Sooooo. I had an 8 amp slow blow fuse burn out on me. No biggie, right? Bought like 5 more from marcos. BUT! Every time I replaced it, it blew out instantly again. Any advice here? I got no idea what is going on. And now I gotta buy more and wait for shipping .

Without solving the short, you'll just continue to blow fuses. Look at the circuit diagram in the manual and see where all that line runs. Something is touching something it shouldn't.

#10878 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Without solving the short, you'll just continue to blow fuses. Look at the circuit diagram in the manual and see where all that line runs. Something is touching something it shouldn't.

Hmm. That might be a little too advanced for me. I will try and look into it more tomorrow (and hopefully figure out how to understand a circuit diagram). The fuse was in the F5 position and when I replaced it, another 8 amp fuse blew in the F7 position.

#10879 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

another 8 amp fuse blew in the F7 position.

F-7 is the magnet fuse... Is this a premium or an LE? If so check the magnet board under the PF to see if the ceramic resistor is still attached to the board. It's possible that the hammer magnet has locked on and blown the board in that case the fuse will keep blowing because the board is bad.

Phoebe

#10880 6 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

F-7 is the magnet fuse... Is this a premium or an LE? If so check the magnet board under the PF to see if the ceramic resistor is still attached to the board. It's possible that the hammer magnet has locked on and blown the board in that case the fuse will keep blowing because the board is bad.
Phoebe

Just woke up and checked the magnet. Not sure where the ceramic resistor should be or what it looks like. Nothing is visibly fried around the magnet though.

#10881 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Just woke up and checked the magnet. Not sure where the ceramic resistor should be or what it looks like. Nothing is visibly fried around the magnet though.

Post a picture of the magnet board.

#10882 6 years ago

I love this mod. It's soooo much better then factory.

#10883 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Post a picture of the magnet board.

apologies for my lack of knowledge here, which board is the magnet board?

#10884 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

apologies for my lack of knowledge here, which board is the magnet board?

This is what the board should look like. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6801-00

It is mounted on the bottom of the playfield. The 4th picture on the page shows where it is mounted.

#10885 6 years ago

Thanks for the link. Here is the magnet board.

IMG_6767 (resized).JPGIMG_6767 (resized).JPG

#10886 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

OO I think I figures something out on my own! I believe this is the magnet board

Now show the back side.

#10887 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Now show the back side.

Well dang. I gotta head to work. I will take a picture of the back side tonight.

#10888 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Well dang. I gotta head to work. I will take a picture of the back side tonight.

Aw man, which is more important work of pinball? You have banker hours.

#10889 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I love this mod. It's soooo much better then factory.

Thanks MustangPaul!

My goal is to get a set in every Metallica and rid the world of ugly, harsh insert lighting

#10890 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Thanks for the link. Here is the magnet board.

If that is the front of your magnet board there is no need to take a pic of the back...the resistor is GONE...look in the bottom of your cabinet and there will be a ceramic resistor laying in there somewhere and that is your problem.

Phoebe

#10891 6 years ago

If that is the front of your magnet board there is no need to take a pic of the back...the resistor is GONE...look in the bottom of your cabinet and there will be a ceramic resistor laying in there somewhere and that is your problem.
Phoebe

Phoebe, I'm not sure if that is correct. Looking at the pictures from marcos that Kawydud posted, the resistor is not there either (if we are talking about the same resistor). I am posting a picture from marcos and a picture of the back of the board. It looks pretty clean to me...

IMG_9578 (resized).JPGIMG_9578 (resized).JPG

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 5.46.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-06-02 at 5.46.06 PM (resized).png

#10892 6 years ago

Phoebe

Yep. A white chalky looking rectangle that fits in R16

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg

#10893 6 years ago

Wait.... How is it missing in your first picture, and present in your second??

#10894 6 years ago

Yeah, there's no resistor on your board and it does look like a small burn mark, unless that is a reflection. Mini-circuit breakers are your friend when troubleshooting something that is constantly taking out fuses. You can use them in place of the fuse while you are solving the problem.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=56

#10895 6 years ago

Buy that shit now, I didn't know they were even still being stocked, for a while you couldn't even get them. Never know when they'll go unavailable again!

#10896 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yeah, there's no resistor on your board and it does look like a small burn mark, unless that is a reflection. Mini-circuit breakers are your friend when troubleshooting something that is constantly taking out fuses. You can use them in place of the fuse while you are solving the problem.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=56

Well shit. So I gotta buy a new board, huh? That's pinball!

#10897 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Wait.... How is it missing in your first picture, and present in your second??

The second pic is a screen grab from marcos

#10898 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Thanks MustangPaul!
My goal is to get a set in every Metallica and rid the world of ugly, harsh insert lighting

Your very welcome. NOW.....how about some for other games.

#10899 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your very welcome. NOW.....how about some for other games.

I am all ears! I would love to expand into other pins so any suggestions are welcome. I thought about TWD mode inserts.

#10900 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

I am all ears! I would love to expand into other pins so any suggestions are welcome. I thought about TWD mode inserts.

Pick any game, ones with big frosted inserts like MET. Not sure how many games have them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/218 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.