IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 217 of 433.
#10801 6 years ago

I did a similar speaker grill MOD. Not only do I like how they came out, subtle but evident. They were printed no a 3D printer so I bought a printer to start to work on my own mods and other useful / useless things. I'll come up with my own unique design and give you all an update.

I be printing a standoffs and adding an LED strips to see how speaker backlighting looks.

IMG_6369 (resized).JPGIMG_6369 (resized).JPG

#10802 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Just ordered one recently. They are still available.

Ok cool, I haven't talked to them in a while. Which is fine, I just did it as a favor for some people and let them offer it up.

#10803 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I did a similar speaker grill MOD. Not only do I like how they came out, subtle but evident. They were printed no a 3D printer so I bought a printer to start to work on my own mods and other useful / useless things. I'll come up with my own unique design and give you all an update.
I be printing a standoffs and adding an LED strips to see how speaker backlighting looks.

Here...you can get the original ones already made...
http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Speaker-Light-Kits.html
http://cointaker.com/t/speaker-lights

Phoebe

#10804 6 years ago

Been having 2 balls ejected occasionally into trough. I've checked connections. Any ideas what to look at exactly? Doesn't happen often, but been more frequently lately.

#10805 6 years ago

I think it happens on all Sterns once in a while. I think the ball ejects too hard and pops back into the trough and then on the next cycle it kicks 2 balls out sometimes.

#10806 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think it happens on all Sterns once in a while. I think the ball ejects too hard and pops back into the trough and then on the next cycle it kicks 2 balls out sometimes.

Ok. Was hoping it was just a bad bounce not registering in trough or something. Thanks

#10807 6 years ago

If you find a good solution or if anybody knows why it happens for sure please chime in. I guess it's a free multiball but still...

#10808 6 years ago

I would check the trough opto switches. I never had an issues with opto switches on my Stern games but it seems like a common issue.

#10809 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Been having 2 balls ejected occasionally into trough. I've checked connections. Any ideas what to look at exactly? Doesn't happen often, but been more frequently lately.

Just started happening for me as well.

#10810 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I would check the trough opto switches. I never had an issues with opto switches on my Stern games but it seems like a common issue.

This. I kept having it happen, as well as the game just going dead thinking here was a 4th ball in the trough. There is a connection in front that is easy to see and I kept reseating that, even though it didnt really appear to be off. Someone mentioned a second connection on the other side of the trough(Side facing the back glass) and that is the one that was giving me issues. Once I reseated it, I havent had a problem since. Good luck.

#10811 6 years ago

Yup reseat both, Stern troughs are notorious for that issue and 9 times out of 10 that's it.

#10812 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll reseat those. My buddy just got his first pin yesterday. Metallica pro. Are the creeping death blades and lighting rails still available and where? I can't remember where I got mine. Also looking for the extended sparky airball plastic. Thanks

#10813 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Are the creeping death blades and lighting rails still available and where?

https://www.pingraffix.com/metallica

#10814 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Thanks guys. I'll reseat those. My buddy just got his first pin yesterday. Metallica pro. Are the creeping death blades and lighting rails still available and where? I can't remember where I got mine. Also looking for the extended sparky airball plastic. Thanks

Assuming USPS address, i have a couple clear air ball plastics ready to ship for $6 paypal. Pm me if interested

#10816 6 years ago

Hi guys, had a problem with my new met premium where it could not eject a ball from the trough. I tried manually and it felt jammed. I got a ball out and played but the next ball had the same problem. Manually pushed it out and a globe came out with it. It was from one of the sling spotlights. Both of the sling spotlight globes have popped out before during gameplay. I spread the wires on the globes and they felt firmer when replace seated. But this one has popped out again after say 100 plays. Is there a way of stopping this from happening? I noticed my replacement ghostbusters playfield has wire mods that look like some kind of wedge system to hold the bulbs in place. Anyone seen or know what those wire pieces do?

#10817 6 years ago

You can put a dab of hot glue on the edge of the base just before installing. Comes out no problem when a bulb needs changing.

#10818 6 years ago

To hold the spot lights in,

I just use a wrap of electrical , black , tape around the led base.
Lift the wires on the bulb do a nice tight wrap, then bend the wires back into position ,
Good to go.

#10819 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

To hold the spot lights in,
I just use a wrap of electrical , black , tape around the led base.
Lift the wires on the bulb do a nice tight wrap, then bend the wires back into position ,
Good to go.

Has anyone seen the holders Stern is using on the new games for the spot lights? There is a piece of wire that clips on the bulb and goes to the back that keeps the bulb in place. Pretty neat clip.

#10820 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Has anyone seen the holders Stern is using on the new games for the spot lights? There is a piece of wire that clips on the bulb and goes to the back that keeps the bulb in place. Pretty neat clip.

I haven't noticed this. On what game did they start using this new type of holder?

#10821 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I haven't noticed this. On what game did they start using this new type of holder?

I don't know what game they started using them, I noticed them on the Aerosmith that we picked up at Allentown. I think they may have been on Ghostbusters that we were working on as well.

Of course searching through the manuals, they don't show that piece of wire. Simple little fix to a problem that has been going on for years.

#10822 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

My GB has them.

#10823 6 years ago

I think my X-Men had those clips...or maybe it was Walking Dead. But what a long overdue great idea.

#10824 6 years ago

Then I assume my GB has them. I guess i never bothered to look.

#10825 6 years ago

I saw a game on location with those clips. One of the clips came loose and looked like it was about to fall off.

#10826 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I saw a game on location with those clips. One of the clips came loose and looked like it was about to fall off.

They should make a clip to hold that clip in!

#10827 6 years ago

my replacement gb pf has them the old did not

#10828 6 years ago

Recently traded for a MET pro. I have it home and I've been fixing a couple things. After I worked on leveling / pitching the game my flippers started to buzz. They definitely did not buzz before I leveled and pitched the game. I see a variety of threads about Stern flipper buzz, even about pitch affecting the buzz...we will see what I can do.

#10829 6 years ago

Also my left orbit seems to send the ball into my left slingshot upon ball launch for super skill shot. Anyone deal with that? I guess I'll have to tweak the orbit.

#10830 6 years ago

For the sling spotlights, I replaced them with frosted LEDs, but they were still popping out every now and then. I accidentally broke off the globe on one while trying to push it back in. Instead of replacing the globe, I just left it off. After that, I realized the one without the globe never popped out, but the other one with the globe still on would do it occasionally. Once I removed the globe on that, I was fine. No more spots popping out. It's not too bright, and I don't have issues with them any longer. So try a couple flat SMD 555s in the spots, or break the globes off a couple of Comet frosteds like I did.

#10831 6 years ago
Quoted from mdelorenzo:

Recently traded for a MET pro. I have it home and I've been fixing a couple things. After I worked on leveling / pitching the game my flippers started to buzz. They definitely did not buzz before I leveled and pitched the game. I see a variety of threads about Stern flipper buzz, even about pitch affecting the buzz...we will see what I can do.

I had a met pro from the box where the backstops on the flippers went bad early. They separated the rivot and it would buzz like crazy.

#10832 6 years ago

Joined the club

IMG_0779 (resized).JPGIMG_0779 (resized).JPG

IMG_0782 (resized).JPGIMG_0782 (resized).JPG

IMG_0781 (resized).JPGIMG_0781 (resized).JPG

#10833 6 years ago

congrats and welcome to the club!

#10834 6 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Joined the club

Quoted from j_m_:

congrats and welcome to the club!

Send in your details for the free baconator asap. I hear that promo is ending soon...

See Post #7402: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/149#post-3224997

#10835 6 years ago

Not a good way to start the day..just exploded when I was pulling it off, must have just enough flex to explode it. Quite a show actually, never had it happen before. Luckily all the glass exploded when it was 3/4 off so most went on the floor. I guess it's a good excuse to buy a sheet of invisiglass

20170526_081635 (resized).jpg20170526_081635 (resized).jpg

#10836 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Not a good way to start the day..just exploded when I was pulling it off, must have just enough flex to explode it. Quite a show actually, never had it happen before. Luckily all the glass exploded when it was 3/4 off so most went on the floor. I guess it's a good excuse to buy a sheet of invisiglass

Call Stern and demand replacement.

Just kidding, but good luck cleaning up. You'll be finding pebbles for the next eleventy months.

#10837 6 years ago

Had the same with my Metallica Pro glass one year ago

Luckily the shards mainly just fell on the floor. And I still do find some shards these days, though I thought I had cleaned all the shards aside.

For me, it was at least a good reason to buy an invisiglass.

Hopefully your playfield hasn't taken too much damage.

#10838 6 years ago

I wanted to post this up for you guys to check out. We have just installed our Pin Stadium kit with the UV+Glow flasher upgrade option installed. Our kit is iPhone/Android app controllable and when installed is invisible to the player during gameplay. This will provide your Metallica with not only excellent playfield illumination (this is in a completely dark room) coupled with our the UV flasher feature that ignites the entire playfield. You can fully adjust the colors and individually control the white LED lights independently of each other inside of the app.

I did my best to try to capture the UV+Glow feature effect, in person it's super impressive. If you have any questions or would like to place an order, please visit the Pin Stadium website at www.pinstadium.com

Thanks and I hope you all enjoy this.

#10839 6 years ago

Also here is the Before and After to compare what the Pin Stadium kit does for MET when it comes to playfield illumination. Best thing about all of this is that due to the stealth mounting system it still maintains the factory stock appearance once installed.

metallica_pinball_led_lighting (resized).pngmetallica_pinball_led_lighting (resized).png

#10840 6 years ago

Dirty Donny payed us a visit in Australia and he was kind enough to sign my apron. I think it looks neat.

WIN_20170528_15_23_16_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20170528_15_23_16_Pro (resized).jpg

#10841 6 years ago

Huge shout out to ChuckCasey for helping me duplicate his awesome topper. Lighting is next.

20170529_140959 (resized).jpg20170529_140959 (resized).jpg

#10842 6 years ago

My Sparky stopped working, but didn't have a smoke show thankfully like reported in the "Sparky Warning" thread. Even though transistor Q18 tested fine I had it replaced since the board was out already. The fuse tested fine but I also replaced it - it was a 5A which was also correct per the manual.

So it would appear the step down voltage board is bad. Instead of replacing it, could the transistor on that board be replaced to fix the issue? What should the readings of that transistor be? It seemed to be bad when I tested it, but not certain.

https://goo.gl/photos/eKpv9beZsxQhKHdj6

I see Pinball Life has the coil and step driver board available for $30, so at least it's not an expensive fix, but I'd prefer to cheaply repair.

#10843 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My Sparky stopped working, but didn't have a smoke show thankfully like reported in the "Sparky Warning" thread. Even though transistor Q18 tested fine I had it replaced since the board was out already. The fuse tested fine but I also replaced it - it was a 5A which was also correct per the manual.
So it would appear the step down voltage board is bad. Instead of replacing it, could the transistor on that board be replaced to fix the issue? What should the readings of that transistor be? It seemed to be bad when I tested it, but not certain.
https://goo.gl/photos/eKpv9beZsxQhKHdj6
I see Pinball Life has the coil and step driver board available for $30, so at least it's not an expensive fix, but I'd prefer to cheaply repair.

Did it stop working completely? My Sparky got weak on me and I replaced the coil and board I believe then it was back to full power. It didn't stop all the way though.

#10844 6 years ago

Yup, just one day a couple of weeks ago I noticed Sparky wasn't shaking at all.

#10845 6 years ago

Okay, did you do the Sparky coil test and get any kind of reading from the coil with your meter?

#10846 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Okay, did you do the Sparky coil test and get any kind of reading from the coil with your meter?

I haven't done any testing yet aside from visually inspecting and replacing the transistor Q18 that is for the step driver board. I can test right now since I'm working from home today though.

#10847 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I haven't done any testing yet aside from visually inspecting and replacing the transistor Q18 that is for the step driver board. I can test right now since I'm working from home today though.

Just throwing this out there...
Did the spring on the coil on the back of the chair to Sparky's back break or come loose?

Phoebe

#10848 6 years ago

What should the coil readings be at for a 20v coil? For 50v coils, I seem to recall I'd want to see at least 3 ohms across the lugs.

Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Did the spring on the coil on the back of the chair to Sparky's back break or come loose?

Was hoping that was going to be the cause when this first happened.

#10849 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

What should the coil readings be at for a 20v coil? For 50v coils, I seem to recall I'd want to see at least 3 ohms across the lugs.

Was hoping that was going to be the cause when this first happened.

Off hand I don't know what reading you should be getting, however can you see and hear the coil activating? It may not move much, but just trying to determine how much action you are getting. Adjusting the metal tab finger on the back that tends to be an issue could be a solution.

#10850 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Off hand I don't know what reading you should be getting, however can you see and hear the coil activating? It may not move much, but just trying to determine how much action you are getting. Adjusting the metal tab finger on the back that tends to be an issue could be a solution.

My Sparky stopped shaking and adjusting the metal tab on the back fixed it FYI

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 217 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/217 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.