IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 433.
#10701 6 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

I am confused about the snake on my Pro, but don't know if I have a weird technical issue or if I'm just confused about the rules:
The way I understand how the snake should work:
1: Hit snake => Get one SNAKE letter
2: Hit one of the shots with a lit snake insert
3: Hit snake => Get the next SNAKE letter
...Rinse and repeat...
Correct?
However, in my case it seems very hit or miss if snake awards a letter or not. One example sequence from glass-off testing:
1: Hit snake => Get letter
2: Hit shot with lit snake insert
3: Hit snake => 5000 points awarded, soundbite of snake hissing, and ball is spit out immediately.
4: Hit snake => 5000 points awarded, soundbite of snake hissing, and ball is spit out immediately.
5: Hit snake => Get letter
6: Hit shot with lit snake insert
7: Hit snake => Get letter
I'm confused... If on steps 3 and 4 the ball had stayed in snake until ball search, I'd have a lead, but this behavior really puzzles me.
Any ideas?

Could it be that you have Feature Adjustment #17 (Snake Start. Shots for Snake Lit) set to something higher than 1?

#10702 6 years ago

Sounds like a loose or mis-adjusted snake switch. It can work to the effect that the snake popper senses the ball and pops it out, but the game doesn't recognize that the snake switch was hit. Make sure the switch is adjusted properly and both screws mounting it are tight.

#10703 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Sounds like a loose or mis-adjusted snake switch. It can work to the effect that the snake popper senses the ball and pops it out, but the game doesn't recognize that the snake switch was hit. Make sure the switch is adjusted properly and both screws mounting it are tight.

What switch is this in the snake assembly? Recently, my snake doesn't score a letter sometimes and just kicks the ball out. Is it item #7 on the head assembly?

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.44.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.44.41 AM (resized).png

#10704 6 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

I am confused about the snake on my Pro, but don't know if I have a weird technical issue or if I'm just confused about the rules:
The way I understand how the snake should work:
1: Hit snake => Get one SNAKE letter
2: Hit one of the shots with a lit snake insert
3: Hit snake => Get the next SNAKE letter
...Rinse and repeat...
Correct?
However, in my case it seems very hit or miss if snake awards a letter or not. One example sequence from glass-off testing:
1: Hit snake => Get letter
2: Hit shot with lit snake insert
3: Hit snake => 5000 points awarded, soundbite of snake hissing, and ball is spit out immediately.
4: Hit snake => 5000 points awarded, soundbite of snake hissing, and ball is spit out immediately.
5: Hit snake => Get letter
6: Hit shot with lit snake insert
7: Hit snake => Get letter
I'm confused... If on steps 3 and 4 the ball had stayed in snake until ball search, I'd have a lead, but this behavior really puzzles me.
Any ideas?

As I mentioned in my previous post...I just took the glass off my game, changed Feature adj. #17 to 3 (default is 1), and I got the exact same behavior you described.

It's not a switch adjustment.

#10705 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

As I mentioned in my previous post...I just took the glass off my game, changed Feature adj. #17 to 3 (default is 1), and I got the exact same behavior you described.

I noticed this also on my game sometimes, weird thing is it starts acting normal for me again after a drain the current ball and start the next one. I was just assuming it was a software glitch, that something happened that causes the snake to stop giving out letters.

#10706 6 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

What switch is this in the snake assembly? Recently, my snake doesn't score a letter sometimes and just kicks the ball out. Is it item #7 on the head assembly?

Yes switch #7. That is the only switch used in the assembly.

Quoted from Sparky:

I know for a fact and have experienced a switch adjustment causing this exact issue, you cannot certainly deny that fact. Could also be the adjustment you state, but if he hasn't changed it then it's not likely it changed on it's own.

Let us know how you come along with the fix!

#10707 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes switch #7. That is the only switch used in the assembly.

I know for a fact and have experienced a switch adjustment causing this exact issue, you cannot certainly deny that fact. Could also be the adjustment you state, but if he hasn't changed it then it's not likely it changed on it's own.
Let us know how you come along with the fix!

If his snake head is lighting after hitting a snake insert, and it's not awarding the letter, then yes, it's probably the switch. If the snake head is not lighting until two inserts or two snake hits (or combination of the two), then it's probably the setting. I just wanted him to check the setting before taking the assembly apart and making switch adjustments. He may have bought the game with that setting already in place.

#10708 6 years ago

Thanks for all the input! The game was bought NIB a few months ago, and has factory settings. The green light on top of snake is/was lit, so if that light bulb is only lit when snake is ready to award a letter, then it does sound like a switch issue, not an adjustment issue. But: Isn't it weird that the switch works for making the popper eject the ball but not awarding a letter? Sounds like something which could have been fixed in software.

Anyway, the game is on location, but I'll look into tuning the switch the next time I'm there, and also double-check the feature adjustment just in case.

#10709 6 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Thanks for all the input! The game was bought NIB a few months ago, and has factory settings. The green light on top of snake is/was lit, so if that light bulb is only lit when snake is ready to award a letter, then it does sound like a switch issue, not an adjustment issue. But: Isn't it weird that the switch works for making the popper eject the ball but not awarding a letter? Sounds like something which could have been fixed in software.
Anyway, the game is on location, but I'll look into tuning the switch the next time I'm there, and also double-check the feature adjustment just in case.

Thanks for the follow-up!

The Mystery Scoop can do this, too. Kickout, but not register.

#10710 6 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

But: Isn't it weird that the switch works for making the popper eject the ball but not awarding a letter?

That's why I thought it was a software glitch the 2 times it happened to me (2 different games). You light the snake, throw a ball in there, and he spits it out with no dmd animation or letter awarded, and the light goes out and you have to re-light him. After hitting a lane and re-lighting him again, you dump it in and he kicks it out with no letter awarded, rinse repeat. The 2 different games it happened to me, draining and starting a new ball fixed it and he operated normally.

#10711 6 years ago
Quoted from Skeets:

That's why I thought it was a software glitch the 2 times it happened to me (2 different games). You light the snake, throw a ball in there, and he spits it out with no dmd animation or letter awarded, and the light goes out and you have to re-light him. After hitting a lane and re-lighting him again, you dump it in and he kicks it out with no letter awarded, rinse repeat. The 2 different games it happened to me, draining and starting a new ball fixed it and he operated normally.

I've encountered the same situation with my 2 week-old NIB. I didn't see this happen while playing the first few dozen games, but it has showed up the last week. I decided to pull the switch out and "bend" the tip out a bit more, with the intent for it to contact the ball more easily. I've only played a half-dozen games since, but it has been working as expected.

Would love to hear if any other owners have encountered this and what their solution was?

#10712 6 years ago

I have had this issue on both the scoops in my 2013 met pro. Adjusted the switch arm so ball in scoop activates the switch completely. Issue went away. It doesnt take much adjustment/bending of the arm at all. I could see where this might reoccurr but hasnt on mine yet.

#10713 6 years ago

Happened on my NIB game after less than 20 plays on both scoops. On the mystery hole I bent the switch actuator slightly. On the snake hole, I found the switch mounting screws loose and I tightened them. No further issues on either scoop.

#10714 6 years ago

What's the best way to access that switch in the snake? My snake has been acting weird lately too, I make the shot and no snake letter awarded but game senses ball there and spits it back out.

#10715 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What's the best way to access that switch in the snake? My snake has been acting weird lately too, I make the shot and no snake letter awarded but game senses ball there and spits it back out.

From underneath the playfield.

#10716 6 years ago

I figured that much but still hard to get to. I think I would have to remove the switch in order to tweak the arm. It has those small hex screws and that's it.

#10717 6 years ago

Success! After checking that there was nothing wrong in the settings, I tweaked the snake switch to be a bit more sensitive, and it now behaves as it should every single time. Thanks!

Oh, and by using a leaf switch adjustment tool from Pinball Life, I was able to do the switch adjustment in literally seconds, without loosening a single screw or nut. Buy one if you don't have one!

Edit: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

#10718 6 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Oh, and by using a leaf switch adjustment tool from Pinball Life, I was able to do the switch adjustment in literally seconds, without loosening a single screw or nut. Buy one if you don't have one!

++++++ that, worth every penny.

#10719 6 years ago

my snake throws the ball out the left drain often and just noticed the metal tongue flap is stable. the right side can lift a fair amount angling the tongue considerable which may be causing it to fire the ball to the left. The plate will level itself when hit, but like I said sometimes it will remain at an angle. The photos don't show it at its worst, but you can see it is angled. Is this normal or what could be loose or missing? thanks

WP_20170505_19_01_18_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170505_19_01_18_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20170505_19_00_58_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170505_19_00_58_Pro (resized).jpg

#10720 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackstorm:

If anyone is interested in a coffin mod this one looks cool as heck. I talked to zene10 and he said right now he isn't making them but there has been a few people wanting his mod and he said if he can get 10-15 people wanting it he will make them. He is starting a list so if you would like one please pm him and get on the list

I'm considering doing a limited run of the coffin/skull with lit eyes again. PM me if interested.

WED_5228 (resized).JPGWED_5228 (resized).JPG

WED_5225 (resized).JPGWED_5225 (resized).JPG

#10721 6 years ago

Hey guys question, if I'm attending a super skill shot - holding left flipper on ball plunge - or I hit a soft orbit and the ball is traveling really slow at the point it reaches the top behind sparky.. it gets stuck all the time in the circular hole for the ball blck thing ( round plastic pipe that pipes up on a normal ball plunge) anyone else have this issue...

I noticed in mine the plastic deal
Retracts waaay down there and not flush with play field thankyou!

#10722 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey guys question, if I'm attending a super skill shot - holding left flipper on ball plunge - or I hit a soft orbit and the ball is traveling really slow at the point it reaches the top behind sparky.. it gets stuck all the time in the circular hole for the ball blck thing ( round plastic pipe that pipes up on a normal ball plunge) anyone else have this issue...
I noticed in mine the plastic deal
Retracts waaay down there and not flush with play field thankyou!

For starters, you need to adjust the height of the post so it is flush with the playfield. There is a screw for this purpose at the bottom of the mech. I'd also recommend swapping out the plastic post for a metal one. The game will play better.

#10723 6 years ago

Thanks gweempose so I remember the first time I lifted the play field there was a lone nut just chilling in the bottom of the cabinet... Well it had come up the stopper base, and thus the thing backed itself all the way out. Adjusted put it back on... Level with play field now! Back in business

#10724 6 years ago

The ball coming out of the snake is very erratic spewing the ball in all sorts of directions left. Many are sent straight to the left drain. Is there something I can do about this? Could it be a left/right levelling thing? Has anyone had this problem and solved it more importantly?

#10725 6 years ago

Push the right pick target to the right. Get a target splint from Mezel mods to prevent it from moving back in the way.

#10726 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

The ball coming out of the snake is very erratic spewing the ball in all sorts of directions left. Many are sent straight to the left drain. Is there something I can do about this? Could it be a left/right levelling thing? Has anyone had this problem and solved it more importantly?

Maybe it's just me, but the snake's tongue looks crooked in your pic.

#10727 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Agree!

#10728 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My Metallica LED Insert Mod is available again! You can order them here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PinMods

6E8906DB-EE4D-4706-A7F6-9AB9F8A193D9-7894-00000AFA0B4C58BF_tmp (resized).png6E8906DB-EE4D-4706-A7F6-9AB9F8A193D9-7894-00000AFA0B4C58BF_tmp (resized).png

#10729 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi Everyone,

» YouTube video

Have this mod and have to say its awesome!

#10730 6 years ago

Does this mod work for premiums?

#10731 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Does this mod work for premiums?

It does, but you will need to solder the wires directly to your LED power wires after you disconnect them from your current LED lights, which is super easy if you are comfortable with basic soldering. There are several people on here who have done so. Maybe someone can share their experience?

#10732 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

It does, but you will need to solder the wires directly to your LED power wires after you disconnect them from your current LED lights, which is super easy if you are comfortable with basic soldering. There are several people on here who have done so. Maybe someone can share their experience?

Ok that's good to know. Thank you.

#10733 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Have this mod and have to say its awesome!

Agreed. A must imo.

#10734 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

I've done it and it's really easy. Took 15 minutes tops. Mod is GREAT btw!!!

Also Hank gets these out pretty quick... Thanks again!

#10736 6 years ago

Is this mod extra lights under the inserts? Can't you just change the white bulbs to color LED's bulbs for the same effect? Or is this much brighter than that? I watched the video but must of missed it

#10737 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Is this mod extra lights under the inserts? Can't you just change the white bulbs to color LED's bulbs for the same effect? Or is this much brighter than that? I watched the video but must of missed it

It replaces your current lights and sockets. My mod adds a nice, bright, consistent glow to each insert.

I actually made this mod originally for myself after I tried using color LED bulbs and hated the way it looked. Not evenly lit at all.

#10738 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

It's the number of leds that fill the insert with light.

#10739 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Sorry guys fixed that problem. If you notice the screw on the mouth was loose and not holding the tongue plate. Did it up but came loose again, so loctited it in and now testing. I thought this would solve my throw problem but it didn't. Any other ideas please?

#10740 6 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi Everyone,

» YouTube video

Nice looking mod but wouldn't you have to change all the other inserts that are associated with each icon ie. all the cross inserts etc. That way they are color coordinated and easier to spot while the ball is zinging around? Also the snake insert could possibly be changed to orange seeing the smaller inserts around the playfield light up orange

#10741 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Nice looking mod but wouldn't you have to change all the other inserts that are associated with each icon ie. all the cross inserts etc. That way they are color coordinated and easier to spot while the ball is zinging around? Also the snake insert could possibly be changed to orange seeing the smaller inserts around the playfield light up orange

You can take the color coordination as far as you would like! I stopped at the 4 inserts, but it would be interesting to see a fully color coordinated MET!

I can also do custom colors for each insert and have had several people request orange for the snake.

#10742 6 years ago

I just used short 3 LED strips from Comet and simply taped them across the insert holes and they fit perfect. Remove the plastic socket mounts and bulbs, then plug in the strips to the socket. I'm going to color match my inserts so I'll be changing my green snake insert to an orange strip to match the snake inserts. I just happened to have a green strip but not an orange. I'll likely change my cross inserts to purple, but didn't have enough on hand.

20170303_231856 (resized).jpg20170303_231856 (resized).jpg

#10743 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I just used short 3 LED strips from Comet and simply taped them across the insert holes and they fit perfect. Remove the plastic socket mounts and bulbs, then plug in the strips to the socket. I'm going to color match my inserts so I'll be changing my green snake insert to an orange strip to match the snake inserts. I just happened to have a green strip but not an orange. I'll likely change my cross inserts to purple, but didn't have enough on hand.

Looks great! Post some pics after you color match the inserts.

#10744 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's the number of leds that fill the insert with light.

So it's basically a splitter with two bulbs per each insert? The inserts or plastics aren't changed out tho? I think a LED strip would definitely make it brighter. Mine are just bulbs and definitely not as full

20161213_220532_014 (resized).jpg20161213_220532_014 (resized).jpg

#10745 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'm going to color match my inserts, so I'll be changing my green snake insert to an orange strip to match the snake inserts.

I never understood why they chose to make the snake inserts orange to begin with. Perhaps DD felt that it better matched his color scheme.

#10746 6 years ago

Hello!
Sorry if this topic has been done to death...
Thinking about a Metallica purchase and wondering if the newer ones had issues with insert ghosting. (My KISS is starting to show some).
Again, sorry if already covered and thanks for any help!
Mike

#10747 6 years ago
Quoted from bitternerd:

Hello!
Sorry if this topic has been done to death...
Thinking about a Metallica purchase and wondering if the newer ones had issues with insert ghosting. (My KISS is starting to show some).
Again, sorry if already covered and thanks for any help!
Mike

have had mine for 3 weeks approx no ghost 300 plays but that really says nothing. I would feel in the clear after 6 months. BTW its a met premium

#10748 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Here's a comparison of mine with coloured bulbs and then with Hanks mod. You can see how much more full the colour is with the mod in.

IMG_20160703_120201 (resized).jpgIMG_20160703_120201 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160703_123719 (resized).jpgIMG_20160703_123719 (resized).jpg

#10749 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

My met is fully customized and color coded

Here's a full shot of the playfield when lit.

IMG_20170226_083200 (resized).jpgIMG_20170226_083200 (resized).jpg

#10750 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

My met is fully customized and color coded
Here's a full shot of the playfield when lit.

now that's what I'm talking about...nice

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/215 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.