C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 434.
#9851 7 years ago

Does anyone know the number of flashers in MET Pro? I need to figure out the type of flashers to order and the exact quantity. Thanks.

#9852 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

That's supposed to be how it works. It's possible some other call out had priority. It's usually Kirk saying, "Yeah, double scoring!"

That's really my only complaint about Metallica's design. They could have easily labeled the Fuel Lane arrow 2X or something & made it a different color than the other arrow inserts. Then it would have been easy to visually see 2x scoring was available & when it is running.

The average player really has no idea it's even an option by just looking at the playfield, and even though it may say so on the DMD, there's usually too much going on to even look up at the screen.

Perhaps they added 2X scoring to the code late in the game's design, after it was too late to add a dedicated insert. I'd be curious to know though.

#9853 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The average player really has no idea it's even an option by just looking at the playfield...

Double scoring is not FOR the average player.

#9854 7 years ago

And the fuel lane arrow flashes while its 2x scoring. And i think additional hits to the fuel lane will extend the 2x timer

#9855 7 years ago

You think that's bad--I was gonna change a few of mine to Nirvana.

#9856 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That's really my only complaint about Metallica's design. They could have easily labeled the Fuel Lane arrow 2X or something & made it a different color than the other arrow inserts. Then it would have been easy to visually see 2x scoring was available & when it is running.

On the Premium/LE models, the spider insert flashes pink for 2x scoring. You don't have the RGB inserts on the pro.

Rob

#9857 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

He means the outlane posts that every game has. Funny enough I couldn't find a flipper pic in google that had both, but one is circled here.

Thanks!!!

Been playing the game and I love it. However, I must say I'm a bit confused as to what the main objective or mission is other than starting MB's?

I managed to get to a section that let's you pick between 4 modes where you must complete some shots before the song is finished. Is this the main objective? I don't even know how I got there to be honest.

What is CIU and how is it achieved? What is the main objective of the game? Thanks!!!!

#9858 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks!!!
Been playing the game and I love it. However, I must say I'm a bit confused as to what the main objective or mission is other than starting MB's?
I managed to get to a section that let's you pick between 4 modes where you must complete some shots before the song is finished. Is this the main objective? I don't even know how I got there to be honest.
What is CIU and how is it achieved? What is the main objective of the game? Thanks!!!!

CIU is 'crank it up' mode (which you've already identified that you've been able to get to (it's accessed by shooting the ball into the mystery scoop when the right (blue) LED is lit. if you trap a ball and then cycle through the display counters with the other flipper (or do so between balls), the display will indicate how many hits to the snake, grave yard drop targets, coffin and electric chair are needed to access CIU.

completing all four CIU modes in a single game will allow you to access the 'end of the line' for your 5th CIU mode

#9859 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Changed some songs up on my MET Prem yesterday. I'm a big Guns N' Roses fan.
Sad but True - Welcome to the Jungle
Creeping Death - Sweet Child of Mine
Fuel - Out Ta Get Me
Seek and Destroy - Paradise City
The End of the Line - Rocket Queen
Master of Puppets - Civil War
Battery - Don't Damn Me
Ride the Lightening - Night-train
Blackened - You could be Mine

Maybe you should buy a GNR pin and a pin sound board lol

#9860 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Multiball gets you dozens of millions if done great

I've had a blackened score over 400 million by taking it into multiball.
I agree though, that the actual multiball rarely scores massive points, but it is still possible to get great scores from it. The main advantage of multiball is the progress towards CIU modes, in a relatively safe way.

#9861 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

CIU is 'crank it up' mode (which you've already identified that you've been able to get to (it's accessed by shooting the ball into the mystery scoop when the right (blue) LED is lit. if you trap a ball and then cycle through the display counters with the other flipper (or do so between balls), the display will indicate how many hits to the snake, grave yard drop targets, coffin and electric chair are needed to access CIU.
completing all four CIU modes in a single game will allow you to access the 'end of the line' for your 5th CIU mode

Thanks J_M!

#9862 7 years ago

The link below is a good reference for rules. It doesn't look like it's been updated since v1.63, but the rule changes in 1.64 and 1.7 are mostly points related. This will give you a good understanding of how advancing toward a CIU works. Once you understand the meaning of the inserts on the five lanes (spider indicator, switch, snake, cross) and how they advance you toward CIU, the game will take you to a whole new level.

http://tiltforums.com/t/metallica-wiki-rulesheet/228

Here is also the code ReadMe from Stern Pro:

http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL17_README.TXT

Premium:

http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL17LE_README.TXT

#9863 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Maybe you should buy a GNR pin and a pin sound board lol

That was on the first games I bought back in 2004 and sold it in 2013. I paid 1,100 for it. I'm just not a big MET fan. I don't dislike them, I just like G N' R a lot more.

#9864 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The link below is a good reference for rules. It doesn't look like it's been updated since v1.63, but the rule changes in 1.64 and 1.7 are mostly points related. This will give you a good understanding of how advancing toward a CIU works. Once you understand the meaning of the inserts on the five lanes (spider indicator, switch, snake, cross) and how they advance you toward CIU, the game will take you to a whole new level.
http://tiltforums.com/t/metallica-wiki-rulesheet/228
Here is also the code ReadMe from Stern Pro:
http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL17_README.TXT
Premium:
http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL17LE_README.TXT

Thanks! Just one question...Do I have to successfully complete all the shots in each of CIU modes in order to get to the end of the line? Or as long as I get to each CIU mode I'll make it to the end of the line? Thanks!

#9865 7 years ago

You just need to reach each CIU mode once, then EOL will be next. You don't have to make a single shot in CIU mode as long as you've started it.

#9866 7 years ago

Hmmm. I was going to say you technically need to escape at least two safely, but if you got two extra balls you could theoretically just immediately drain out of all 4 CIUs.

That's a funny thought to me.

#9867 7 years ago

Thanks guys! Loving my Met so far!

#9868 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Just one question...Do I have to successfully complete all the shots in each of CIU modes in order to get to the end of the line? Or as long as I get to each CIU mode I'll make it to the end of the line? Thanks!

One strategy for reaching multiple CIU's is to NOT start Seek and Destroy. Starting S&D will reset all the inserts, making it more difficult to start the next CIU.

#9869 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

One strategy for reaching multiple CIU's is to NOT start Seek and Destroy. Starting S&D will reset all the inserts, making it more difficult to start the next CIU.

Good to know! I wondered what the logic was that did that, always hated it when all my hard work disappeared. I kind of thought it was happening after a couple of CIU's were played...

#9870 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Seek and Destroy? You mean the song? Or is this some sort of mode? Thanks

#9871 7 years ago

Another question....Do I have to get into all the 4 different CIU modes to get to end of the line, or Can I just get into the CIU mode I like 4 times? Or Can I avoid a particular CIU and still get to End of the line?

#9872 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Another question....Do I have to get into all the 4 different CIU modes to get to end of the line, or Can I just get into the CIU mode I like 4 times? Or Can I avoid a particular CIU and still get to End of the line?

Seek & Destroy is a mode that starts when you complete the inserts in all 5 lanes (and lock them in after hitting the coffin/captive ball hurry up). When this mode ends, all the inserts will be un-lit, as if you are starting all over, and it is more difficult to acquire the number of Snakes, crosses, and chair switches needed to start the next CIU.

Once you choose a CIU, the next time it will not be available as a choice. You have to play all four, and then qualify CIU again a 5th time for End of the Line.

#9873 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Seek & Destroy is a mode that starts when you complete the inserts in all 5 lanes (and lock them in after hitting the coffin/captive ball hurry up). When this mode ends, all the inserts will be un-lit, as if you are starting all over, and it is more difficult to acquire the number of Snakes, crosses, and chair switches needed to start the next CIU.
Once you choose a CIU, the next time it will not be available as a choice. You have to play all four, and then qualify CIU again a 5th time for End of the Line.

So what is the benefit of completing Seek and Destroy then? At least try to save it for after you complete End of the Line? Though I suppose it is pretty much impossible to avoid it as the captive ball shot is so important for other things.

#9874 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Oh man! Awesome explanation Sparky! Thanks!!!

#9878 7 years ago

Without reading the rules presented by you guys yet....I guess the obvious question would be: What is the benefit of doing seek and destroy?

#9879 7 years ago

Its a fun mode. Kinda like a crank it up mini mode.

The lanes light in the order you you collected them in getting to S&D. You basically hit the shot "seek" and then hit the captive ball for "destroy". Each shot is like a timed hurry up. Mode ends when you fail to get the next shot.

#9880 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Its a fun mode. Kinda like a crank it up mini mode.
The lanes light in the order you you collected them in getting to S&D. You basically hit the shot "seek" and then hit the captive ball for "destroy". Each shot is like a timed hurry up. Mode ends when you fail to get the next shot.

Nice! Can't wait to play again.....At work right now

#9881 7 years ago

So I was playing right now and after sparky MB ended the game went into ball search mode...all the balls were in the through. Game ended on its Own after about a minute of ball search
(ball 3) Started another game and everything normal.

Then one time Sparky MB was started but the magnet didn't grab the ball. MB continued normally.

Are these common issues on Metallica? Thanks!

#9882 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

So I was playing right now and after sparky MB ended the game went into ball search mode...all the balls were in the through. Game ended on its Own after about a minute of ball search
(ball 3) Started another game and everything normal.
Then one time Sparky MB was started but the magnet didn't grab the ball. MB continued normally.
Are these common issues on Metallica? Thanks!

We've put a ton of games on our MET in the past few weeks and it hasn't ever done anything like you described.

#9883 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Don't worry about this. The ball is a moving target, sometimes the laws of physics just mean the ball is slightly out of reach of the magnet. Will happen every now and then.

And generally, don't worry about anything that happens very rarely. LOTS of moving parts. Things will happen. It's when something is regularly messing up that you take a look.

#9884 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Don't worry about this. The ball is a moving target, sometimes the laws of physics just mean the ball is slightly out of reach of the magnet. Will happen every now and then.
And generally, don't worry about anything that happens very rarely. LOTS of moving parts. Things will happen. It's when something is regularly messing up that you take a look.

Cool!!! The ball search did concern me a bit but then it played normally for like 10 games. The magnet not grabbing the ball...well I guess you are correct about gravity there

#9885 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Cool!!! The ball search did concern me a bit but then it played normally for like 10 games. The magnet not grabbing the ball...well I guess you are correct about gravity there

If the ball search thing happens again, id check the trough.

1) there are connectors to little boards on front and back of main trough. These frequently work themselves loose. Esp if you have a shaker installed. Simple fix is to just push the connectors back together every now and again.

2) if #1 didnt solve problem then you may need to examine the trough microswitches. There is a trough test in the menu system for the game that will visually show you where the game thinks the balls are.

#9886 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

If the ball search thing happens again, id check the trough.
1) there are connectors to little boards on front and back of main trough. These frequently work themselves loose. Esp if you have a shaker installed. Simple fix is to just push the connectors back together every now and again.
2) if #1 didnt solve problem then you may need to examine the trough microswitches. There is a trough test in the menu system for the game that will visually show you where the game thinks the balls are.

Thanks Rick!!!

#9887 7 years ago

I notice that during multiball, my snake doesn't actually hold the ball during 2x scoring from the snake. The DMD says "Ball Locked, 2x scoring for 20 seconds" and then the snake spits the ball back out. Is this an adjustment, and does anyone happen to know which number? I guess technically it could be an advantage, more balls to make shots with, but I think I'd prefer to play it by factory settings if possible.

Not sure why it would have been switched anyway unless Steve at PR did it haha

#9888 7 years ago

I notice that during multiball, my snake doesn't actually hold the ball during 2x scoring from the snake. The DMD says "Ball Locked, 2x scoring for 20 seconds" and then the snake spits the ball back out. Is this an adjustment, and does anyone happen to know which number? I guess technically it could be an advantage, more balls to make shots with, but I think I'd prefer to play it by factory settings if possible.
Not sure why it would have been switched anyway unless Steve at PR did it haha

Not sure if you have a pro or prem. But the pro has a setting for this. I beleieve the default is for the snake to spit it out. I usually set it to make the snake hold the ball though.

I think the prem works diff and it holds the ball, with the snake jaw closed. But i havent spent much time on a prem.

#9889 7 years ago

I have a pro. I didn't know that was the default on the pro! I assumed it worked the same on both games. Hmm. I think it makes more sense for me to change it still. I can see advantages to both sides. One way there's more balls to make shots with, the other I have one less ball to worry about cradling. As a control player I guess I'd like to have it lock.

Thanks!

#9890 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Not sure if you have a pro or prem. But the pro has a setting for this. I beleieve the default is for the snake to spit it out. I usually set it to make the snake hold the ball though.
I think the prem works diff and it holds the ball, with the snake jaw closed. But i havent spent much time on a prem.

What would be benefit of holding it vs spitting it out?

#9891 7 years ago

Less balls to worry about. If you only had two you can essentially have a single ball multiball = better accuracy and less flailing.

#9892 7 years ago

Less balls to worry about. If you only had two you can essentially have a single ball multiball = better accuracy and less flailing.

Yes I believe the advantage is it holds one ball reducing the number of balls in play during the multiball. With the premium it can hold the ball and then raise the jaw allowing continued hits to the snake however with the pro there is no moving jaw so if the ball is held you cannot acquire additional snake hits.

#9893 7 years ago

Very True!!! Nice!!! How can this be changed?

#9894 7 years ago

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Very True!!! Nice!!! How can this be changed?

There is a setting in the menu. Just scroll through the menu. It will be obvious.

#9895 7 years ago

I like having the ball held by the snake, not only for less balls on the playfield, but also because it seems like a nice feature and a reminder that there is 2x going on. If you happen to have three or four balls going for multiball, getting a second ball in the snake's mouth means even less balls to control during multiball. However, if you only have two balls going for multiball, and they're both in the snake's mouth (because the Pro doesn't close the mouth), that can be frustrating. Same frustration that comes with graveyard multiball and the magnet is holding the ball for super jackpot, but a second and/or third ball gets stuck, as well, because of a soft shot.

FYI, during the same multiball, hitting the picks a second time will still qualify the snake for 2x on the same multiball, but I think it spits it out after that and won't hold it.

#9896 7 years ago

When is a good time to wax your playfield on a NIB Metallica? I got about 80 plays in.... Thanks

#9897 7 years ago

Whenever you have time is a good time to wax your playfield.

#9898 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Whenever you have time is a good time to wax your playfield.

I was just asking because someone had mentioned not to wax a NIB playfield right away

#9899 7 years ago

there's no reason not to wax it right out of the box. I would wax it every 100 or 200 plays afterwards if you want to keep the playfield nice and clean and fast. the thin coat of wax will prevent any dirt or other contaminants from being ground into the clear

#9900 7 years ago

I do every 400 plays. This is, mind you, still well before I see any dirt trails forming. But it's proactive, but not so proactive that I'm annoying doing it every week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/198 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.