IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 433.
#9701 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes you are correct. CT is checking with Stern about those brackets to make sure it doesn't void warranty. I personally think they installed them a tad too high

Based on the picture you posted with them still installed, it does appear that at least that side is too high. The bottom of the playfield should not be hitting that part of the guide. It's not that they were tight from side to side; it was not allowing that side to drop down. If it wasn't hitting that bracket edge, it would have been hitting the hex screw. Mounted lower would have avoided that.

#9702 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Based on the picture you posted with them still installed, it does appear that at least that side is too high. The bottom of the playfield should not be hitting that part of the guide. It's not that they were tight from side to side; it was not allowing that side to drop down. If it wasn't hitting that bracket edge, it would have been hitting the hex screw. Mounted lower would have avoided that.

Exactly!

#9703 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

You know how with Williams games the playfield slides in the lockdown receiver slots like butter....Now that I "fixed" my issue, now I just have to give it a slight push or slight adjustment and it goes right in. I just want to know if pretty much this is normal for Stern games? Sorry guys, this is my first time owning a Stern pin, not used to this at all. All my other pins are Williams....BTW, sucks that I had to remove brackets installed at the factory....but whatever works I guess

Stern games have to be lifted or shoved over the stop to slide them all the way back in. The front of the game should drop into the lockbar without too much issue, but some games you need to push/pull a little to get them to line up or avoid hangups.

#9704 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern games have to be lifted or shoved over the stop to slide them all the way back in. The front of the game should drop into the lockbar without too much issue, but some games you need to push/pull a little to get them to line up or avoid hangups.

Awesome! Just what I needed to hear! I'm happy with my Metallica now

#9705 7 years ago

My machine was delivered today. Everything looked fine. I unboxed it and set it up. No problems with the playfield....heck didn't even have a single light out. I spit shined my balls and threw caution to the wind and fired it up. Had a great time. Played about 30 games before having to leave for work.

#9706 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

My machine was delivered today. Everything looked fine. I unboxed it and set it up. No problems with the playgirl....heck didn't even have a single light out. I spit shined my balls and threw caution to the wind and fired it up. Had a great time. Played about 30 games before having to leave for work.

Playing your newly received and just set up MET!? You are living on the edge!

Congratulations and welcome to the club - enjoy!

#9707 7 years ago

That's what they were made for. Play it like you stole it.

#9708 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

I spit shined my balls and threw caution to the wind and fired it up. Had a great time. Played about 30 games before having to leave for work.

Take that Kornfreak!! Haha.. Dude..even if it's just a few million.. let's see a score tonite!! I'm going to pour a gin and fire mine up with you! Cheers man..& Cheers to all you pinheads!

#9709 7 years ago

Im glad Korn figured it all out in the end, but man, whata shame to not play the game.

As everyone else said, play until the cliffys come and then install them. No need to be "spooked" or hung up on it.

In fact, I dont have cliffys in my games, which are played heavily (including league nights) and my games look just fine. Dont miss out because of some naysayers.

If you really couldnt play the game without cliffys, it wouldnt be built without them (yes, I know Stern has cut a lot of corners).

Its not like the ball is covered in sandpaper and razor blades.

#9710 7 years ago

What cliffs are "required" anyway? I don't have any ordered but could put in an order for a few. I guess I could look back through the thread too but... either way, playing my Metallica tomorrow as soon as I get the legs on. Probably gonna play until I can't anymore.

#9711 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Im glad Korn figured it all out in the end, but man, whata shame to not play the game.
As everyone else said, play until the cliffys come and then install them. No need to be "spooked" or hung up on it.
In fact, I dont have cliffys in my games, which are played heavily (including league nights) and my games look just fine. Dont miss out because of some naysayers.
If you really couldnt play the game without cliffys, it wouldnt be built without them (yes, I know Stern has cut a lot of corners).
Its not like the ball is covered in sandpaper and razor blades.

You are correct. But man! All these guys kept talking about how the "earlier run" was the best with no ghosting issues and how the "later run" has all these issues that I really got it in my brain to fully protect it before playing. BUT cliffys come tomorrow so I might just play a couple of games tonight! Next post should be of my score.....Thanks for all the help!

Hey Dee-Bow: enjoy that game while I sit here dreaming about playing mine will ya? Hahahaha

#9712 7 years ago

I've had mine for just under 2 years and don't have a cliffy on the scoop. It looks just like it came from the factory. Only cliffys I put on was the shooter lane set.

All you REALLY need is an airball protector for the Sparky shot.

#9713 7 years ago

I bought mine lightly used and good to go. Original owner had it all protected from day one! So, I'm just busting ur balls bud! It's a sweet investment and u want to keep that thing purdy! 2013 game and they still pumping them out faaak!

#9714 7 years ago

If your PF is gonna ghost, it's gonna ghost. Cliffy's won't protect that! I just picked up a NIB MET as well, playing the hell out of it. Cliffy's are on the way, but I'm enjoying the pin all the same!

#9715 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I bought mine lightly used and good to go. Original owner had it all protected from day one! So, I'm just busting ur balls bud! It's a sweet investment and u want to keep that thing purdy! 2013 game and they still pumping them out faaak!

I know man! It's coool!

#9716 7 years ago

All this cliffys talk is non sense. I don't have any cliffy's installed in any of my machines and they look fine. You have it in a home environment and it won't see nearly the plays as a routed machine. Just play the damn thing!

#9717 7 years ago

Eh. I wouldn't go that far. WoZ absolutely needs the munchkin protector for instance. I wouldn't mind protecting, say, the scoop.

#9718 7 years ago

Cliff's really comes down to personal choice and game specific. Some people don't like to even know a spec of damage might be happening out of sight under the apron in the drain hole while others just don't care.

Some go overboard, some just do basics. And some do nothing.

Do whatever you feel makes you comfortable as an owner.

#9719 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Eh. I wouldn't go that far. WoZ absolutely needs the munchkin protector for instance. I wouldn't mind protecting, say, the scoop.

Munchkin talk is prohibited in the Metallica thread!

#9720 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanos: I have played 3 games only. I'm wating for the cliffys. I do not want to play it until I install them cliffy protectors. They are on their way.

I ordered my BSD cliffys on the 2nd week of January.

I'm still waiting on them.

Your Metallica Pro is going to be the new Windows 95 by the time you play it at this rate.

PLAY IT. A couple hundred games won't do anything to it.

#9721 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I ordered my BSD cliffys on the 2nd week of January.
I'm still waiting on them.
Your Metallica Pro is going to be the new Windows 95 by the time you play it at this rate.
PLAY IT. A couple hundred games won't do anything to it.

2nd week of Jan???

#9722 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

2nd week of Jan???

Yep. 12 January. He is really slammed right now.

Play your game. Enjoy it. A couple hundred plays, seriously, will not hurt it.

#9723 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yep. 12 January. He is really slammed right now.
Play your game. Enjoy it. A couple hundred plays, seriously, will not hurt it.

Cool! Ty!

#9724 7 years ago

Reading this thread lately feels like waiting until marriage. Just do it already! Life is short and this is Metallica!

#9725 7 years ago

I ordered a ball drain cliffy last week and he messaged me last nite that it's in the mail!

#9726 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

About the playing time....Ever since I started reading this Thread, I all hear is to "Install cliffys before ball 1 is played" or else. I got spooked I guess with all the bad reviews and all the paranoia out there

Word to the wise, my Metallica drain hole starting seeing damage in the first hundred games easily. I would not play it without mylaring the drain hole unless you are not concerned. Sorry, but it happened to me.

#9727 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Word to the wise, my Metallica drain hole starting seeing damage in the first hundred games easily. I would not play it without mylaring the drain hole unless you are not concerned. Sorry, but it happened to me.

No need to be sorry, its your experience, and you made a choice.

To some people, the drain hole (which is completely covered by the apron) is not a concern. Out of sight, out of mind.

#9728 7 years ago

Cliffy's are here!!!! And a cool shirt too!

IMG_8975 (resized).JPGIMG_8975 (resized).JPG

#9729 7 years ago

Taking a break from playing, here she is! Unfortunately phone cameras don't play too well with the LEDs in the dark but I did my best. The first 2 are from Pinball Refinery's work space.

Realizing I don't have any pictures of the topper. But I've got a topper on there now. I'll be doing the snake ramp mod over the weekend, I just wanted to play today. Also have the metal post, and also have the top decals for the lightning rails coming. Not gonna lie, the game is F***ING amazing, but the electric chair mode is almost TOO blinky. I'm hoping the top decals will reduce the seizure risk lmao.

My top score is 174M right now. Have the game at 7 degrees, factory settings for everything.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG
6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#9730 7 years ago

Cool lit snake eyes

#9731 7 years ago

Thank you! I love those. They glow brighter when the snake is lit too. Grabbed two quick topper pics this morning.

Topper (1) (resized).JPGTopper (1) (resized).JPG

Topper (2) (resized).JPGTopper (2) (resized).JPG

#9732 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Thank you! I love those. They glow brighter when the snake is lit too. Grabbed two quick topper pics this morning.

Awesome topper!
Where did you get it & how much?

#9733 7 years ago

Where can you get the snake eyes or is that a custom mod you did?

#9734 7 years ago

Congrats on the PR Pro I like the powder coated apron, he wasn't offering that when he built mine. Definitely throw those lightning stickers on the top of the creeping death rails. They will cut back on the brightness for sure.

Make sure also you add Timebandit's Total Lightshow mod though. It produces the lighting effects of the Premium, and is by far the best mod you can add to a Met Pro.

Is that #32? I'm surprised Steve has only made 10 since I got mine about 2 years ago. Best pin purchase I ever made. Enjoy!

#9735 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Make sure also you add Timebandit's Total Lightshow mod though.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Where can you get the snake eyes or is that a custom mod you did?

Hey guys! A little about the mods I chose. The snake eyes mod was from Pinball Refinery, so I'm not sure if there's a kit available somewhere. Their site (changed to mipinballrefinery.com) would be the best spot to check.

There are several light packages in there, but I can talk to Steve and see if he knows how the Total Lightshow mod will play.

Physically there's of course the powdercoated armor, hinges, lockdown bar, apron, legs, coin door, return habitrails, and actually the internal support rails. The flipper bats are purple chrome and the shooter rod and leg bolts are also chromed. Then there are the UV reactive pinblades and the spinners.

For lights, beyond what I mentioned there are also additional Sparky lights, the lightning rails, UV lights for the pinblades and UV lights for the exterior sides of the cabinets. Flashers in the apron. All the LEDs are color upgraded, there's interactive speaker LEDs, additional snake and scoop LEDs (including the snake eyes), and undercab lighting.

Basically the only thing I didn't do for now was a custom painted Sparky. I couldn't think of something I'd want him painted as forever. Plus, to be honest, I kind of like the default Sparky. We'll see if I can think of something I'd rather have him look like down the line.

#9736 7 years ago

Hey fellas...so it appears I have my first problem with my game. Haven't seen it covered yet.

I had noticed that sparky had stopped shaking when he was getting shocked. I thought it was a fluke but decided to check diagnostics to see if there was a test for it. Not one I could find. So I played another game and sure enough he didn't shake. Then all this smoke started blowing out the top of him. At first I thought it was a super cool effect that I hadn't heard about but then realized the situation. He is smoked.

#9737 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Hey fellas...so it appears I have my first problem with my game. Haven't seen it covered yet.
I had noticed that sparky had stopped shaking when he was getting shocked. I thought it was a fluke but decided to check diagnostics to see if there was a test for it. Not one I could find. So I played another game and sure enough he didn't shake. Then all this smoke started blowing out the top of him. At first I thought it was a super cool effect that I hadn't heard about but then realized the situation. He is smoked.

Ouch.
I remember awhile back that happened to a few people that updated code with the coin door open or closed. Something crazy like that.
But I thought they had fixed that. Not sure why he would just smoke up. lol

#9738 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Oh shit. I seem to recall some kind of problem where the Sparky coil can lock on if you power on the game with the coin door open. I thought this was fixed in later runs, though.

#9740 7 years ago

It's the coil on the back of him. I was able to disconnect it and new parts are already on the way... Thanks Melissa.

IMAG0158 (resized).jpgIMAG0158 (resized).jpg

#9741 7 years ago

I didn't have the door opened or anything. Just happened during a normal play.

#9742 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Be very careful when you power it back on. You may have a shorted transistor which would cause the coil to energize right away and if left on it would fry the new coil as well.

#9743 7 years ago

I will be sure to give it a good going over before installing the new one.

#9744 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Damn!!!!! What a bunch of shiiit!!! Hope you get it resolved!

#9745 7 years ago

I had this problem (but i had the coin door open etc whe it happened to me.) This was back in fall 2013.

I would have figured new runs would have this fix in place. But maybe not?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4081

It has a modified board that wont fire the coil unless the flashers are on too.

#9746 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I had this problem (but i had the coin door open etc whe it happened to me.) This was back in fall 2013.
I would have figured new runs would have this fix in place. But maybe not?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4081
It has a modified board that wont fire the coil unless the flashers are on too.

Unless the flashers are on? Sorry a little confused. I would like to fix this issue before it happens....Thanks

#9747 7 years ago

Come see my custom BOZO the crazy clown inside my Metallica premium at Pintastic 2017! Notice his shirt. Amazing transformation MacLean from Pinside did on my sparky!

IMG_4853 (resized).PNGIMG_4853 (resized).PNG

IMG_4854 (resized).PNGIMG_4854 (resized).PNG

#9748 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Unless the flashers are on? Sorry a little confused. I would like to fix this issue before it happens....Thanks

The game has a stepup board in it already. When my sparky coil fried, stern and my distro sent me a new coil and step up board.

Couple years went by with no issue.

Eventually this kit was made available that prevents the problem from happening.

It comes with a harness that you connect with the flashers for sparky as wel as the original connectors.

The revised step up board must have additional logic "if" statment in it that wont allow the coil to fire unless the flashers are on too.

Since the flashers wont work if the coin door is opened this prevents the coil from locking on

Or at least that is my way of rationalizing it

Anyways i would have expected new mets to have this already. So you may be ok already.

#9749 7 years ago

That painted hammer is the shit!!! Nice work

#9750 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

The game has a stepup board in it already. When my sparky coil fried, stern and my distro sent me a new coil and step up board.
Couple years went by with no issue.
Eventually this kit was made available that prevents the problem from happening.
It comes with a harness that you connect with the flashers for sparky as wel as the original connectors.
The revised step up board must have additional logic "if" statment in it that wont allow the coil to fire unless the flashers are on too.
Since the flashers wont work if the coin door is opened this prevents the coil from locking on
Or at least that is my way of rationalizing it
Anyways i would have expected new mets to have this already. So you may be ok already.

Is there any way to tell if I have it already? Thanos75 just bought his and it fried....Maybe some have it and some don't? Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 199.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Shark
Decals
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/195 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.