IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 433.
#9601 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I had to push/pull a little on the rails underneath to get those both in the slots for about the first week. Then they just started lining up.

I sure hope so! At work at the moment, First Stern purchase here...and a little shocked to say the least

#9602 7 years ago

If anybody else has any other suggestions please feel free

J_M: Thanks for that link!

#9603 7 years ago

I just want to say from the bottom of Kornfreak's heart...u guys are frikkin awesome help in this thread! Serious, nice to see good peeps helping out with any problem that's someone has! And it helps that you guys know your shit too! Haha..Cheers

#9604 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I just want to say from the bottom of Kornfreak's heart...u guys are frikkin awesome help in this thread! Serious, nice to see good peeps helping out with any problem that's someone has! And it helps that you guys know your shit too! Haha..Cheers

+ 1 ^^^ Thank you Dee-Bow!

Hopefully I can figure out a way today...

#9605 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

First Stern purchase here...and a little shocked to say the least

Welcome to pinball. My WoZRR had tons of issues I had to chase in the first few weeks. Broken springs, doors sticking open, monkey dropping the ball, crystal ball going out. A couple others and one total system reset I never did figure out but it hasn't happened again.

Once you start nailing them down the experience gets a lot smoother though. It seems to be "fix a handful of issues right away, then you get smooth sailing for a good while"... and then random things that are nobody's fault in particular will start happening later on.

#9606 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Mines a new one also... u just use the peg holes/bolts.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats fine and great , but mine work fine and i didnt have to drill anything . Why drill holes if you dont need to ?

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I used the peg holes on all my games that had pegs, no problems at all.

Yeah +3. I mean if it came with support brackets this is where Stern would put them anyway.....makes sense to use what ever is pre existing as long as it fits properly.

#9607 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

If anybody else has any other suggestions please feel free
J_M: Thanks for that link!

Where do you live? I want to come over there and drop that damn playfield into the slots for you!!! Than play a game before you

#9608 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Where do you live? I want to come over there and drop that damn playfield into the slots for you!!! Than play a game before you

LOL Thanks for the laugh man!

#9609 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody have a clue how to make the playfield sit on the lockdown receiver?
I already moved the cables around back there and nothing. So disappointed with the quality of this machine. Seems like it was assembled in China or something...

there are a set of small metal clips screwed into the sides of the cabinet that help align the playfield (left-to-right) when you lower it back down to help keep the playfield centered, but that's not your problem

what you can do is this:

once you've lowered the playfield, attempt the following to correct your problem:
- loosen the playfield hanger just enough (see image below) (only do one at a time) so that it's loose enough that you can adjust its position and the tab fits into the receiver. re-tighten the bolts and repeat for the other hanger

playfield hangersplayfield hangers

it's possible that cabinet or the playfield was "tweaked" enough during shipping that those hangers don't line up when the playfield is returned to playing position. (on mine, they've always been close, but still require a bit of a [push] with my fingers to align them just a bit and drop into the receiver slots

#9610 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there are a set of small metal clips screwed into the sides of the cabinet that help align the playfield (left-to-right) when you lower it back down to help keep the playfield centered, but that's not your problem
what you can do is this:
once you've lowered the playfield, attempt the following to correct your problem:
- loosen the playfield hanger just enough (see image below) (only do one at a time) so that it's loose enough that you can adjust its position and the tab fits into the receiver. re-tighten the bolts and repeat for the other hanger

it's possible that cabinet or the playfield was "tweaked" enough during shipping that those hangers don't line up when the playfield is returned to playing position. (on mine, they've always been close, but still require a bit of a [push] with my fingers to align them just a bit and drop into the receiver slots

Great suggestion J_M! I already tried doing that but had the playfield on it's supports. I only removed the left hook. The problem is that those screws go into a T-nut and there isn't much wiggle room to move the hook back. I will try your suggestion today. Thanks for the help!

#9611 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Great suggestion J_M! I already tried doing that but had the playfield on it's supports. I only removed the left hook. The problem is that those screws go into a T-nut and there isn't much wiggle room to move the hook back. I will try your suggestion today. Thanks for the help!

It may be that it "feels" like it's all the way back because it's pushing against the harness cables, but the harness cables can be pushed and will flex a little to allow you to get that 1/8" that you need.

#9612 7 years ago

if you don't have enough "wiggle" room, I would figure out just how much the hanger needs to be moved (forward or back) on each side, then remove them (one at a time), adjust the position of the tab with a hammer tap or two, replace, re-tighten and repeat for the 2nd one

#9613 7 years ago

sparky makes a very valid point

you almost have to have the playfield completely lowered and then push those 2 harness bundles back a bit with the playfield backboard before lowering it all the way and locking the hanger tabs in place into the top of the receiver.

30 years of manufacturing pinball machines and stern still doesn't seem to have ironed out all of the kinks in their products. there so many tiny design changes could still be made resulting in a much better product (with that @#$% "hump" being no. 1 on the list)

#9614 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

sparky makes a very valid point
you almost have to have the playfield completely lowered and then push those 2 harness bundles back a bit with the playfield backboard before lowering it completely and locking the hanger tabs in place.
30 years of manufacturing pinball machines and stern still doesn't seem to have ironed out all of the kinks in their products. there so many tiny design changes could still be made resulting in a much better product (with that @#$% "hump" being no. 1 on the list)

Sparky and J_M: Another great suggestion but I already tried that, hell I even removed both loops that hold the cables from both sides. There is only so much those bundle of cables can be pushed to the sides. I will try again today, lowering the head and moving the cables from inside and working the playfield at the same time. Hopefully that does the trick....Thanks so much for trying to help guys!

#9615 7 years ago

Do you guys think the playfield might be warped or something?

#9616 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Do you guys think the playfield might be warped or something?

No. It's just tight. This comes up with a lot of new Stern owners.

#9617 7 years ago

The playfield came to you down and secure so it should be able to go back in. Honestly, what others have said is very accurate. Check the cables in the back carefully and make sure nothing is bunched up. This could also be the issue with your head not aligning. I would lift the playfield all the way and inspect the rails they slide on, make sure nothing is getting stuck in there, particularly in the back. Playfields can be stiff and sometimes you just need a little force to push them back and then down.

#9618 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

No. It's just tight. This comes up with a lot of new Stern owners.

Well, that's a good thing!

#9619 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The playfield came to you down and secure so it should be able to go back in. Honestly, what others have said is very accurate. Check the cables in the back carefully and make sure nothing is bunched up. This could also be the issue with your head not aligning. I would lift the playfield all the way and inspect the rails they slide on, make sure nothing is getting stuck in there, particularly in the back. Playfields can be stiff and sometimes you just need a little force to push them back and then down.

Wires are not pinched...I already made certain. I will however, check under the playfield as you suggest. I will do this after work today and report back. Thanks!!

#9620 7 years ago

I would like to point out, don't be too gentle! You need to have the apron on it. Just hold the center of the apron and don't be scared to give it a firm shove to get it seated.

#9621 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Wires are not pinched...I already made certain. I will however, check under the playfield as you suggest. I will do this after work today and report back. Thanks!!

Did you install the support brackets on a pro? Maybe they are hitting something inside the cab?

#9622 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Mines a new one also... u just use the peg holes/bolts.

which are only half the holes you need...

#9623 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I would like to point out, don't be too gentle! You need to have the apron on it. Just hold the center of the apron and don't be scared to give it a firm shove to get it seated.

I did give it a very firm push several times....Will push it harder...I'll try anything at this point

#9624 7 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Did you install the support brackets on a pro? Maybe they are hitting something inside the cab?

No sir, I haven't installed those yet....

#9625 7 years ago

Man....this has me kind of freaking out...lol...and I put out industrial fires for a living. I just ordered mine today and it will be here Friday.I have a feeling I will be referring to these posts often. Thank you Korn for asking some of the questions I'm sure I would be asking. And thanks in advance to the rest of your who I'm sure will be helping me aswell. Did I mention that this will be my first pin ever? Fingers crossed.

#9626 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Man....this has me kind of freaking out...lol...and I put out industrial fires for a living. I just ordered mine today and it will be here Friday.I have a feeling I will be referring to these posts often. Thank you Korn for asking some of the questions I'm sure I would be asking. And thanks in advance to the rest of your who I'm sure will be helping me aswell. Did I mention that this will be my first pin ever? Fingers crossed.

Congrats on your first pin! Let us know how it goes....

#9627 7 years ago

I'm sure you'll guys will be hearing all about it....lol

#9628 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This is what I do. Except I hold the posts/support rails and shove the playfield in and drop on lock down receiver.

Not sure if its been posted or not but watch this vid Korn and see if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=zbPfhWfuLlY

#9629 7 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

This is what I do. Except I hold the posts/support rails and shove the playfield in and drop on lock down receiver.

Thank you!!!!

#9630 7 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

great video. I didn't realize that stern made one. however, they need to update it seeing as how that they've gotten rid of the awesome "coffin" backbox lock and other things that have changed

- not too much in the backbox anymore for spike games
- luggage clips for the lockdown bar for pro models to remove the lockdown bar vs. the receiver and spring loaded yellow handle
- placement of power switch for spike games
- interlock switch (no longer present on spike games?)

#9631 7 years ago

Can't you simply remove the hanger bracket and slot out the two holes in it a little bit to give you some "adjustment" space?

#9632 7 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Can't you simply remove the hanger bracket and slot out the two holes in it a little bit to give you some "adjustment" space?

I guess I could, but I really would like to leave that as a last resort. Thanks

#9633 7 years ago

I spoke to Chris @ Cointaker and he offered full support and promised to get this resolved one way or another. A bit a good news for me.....

#9634 7 years ago

there's no reason to modify the receiver. you want the playfield to fit tightly in place

plain and simple, the playfield was locked in place upon arrival, so there's no reason why it can't go back to a locked position. a simple adjustment of the playfield (either forward or backwards) and a bit of downward force might be required, but it will go back into the slots

#9635 7 years ago

Still at work so I will update with results as soon as I get home....

#9636 7 years ago

Kornfreak...you're Killin me man!! hahaha

64107251 (resized).jpg64107251 (resized).jpg

#9637 7 years ago

Are you grabbing the back of the playfield with your dominate hand and holding the playfield underneath to maneuver it into position while using your non dominant hand at the front of the playfield under the apron?

#9638 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Kornfreak...you're Killin me man!! hahaha

That's funny Dee-Bow!!!!

#9639 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Are you grabbing the back of the playfield with your dominate hand and holding the playfield underneath to maneuver it into position while using your non dominant hand at the front of the playfield under the apron?

I don't recall if I did that but I will try it as soon as I get home....working overtime to recoup some money I spent on Metallica

#9640 7 years ago

Joined the club today! #265686 in the house (well technically, in the shop)! I assembled it and powered up. Everything looks good, and no ghosting inserts at present. But it's time for Andy Griffith now. So, Cliffy's and plastic protectors will go in tomorrow. Then I'll get to playing!

IMG_8097 (resized).JPGIMG_8097 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPGIMG_8100 (resized).JPG
IMG_8102 (resized).JPGIMG_8102 (resized).JPG
IMG_8105 (resized).JPGIMG_8105 (resized).JPG

#9641 7 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

But it's time for Andy Griffith now. So, Cliffy's and plastic protectors will go in tomorrow. Then I'll get to playing!

So funny.

#9642 7 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Joined the club today! #265686 in the house (well technically, in the shop)! I assembled it and powered up. Everything looks good, and no ghosting inserts at present.

Welcome to the club!!

#9643 7 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Joined the club today! #265686 in the house (well technically, in the shop)! I assembled it and powered up. Everything looks good, and no ghosting inserts at present. But it's time for Andy Griffith now. So, Cliffy's and plastic protectors will go in tomorrow. Then I'll get to playing!

Congrats on your MET Premium Monsters.
Never know what Barn & Opie are up to.

#9644 7 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

Congrats on your MET Premium Monsters.
Never know what Barn & Opie are up to.

Its just a pro actually....

#9645 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there's no reason to modify the receiver. you want the playfield to fit tightly in place
plain and simple, the playfield was locked in place upon arrival, so there's no reason why it can't go back to a locked position. a simple adjustment of the playfield (either forward or backwards) and a bit of downward force might be required, but it will go back into the slots

Read this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-playfield-twisted

#9646 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its just a pro actually....

My bad, awesome pin either way.
One of the best Stern's made IMO.

#9647 7 years ago

Ok so last night I was able to FORCE the playfield down into the lockdown receiver. It took a lot of effort, a lot of force and a lot of banging the playfield to get it to sit on the receiver. The right hook seems to go a little easier than the left for some reason This, of course, is NOT normal.

Then I decided to lift the playfield and test it once more. The playfield was (as expected) extremely difficult to lift out of the lockdown receiver because it had been forced down into the lockdown receiver.

When I finally got it off the receiver, the Playfield "popped" out (imagine removing your boots with the laces still firmly tied) that is what it felt like when the playfield popped out of the lockdown receiver. I then forced the playfield into the receiver again and went to bed.

Here are my questions to you guys:

Is this pretty normal for Stern games?

Do you guys also have to force the playfield down into the receiver?

Will me forcing the playfield down affect game play or worse, F-UP the cabinet or the playfield by warping it or something?

Thank you very much for your help!

#9648 7 years ago

I would say that is not normal. Mine is a premium, so I was able to push on the support rails from underneath, but nothing harsh like you are describing.

#9649 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Is this pretty normal for Stern games?

No, this is not normal. You sometimes have to fidget with it a bit to get it to go all the way down, but you shouldn't have to literally pound it into place. Have you tried adjusting your leg levelers?

#9650 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

No, this is not normal. You sometimes have to fidget with it a bit to get it to go all the way down, but you shouldn't have to literally pound it into place. Have you tried adjusting your leg levelers?

yeah, that helped some...it was way worse before I adjusted the legs

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 29.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Battle Creek, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/193 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.