Topic Stats

• 17,193 posts
  • 959 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by monkeyboypaul
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,944 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200121_210219 (resized).jpg
AD7C5EAA-16FB-4FEE-AA98-7714687D0538 (resized).jpeg
AD43465E-F523-4444-AAF5-8EF60E341772 (resized).jpeg
EBFC9F4E-6334-49DF-9FAE-9F4546D2FA26 (resized).jpeg
C983082E-5120-4A3C-9B68-EB491421D7E7 (resized).jpeg
3508fb180bb5eddd6ce77b68e97d976e00ff52fd.jpeg (resized).jpg
EF82459E-3D35-4C2F-A1A4-D5A5AF738B5B (resized).jpeg
12F2F3CA-9A84-4A07-8498-CDFCAD6BB449 (resized).jpeg
BDAA4093-FC41-4AF3-98C0-C8F4AFE06BC5 (resized).jpeg
5B2DBA3D-D33B-4FA3-B478-0C8902164D28.jpeg
08A2353A-227F-4471-B644-99250F8CD1ED (resized).jpeg
EE77AE9B-F9D2-4417-95C1-487A0003B0A6 (resized).jpeg
C2778CF1-BE72-4435-A7A3-956014D956D6 (resized).jpeg
EB43D533-A925-4165-9D81-02CB119BFBFD (resized).jpeg
FA45EFDB-A47E-43E1-93E9-D6B9E5A82DA2 (resized).jpeg
Dp4gQ5MU4AAC7vo (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 17193 posts in this topic. You are on page 192 of 344.
#9551 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What about the loud hummm noise I get from the right flipper? That is sooo odd! The left also gives the hummm sound but it's a lot less than the right flipper...

Adjust and tighten the coil stop.

#9552 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What about the loud hummm noise I get from the right flipper? That is sooo odd! The left also gives the hummm sound but it's a lot less than the right flipper...

Good old stern flippers lol..... usually the coil stop causes it...

#9553 2 years ago

Lol! Damn! Gotta open the hood on this baby already! I'll tighten the coils as advised. Thanks guys!

#9554 2 years ago

I've never bothererd..just turn up the volume!

#9555 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Lol! Damn! Gotta open the hood on this baby already! I'll tighten the coils as advised. Thanks guys!

its nothing u can really do anything about... i play mine at volume 48 with a powered subwoofer so i dont here it

#9556 2 years ago

Good advise! Thanks!

#9557 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Good advise! Thanks!

Stern flippers use pulsing to control the power (vs the dual wound coils B/W used). It's normal.. some are louder than others and the coil/plunger interface can make it worse, but you'll never eliminate it fully.

#9558 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern flippers use pulsing to control the power (vs the dual wound coils B/W used). It's normal.. some are louder than others and the coil/plunger interface can make it worse, but you'll never eliminate it fully.

Thank you flynnibus, I appreciate that!

#9559 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Damn! Just unboxed it right now, issues already. One of the holes to secure the top box doesn't line up
Is it me or this machine came with NO yellow handle to release the lockdown bar?

I have the exact issue with the holes not lining up. One side is fine, other, nope!

#9560 2 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I have the exact issue with the holes not lining up. One side is fine, other, nope!

There should be wiggle room with the head. Put one bolt in, but don't tighten it. On the side without the bolt, put your hand at the side/ top of the head and push it around until you find your spot with the other bolt.

#9561 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Adjust and tighten the coil stop.

Let me know exactly what you guys end up tweaking on the coil stop b/c mine does this too and it's not a big deal but why not remove the sound. Rather not mess anything up though and don't want to tinker around if there is a direct solution someone already found. Mine are on tight too def not lose by the coil stop (which seems like a really big piece of metal).

#9562 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Let me know exactly what you guys end up tweaking on the coil stop b/c mine does this too and it's not a big deal but why not remove the sound. Rather not mess anything up though and don't want to tinker around if there is a direct solution someone already found. Mine are on tight too def not lose by the coil stop (which seems like a really big piece of metal).

From LTG in another thread. This is what I've heard as the "solution" since I experienced it on LOTR over 10 years ago.

Quoted from LTG:

I've found that if you file the plunger end and coil stop top smooth ( where they meet ) reduces or eliminates it on Stern pins.
LTG : )

#9563 2 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Was just gonna start a game (played last night with no problem). Turn it on......and all I hear is the sound of the post inside the coffin, going up and down. There's a ball in there. Fiddled around a bit trying to get it out, now have this error. "Device Malfunction Coffin Lockup".
Any suggestions folks??

Was able to adjust the bracket enough that when the plunger drops, there's enough room for the balls to get out of the coffin. But the problem still persists. When I turn the pin on that plunger in the coffin goes off about 5-6 times, stops and I get the device malfunction tech alert. I've checked the wires, unplugged at the molex, plugged back in. Turn the pin on, same behaviour.

I've got an e-mail into Chas and my disto, but I'd really like to get this pin up and running sooner rather than later. Any tips folks?

Again, here is the error I'm getting.

lockup (resized).JPG

#9564 2 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Was able to adjust the bracket enough that when the plunger drops, there's enough room for the balls to get out of the coffin. But the problem still persists. When I turn the pin on that plunger in the coffin goes off about 5-6 times, stops and I get the device malfunction tech alert. I've checked the wires, unplugged at the molex, plugged back in. Turn the pin on, same behaviour.
I've got an e-mail into Chas and my disto, but I'd really like to get this pin up and running sooner rather than later. Any tips folks?
Again, here is the error I'm getting.

Pics of the mech might help those with a prem le see something that might be wrong/different.

If you put balls in the coffin trough, do they come out when the game opens the trough?

Is there a coffin trough test in the menus to help?

Sorry i dont have a prem/le.

#9565 2 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Pics of the mech might help those with a prem le see something that might be wrong/different.
If you put balls in the coffin trough, do they come out when the game opens the trough?
Is there a coffin trough test in the menus to help?
Sorry i dont have a prem/le.

So, once the balls are in the coffin trough and multiball is supposed to start, a ball kicks out of the regular ball trough, but thats it. None release from the coffin. When I power the game off and back on, the coffin spits out the balls and the plunger continues to fire 5-6 times, then goes into the Tech Alert.

Here's the coil going to the plunger.

IMG_3075 (resized).JPG

#9566 2 years ago

Does the trough for the coffin use similar roller microswitches like in the normal ball trough?

Whrn i got my SMVE last year all the micro switches in the ball trough were adjusted from the factory too high so the balls wouldnt push them down. The game would go nuts trying to kick balls out every now and then. Basically going nuts.

With the playfield down in normal position can you see well enough down through the coffin to see if the balls are resting against the post/gate that lets them out. Or do they roll backwards some ?

#9567 2 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Does the trough for the coffin use similar roller microswitches like in the normal ball trough?

You can see from the photo above that they are optos.

#9568 2 years ago

How is the cliffy installed in the outhole? Double sided tape?

I ask because my cliffys are on their way but I wanted to put some mylar down now so I can play with a little more piece of mind and then add the cliffy.

Will a Cliffy on top of mylar be too much for the ball to drain normally? Should I just wait for the cliffy? Thanks!

#9569 2 years ago

Also trying to install the support brackets. The instructions tell you to drill the holes but it doesn't say exactly where! There are no markings under the apron. Can anybody provide me the exact location where the holes are supposed to be drilled? Thanks!

IMG_8921 (resized).JPG

#9570 2 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

So, once the balls are in the coffin trough and multiball is supposed to start, a ball kicks out of the regular ball trough, but thats it. None release from the coffin. When I power the game off and back on, the coffin spits out the balls and the plunger continues to fire 5-6 times, then goes into the Tech Alert.
Here's the coil going to the plunger.

I'd test the opto's and make sure they are working. Perhaps it is confused and thinks a ball ⚾️ is locked but isn't......

#9571 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can see from the photo above that they are optos.

I see that now, i initially thought those boards were the litttle led boards stern uses in some games (like met prem)

#9572 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How is the cliffy installed in the outhole? Double sided tape?
I ask because my cliffys are on their way but I wanted to put some mylar down now so I can play with a little more piece of mind and then add the cliffy.
Will a Cliffy on top of mylar be too much for the ball to drain normally? Should I just wait for the cliffy? Thanks!

No double side tape on the met scoop cliffy ..it just clips in around edge. Yes u can put mylar down first and it wont effect anything.

#9573 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Also trying to install the support brackets. The instructions tell you to drill the holes but it doesn't say exactly where! There are no markings under the apron. Can anybody provide me the exact location where the holes are supposed to be drilled? Thanks!

I put mine on without taking pegs off or drilling anything......

#9574 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Me either. I think after I removed the pegs...I used those front holes as the holes for the support brackets. I did have to drill into the middle of the PF from underneath for the other side of the brackets though.

#9575 2 years ago

Anybody have a clue how to make the playfield sit on the lockdown receiver?

I already moved the cables around back there and nothing. So disappointed with the quality of this machine. Seems like it was assembled in China or something...

IMG_8924 (resized).JPG

#9576 2 years ago

It doesn't always just drop right into place. Mine is a little tight. You have to push and wiggle it into place.

#9577 2 years ago

But have you played it yet? XD

#9578 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Stern stopped making the holes midway through the run. Many games have no markings so you just have to size it up

#9579 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Look at the key posts linked at the start of the thread. There is a post showing some guidance.

#9580 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It doesn't always just drop right into place. Mine is a little tight. You have to push and wiggle it into place.

Really? Unreal....I just can't get it to fall in there. Right side does go in but not the left.

Sorry for all the questions...trying to set everything up. Can anybody answer the mylar question up top?

Also, trying to install the speaker lights and the instructions do not say If Metallica is supported and what system it belongs to...

IMG_8925 (resized).JPG

#9581 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That's because it can't remember the words!

The hum is normal. You can alleviate (reduce) it by loosening/tightening the coil stop or filing the coil stop slightly.

Rob

#9582 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Really? Unreal....I just can't get it to fall in there. Right side does go in but not the left.

You may need to adjust the leg levellers. If they are not even (or the floor isn't) it can cause the cabinet to twist a little and then the hooks don't line up with the receiver.

Rob

#9583 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

You may need to adjust the leg levellers. If they are not even (or the floor isn't) it can cause the cabinet to twist a little and then the hooks don't line up with the receiver.
Rob

Agree. If you havent, leveled it at least ballpark left to right you can have some racking of the cab to keep things from lining up.

#9584 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Agree. If you havent, leveled it at least ballpark left to right you can have some racking of the cab to keep things from lining up.

#9585 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody have a clue how to make the playfield sit on the lockdown receiver?
I already moved the cables around back there and nothing. So disappointed with the quality of this machine. Seems like it was assembled in China or something...

I felt same way when i got my first nib met lol.

#9586 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern stopped making the holes midway through the run. Many games have no markings so you just have to size it up

Mines a new one also... u just use the peg holes/bolts.

#9587 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No double side tape on the met scoop cliffy ..it just clips in around edge. Yes u can put mylar down first and it wont effect anything.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Sorry for all the questions...trying to set everything up. Can anybody answer the mylar question up top?
Also, trying to install the speaker lights and the instructions do not say If Metallica is supported and what system it belongs to...

I did awnser the mylar question...

#9588 2 years ago

Thanks guys! Let me check the levels and make sure. I'm so worried! Need to go to bed and this playfield won't sit properly

#9589 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I did awnser the mylar question...

Yes thank you!

#9590 2 years ago

KORNFREAK PLAY A GAME TOMORROW MORNING NO EXCUSES DAMMIT

#9591 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Mines a new one also... u just use the peg holes/bolts.

No, those are not the right holes to use. Usually there's a piece of paper that comes with the brackets that tells you how to measure where holes need to be drilled.

Rob

#9592 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

No, those are not the right holes to use. Usually there's a piece of paper that comes with the brackets that tells you how to measure where holes need to be drilled.
Rob

Thats fine and great , but mine work fine and i didnt have to drill anything . Why drill holes if you dont need to ?

#9593 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

KORNFREAK PLAY A GAME TOMORROW MORNING NO EXCUSES DAMMIT

If I can get the playfield to sit on the lockdown receiver I might! Already leveled the legs, helped a bit but not quite. Should I file the openings on the receiver?

#9594 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

I used the peg holes on all my games that had pegs, no problems at all.

#9595 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats fine and great , but mine work fine and i didnt have to drill anything . Why drill holes if you dont need to ?

As long as it fits, it's all good. I don't bother with the rails any more because their too costly to bring into Canada.

Rob

#9596 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

As long as it fits, it's all good. I don't bother with the rails any more because their too costly to bring into Canada.
Rob

Thanks for your help. I did level the legs (didn't need much) and it helped a bit. Not quite there yet tho. I hope I can Find a way tomorrow with fresh brains...

#9597 2 years ago

I had to push/pull a little on the rails underneath to get those both in the slots for about the first week. Then they just started lining up.

#9598 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Quoted from delt31:

see here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tq&tu=j_m_#post-3491335

#9599 2 years ago

Great thanks. I will look at this soon. Any chance I can do this without having to remove the flippers off the table? Hoping I can just tweak by pulling the table up and working under

#9600 2 years ago

yep, that's what I did. just lift the playfield into service position, and remove the bolts holding the coil stop. put some locktite on them and re-assemble (making sure to pinch the coil, spring washer and coil stop as tight together as possible while re-tightening up the bolts that secure the coil stop)

let the machine sit for at least 4 hours for the locktite to set and you should be good to go

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
There are 17193 posts in this topic. You are on page 192 of 344.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside