IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 187 of 433.
#9301 7 years ago

I'll be getting the full cliffy kit soon. I'm still a little unsure whether to install the carbon ring around the sparky magnet. Anyone install that one and later regret it, or is it holding up?

#9302 7 years ago

I have the CF cliffy's on my magnets and like them. Zero wear or issues after a couple months. Just make sure to level the magnet core to be level with the top surface of the cliffy, just a fraction of a turn if anything is needed.

#9303 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'll be getting the full cliffy kit soon. I'm still a little unsure whether to install the carbon ring around the sparky magnet. Anyone install that one and later regret it, or is it holding up?

I installed the carbon ring Cliffy's on my MET Premium, but took them off after only a few plays due to airballs that may cause potential damage.

The carbon ring Cliffy's are thicker compared to vinyl or Mylar (or even ss) & were like a ski jump for the pinball at high speeds.

After removing Cliffy's, no more airballs.

I like & use a lot of other Cliffy protectors though - they are 1st class.

#9304 7 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

I installed the carbon ring Cliffy's on my MET Premium, but took them off after only a few plays due to airballs that may cause potential damage.
The carbon ring Cliffy's are thicker compared to vinyl or Mylar (or even ss) & were like a ski jump for the pinball at high speeds.
After removing Cliffy's, no more airballs.
I like & use a lot of other Cliffy protectors though - they are 1st class.

I don't know how you installed them, but my carbon cliffy ring is just about flush with the playfield. I have never had an airball off of it, as it's so thin. My cliffy's have been on for over a year and do a great job without issue.

#9305 7 years ago

Picking up a NIB MET Premium tomorrow. So f'n stoked.

#9306 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I don't know how you installed them, but my carbon cliffy ring is just about flush with the playfield. I have never had an airball off of it, as it's so thin. My cliffy's have been on for over a year and do a great job without issue.

Ditto here. Not a single airball off a cliffy.

#9307 7 years ago

So the cliffy set comes with 3 pieces for the shooter lane area. Wondering if the rail guard piece is really that necessary. That is the one that goes on the wood rail and you screw in 2 screws to old it in place. Does anyone have pics of that area without cliffys installed... after a lot of plays? Curious if that area does get beat up a lot after a ton of play.

#9308 7 years ago

So the cliffy set comes with 3 pieces for the shooter lane area. Wondering if the rail guard piece is really that necessary. That is the one that goes on the wood rail and you screw in 2 screws to old it in place. Does anyone have pics of that area without cliffys installed... after a lot of plays? Curious if that area does get beat up a lot after a ton of play.

My experience, yes, it is necessary. I recently bought a HUO MET Pro that had 3500 plays and it had a cliffy from day 1 and that metal piece was actually bent in the middle from all the times the ball slammed into it. I had to straighten it out in a vice as it was affecting the ball trajectory when plunged. So I can imagine what the wood would have looked like if it wasn't there.

#9309 7 years ago

I would say yes, too. I have bought older Stern games where that rail is beat. All other newer Sterns I have put it on immediately.

#9310 7 years ago

Sounds good, I'll put it in also. I think I'll just install the entire cliffy kit, including both carbon fiber rings.

#9311 7 years ago

What Mylar or what custom cut piece do you use to protect the shooter lane and does anybody have any pictures of it installed? Thanks.

#9312 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Center it around the magnet, then peel and stick is the only way you can install them as far as I know.

Maybe they are made thinner these days (I installed mine a little over a year ago), but playfield damage would have occurred if I kept them on.

To cliffs credit, he gave me a partial refund after I told him about my issue.

#9313 7 years ago

I've dropped so many quarters into this game at the local arcade. I have decided to join the club in the next month with an NIB Premium Monsters. Are there certain runs of this game/serial numbers that should be avoided because of playfield issues? I've looked at most of this thread and noticed some people having bad playfield chipping problems with only a few weeks play on the machine. I assume the sparky airball protector and magnet mylar/cliffys really help that problem, but I just want to make sure there wasn't a bad batch of play fields that got out into the wild.

I'm really looking forward to getting a fast and furious game like this in my lineup.

#9314 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I've dropped so many quarters into this game at the local arcade. I have decided to join the club in the next month with an NIB Premium Monsters. Are there certain runs of this game/serial numbers that should be avoided because of playfield issues? I've looked at most of this thread and noticed some people having bad playfield chipping problems with only a few weeks play on the machine. I assume the sparky airball protector and magnet mylar/cliffys really help that problem, but I just want to make sure there wasn't a bad batch of play fields that got out into the wild.
I'm really looking forward to getting a fast and furious game like this in my lineup.

Seems like all of Stern's games that came out in 2016 were very hit or miss with play field/clearcoat quality.

BM66s are coming out with issues now as well...so I don't know that anything built this year will be any better

#9315 7 years ago

Hey guys anyone add the Tournament button to their game? I couldn't stand the plugged hole there and this looks much better. Does Met even support it? If so where do you tie it into?

31838923503_f17b48cb47_k (resized).jpg31838923503_f17b48cb47_k (resized).jpg

#9316 7 years ago

The wires are there, look inside. Wired the same as the start button.

#9317 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Hey guys anyone add the Tournament button to their game? I couldn't stand the plugged hole there and this looks much better. Does Met even support it? If so where do you tie it into?

Get this instead. I put them on all my games. They are great!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2894

#9318 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The wires are there, look inside. Wired the same as the start button.

Oh nice! I saw some wires there was wondering what they were! That was easy! Thanks!

#9319 7 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I was thinking about that as well but I typically don't have to adjust the volume on my games.. loud!

#9320 7 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

How does that work? It just looked like an on/off switch, just not sure how you change the volume with it.

#9321 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How does that work? It just looked like an on/off switch, just not sure how you change the volume with it.

It's a rocker switch. Push it up to raise the volume, and down to lower it.

#9322 7 years ago

Well, got my MET today, right now trying to install the shaker but cannot find the connecter to give it power........I've looked through all the wires around the front of the cab, pulled the harnesses out of the plastic holsters, still no connector. Any suggestions??

#9323 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Well, got my MET today, right now trying to install the shaker but cannot find the connecter to give it power........I've looked through all the wires around the front of the cab, pulled the harnesses out of the plastic holsters, still no connector. Any suggestions??

Is the shaker from Stern or another company? It didn't come with instructions? Stern's connection is in the back of the cab, I believe. Cointaker's is near the front of the cab.

#9324 7 years ago

Found the ground.....but still looking for the 4 pin connector.

Sparky, I know how to install the shaker...it's all done. Last step is this missing connector!! Grrrr

#9325 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Found the ground.....but still looking for the 4 pin connector.
Sparky, I know how to install the shaker...it's all done. Last step is this missing connector!! Grrrr

I was talking about the connector.

#9326 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Is the shaker from Stern or another company? It didn't come with instructions? Stern's connection is in the back of the cab, I believe. Cointaker's is near the front of the cab.

There are two connections, a molex plug in the front left where shaker is mounted and a brown plug toward the back of the cab. I'll check mine when I get home.

#9327 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

There are two connections, a molex plug in the front left where shaker is mounted and a brown plug toward the back of the cab. I'll check mine when I get home.

I think it's the brown connector I'm missing then....going to hunt!

#9328 7 years ago

As others have already pointed out, there should be a loose connector just laying on the bottom of the cab towards the back of the machine.

#9329 7 years ago

There is a 2 pin molex up front with red wires on it, there should be a brown or grey wire connector toward the back. It's there, search, it can be buried.

#9330 7 years ago

Can you adjust how loud the shaker rocks..or is it just one setting?!

#9331 7 years ago

I haven't had to buy a shaker in quite a while. This one is used, so now I'm wondering if I'm missing a wire?

The one from the motor itself is there. Should it have come with another one to plug into the board and then run towards the back of the cab and plug into a molex? Or, should there be a wire from the pin itself that should reach the shaker board?

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

#9332 7 years ago

The connector attached to the shaker goes into the board that came with your shaker. there is another connector that should have come with the shaker, it contains a red wire and a brown wire. The red wire runs to the 2 pin connector in the front left of the cabinet and the brown wired connector runs to the back of the cabinet. Sounds like you are missing that second connector. Maybe post a pic of what you have.

#9333 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The connector attached to the shaker goes into the board that came with your shaker. there is another connector that should have come with the shaker, it contains a red wire and a brown wire. The red wire runs to the 2 pin connector in the front left of the cabinet and the brown wired connector runs to the back of the cabinet. Sounds like you are missing that second connector. Maybe post a pic of what you have.

Mystery solved....I did not receive that wire!

#9334 7 years ago

I actually installed a shaker motor today from pinballlife. It took me longer to install it then to wire it up. Brown wire up near the head laying in the bottom of the cab already and everything else was there. I love the fact all the holes were pre-drilled for the PCB and for the shaker motor already. I think it was the fastest mod I ever installed.

31838923443_46c696ef0b_o (resized).jpg31838923443_46c696ef0b_o (resized).jpg

32271938670_ad6259f21e_k (resized).jpg32271938670_ad6259f21e_k (resized).jpg

32271939260_8f642b4c96_k (resized).jpg32271939260_8f642b4c96_k (resized).jpg

#9335 7 years ago

Is this magnet core better than the one that ships with met? Would it still get banged up the same and look bad after 50 plays?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

#9336 7 years ago

Is this magnet core better than the one that ships with met? Would it still get banged up the same and look bad after 50 plays?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

Same core, it will get banged up the same which is normal and to be expected.

#9337 7 years ago

Joining club this weekend with a Refinery Pro. Looking forward to playing for sure.

#9338 7 years ago

Sick! My Refinery Pro got into the shop last week, got an email today that all the metal parts were sent in for powder coating. Bout 3-4 more weeks until I'm officially in the club. The wait is killing me ( ._.) I've watched KME's EOTL video like 10 times.

Post pictures when it arrives! It helps with the waiting haha

#9339 7 years ago

Congrats to all the new owners. Pretty cool Stern is still making them. I bought mine last summer thinking it was one of the last.

#9340 7 years ago

I am getting the one local to me. He is a buddy of mine and we had been discussing his pin before he ever put it on Pinside. He has another pin lined up to buy next week and he has a willing buyer with cash who he knows and I've given him first buy-back rights in future so this is certainly a win-win situation!

#9341 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

I actually installed a shaker motor today from pinballlife. It took me longer to install it then to wire it up. Brown wire up near the head laying in the bottom of the cab already and everything else was there. I love the fact all the holes were pre-drilled for the PCB and for the shaker motor already. I think it was the fastest mod I ever installed.

Since mine is a new build.....I'm wondering if they're doing something different now. Because I was able to find a wire that is tagged to plug into J1, but it's only a two pin connector. I'll take a pic and post later on.

#9342 7 years ago

Last sparky airball protector plastic went out today.

Thanks for all that ordered.

Right now im completely out of stock.

PM me if you are interested and ill put you on a list. If i get enough interest ill make another batch.

$6 paypal shipped to your USPS address.
Sorry i cant support international orders.

Thanks again

20170108_195131 (resized).jpg20170108_195131 (resized).jpg

#9344 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Since mine is a new build.....I'm wondering if they're doing something different now. Because I was able to find a wire that is tagged to plug into J1, but it's only a two pin connector. I'll take a pic and post later on.

If I can sneak over to my arcade today I'll shoot a little video or something to show you how I did it. Mine was born 9/2013

#9345 7 years ago

yes, it will work in just about any pinball machines that have magnetics to keep the balls from "sticking" in the trough

#9346 7 years ago

The two pin connector is not new, its in my ironman too, as well as twd. Metallica does not look any different

#9347 7 years ago

I really want a new code release for MET now... One that adds a light effect for when the spinner (LE/PREM) is ready for a higher scoring shot (added in last code release). Right now there's no way to easily know when that is. Great code really has made this game sell well!

Rob

#9348 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yes, it will work in just about any pinball machines that have magnetics to keep the balls from "sticking" in the trough

I don't know the difference between WPC troughs and Stern troughs but have you confirmed this will fit a Stern?

#9349 7 years ago

I'm in the club! Ordered my Metallica Monsters Premium from JJ at Game Exchange today! It's being delivered tomorrow, can't wait!

#9350 7 years ago

Clicked on the link to put a few of these in my cart.
While I was on the page I noticed they sold Shaker Motors.
Clicked it to see how the price compare to the typical $79 to $100 price for these.
Almost fell over when the $250 price came up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 187 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/187 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.