IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 433.
#9051 7 years ago

Anyone bought or sold a HUO premium lately? I may be getting rid of my MET monsters and wanted to know the market

#9052 7 years ago

so my right flipper works perfectly fine - super strong but if I hold the button in, I can hear a sound which must be the EOS being used (or something to keep the flipper powered). Not so much on my left. Normal?

#9053 7 years ago

What does everyone think of the older METs with the wood backbox. Any differences besides LED lights and backbox?

#9054 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

What does everyone think of the older METs with the wood backbox. Any differences besides LED lights and backbox?

I feel like they're better made. PF for sure as the new ones are ghosting, chipping, not as good quality (at least recently - prob fixed by now though).

#9055 7 years ago

I prefer the newer metal backbox version. Mine came off the line late Nov. 2016 and no ghosting issues at all.

#9056 7 years ago

I like 'em. Solid as a rock. The older ones don't have the termination resistor boards on the lamp matrix headers so make sure you put good quality non ghosting leds in if you get one. They also have the older trough opto connector which was first upgraded on IMVE. This means you will get the odd ball-end-midball issue which requires a quick reseat of that connector.

#9057 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I like 'em. Solid as a rock. The older ones don't have the termination resistor boards on the lamp matrix headers so make sure you put good quality non ghosting leds in if you get one. They also have the older opto trough connector which was first upgraded on IMVE. This means you will get the odd ball-end-midball issue which requires a quick reseat of that connector.

The one I'm going to go look at the guy bought a kit and installed them. What's the worst case? The lights would flicker?

#9058 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so my right flipper works perfectly fine - super strong but if I hold the button in, I can hear a sound which must be the EOS being used (or something to keep the flipper powered). Not so much on my left. Normal?

Yup..s'all good man!

#9059 7 years ago

The one I'm going to go look at the guy bought a kit and installed them. What's the worst case? The lights would flicker?

Look for how smooth the insert leds fade up and down, if it looks jerky not a smooth fade in and out that's bad. The OCD board will take care of that problem.

#9060 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Look for how smooth the insert leds fade up and down, if it looks jerky not a smooth fade in and out that's bad. The OCD board will take care of that problem.

So I take it that board could be added on?

#9061 7 years ago

Yes I "think" so. Has anyone done that?

#9062 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes I "think" so. Has anyone done that?

Yes. It's just plugs into the MPU and then the harness connector plugs into this board. No reason it couldn't be added to a non-LED Pro, however most people just use non-ghosting LEDs which would not require use of such board.

#9063 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes. It's just plugs into the MPU and then the harness connector plugs into this board. No reason it couldn't be added to a non-LED Pro, however most people just use non-ghosting LEDs which would not require use of such board.

The MET I'm looking at buying has a complete kit from cointaker. Currently trying to decide between a 1 owner HUO STTNG and a 1 owner HUO MET Pro with the wooden backbox.

#9064 7 years ago

The MET I'm looking at buying has a complete kit from cointaker. Currently trying to decide between a 1 owner HUO STTNG and a 1 owner HUO MET Pro with the wooden backbox.

Oh holy hell. I've owned both and you will enjoy Metallica way longer. STTNG is unique and a decent game, but Met is in another league.

#9065 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Oh holy hell. I've owned both and you will enjoy Metallica way longer. STTNG is unique and a decent game, but Met is in another league.

Perhaps, but finding a really nice STTNG is a lot harder than finding a nice MET these days. I'd say you might want to grab that STTNG now, you can always grab a MET later if you want.

#9066 7 years ago

My Met Pro is arriving at the end of the month and I've been planning and buying mods like crazy since I placed the order. One of the first things I got was TimeBandits GI theatre so I'm ordering some LED's for this and it has crossed my mind that if I paint Sparky with black light reactive acrylic paints I could put UV flashers in the spotlight flashers it will take it to the next level.

I've seen WJxxxx's post with his and was wondering if anyone else has done this incorporating all of Sparky? Or if anyone had any ideas on a cool sparky theme that would work with the UV lights well? My original theme ideas were Alex (Clockwork Orange), The Crow, Misfits, King Diamond. Not too sure if they'd fit with UV paint though.

#9067 7 years ago

Hello!

I've been interested in buying Metallica for a while now but have been hesitant to do so due to the ghosting, clearcoat and general playfield issues I've been reading about for so long. Are the new Metallicas coming with a good playfield now? Should I take the plunge and buy one? I know Stern offers to swap your PF but I honestly don't want to go through all that hassle, specially on a brand new machine.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!

#9068 7 years ago

I received a pro drop shipped from stern about a month ago. Other than a loose snake switch, I have no issues to report.

#9069 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I received a pro drop shipped from stern about a month ago. Other than a loose snake switch, I have no issues to report.

Glad to hear that

#9070 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

So several peeps have asked about sparky protectors over the last few months. I didnt have my scroll saw so was unable to make more. But I have my scroll saw back now. So putting feelers out. If i can get 10 or so peeps that want one, ill make a new batch of protectors for 6 shipped to ya USPS.

I'd take one as well please.

#9071 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

So several peeps have asked about sparky protectors over the last few months. I didnt have my scroll saw so was unable to make more. But I have my scroll saw back now. So putting feelers out. If i can get 10 or so peeps that want one, ill make a new batch of protectors for 6 shipped to ya USPS.

I'll take one!

#9072 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hello!
I've been interested in buying Metallica for a while now but have been hesitant to do so due to the ghosting, clearcoat and general playfield issues I've been reading about for so long. Are the new Metallicas coming with a good playfield now? Should I take the plunge and buy one? I know Stern offers to swap your PF but I honestly don't want to go through all that hassle, specially on a brand new machine.

I don't think METs were ever really a problem, but even if they were, Stern seems to have finally gotten a handle on it. I have a GB premium that was built in October, and there is no ghosting at all.

#9073 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think METs were ever really a problem, but even if they were, Stern seems to have finally gotten a handle on it. I have a GB premium that was built in October, and there is no ghosting at all.

When you say they "finally gotten a handle on it" You mean the playfields are being made by a different company? What has Stern changed or improved on with Metallicas lately?

#9074 7 years ago

Anyone?

#9075 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hello!

Bought my nib pro in May 2015 - zero issues. Friend just received his nib pro this week - again zero issues.
I'd highly recommend that you take the plunge and buy one!

#9076 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I like 'em. Solid as a rock. The older ones don't have the termination resistor boards on the lamp matrix headers so make sure you put good quality non ghosting leds in if you get one. They also have the older trough opto connector which was first upgraded on IMVE. This means you will get the odd ball-end-midball issue which requires a quick reseat of that connector.

Is this when in mid game, it just quits and drains? Is the connector you are talking about the white one that is in front of the trough? I reseat that and it works, but sometimes only for a minute. I dont understand why its coming off so easily.

#9077 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is this when in mid game, it just quits and drains? Is the connector you are talking about the white one that is in front of the trough? I reseat that and it works, but sometimes only for a minute. I dont understand why its coming off so easily.

Yep, that's the one. Got a shaker?

I think Centerflank came up with the idea of putting a zip tie vertically around it. Or if you want to do it properly recrimp it with a trifurcon connector.

#9078 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yep, that's the one. Got a shaker?
I think Centerflank came up with the idea of putting a zip tie vertically around it. Or if you want to do it properly recrimp it with a trifurcon connector.

Yep I have a shaker. Ill check out the zip tie deal thanks!

#9079 7 years ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

Bought my nib pro in May 2015 - zero issues. Friend just received his nib pro this week - again zero issues.
I'd highly recommend that you take the plunge and buy one!

Thank you! This really helps a lot!

#9080 7 years ago

What are the must have mods for Metallica? Specially for protection like cliffy's and plastic shields...

Also, what about this magnet mushrooming issue I've read about? Is that still going on with new MET's? Thanks!

#9081 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What are the must have mods for Metallica? Specially for protection like cliffy's and plastic shields...
Also, what about this magnet mushrooming issue I've read about? Is that still going on with new MET's? Thanks!

Just buy the damn game dude....you are going to anywayStop nitpicking about about issues that some have had....they will arise. It happens. Mushrooming magnets are from improper leveled magnets with the PF.....simple fix. LEVEL IT!!!

#9082 7 years ago

If you play the game, you are going to get some wear and tear. Don't worry about it. These things are designed for commercial use after all.

#9083 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Like a hum? That's normal. I remember someone posting how to fix it, though. I think it's a vibration issue fixed by securing the coil better - or something like that. I say just turn up the volume a little.

#9084 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If you play the game, you are going to get some wear and tear. Don't worry about it. These things are designed for commercial use after all.

I don't mind that at all. I just don't want to buy a NIB machine that's going to start ghosting from the get go. That's all. First time buying a Stern pin for me...

#9085 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I don't mind that at all. I just don't want to buy a NIB machine that's going to start ghosting from the get go. That's all. First time buying a Stern pin for me...

Nothing is guaranteed at this point, however I have seen very few reports of Met playfields ghosting in comparison to GB and SMVE. My Met with a late Nov. 2016 build date has not shown any ghosting but I can only speak for this one machine.

#9086 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Nothing is guaranteed at this point, however I have seen very few reports of Met playfields ghosting in comparison to GB and SMVE. My Met with a late Nov. 2016 build date has not shown any ghosting but I can only speak for this one machine.

Thank you very much!

#9087 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Why not find a nice used one then that you can inspect prior to purchasing? That would be my recommendation if you don't feel like playing the Stern NIB lottery.

#9088 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Why not find a nice used one then that you can inspect prior to purchasing? That would be my recommendation if you don't feel like playing the Stern NIB lottery.

I just wanted a NIB pin but you are correct, HUO does sound like a good idea

#9089 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Quoted from jawjaw:

Like a hum? That's normal. I remember someone posting how to fix it, though. I think it's a vibration issue fixed by securing the coil better - or something like that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tq&tu=j_m_#post-3491335

#9090 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yep I have a shaker. Ill check out the zip tie deal thanks!

Dont forget there is a connector on the backside of the trough too. Both can wiggle loose.

#9091 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If they have a fix, I'd expect to hear from them. Still waiting to Stern to take action on a ghosting and clear coat chipping of a MET Pro purchased in August.

#9092 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

If they have a fix, I'd expect to hear from them. Still waiting to Stern to take action on a ghosting and clear coat chipping of a MET Pro purchased in August.

I got mine around same time. No chipping on mine but some ghosting on two inserts. One is real noticeable and the other not so much. Kinda sucks but hard to think of a better example of first world problems.

#9093 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Dont forget there is a connector on the backside of the trough too. Both can wiggle loose.

Oh OK thank you!!

#9094 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

The magnet is relatively soft. With enough plays over time, the pinballs dent the magnet. If left too long, the magnet will spread. Simple fix is to buy a new core (for $12) and swap it out. Pinball life carries them.

#9095 7 years ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

Simple fix is to buy a new core (for $12) and swap it out.

Orrrr if your buddy owns a machine shop.

#9096 7 years ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

The magnet is relatively soft. With enough plays over time, the pinballs dent the magnet. If left too long, the magnet will spread. Simple fix is to buy a new core (for $12) and swap it out. Pinball life carries them.

Good to hear that. Thanks!

#9097 7 years ago

Did the pop bumper LED mod in the inserts today. Came out nice and now the inserts look full again!

#9098 7 years ago

Shameless self promotion.
I have a small number of skulls left and loosing access to the shop I use - so what I have on hand will be the only ones produced for a while.
Tied it to the coffin flasher so it lights when the coffin flasher lights in the middle of the playfield or any of the coffin lock lights.
Also have cheap snake fangs available.

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “Silver Skull with lit eyes on coffin, $55 (USPS First Class included in price, continental USA). The mod is designed to sit above the captive ball coffin lock (behind the newton b...”
2017-01-05
Tucson, AZ
55 (Firm)
Archived after: 49 days
Viewed: 581 times
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “For $6 bucks (domestic shipping included) I'll send you everything you need to add them to your snake. There's nothing magic about this. You can readily find the components yourse...”
2017-01-20
Tucson, AZ
6 (Firm)
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 373 times

#9099 7 years ago

Got a question. I bought my Met Pro in August 2016. It has about 2500 plays...yes I love to play it. I've noticed some damage in the shooter lane from the ball being kicked out. Not on the rail side, but the opposite side in the lane itself. Can I do anything about this. I've never seen a cliffhanger/etc. for this area.

IMG_0095 (resized).JPGIMG_0095 (resized).JPG

#9100 7 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Got a question. I bought my Met Pro in August 2016. It has about 2500 plays...yes I love to play it. I've noticed some damage in the shooter lane from the ball being kicked out. Not on the rail side, but the opposite side in the lane itself. Can I do anything about this. I've never seen a cliffhanger/etc. for this area.

Cliffy sells a shooter lane set

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/182 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.