C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 434.
#9001 7 years ago

I felt the instructions were horrible! Not much help at all.. But I did end up getting the dmd to work. I dunno why it worked but I put the older update (colordmd.rom) AND the newer one (chroma.rom) on the memory stick then updated the dmd.. it works now ! So purdy!

#9002 7 years ago

I've had better luck over the years with the smaller USB drives.

#9003 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

I did flip dip switch 8. Still nothing. When I insert the USB stick, a green light lights up. This leads me to believe that the machine recognizes that there is indeed a USB in there. However, it never advances from this screen.
Side note: I can also not back up data to a USB. No USB functionality seems to work. I have tried multiple sticks as well.

As others noted, enthusiasts need to use small storage USB drives.
I will explain why, although many have tried unsuccessfully already.
The SAM system has problems recognizing some USB memory devices larger than 8 GB.
It also has problems with devices that are USB 3.0 compatible.
It is an "old school" system.

Also, check carefully that when the device is inserted it has a full snug forward lock position.
Even though it gives a green light, the drive can be slight off to the side or not make full contact.
It will recognize the drive, but not read the data.
I call this the "wiggle factor".
This is caused by the surface contacts, or cheap port construction.

These notes are applicable to nearly all Stern games, and other related pinball gadgetry as well such as ColorDMDs.
I cannot speak for other manufacturers of games in the past 5 years.

#9004 7 years ago

a quick question to everyone that's recently purchased a metallica (both pro and premium)

are your wire form ball guides (the ones staked on the play field) chromed or powder coated?

#9005 7 years ago

He's the black knight...he has the power.. give him your money..muahahaha...(sorry,I had to)

#9006 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

a quick question to everyone that's recently purchased a metallica (both pro and premium)
are your wire form ball guides (the ones staked on the play field) chromed or powder coated?

Mine are definitely not chromed. They have more of a matte look to them.

#9007 7 years ago

Mine look more matte finish than chrome as well..definitely not powder coated tho.

#9008 7 years ago

the reason I'm asking is that I've got an older wood backbox monster premium and the originals were that matte gray but after only 350+ plays there are a ton of chipped areas on them

#9009 7 years ago

My wireform ramps are black probably powder coated. I have a 2013 wooden back box machine.

#9010 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

My wireform ramps are black probably powder coated. I have a 2013 wooden back box machine.

not the habitrails, but the lane dividers and other on playfield wire form ball guides

#9011 7 years ago

Ramps came black but I power coated mine so the left one looks metallic and the right one looks like a continuation of the snake. I prefer this to the stock look.

Metal left ramp sm.jpgMetal left ramp sm.jpg

Snake right ramp sm.jpgSnake right ramp sm.jpg

#9012 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

A follow up: I tried increasing the tension of the spring but that didn't work at all. The plate would just flex the spring but Sparky would not shake. The spring needs slack otherwise Sparky is always pulled back against the chair. I tried bending the metal stop of the swing arm toward the magnet. It seemed like I was just making things worse but somehow I found the sweet spot where it all worked. I'm not sure why mine is so sensitive.

Thought Id share this side by side comparison image of my fried sparky mech and the new one that stern sent me back in 2013. I'm pretty sure that i had the dreaded "sparky locked on cause I left the coin door open during a power cycle of the machine issue"... anyways it shows that on my old one the little metal "finger" was totally bent backwards (toward the chair) vs the stock replacement one on the right that is bent slightly back toward the coil (or at least flat).

I know you got yours working already, but I thought this might be interesting for comparison.

20130906_220131 (resized).jpg20130906_220131 (resized).jpg

#9013 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thought Id share this side by side comparison image of my fried sparky mech and the new one that stern sent me back in 2013. I'm pretty sure that i had the dreaded "sparky locked on cause I left the coin door open during a power cycle of the machine issue"... anyways it shows that on my old one the little metal "finger" was totally bent backwards (toward the chair) vs the stock replacement one on the right that is bent slightly back toward the coil (or at least flat).
I know you got yours working already, but I thought this might be interesting for comparison.

Mine did look like the one on the left. That finger tab was pushed back against the chair. I bent it forward but worried the banging on it will just push it back over time.

#9014 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I went thru hours of frustration trying to install my last colordmd. I was so set in my ways, I kept naming the file " colordmd.rom" , as I always have. It kept saying something like " no USB recognized", I tried several memory sticks and eventually learned that the newer chroma boards require something else at the end instead of "colordmd.rom". It has to be named Chroma.rom.First try after I changed it and it worked.

I did the same thing - so annoying. Should have been made more clear on the website.

#9015 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

not the habitrails, but the lane dividers and other on playfield wire form ball guides

My return lane dividers are brushed grey finish flat metal stock. In other places like along the shooter lane is typical grey bent wire.

20161231_174252 (resized).jpg20161231_174252 (resized).jpg

20161231_174309 (resized).jpg20161231_174309 (resized).jpg

#9016 7 years ago

thanks to everyone that replied on the wire ball guides

my next problem is with the snake kick out on my premium, but I believe that I've finally figured out this issue

for those of you that have had to completely dismantle the snake assembly to insert the teeth from mezelmods.com, and are now experiencing ejected balls that seemingly kick out where ever they damn well want to instead of to the left flipper, this is what I've found:

not only is it a rather complicated assembly, it's a pain in the @ss to re-assemble and position the parts correctly. incorrect assembly can be the cause of the balls being ejected in a somewhat random fashion (or sdtm) because the plunger assy [part no. 515-7309-00] is not striking the ball dead-center when the coil is fired

snake assysnake assy

the 2 longer metal screws that join and line up the 2 assemblies together (as indicated with the green highlighted areas). those plates need to line-up *perfectly* before you tighten all six screws; the 2 metal screws joining the assemblies as well as the 4 wood screws that mount both assemblies to the playfield (indicated by the purple areas)

if the 2 assemblies are not lined up correctly, the nylon end of the plunger assembly will not strike the center of the ball as it sits in the snake's mouth, resting in the small, circular cut-out of the snake upper jaw weldment [part no. 515-9669-00] (as shown highlighted in blue in the above [inset] image)

it's ashamed that stern did not create these parts to automatically line up when they are assembled (either in the form of "ears" on the snake upper jaw weldment or the snake coil bracket assy [part no. 515-9671-00] or some sort of stiff gasket to line them up, because it's very difficult to see where the top of the plunger assembly is sitting in relationship to that circular cut-off of the weldment where the ball rests

I'm going to purchase an endoscope from amazon.com (like one in the link below) that has a 45° mirror to correctly align the assemblies and hopefully correct my issue

https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-OE5505-01/dp/B0166UCZ8W/ref=sr_1_8

edit:
since the endoscope allows you to take photos and video, I'll try and take some of both and post here once I receive it on thursday (2017.jan.05)

#9017 7 years ago

All you need to do to Install the fangs is remove the screw in the back of the snake and remove the one on his head. Then, using a flat head screwdriver, insert it between the metal guide and the front of the snake, pry it up just enough to slide the fangs in being careful not to break anything. It's not ideal, but it works. I was contemplating taking the snake assembly apart, but it looked like a huge PIA. I literally just did this two weeks ago.

#9018 7 years ago

Lermods:
I wish that I had done a little more research when I first opened my MET monster premium and installed the teeth

on mine, there wasn't any gap whatsoever that I could create between the upper snake jaw weldment and the molded head to fit the 3D printed teeth. I knew about the screw in the back of the head, but didn't have an offset screwdriver (at the time) to loosen it or the one inside on the roof of the snake's mouth) so I did the next best thing (which proved to be a huge pain in the @ss

everything was working perfectly for me for about 300 games, but I must have not tightened everything securely because it slowly started spitting the balls out in a more random fashion. it wasn't until this weekend, when I finally had time to tear it all down again that I finally figured it out

ps
for those adding tim's 3D printed teeth, a set of these comes in handy:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-offset-screwdriver-set/p-00941318000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6#

I could have simply disassembled the molded snake head and inserted the teeth. although I will say that even with them, re-assembly is a pain in the @ss if you remove the screws altogether (so try to just loosen them and not remove them completely.

if you do, the 2 nylon spacers may fall out and getting them to stay in place will be enough to drive you bonkers. add on top of that, that not having a lot of space to rotate the screwdriver, it will seem to take an eternity to re-tighten everything back up

#9019 7 years ago

Yeah, I forgot to mention, there is a screw on the inside roof of the snake's mouth, you can get to it with a wratchet and a Philipps head bit, not easy, but you only need to loosen it a couple of turns to give more leeway.

#9020 7 years ago

I've got a strange problem with my MET PREM - hopefully someone can help. At default setings, my GI will start to strobe. I mean, like a seriously strong strobe light. It got so bad, it was unplayable. Thankfully, there is a GI adjustment. When I dim the GI slightly, the strobing completely stops.

...any ideas what could be causing this?

#9021 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I've got a strange problem with my MET PREM - hopefully someone can help. At default setings, my GI will start to strobe. I mean, like a seriously strong strobe light. It got so bad, it was unplayable. Thankfully, there is a GI adjustment. When I dim the GI slightly, the strobing completely stops.
...any ideas what could be causing this?

The data cable. Stern will replace it. You can try reseating it first, but a few have needed to be replaced. The way the GI works, it has both power and data. If you pull the data cable, for example, the GI remains in its last updated state, but does not go out.

#9022 7 years ago

The GI on a Pro is not dimmable, right?

#9024 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The data cable. Stern will replace it. You can try reseating it first, but a few have needed to be replaced. The way the GI works, it has both power and data. If you pull the data cable, for example, the GI remains in its last updated state, but does not go out.

check to see if the data cable is being pinched near the top of the playfield underside or if it's being bound up by the zip ties. phoebe's was getting [chewed up] by the up-down post on the orbit and mine was just a bit too taunt going into the pc board near the center of the playfield.

phoebe had to request a new data cable. my issue was that I was losing all of the GI and the spider inserts, which was easily rectified by pulling some of the extra slack in the cable towards the connector so that it wasn't getting pulled on when the playfield was lifted/lowered

#9025 7 years ago

Thank you guys for the replies! I'll certainly check the data cable.

#9026 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

All you need to do to Install the fangs is remove the screw in the back of the snake and remove the one on his head. Then, using a flat head screwdriver, insert it between the metal guide and the front of the snake, pry it up just enough to slide the fangs in being careful not to break anything. It's not ideal, but it works. I was contemplating taking the snake assembly apart, but it looked like a huge PIA. I literally just did this two weeks ago.

Or go the cheap and easy route. No screw removal / disassembly required.
Use some lego horns and earthquake putty or Sugru to attach them.
Approaching 700 plays and still attached.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-mod-snake-fangs-teeth-cheap-easy-1#post-3422851

#9027 7 years ago

Questions for those that have Mezel Mods cemetery arch and/or hammer LED. Is it possible to swap the red for blue in the arch? If I buy the blue hammer LED is it interchangeable with the LED in the arch?

I was thinking that since the game goes blue for grave marker multiball it would look better if the cemetery arch matched, maybe red looks better since it contrasts? I dunno, maybe I'm better off without either, but gotta get the fangs.

#9028 7 years ago

as promised, here's a photo of the inside of the snake jaw using an endoscope showing just how far the vuk plunger assy was off-center (and the cause of all my issues)

MET snake (endoscope view)MET snake (endoscope view)

this was mainly caused by improper assembly when the machine was built. I ended up removing the entire snake assy (again), and then carefully re-positioning both weldments to re-center the plunger

I ended up having to leave out one screw out completely to get the plunger centered as the factory drilled hole was off by more than 1.5mm. this small amount was enough shift the position of the lower weldment and the vuk plunger as seen in the image above

#9029 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

as promised, here's a photo of the inside of the snake jaw using an endoscope showing just how far the vuk plunger assy was off-center (and the cause of all my issues)

this was mainly caused by improper assembly when the machine was built. I ended up removing the entire snake assy (again), and then carefully re-positioning both weldments to re-center the plunger
I ended up having to leave out one screw out completely to get the plunger centered as the factory drilled hole was off by more than 1.5mm. this small amount was enough shift the position of the lower weldment and the vuk plunger as seen in the image above

Wow that was a pretty big flaw. Good work.

#9030 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Thank you guys for the replies! I'll certainly check the data cable.

Where exactly is the data cable everyone is speaking of?

#9031 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Where exactly is the data cable everyone is speaking of?

it's the one that looks like an eithernet cable (gray insulated cable with a 6-pin modular phone type connector on either end) that runs from the [right side] of the cpu board down into the cabinet (zipped tied with the bundles running along the right side of the underside of the cabinet) to one of the opto boards located near the center of the playfield

I don't have access to my machine right now to take a photo

#9032 7 years ago

Added a lighted coffin to the blank area above the mystery scoop. Tied it to the coffin flasher so it lights when the coffin flasher lights in the middle of the playfield. PM me if interested.

metallica-pinball-illuminated-coffin-mod-1 (resized).JPGmetallica-pinball-illuminated-coffin-mod-1 (resized).JPG
metallica-pinball-illuminated-coffin-mod-2 (resized).JPGmetallica-pinball-illuminated-coffin-mod-2 (resized).JPG

#9033 7 years ago

I like the way you tied it into the coffin flasher, but that little skeleton is creepy looking

#9034 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I like the way you tied it into the coffin flasher, but that little skeleton is creepy looking

I like him

#9035 7 years ago

this is a fun video - only pinball related thing is Metallica but alot of fun. sorry if already posted elsewhere, enjoy

#9036 7 years ago

So several peeps have asked about sparky protectors over the last few months. I didnt have my scroll saw so was unable to make more. But I have my scroll saw back now. So putting feelers out. If i can get 10 or so peeps that want one, ill make a new batch of protectors for 6 shipped to ya USPS.

#9037 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

So several peeps have asked about sparky protectors over the last few months. I didnt have my scroll saw so was unable to make more. But I have my scroll saw back now. So putting feelers out. If i can get 10 or so peeps that want one, ill make a new batch of protectors for 6 shipped to ya USPS.

I'd be interested, what do they look like?

#9038 7 years ago

Working on a magnet speaker panel for Metallica.

IMG_8156 (resized).JPGIMG_8156 (resized).JPG

#9039 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'd be interested, what do they look like?

Heres a pic of the stock plastic and then a pic of my machine with the wider protector.

I can only do clear plastic no etching or colors.

20170108_195113 (resized).jpg20170108_195113 (resized).jpg

20170108_195131 (resized).jpg20170108_195131 (resized).jpg

#9040 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Heres a pic of the stock plastic and then a pic of my machine with the wider protector.
I can only do clear plastic no etching or colors.

Nice, count me in.

#9041 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Working on a magnet speaker panel for Metallica.

From that picture it really does look like a piece of audio rack equipment in your bb. Now if you could rig a few small leds by some of the dials that would look like you had a working 1/4 stack back there. It really lights up nicely with the reflected pf light. I got a wood box Met Pro... dang.

#9042 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

From that picture it really does look like a piece of audio rack equipment in your bb. Now if you could rig a few small leds by some of the dials that would look like you had a working 1/4 stack back there. It really lights up nicely with the reflected pf light. I got a wood box Met Pro... dang.

Ha! Somehow I knew you would say it needs some LEDs somewhere! I'm working on something for wood speaker panels.
I think it goes great with the game.

#9043 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Put me in for one.

#9044 7 years ago

Does anyone have the shot card/poster you get with one new for sale?

#9045 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Ha! Somehow I knew you would say it needs some LEDs somewhere! I'm working on something for wood speaker panels.
I think it goes great with the game.

Hey I'm just tryin to be helpful.

Interested to see what you come up with. Just make sure you design it with thought in mind about what it would look like with a Color DMD in it.

Jeeze I really like that one you just made.

#9046 7 years ago

I like that panel, ninja. It would be better if you made the top part with the dials shorter in height. I think it would look better with a gap between the display and speakers.

#9047 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Does anyone have the shot card/poster you get with one new for sale?

They are not included

#9048 7 years ago

I'd be up for a Sparky protector.

#9049 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

PM sent

#9050 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Put me down for 1 please.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 149.00
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181?hl=koos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.