C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 434.
#8951 7 years ago

In relation to MET code. I would be on the side that it was done but at 8 mins on this video it's said otherwise. Curious to know what else they would add.

#8952 7 years ago

Modified my backbox to remove the fluorescent tube and replaced it with led strips. The center area has rgb color changing and fading effects. sides and bottom are blue, top is orange for fire area and green for metallica lettering, those are lit all the time. Really brightens and evens out the backbox lighting, particularly the outside edges.

#8953 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Modified my backbox to remove the fluorescent tube and replaced it with led strips. The center area has rgb color changing and fading effects. sides and bottom are blue, top is orange for fire area and green for metallica lettering, those are lit all the time. Really brightens and evens out the backbox lighting, particularly the outside edges.
» YouTube video

Looks nice! Where do you draw the power from?

Could you post pics with the translight out and where you plug it in?

#8954 7 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Looks nice! Where do you draw the power from?
Could you post pics with the translight out and where you plug it in?

Yep, no problem. Power is pulled from the auxillary plug in the front of the cabinet. I have it hooked up two different ways, but off the same controller. One set is on all the time, other set has fading effects. It's a little complicated. There's a lot of soldering involved and in very small spaces.

The effects are very significant. Look how bright the outside edges are. Compare to a stock game.

I'm willing to make these for anyone who wants one, it's plug and play. Takes several hours to make and get right. I can also tie them to flashers if requested. Can be done to any stern.

20161218_144707 (resized).jpg20161218_144707 (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20161218-174904 (resized).pngScreenshot_20161218-174904 (resized).png

#8955 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yep, no problem. Power is pulled from the auxillary plug in the front of the cabinet. I have it hooked up two different ways, but off the same controller. One set is on all the time, other set has fading effects. It's a little complicated. There's a lot of soldering involved and in very small spaces.
The effects are very significant. Look how bright the outside edges are. Compare to a stock game.
I'm willing to make these for anyone who wants one, it's plug and play. Takes several hours to make and get right. I can also tie them to flashers if requested. Can be done to any stern.

Wow, fantastic.

I would absolutely be interested in one for my SM. I got it in a trade, and there's some issue with the florescent tube. There were some hacks done, and I can't wrap my head around what they did. I was hoping to replace it with LED strips, and your setup blows away anything I'd be able to do on my own. I'd get better visual results and wouldn't have to troubleshoot the previous hacks.

Let me know what you think they'd cost, and thanks for offering up your service.

#8956 7 years ago

Could someone help me with my Sparky? Mine never seemed to shake much at the beginning of mb. On observation with the glass off, it rarely pulls the metal plate with the magnet on hits to Sparky and at start of mb. It does work correctly if I push back on the shoulder a bit. I don't see why, it just takes a little slack off the spring holding it to the metal plate that is grabbed by the magnet. Does that make sense?

#8957 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Could someone help me with my Sparky? Mine never seemed to shake much at the beginning of mb. On observation with the glass off, it rarely pulls the metal plate with the magnet on hits to Sparky and at start of mb. It does work correctly if I push back on the shoulder a bit. I don't see why, it just takes a little slack off the spring holding it to the metal plate that is grabbed by the magnet. Does that make sense?

Turn and retighten the coil spring so it oriented roughly 90 degrees from the bottom closer to the side of the chair.
This will increase the tension, and get him moving more violently.
If you really want to see him shake, use a slightly stiffer spring, but ensure it is the same size.

#8958 7 years ago

My Metallica has arrived safe and sound! Merry Christmas to me! This is what we work hard for. I am an official Metallica pro wooden backbox owner. What an awesome game! 600 plays on it since new. Looks like it's got most of the Cliffys' done. I guess the guy did LED's on this one. I had it set up played 2 games and installed the color DMD what a difference! I did one in my Monopoly and it was a huge difference but the Metallica color DMD really pops! I love it! I guess speakers and shaker motor will be first up for mods! Is there a color changing led flourcent tube for these? Be nice to just do something like a color changing tube for a quick and easy change. I know I want to get that out of there quick before it kills the translate and ribbon cables!

31026867303_c07054423a_o (resized).jpg31026867303_c07054423a_o (resized).jpg

30995858664_77e89f75c3_o (resized).jpg30995858664_77e89f75c3_o (resized).jpg

30995861974_f15e7e7975_o (resized).jpg30995861974_f15e7e7975_o (resized).jpg

31463731070_20573faeac_o (resized).jpg31463731070_20573faeac_o (resized).jpg

31689190492_38e4b0ffea_o (resized).jpg31689190492_38e4b0ffea_o (resized).jpg

31720203901_6619548e35_o (resized).jpg31720203901_6619548e35_o (resized).jpg

30995862104_e539bb7307_o (resized).jpg30995862104_e539bb7307_o (resized).jpg

31836430295_fd2a18b143_o (resized).jpg31836430295_fd2a18b143_o (resized).jpg

#8959 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

My Metallica has arrived safe and sound! Merry Christmas to me! This is what we work hard for. I am an official Metallica pro wooden backbox owner. What an awesome game! 600 plays on it since new. Looks like it's got most of the Cliffys' done. I guess the guy did LED's on this one. I had it set up played 2 games and installed the color DMD what a difference! I did one in my Monopoly and it was a huge difference but the Metallica color DMD really pops! I love it! I guess speakers and shaker motor will be first up for mods! Is there a color changing led flourcent tube for these? Be nice to just do something like a color changing tube for a quick and easy change. I know I want to get that out of there quick before it kills the translate and ribbon cables!

Here's my translite mod...

#8960 7 years ago

Sparky's head is turned to his right, should be staring at ya while you play. Nice game!

#8961 7 years ago

The stock fluorescent bulb will not kill the translite or ribbon cables.

#8962 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Sparky's head is turned to his right, should be staring at ya while you play. Nice game!

Thanks I'll fix him up!

#8963 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Here's my translite mod...
» YouTube video

Very nice now you just have to show me how you did it and where you got the parts!

#8964 7 years ago

Very nice now you just have to show me how you did it and where you got the parts!

You can get the parts on eBay, you need a 12v rgb strip, controller, remote and power supply, plus any individual color strips you want. Runs off the 12v plug in the game. The mod runs off two circuits, one to allow fading rgb (center area on met) and one so lights are always on. This requies either tapping off the controller or running a separate line and using a 12v splitter. The parts aren't expensive, rgb strip is about $12 and individual colors are about $10, foam poster board and some hardware, but it's very labor intensive and tedious. Takes 3-4 hours to make and there are at least 50 solder points. You need decent soldering skills as soldering wires to an rgb strip isn't that easy and if you screw it up, can take some time finding a short. The tube comes right out as do the brackets that hold it (1 screw)

We sell these on our website for modern non-spike games, but I'm happy to walk people through it if they want to do it themselves, just pm me.

http://lermods.com/p/custom-work

20161218_144707 (resized).jpg20161218_144707 (resized).jpg

#8965 7 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

IMG_9359 (resized).JPGIMG_9359 (resized).JPG

#8966 7 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Very nice. Get some magnet protectors and a sparky airball protector on there pronto!

#8967 7 years ago

I see we are related!

20161214_215019 (resized).jpg20161214_215019 (resized).jpg

#8968 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Very nice. Get some magnet protectors and a sparky airball protector on there pronto!

I think I have the Sparky plastic protector already? Here is a pic of my Sparky is that it on top of his feet? I have the Cliffy set just looks like I need the magnet protectors only. I'll have to see if I can just order those.

30995861974_37e7f67b98_k (resized).jpg30995861974_37e7f67b98_k (resized).jpg

#8969 7 years ago

Merry Xmas guys!

20161213_221504_014.jpg20161213_221504_014.jpg

#8970 7 years ago

My custom made sparky!

1482687545192-730871170.jpg1482687545192-730871170.jpg

#8971 7 years ago

I think I have the Sparky plastic protector already? Here is a pic of my Sparky is that it on top of his feet? I have the Cliffy set just looks like I need the magnet protectors only. I'll have to see if I can just order those.

Nope, the extended protector actually makes a big difference. I have a clear one, because I like it to look like he is just sitting there, but two posts beneath yours is a busy fluorescent one that almost looks like shackles around his ankles.

#8972 7 years ago

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what distributor you got your Met from. Who would you recommend? Is Met premium still available?

Lastly can u buy confident in the quality coming from stern right now?

Merry Christmas everyone

#8973 7 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what distributor you got your Met from. Who would you recommend? Is Met premium still available?
Lastly can u buy confident in the quality coming from stern right now?
Merry Christmas everyone

Your close to Cointaker so check them out.

#8974 7 years ago

MET premium/pro are still available new and will be as the license has been renewed.
If you were considering one in box, you have a week before prices go up in 2017.
I used JJ at game exchange of CO, others have reliable distributors as well.

#8975 7 years ago

+1 for JJ gexchange.
He has a thread on pinside and keeps his stock updated frequently.
I bought a SMVE earlier this year. It was in stock. Had it in hand cross country in a week.

#8976 7 years ago

+1 for JJ as well, in before the increase on Metallica pro. JJ is easy to deal with.

#8977 7 years ago

How much are they raising the prices on a met pro next year?!

#8978 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Nope, the extended protector actually makes a big difference. I have a clear one, because I like it to look like he is just sitting there, but two posts beneath yours is a busy fluorescent one that almost looks like shackles around his ankles.

Do you know who sells the extended protector? I saw a guy on here was making them but he don't have them anymore.

#8979 7 years ago

Do you know who sells the extended protector? I saw a guy on here was making them but he don't have them anymore.

Pinbits. I don't have it, but thinking about it.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_74&products_id=630&zenid=7303c06b0f747191d12df812953b44a7

#8980 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

How much are they raising the prices on a met pro next year?!

I'd suspect 300.. I think that's about what the last increase was... and the one before...

#8981 7 years ago

I wonder if it would be possible to mod a met to use newer style magnets.

#8982 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Turn and retighten the coil spring so it oriented roughly 90 degrees from the bottom closer to the side of the chair.
This will increase the tension, and get him moving more violently.
If you really want to see him shake, use a slightly stiffer spring, but ensure it is the same size.

A follow up: I tried increasing the tension of the spring but that didn't work at all. The plate would just flex the spring but Sparky would not shake. The spring needs slack otherwise Sparky is always pulled back against the chair. I tried bending the metal stop of the swing arm toward the magnet. It seemed like I was just making things worse but somehow I found the sweet spot where it all worked. I'm not sure why mine is so sensitive.

#8983 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

What do you mean?

#8984 7 years ago

Like walking dead or imve... I'm sure It can be done but the bigger question is: do you really wanna drill a hole into your pf that big?!

#8985 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

A follow up: I tried increasing the tension of the spring but that didn't work at all. The plate would just flex the spring but Sparky would not shake. The spring needs slack otherwise Sparky is always pulled back against the chair. I tried bending the metal stop of the swing arm toward the magnet. It seemed like I was just making things worse but somehow I found the sweet spot where it all worked. I'm not sure why mine is so sensitive.

Every game is a little different.
The Sparky coil is essentially a coin lockout coil that is used for a different purpose.
The "flap" or coil plate is part of the equation which you figured out.
It has to be far enough away from the coil to provide movement, but the spring rebound remains critical in order to get the body bouncing.
It is a two part process.
That is the reason if a stiffer spring is used, the plate has to be bent slightly away from the coil in order for movement to be maintained.

Good to see you found your game's perfect position.

#8986 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Magnet cores?
They are the same that have been used for nearly every game Stern has made since 2001.
They are nearly identical to DE ones, and those used by WMS games.
Sometimes the threading was slightly different, but that was about it.
The ring solenoid assemblies are also identical based on composition and have been since all the way back into the early 1980s.

I am just curious as well.

#8987 7 years ago

I think he's talkin about ones like these

IMG_3242 (resized).JPGIMG_3242 (resized).JPG

#8988 7 years ago

Just installed a color dmd and it flickers of the wrong colors every once in a while! What the heck?!? Besides that.. frikkin awesome!Haha.. but what should I do?!?!

#8989 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Just installed a color dmd and it flickers of the wrong colors every once in a while! What the heck?!? Besides that.. frikkin awesome!Haha.. but what should I do?!?!

What Met firmware version are you running and what ColorDMD firmware version are you running? You should be running the latest 1.7 code and the latest ColorDMD rom to match it and have no flickering.

#8990 7 years ago

I was on V1.6 and no issues with my color DMD just upgraded today to V1.7 and still good. Might be a loose connection or something. I did some blue LED's along the back board since I was playing it

31112251463_a724b7eb9c_o (resized).jpg31112251463_a724b7eb9c_o (resized).jpg

#8991 7 years ago

make sure that you're running a matched version of the game's software and the colordmd's firmware (eg. 1.70 and 1.70

there have been small changes (eg. fixes) to the way that colordmd colors the game and if the versions don't match, then it could potentially cause some weird artifacting like you've noticed

#8992 7 years ago

Reading about firmware 1.70 reminded me that I should update my Metallica code. I tried doing this but the machine does not seem to recognize that there is a USB stick inserted. The screen reads "INSERT USB MEMORY STICK". I re-formatted the stick to FAT-32 but still nothing. Has anybody ran into this? Any ideas?

#8993 7 years ago

I'm looking for a MOPLE in California. PM me if you have any leads, thx

#8994 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Reading about firmware 1.70 reminded me that I should update my Metallica code. I tried doing this but the machine does not seem to recognize that there is a USB stick inserted. The screen reads "INSERT USB MEMORY STICK". I re-formatted the stick to FAT-32 but still nothing. Has anybody ran into this? Any ideas?

did you flip switch no. 8 on the cpu / sound pc board?
SAM update switch (resized).jpgSAM update switch (resized).jpg

once you do that, the machine should recognize any flash drive in the usb port and menu instructions will step you through the process

if you need more help, JimBoSS made a youtube video on the steps to update the firmware in your machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-update-code-on-stern-sam-pinball-machine

#8995 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

did you flip switch no. 8 on the cpu / sound pc board?

once you do that, the machine should recognize any flash drive in the usb port and menu instructions will step you through the process
if you need more help, JimBoSS made a youtube video on the steps to update the firmware in your machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-update-code-on-stern-sam-pinball-machine

I did flip dip switch 8. Still nothing. When I insert the USB stick, a green light lights up. This leads me to believe that the machine recognizes that there is indeed a USB in there. However, it never advances from this screen.

Side note: I can also not back up data to a USB. No USB functionality seems to work. I have tried multiple sticks as well.

#8996 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

I did flip dip switch 8. Still nothing. When I insert the USB stick, a green light lights up. This leads me to believe that the machine recognizes that there is indeed a USB in there. However, it never advances from this screen.
Side note: I can also not back up data to a USB. No USB functionality seems to work. I have tried multiple sticks as well.

Easiest thing first. Try a different USB stick.

Make sure it's clear of everything but the file.

#8997 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

I went thru hours of frustration trying to install my last colordmd. I was so set in my ways, I kept naming the file " colordmd.rom" , as I always have. It kept saying something like " no USB recognized", I tried several memory sticks and eventually learned that the newer chroma boards require something else at the end instead of "colordmd.rom". It has to be named Chroma.rom.First try after I changed it and it worked.

#8998 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I went thru hours of frustration trying to install my last colordmd. I was so set in my ways, I kept naming the file " colordmd.rom" , as I always have. It kept saying something like " no USB recognized", I tried several memory sticks and eventually learned that the newer chroma boards require something else at the end instead of "colordmd.rom". It has to be named Chroma.rom.First try after I changed it and it worked.

I think he's updating the machine's code, not Colordmd.

Quoted from roddog:

Also, if you have tried different usb sticks, are they 8gb or smaller?

#8999 7 years ago

Thanks all. I hate it when the solution is something so obvious. I tried 3 different sticks and ran into the same failure. I asked my gf if she has a USB stick and hers worked fine on the first try. I inspected the different sticks and the only difference is the capacity. The one that worked was 8 GB and the ones that did not work are all 16 GB or greater. Anyways, as always, I appreciate all the help!

#9000 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Thanks all. I hate it when the solution is something so obvious. I tried 3 different sticks and ran into the same failure. I asked my gf if she has a USB stick and hers worked fine on the first try. I inspected the different sticks and the only difference is the capacity. The one that worked was 8 GB and the ones that did not work are all 16 GB or greater. Anyways, as always, I appreciate all the help!

Yep. I don't know if it officially says to use 8gb or smaller in the upload instructions, but that comes up a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 149.00
There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/180 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.