Topic Stats

• 16,884 posts
  • 949 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by WizWiggy
  • Topic is favorited by 359 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,858 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190921_133716 (resized).jpg
E337CB3C-9387-4BE2-A54B-13F42F8C2DA5 (resized).jpeg
507E6B91-27AA-4CDC-AFBB-4079B7BB71C7 (resized).jpeg
Plunger Plate & Shooter Knob Mod - Marshall (resized).jpg
Plunger Plate & Shooter Knob Model - Marshall (resized).jpg
shiny (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
E6242E9A-2132-4071-AE15-1264B836090B (resized).jpeg
DF782AB3-DEA5-4AC1-90E4-0E6B15419BF9 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1570754293555 (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (7) (resized).jpg
20191005_171001 (resized).jpg
IMG_2894 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_234519 (resized).jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190916203030373 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 16884 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 338.
#8551 3 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

... you have to make sure the level is square/perpendicular to the sides and/or parallel to the front of the playfield. Otherwise the level will be effected by the slope of the playfield.

I find you can often use the playfield art/inserts to aid in this. For example, in the photo above you can align the level with the edges of the feature inserts.

#8552 3 years ago

I put my level across the letters in Metallica because my level is to long to fit between the slings.

#8553 3 years ago

Can some help direct me or please send examples of Sparkys and the Hammer being special painted. LOOKING FOR SOME COOL IDEAS...and just trying to to give Matt @ Back Alley some ideas of what look i might like. I WONT COPY YOURS...JUST LIKE TO SEE SOME EXAMPLES....AND I KNOW SOME HAVE DONE OF THE HAMMER AS WELL

Thanks in advance

#8554 3 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Can some help direct me or please send examples of Sparkys and the Hammer being special painted. LOOKING FOR SOME COOL IDEAS...and just trying to to give Matt @ Back Alley some ideas of what look i might like. I WONT COPY YOURS...JUST LIKE TO SEE SOME EXAMPLES....AND I KNOW SOME HAVE DONE OF THE HAMMER AS WELL
Thanks in advance

Koop Customs:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/latest-koop-kustoms-sparky-1

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/koop-kustoms-latest-sparky

#8556 3 years ago

Thanks for that -- That helped alot -- I love the Clown look -- I think that is the look I want Matt to try to go for -- Thanks again

#8557 3 years ago

I've been doing more research on this pin and I've seen some tutorial/gameplay videos where people say all you do is shoot at sparky all day.

Is this accurate? Or have new code revisions made this strategy not as appealing?

#8558 3 years ago

There is a lot more to this pin then shooting Sparky all day. Crank It Up is the way you score big on this pin, and that requires you hit Snake, Coffin, Grave Markers, and Sparky 15 times each (on factory settings). If your main strategy is to go for Sparky all day that is because you will inevitably open up other modes in the game, Lady Justice, Blackened, Crank it up etc. If you are only good at targeting Sparky you won't get high scores once you reach Crank It Up.

Don't worry there is a deep rule set in Metallica that will keep you interested for a long time!

#8559 3 years ago

Shooting Sparky is a popular strategy for tournament play as it's comparatively safe and you can score some big points with Sparky multiball.

As Indusguys mentioned though, there are lots of other strategy options and fun modes within Met's rules for those who take the time to learn them.

#8560 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice.

I'll have to play one in person.

#8561 3 years ago

If you get more than 2 sparky multis on average you're doing it wrong

#8562 3 years ago

Can someone provide a solid explanation of how the scoring works in Blackened mode? I've had a few games where I've gotten $125-$140 million in this mode, usually during a longer multiball, and I really don't know how the hell I did it!

#8563 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Can someone provide a solid explanation of how the scoring works in Blackened mode? I've had a few games where I've gotten $125-$140 million in this mode, usually during a longer multiball, and I really don't know how the hell I did it!

Your game pays out cash?

#8564 3 years ago

Check out purpledrillmonkeys response to the article I linked, all the way at the very bottom.

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/metallica-pro.3077/

Hope that helps.

#8565 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Check out purpledrillmonkeys response to the article I linked, all the way at the very bottom.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen this article before. It's a great rundown of the rules.

#8566 3 years ago

There is a mod for everything.

I was actually surprised Denis was selling this for Metallica.
Not for me, but who knows for another?

http://bit.ly/2cYEyZr

#8567 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Definitely helpful!

#8568 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Hope that helps.

This really helps get an idea of the depth of the game. Thank you!

#8569 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

That's one classy MET mod.

#8570 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Shooting Sparky is a popular strategy for tournament play as it's comparatively safe and you can score some big points with Sparky multiball.
As Indusguys mentioned though, there are lots of other strategy options and fun modes within Met's rules for those who take the time to learn them.

In competitive play, I rarely go for Sparky Jackpots. They come naturally but I'm more focused on lighting Crank it up. The real points are in those modes. If you are feeling the risk vs reward try to make sure you have 2x PF going before you go to collect the jackpot.

#8571 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

In competitive play, I rarely go for Sparky Jackpots. They come naturally but I'm more focused on lighting Crank it up. The real points are in those modes.

Agreed. I view Sparky multiball primarily as a means to light Crank it Up. If you go into the multiball with several rows of inserts fully lit, it's not hard to complete cross, snake and electric chair. Coffin takes a bit more work, but it's still a lot easier and safer to attack it during multiball than during single ball play.

#8572 3 years ago

I want a set of those for my dashboard in my truck! they'll match my mudflaps!!!

#8573 3 years ago

Hi guys, I got a NIB Metallica Premium here in the UK yesterday, awesome machine, plus Metallica are my fave. band...
Is there a list of all available mods anywhere on here? As I'm just trying to work out which mods to go with to get the game looking top notch!

#8574 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaPea:

Hi guys, I got a NIB Metallica Premium here in the UK yesterday, awesome machine, plus Metallica are my fave. band...
Is there a list of all available mods anywhere on here? As I'm just trying to work out which mods to go with to get the game looking top notch!

Several lists have been made in this thread so you may have to browse for them. Paint your sparky or pay and have it done. Speaker light kit, maybe the sparky plastic protector, Mantis or Cliffy for the scoop, snake fangs and tongue sticker, a sub and color DMD are really all you need. Under cab lighting does nothing but add distraction when playing IMO. The candy purple armor looks amazing but it's $500 bucks.....if you like the look and have money to blow it certainly looks great.

There are about 20 or so other mods people have done so plenty of options. Some like the creeping death blades. I think mirror blades look great. Some people swear to change the plastic post on the loop to the metal one and you could change the block for the coffin to a Newton ball. I still have the block.....it's starting to wear pretty good so I may change mine to the Newton ball.

You can really spend a crap ton on mods for this game. I am sure others will comment on the other cool things people have done. It's really up to your taste in mods as there are so many for Metallica.

#8575 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Some people swear to change the plastic post on the loop to the metal one ...

This mod is an absolute must if you want the game to play like it was designed to.

#8576 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaPea:

Welcome to the club, your gonna LOVE it, especially a premium. I make and sell my LED Leg Light-Ups. Look for my topic. "New LED Leg Light-Ups) for pictures.

#8577 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This mod is an absolute must if you want the game to play like it was designed to.

Where can I get the metal post?

#8578 3 years ago
Quoted from Gate-keeper:

Where can I get the metal post?

http://marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=a-17986

(this was posted by another pinsider in this thread. I still have the plastic one in mine. just fyi...)

#8579 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaPea:

I made a comprehensive list in this thread a few months back of over 100+ documented changes to my machine. Do a quick search of my postings this specific topic.

I also offered a website link with redirection to specific mods.

#8580 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I could never go back to the plastic post. If you have not changed it out yet, do it now!

#8581 3 years ago

What does the metal post resolve? I rarely if ever have a ball hit the post and not drop into the pops after.

#8582 3 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

What does the metal post resolve? I rarely if ever have a ball hit the post and not drop into the pops after.

You are one of the lucky ones. Most plastic posts cause greater than 50% rejects, mostly at the left orbit. Changed my LE to metal, rejects went to zero. My pro still has stock plastic, rejects all the fricken time.

#8583 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You are one of the lucky ones. Most plastic posts cause greater than 50% rejects, mostly at the left orbit. Changed my LE to metal, rejects went to zero. My pro still has stock plastic, rejects all the fricken time.

lol maybe I already swapped it out and forgot....wouldn't be the first time.

#8584 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yeah, I would say mine were rejected well over half the time. None with the metal replacement.

I don't really know why Stern skimped out on such a small piece that makes such a big difference.

#8585 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

I could never go back to the plastic post. If you have not changed it out yet, do it now!

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Most plastic posts cause greater than 50% rejects, mostly at the left orbit. Changed my LE to metal, rejects went to zero.

Quoted from PinballNewb:

Yeah, I would say mine were rejected well over half the time. None with the metal replacement.

Ditto. Easy swap and the metal post performs WAY better at stopping left orbit shots and dropping the ball into rollover lanes & pops as intended.

#8586 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

I don't really know why Stern skimped out on such a small piece that makes such a big difference.

The same reason they removed interlock switches, lock bar slide locks, playfield rails, playfield locking tabs, extra fuse protection, changes in cabinet and backbox construction, backbox trim, real backglasses with mirroring, silk screened cabinet artwork, power supply control modules, transformers, and all the rest of the things new collectors do not know are missing, but are still paying more for less.

Recognize how to notice change.
New is not always better, it just depends on what a person is willing to accept.

#8587 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Umm bc they are cheap lol.... save a dollar or 2 on every met made and thats 5-10k extra.....

#8588 3 years ago

That's just reality. Everything costs money. I don't mind some things like playfield pegs and latches because they are not anything that affects gameplay.

I replaced my plastic post with metal. I still get a reject now and then but far, far fewer than with the plastic which was more than 50% of the time.

There are tons of mods. My favorite is the colordmd. Expensive but makes a huge impact in enjoyment factor. I also think the snake fangs and tongue are a must. Not sure plastic protectors are needed but like how they look. I thought about getting the total lightshow mod. Looks awesome but little uneasy about the installation and cost. Same for Pinball Refinery's painted trim. Just don't want to spend so much on mods for one game. Cheaps mods are great, though. I tweaked my led lighting for a custom look. I also swapped out stock rubber for Titan rings. Twenty84's coffin skull insert is very cool and only $5.

#8589 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Umm bc they are cheap lol.... save a dollar or 2 on every met made and thats 5-10k extra.....

Guess they have to make up for all the playfields they are supposedly going to be replacing at what ($300-$500 cost guestament) each.

#8590 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

As jawjaw mentioned I don't mind the things that don't affect gameplay. Saving a buck or two per game just seems like a bad trade off when it negatively affects gameplay so much. Moot point now I guess.

#8591 3 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

+1, maybe 2% of the time. very rarely does it come back down the left orbit on my premium. but hey next order I make, ill grab one anyway. LOL, just cause I love working on this machine as much as I love playing it.

#8592 3 years ago

The same reason they removed interlock switches, lock bar slide locks, playfield rails, playfield locking tabs, extra fuse protection, changes in cabinet and backbox construction, backbox trim, real backglasses with mirroring, silk screened cabinet artwork, power supply control modules, transformers, and all the rest of the things new collectors do not know are missing, but are still paying more for less.
Recognize how to notice change.
New is not always better, it just depends on what a person is willing to accept.

Agreed with all but one point. I actually prefer the change in the lock down bar. It holds things so much tighter and really isn't any harder to remove or install the lock bar. I think they got this change right. Now the rest of them.... That's another story...

#8593 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Agreed with all but one point. I actually prefer the change in the lock down bar. It holds things so much tighter and really isn't any harder to remove or install the lock bar. I think they got this change right. Now the rest of them.... That's another story...

Doesn't really bother me either, biggest negative I've heard about it is if someone is servicing a game on location and forgets to relatch when they are done the game is left unsecured

#8594 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This slide lock is adjustable on the INSIDE, versus the old screw adjusting style used with BLY/WMS game.
Not anywhere near as convenient, but you can keep it cranked tight, unless it hard routed and slopped up, requiring replacement parts.

Separately, anytime a person states "they really do not mind", Stern or another company removes a feature, and tests the waters just like pricing, further removing the device from commercial quality.
Operators do mind, but are no longer have the "muscle" to effect sales and construction like they did in the 90s.
Operators were the ones that created the sliding playfield forward maintenance locks implemented by BLY/WMS in 1992 for example. The concept was not patented by the operator who made a sample to help others. Due to the way the private market is today, manufacturers are quite safe to remove something knowing a home user will never recognize the difference.

It is just like an owner crying "Fire!" that playfields never had clear coat issues until 2015 on MET or 2016 on GB, which is of course simply untrue, but people just "crossed their fingers" and bought games anyway.

The reality is hardcore collectors and some enthusiasts will provide solutions to manufacture problems long before a manufacturer fixes the problem themselves. Many provide the direct solutions as noted above, and even game specific corrections to the manufacturers to improve the production line games. LOTR is a great example that was improved by private owner "corrections" based on modifications including the sword ramp, Gimli hole, Balrog, and one ring.

#8595 3 years ago

yes, I know they are adjustable. I'm not a newbee. Not an old timer but been around machines for almost 20 years now (collecting for 7 years now).

Sometimes innovation or change is good and sometimes it's bad. 5 of my games are slide systems and 2 are latch. I just prefer the latch system. It feels more secure. Even when my slide system bars are adjusted they still wiggle a bit. Only way to get them as tight as the latch system lock bars is to adjust them to where it's real tough to get the slide to lock. All in all I much prefer the latch.

I also have no issues with Stern making changes as long as the change is an attempt for the better of the experience and not just to cut corners. The backbox to me is a good example of that. Aesthetically, I prefer the wood back box but functionally I like the newer style with the tilted DMD. It also feels lighter to me (never weighed them so that could be mental) but being metal it should be stronger and hold up better in the long haul.

Don't want to derail things to much. In the end you have to use your wallet to let a mfg know what changes you will accept and the ones you wont.

#8596 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaPea:

I'm taking my Met Prem to NLP this weekend - It's had plenty put on it - tastefully of course.

Why not check it out if you're going

#8598 3 years ago

Turned game on tonight and have a fun one. game was awful dark and realized all flashers are out. Maybe an adjust as well. More time to dig in tomorrow but if it happened to you and have a quick fix let me know. Game registers fine otherwise.

#8599 3 years ago

I've been working on Coffin Lock mods. If anyone is interested I'll start making them after the Chicago Expo.
Full info is on the Mod board (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-skull-and-eyeball-coffin-mods#postbox)

WED_4563 (resized).JPGWED_4665 (resized).JPGWED_4588 (resized).JPG

Added over 3 years ago:

Archived after 49 days
Sold (amount undisclosed)
Mod - For Sale
New “Silver Skull with lit eyes on coffin, $55 (USPS First Class included in price, continental USA). The mod is designed to sit above the captive ball coffin lock (behind the newton b...”
2017-01-05
Tucson, AZ
55 (Firm)

#8600 3 years ago

PM sent

Quoted from zene10:

I've been working on Coffin Lock mods. If anyone is interested I'll start making them after the Chicago Expo.
Full info is on the Mod board (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-skull-and-eyeball-coffin-mods#postbox)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
There are 16884 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 338.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside