C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 434.
#8251 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Good news is the total lightshow is available for 300 and even has more lightshows than stock plus all the stock premium lighting. Also spinners are available for 100.00. So for around 5 k (use to be 4600 nib)u can have a pro with them 2 nice features and a premium is/was 6400. U cant go wrong with eaither but i have a totally modded pro with color dmd, total light show,spinners, powder coat, creeping deathmod, hooked caps, topper, cliffys, shaker,speaker lights/inserts, sub and much more for price i wld of paid for a stock premium . Its a awesome pin in any for tho

Wrote this few pages back for another person .

#8252 7 years ago

Post some pics!!

#8253 7 years ago

Just think of all the awesome mods u can put on the pro for the price of a premium now.

#8254 7 years ago

As others have said, you can't go wrong. I have the pro and I love it. I really prefer premium translite and spinners but wasn't worth the xtra dough for me. May add spinners down the road. Anybody want to part with their Monsters translite?

#8255 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Spinners make a big difference in being able to get enough switch hits to achieve a switch bonus such as in the Fade To Black CIU.

Pretty sure the pro code is tuned differently to allow for the missing spinners.

#8256 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That's what I'm afraid of....its just a very difficult decision...i got the money for the premium but a lot of people say its not worth the extra 2K...just a bit confused. I wish I could play them in the computer or something....to get a feel for both of them. Thanks

I bought a pro and have played the premium/LE. They are both awesome games. I love Metallica as a band and the game. I would not personally spend another $2k for the premium. I don't like the hammer. It blocks your view when trying to hit sparky from the right flipper. I don't care about the cross, barely noticed. The snake jaw doesn't do much for me. Spinners? Well, they're spinners. I like spinners but they're also like $20-$30 in parts. Spinners aren't needed for fade to black on the pro since the number of switch hits needed on the pro is less. The light show I like, but not a game changer. I just really don't see a need for the premium. I may buy an LE one day if I find a decent price on one. The only reason I'd buy that is I love the cabinet art and I'm a big Metallica fan. The LE has a collector aspect to me.

Overall I'm really happy with my pro. I would much rather keep my pro and stick $2,000 towards another game. You can't go wrong either way, this is just my $.02

#8257 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pretty sure the pro code is tuned differently to allow for the missing spinners.

Wasn't aware of this Pro code revision - thanks. My post has now been corrected.

#8258 7 years ago

I love my monster premium. my first NIB pin
while I wouldn't say that I'm a huge metallica fan (never seen them in concert, I do like a lot of their music and borg and lyman blew the roof off of the factory with this one. great rule set, nice flow and fantastic layout and toys. I love the fact that apparently metallica (the band) was adamant about the machine having metal ramps (all models) [at least that I was I have been told]

both version of the game play well and unlike many of today's titles from stern, the pro doesn't feel like a stripped down version of the premium/LE, however the added features on the premium/LE are really nice and lend themselves as really nice upgrades (think of it more as leather seats vs. cloth in a car)

the spinners are integrated into game play and as was mentioned before, tying them to the tom drum sample (especially with a sub woofer) is just one more detail that makes you smile

personally, I don't think that the hammer blocks or obscures any of the shots to sparky (while it may do so for some of the shorter players out there, it's definitely no where near as obtrusive as that huge plastic abomination that is wolverine

yes, the rising/lowering cross tombstone doesn't affect game play, but again it's a nice touch and something that typically wows guests when they see it for the first time. plus, it operates so smoothly and ties in perfectly with the DMD animation

finally, I think the articulated snake jaw is just another really nice touch that does a much better job of letting you know when a shot is available vs. the LED on the pro. people have stated that they don't like the hammer because it "slows down play", but on the premium/LE, if the snake jaw is closed, your ball bounces off and opens it, allowing game play to continue seamlessly vs. the ball getting captured and then spit back out two seconds later on a pro

remember, no one's opinion is more important than your own. don't take anyone's word for it. take the time to play the different models that are available for a specific machine and purchase the one that you like the best

#8259 7 years ago

Helpful hint : the premium is worth it!

#8260 7 years ago

Thank you guys for all the answers! I guess, I will have to apply the old saying "what yoi don't know doesn't hurt you" (or something like that). I have never played Pro or Premium, And its unlikely I ever will unless I buy one. If I just get the PRO, it will never hurt to not have spinners, light show, ect, ect because I will probably never get to play a premium. Some of you guys are so lucky to have somewhere near to go test them and compare. I don't

That being said, I may just opt to get the PRO, and use the extra 2K towards my upcoming TAF restoration by Bryan Kelly

I have been asking you guys lots of questions and its pretty much 50-50 in responses...some say PRO and some say Premium. I thank you all very much, and look forward getting my Metallica very soon....any particular retailer you guys recommend? Thanks!

#8261 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I don't think that the hammer blocks or obscures any of the shots to sparky

it's definitely no where near as obtrusive as that huge plastic abomination that is wolverine

Opposite here. I dislike the Hammer as it blocks my view and Wolverine on my Xmen Pro never bothers me.

The biggest improvement on the Premium is the lightshow in my opinion. I regretted my Pro purchase because of this until TimeBandit released his mod. I added the rising Gravemarker and spinners to my pro as it was never about the cash with mine, just that hammer.

#8262 7 years ago

You guys must play to the right of center lol. The hammer does not block any normal viewing lol. I think those are justifications y'all made up! To each his own.

#8263 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just think of all the awesome mods u can put on the pro for the price of a premium now.

This ^^^ !

If you are into adding mods yourself the Met Pro is a paradise machine. However, if you'd rather just play the game the Premium might be your better choice if you really want the improved lightshow, etc.

Having said that, they are both awesome games stock so if you bought the Pro and did nothing to it you'd still be having a blast!

But the Premium lightshow, etc. is really sweet...
Shit, now I can't decide either!

Kidding, I went Pro and am modding it up over time. I'm too damn cheap to splurge even more for the Premium.

#8264 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

If you are into adding mods yourself the Met Pro is a paradise machine.

TimeBandits Totallightshow and the Creeping Death blades with lighting are sick. I thought I'd hate the light bars but after putting on they do not block anything and the lightshow is astounding.

#8265 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

TimeBandits Totallightshow and the Creeping Death blades with lighting are sick. I thought I'd hate the light bars but after putting on they do not block anything and the lightshow is astounding.

Thanks for talking up the Lightshow mbobcade.

I think the greatest thing about the Metallica machine has got to be the people who play it. Seriously, the pro/premium debate goes on and on unresolved, but it never rises above a playful, respectful banter. The argument could easily get heated because the guys on each side really love their choice. But through it all runs the respect that this could be one of the greatest machines ever, whichever model you have, and everyone respects everyone else just for having one kick ass machine.
But the pro is better. Hammer sucks balls.

#8266 7 years ago

I do admire the physical ball-lock and showing them in the coffin is wicked, but yes hammer sucks balls lol

#8267 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Thanks for talking up the Lightshow mbobcade.

Yep updated my username from mbob to BOBCADE to match my Twitch and YouTube channel

#8268 7 years ago

Thinking of changing my name to "HAMRTIME" . Team hammer rules!

#8269 7 years ago

This TimeBandit light show mod, is that pretty much replacing bulbs to get the light show? Or what is it exactly?

#8270 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

This TimeBandit light show mod, is that pretty much replacing bulbs to get the light show? Or what is it exactly?

Don't spend this amount of money based on others feedback. That's the worst pinball buying decisions I ever made was buying what everyone else thought was cool and not what I thought was cool. Lived and learned and will never do that again (not this game) Everything is personal preference and opinions are skewed towards ones liking. Just because ____ like something doesn't mean you will. Wait till you can play the games and then go from there. There are tons of MET's out there that I'm sure people would let you try out. Worst case, if you come to Austin you can play mine.

I'm not going to argue the differences of pro vs prem as it's been done 100s of times in this very thread.

#8271 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

It's an intercept board that watches the switch and lamp matrix data to know what the game is doing, and then has logic to recreate the Premium/LE GI lightshow. The kit comes with new GI strings to add the red and blue bulbs that the Premium/GI has.

#8272 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Don't spend this amount of money based on others feedback.

Always good advice. There are videos of the TotalLightshow on youtube that demonstrate what the kit does. An interested party could watch those and make their own opinion/decision.

But along the line of "I don't agree with others feedback" ... the large majority seems to love that 'creeping death' side art and light bar kit for metallica and I just don't get it. The art doesn't match the game and the big light structure looks bad to me, so it's not my thing at all. Most people dig it thought, which is great for them (and the guy who makes the kit).

#8273 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

the large majority seems to love that 'creeping death' side art and light bar kit for metallica and I just don't get it. The art doesn't match the game and the big light structure looks bad to me, so it's not my thing at all. Most people dig it thought, which is great for them (and the guy who makes the kit)

I agree that thing looks hideous .. additional lighting effects are always nice, but those big elevated metal bars running the length of the playfield wreck the aesthetics of the game. And yea, the art clashes with the rest of the stock art. To each their own....

#8274 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Always good advice. There are videos of the TotalLightshow on youtube that demonstrate what the kit does. An interested party could watch those and make their own opinion/decision.
But along the line of "I don't agree with others feedback" ... the large majority seems to love that 'creeping death' side art and light bar kit for metallica and I just don't get it. The art doesn't match the game and the big light structure looks bad to me, so it's not my thing at all. Most people dig it thought, which is great for them (and the guy who makes the kit).

I picked up the Creeping Death mod fully expecting to pull it out for the same reason you list. Using it in person sold me. I like the art and matched my speaker panel with it.

#8275 7 years ago

I watched videos of the creeping death mod and didn't care for it. I saw it live at Pintastic and bought it on the spot. It is so impressive in action. I thought those light bars looked out of place in the video, but when you see the effect, OMG. Love it.

#8276 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You guys must play to the right of center lol. The hammer does not block any normal viewing lol. I think those are justifications y'all made up! To each his own.

No joke. I'm 5ft 9inch tall, so on the short side and I can clearly see the opening of the Sparky lane while playing (picture of eye level). If you are taller that area is even more visible. The only thing it really blocks for me is the captive ball. I'm forced to play a pro (league) all the time and when I play it I miss the snake the absolute most so I'm also surprised to see so many think it's not much of an added feature. yeah, the moving jaw isn't that big of a deal but the game play changes it creates is quite significant. Locking out the lane until it's available for something and (my favorite) it holding a ball during MB as part of the add a ball rules. If you are a control player this added feature makes blowing up scores a lot easier as you can play in MB with one less ball in the way while having the safety net of the added ball. Keep in mind it may only add a ball once but you can lock a ball in there more than once.

I'm curious though on how many "the hammer blocks ___" people there are that have the snake mod (also in my picture). Now that does block something (the inlane lights).

20160824_104119 (resized).jpg20160824_104119 (resized).jpg

#8277 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I picked up the Creeping Death mod fully expecting to pull it out for the same reason you list. Using it in person sold me. I like the art and matched my speaker panel with it.

Quoted from yzfguy:

I watched videos of the creeping death mod and didn't care for it. I saw it live at Pintastic and bought it on the spot. It is so impressive in action. I thought those light bars looked out of place in the video, but when you see the effect, OMG. Love it.

Just for the record, I have seen the kit in person and played games with it installed. Still not a fan, personally.

#8278 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

remember, no one's opinion is more important than your own. don't take anyone's word for it. take the time to play the different models that are available for a specific machine and purchase the one that you like the best

Great advice! You should find a way and make it your goal to play both machines to decide.

Quoted from 85vett:

Don't spend this amount of money based on others feedback. That's the worst pinball buying decisions I ever made was buying what everyone else thought was cool and not what I thought was cool. Lived and learned and will never do that again (not this game) Everything is personal preference and opinions are skewed towards ones liking. Just because ___ like something doesn't mean you will. Wait till you can play the games and then go from there. There are tons of MET's out there that I'm sure people would let you try out. Worst case, if you come to Austin you can play mine.
I'm not going to argue the differences of pro vs prem as it's been done 100s of times in this very thread.

Again great advice and a offer to get 50% of that goal accomplished and meet a cool Pinsider too! Being that the Pro/Premium debate goes on it really lends to the idea that it is very much up to your own personal taste. To me your spending a lot of coin on a machine with either a Pro or Premium. Add the fact that you could possibly regret on which one you choose, well maybe regret is the wrong word since the opinion of most is that you can't go wrong with either purchase. I would invest a little time and effort in playing both the models to decide for yourself even if that includes a bus ticket or two or a drive to get some actual play in.

#8279 7 years ago

To me, it's not so much that the hammer blocks the view of Sparky, but that it simply makes the middle of the playfield look like a cluttered mess. I hate the way it is shoved right up against the snake, and I think the hammer itself is kind of ugly.

#8280 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Don't spend this amount of money based on others feedback. That's the worst pinball buying decisions I ever made was buying what everyone else thought was cool and not what I thought was cool. Lived and learned and will never do that again (not this game) Everything is personal preference and opinions are skewed towards ones liking. Just because ___ like something doesn't mean you will. Wait till you can play the games and then go from there. There are tons of MET's out there that I'm sure people would let you try out. Worst case, if you come to Austin you can play mine.

Very nice of you sir! Thanks a lot!

#8281 7 years ago

Hello All!

Just got my Metallica Monsters yesterday! I love this dang game. However, this is the first machine I have owned and do not know how to troubleshoot issues. The extra-ball hole does not register. You can shoot the ball in there and the machine will eventually shoot it back out but not register the shot. Does anybody have and advice or references to guides on how to troubleshoot/fix this small problem.

Thank you so much!

#8282 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Hello All!
Just got my Metallica Monsters yesterday! I love this dang game. However, this is the first machine I have owned and do not know how to troubleshoot issues. The extra-ball hole does not register. You can shoot the ball in there and the machine will eventually shoot it back out but not register the shot. Does anybody have and advice or references to guides on how to troubleshoot/fix this small problem.
Thank you so much!

There is a switch in the hole that is obvioulsy not registering. First thing I would do is check under the playfield to make sure it is properly connected.

#8283 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There is a switch in the hole that is obvioulsy not registering. First thing I would do is check under the playfield to make sure it is properly connected.

Thanks for the quick response! I will check this out as soon as I get home from work.

#8284 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's an intercept board that watches the switch and lamp matrix data to know what the game is doing, and then has logic to recreate the Premium/LE GI lightshow. The kit comes with new GI strings to add the red and blue bulbs that the Premium/GI has.

Thanks for the explanation

#8285 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Thanks for the quick response! I will check this out as soon as I get home from work.

I see you are a new member and this may be your first machine. Don't forget to remove the balls or stick rags in both the eject hole and ball drain to stop them from flying out when you lift the playfield. And are you sure it's not registering? I believe you need to collect all of the roll-over lane shots to qualify and the DMD should show a mystery award when entering and then fire it back out. If you qualify for an extra ball or crank it up the lights will indicate they are ready and award then when entering. Otherwise it just shoots it back out.

#8286 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I see you are a new member and this may be your first machine. Don't forget to remove the balls or stick a rag in the eject hole to stop them from flying out when you lift the playfield.

Even experienced pinball owners can forget this now and then. I lifted myt MET playfield the other day, and all four balls came crashing down. One of them slammed into the PDI glass on the machine next to it. Thank god there was no damage, but boy did I feel like an idiot.

#8287 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Even experienced pinball owners can forget this now and then. I lifted myt MET playfield the other day, and all four balls came crashing down. One of them slammed into the PDI glass on the machine next to it. Thank god there was no damage, but boy did I feel like an idiot.

Yep happens to the best of us and when I was typing my post I forgot to include a rag in the drain as I just corrected it.

#8288 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If I remember to take out the balls before lifting the playfield, I feel like a hero for the rest of the day.

#8289 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

If I remember to take out the balls before lifting the playfield, I feel like a hero for the rest of the day.

I love my RFM for this reason alone. williams/bally brilliantly added what they call a [passive] ball stop (a small section is hinged and swings over to cover the ball trough exit) when the playfield is lifted into service position. this eliminates the need for removing the balls first

#8290 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I love my RFM for this reason alone. williams/bally brilliantly added what they call a [passive] ball stop (a small section is hinged and swings over to cover the ball trough exit) when the playfield is lifted into service position. this eliminates the need for removing the balls first

It's funny... I owned RFM and never really trusted that feature. I still shoved a sock in there, mostly out of habit.

Anyway, back on topic, I owned a blinged out Met Pro last year and sold it. I'm thinking about getting another one, and that would be the first time I've ever re-purchased a game. Decisions...

#8291 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I've always been more partial to mirror blades myself but I got the kit, put on the side art n thought "ok that looks alright" hooked up the light bars n thought " that is kinda meh" then wired em in... Well it's been on there over 2 years now... When I play games without it they feel lacking. My favorite part is the strobing before starting sparky multiball

#8292 7 years ago

I dig mine as well - LOVE the lighting effects! Went for the Creeping Death speaker panel to complete the artwork look and no regrets.

#8293 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I had balls fall out of that passive stop on several occasions where it didn't flip into place fast enough. Gave up trusting it after a few times.

#8294 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I see you are a new member and this may be your first machine. Don't forget to remove the balls or stick rags in both the eject hole and ball drain to stop them from flying out when you lift the playfield. And are you sure it's not registering? I believe you need to collect all of the roll-over lane shots to qualify and the DMD should show a mystery award when entering and then fire it back out. If you qualify for an extra ball or crank it up the lights will indicate they are ready and award then when entering. Otherwise it just shoots it back out.

So I just got home. I am sure it is not registering the shots. I qualified for both an extra ball and crank it up. When I shoot the pinball in there, it shoots back out regardless (sometimes during multiball a ball will get stuck in there). I lifted up the playfield but got really scared and had no idea what i was looking at.

Also, sometimes the plunger does not auto-plunge. I will do some research. Thanks for the help so far though!

#8295 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

So I just got home. I am sure it is not registering the shots. I qualified for both an extra ball and crank it up. When I shoot the pinball in there, it shoots back out regardless (sometimes during multiball a ball will get stuck in there). I lifted up the playfield but got really scared and had no idea what i was looking at.
Also, sometimes the plunger does not auto-plunge. I will do some research. Thanks for the help so far though!

What's your location? I'm sure one of us would be happy to help.

#8296 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Just bend the arm on the switch inwards a bit inside the scoop.

#8297 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

What's your location? I'm sure one of us would be happy to help.

I'm in Chicago

#8299 7 years ago

Sorry. Logan Square

#8300 7 years ago

On the Mystery hole issue, you will need to bend the switch in the hole just a bit so that it stays in contact for just a bit longer when the ball is in there. It doesn't take much. Mine done the same thing out of the box and have also seen it on the Kiss scoop shot. It's an easy fix, just keep tweaking it and then testing until you get it to both register and eject.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/166 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.