IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 433.
#8151 7 years ago

Sooooo deaf right now!!!!!

0820162234_HDR_(resized).jpg0820162234_HDR_(resized).jpg

0820162059a_Pano_(resized).jpg0820162059a_Pano_(resized).jpg

#8152 7 years ago

AWSOME SHOW!!!!

#8153 7 years ago

Pro has a captive ball, premium has a metal block with the hammer physical coffin lock under the playfield.

#8154 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Pro has a captive ball, premium has a metal block with the hammer physical coffin lock under the playfield.

Thanks! Its just weird that on Stern's website, the premium with the hammer has the captive ball and not a plate

#8155 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Its just weird that on Stern's website, the premium with the hammer has the captive ball and not a plate

Lots of Prem owners have replaced the square block with a pro style captive ball. Parts links have been posted in this thread before. Im too lazy to look for them now, but they should be here someplace.

#8156 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

What color leds, 6, are you guys using at the top back of the cab above sparky ?

Mix of purple and ice blue for me.

#8157 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Lots of Prem owners have replaced the square block with a pro style captive ball

Yep many Prem and LE owners replaced the square block with the newton ball style contact, as I'm about to do on my LE if I don't have to sell off all my machines which I find out on Tuesday.

#8158 7 years ago

Premium has a metal Square box, However I removed it day 1 and installed the captive ball its a simple swap and the cost is around 15 bucks.

#8159 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

The pics were probably pre-production, and the plan was probably to use the captive ball on all models. I bet they were worried that the ball wouldn't catch on the magnet after ricocheting off the captive ball, so they came up with the block in an attempt to get the ball to drop straight down.

The above info is just my guess.

#8160 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The pics were probably pre-production, and the plan was probably to use the captive ball on all models. I bet they were worried that the ball wouldn't catch on the magnet after ricocheting off the captive ball, so they came up with the block in an attempt to get the ball to drop straight down.

Thanks! I was hoping that they had gotten tid of the plate in this year's production run

#8161 7 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Premium has a metal Square box, However I removed it day 1 and installed the captive ball its a simple swap and the cost is around 15 bucks.

Is it hard to do?

#8162 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I believe the aluminum block is to avoid the captive ball getting magnetized and have the ball in play stick to it and get stuck.

#8163 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Is it hard to do?

Takes around 5 minutes. Easy bolt off he old, bolt on the new. I played about 10 games with the block and could already see how it gets dented up and figured that has got to be scratching up the ball and causing playfield wear. It plays great with the ball too.

#8164 7 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

I believe the aluminum block is to avoid the captive ball getting magnetized and have the ball in play stick to it and get stuck.

This reminds me of what happened the other day during grave marker multiball. I had three balls going, and I sent a ball into the cemetery to score a double jackpot. I then backhanded a second ball up there for the super jackpot, but it stuck to the first ball instead of dislodging it. I did it again with the third ball, and all three got stuck up there.

#8165 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I did it again with the third ball, and all three got stuck up there.

It doesn't happen often, but I've done that twice myself!

Quoted from Troutfarm:

I've had the ball in play stick to the captive ball several times. I finally used a captive ceramic ball - that eliminates the issue for good.

#8166 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Takes around 5 minutes. Easy bolt off he old, bolt on the new. I played about 10 games with the block and could already see how it gets dented up and figured that has got to be scratching up the ball and causing playfield wear. It plays great with the ball too.

Thanks!

#8167 7 years ago

Change your captive ball to green.

IMG_0905_(resized).JPGIMG_0905_(resized).JPG

#8168 7 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Change your captive ball to green

Snake eggs!
Why not hide the wires inside the hammer handle?

#8169 7 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

That looks wayy cool! Where did you get it?

#8170 7 years ago

So you guys think leaving the block in will nick the balls ? I'm not having that issue...yet. But Ive only put a months worth of games on mine.

#8171 7 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Of course , kawydud picks green

#8172 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So you guys think leaving the block in will nick the balls ? I'm not having that issue...yet. But Ive only put a months worth of games on mine.

No, I think the captive ball is just a bit more consistent. That seems to be the main reason people swap them.

#8173 7 years ago

We will be live streaming our Metallica Promium tonight if all goes well.
This is our first attempt at at live stream.
9:00 CST.
If all goes well we plan to eventually make it an every Sunday night event.
Tune in and watch Pinburgh's B division champ play some pinball.
http://www.twitch.tv/thepinballmafia

#8174 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Of course , kawydud picks green

Not just a Kawasaki thing.

#8175 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That looks wayy cool! Where did you get it?

Captive ball is from Pinball Life, balls are from here. http://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-glo-balls?variant=1314803548

#8176 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Snake eggs!
Why not hide the wires inside the hammer handle?

I don't know why I didn't do that, but now it will be.

Thanks

#8177 7 years ago

Guys I can anybody please tell me the following:

Why are there 2 captive balls? Really confused about that.

I need to know if the PRO has the coffin multiball? I know the premium does but does the PRO start a coffin multiball after do many hits to the captive ball?

Just trying to decide which one to get. Thanks!

#8178 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Guys I can anybody please tell me the following:
I need to know if the PRO has the coffin multiball? I know the premium does but does the PRO start a coffin multiball after do many hits to the captive ball?

The one is fixed to playfield. Other one moves back and hits target.

Of course it has coffin mb

#8179 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

One of the balls is stationary (caged) and serves only to transfer energy to the other ball (which is free to travel a short distance to close a switch on a standup target).

#8180 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes the pro has coffin multiball.
All versions of Metallica are great, you won't make a bad decision with whatever one you choose here.

#8181 7 years ago

I love the pro, faster gameplay, no ugly huge hammer blocking your view!

I always assumed Stern used the 2 ball captive ball to avoid patent infringments with Williams, but recently heard an interview with John Trudeau who stated it was to avoid making the switch inaccessible due to having to wait for a single ball to return to the rest position.

Not sure if any other Stern games use a typical single ball captive ball or not though...

#8182 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I love the pro, faster gameplay, no ugly huge hammer blocking your view!
I always assumed Stern used the 2 ball captive ball to avoid patent infringments with Williams, but recently heard an interview with John Trudeau who stated it was to avoid making the switch inaccessible due to having to wait for a single ball to return to the rest position.
Not sure if any other Stern games use a typical single ball captive ball or not though...

Avatar LE, Mustang Pro, GB Pro and NASCAR have 2 balls but T3 has a single ball which is not captive of course.

#8183 7 years ago

Ok thanks guys for your answers! I guess what I really want to know is: If both have coffin multiball, then the only difference between the 2 is that on the premium you can actually see the balls being locked up in the coffin? Is that it?

#8184 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Ok thanks guys for your answers! I guess what I really want to know is: If both have coffin multiball, then the only difference between the 2 is that on the premium you can actually see the balls being locked up in the coffin? Is that it?

That's correct. On the pro they are virtual locks.

#8185 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Not the only difference between the two games.
Differences are on a spreadsheet on the stern site.

#8186 7 years ago

Thanks guys! That was a big help! Now I feel more and more torn about which one to buy

#8187 7 years ago

Regarding the latest PRO version with LEDs...What about this "light show" of the Premium vs the PRO? Is that still the case now that the PRO has LEDs? Does the PRO wih LEDs have the same "light show" now that it comes with LEDs?

#8188 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Regarding the latest PRO version with LEDs...What about this "light show" of the Premium vs the PRO? Is that still the case now that the PRO has LEDs? Does the PRO wih LEDs have the same "light show" now that it comes with LEDs?

The premium/LE has multicolor LEDs in the arrow inserts and GI and change depending on mode(s) running, combos and other things. Pretty standard across premium/LEs from 2012 onward. Looks really good on Metallica considering the great PF art it's cast on.

#8189 7 years ago

IMG_2660_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_2660_(1)_(resized).JPG

IMG_2655_(resized).JPGIMG_2655_(resized).JPG

IMG_2656_(resized).JPGIMG_2656_(resized).JPG

IMG_2657_(resized).JPGIMG_2657_(resized).JPG

IMG_2659_(resized).JPGIMG_2659_(resized).JPG

#8190 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

The pro doesnt have the color changing inserts or GI.

But TimeBandit makes a mod to add the color changing GI functionality to the pro model.

The color changing inserts cant be implemented on the pro, however, cause the inserts themselves are RED instead of Clear on the pro.

If it were feasible to do then TimeBandit would have found a way im sure.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo

#8191 7 years ago

Great information guys! Thanks a lot! I wish I could play them both but there are none near me.....guess will just have to keep checking out youtube videos to help me make my decision. Thanks!

#8192 7 years ago

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Wayne-Johns

An easy way to be in with a chance of getting some fantastic pinball mods for a fraction of the cost of normal.

I'd be grateful if you could take the time to visit, read and share the page - even if you don't intend to donate.

Thanks

PS Creeping death pinblades from Pingraffix on my Met Prem look fantastic, as does the snake /ramp mod.

#8193 7 years ago

GREAT looking machine!!!

#8194 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Great information guys! Thanks a lot! I wish I could play them both but there are none near me.....guess will just have to keep checking out youtube videos to help me make my decision. Thanks!

I was having the same issue -- Pro vs Premium/LE. I played both versions multiple times. I ultimately went Pro. I couldn't justify the extra money for the hammer, spinners, rising cross and lightshow.

The Pro plays faster (no waiting for the rising cross or hammer ball lock). I miss having spinners - Stern definitely cheaped out. The rising cross really doesn't make a difference to me.

Eventually, I'll add Time Bandit's lightshow. The lightshow on the Prem/LE is a nice feature.

I was lucky enough to live near Pinballerchef who did the spinner upgrade on his Pro. I like it and I might add it later. Like more cowbell, you can never have enough spinner - especially if they're lubed!

If you go Pro, you've got "extra" money, that would have otherwise been sunk in the Premium, for plastic protectors (Rickwh's Sparky protector), beer, money for HankScorpio's LED insert (worth the money or you can DIY), color LEDs to replace some of the white ones and a subwoofer.

You'l have fun with both. Just join the club.

#8195 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I was having the same issue -- Pro vs Premium/LE. I played both versions multiple times. I ultimately went Pro. I couldn't justify the extra money for the hammer, spinners, rising cross and lightshow.
The Pro plays faster (no waiting for the rising cross or hammer ball lock). I miss having spinners - Stern definitely cheaped out. The rising cross really doesn't make a difference to me.
Eventually, I'll add Time Bandit's lightshow. The lightshow on the Prem/LE is a nice feature.
I was lucky enough to live near Pinballerchef who did the spinner upgrade on his Pro. I like it and I might add it later. Like more cowbell, you can never have enough spinner - especially if they're lubed!
If you go Pro, you've got "extra" money, that would have otherwise been sunk in the Premium, for plastic protectors (Rickwh's Sparky protector), beer, money for HankScorpio's LED insert (worth the money or you can DIY), color LEDs to replace some of the white ones and a subwoofer.
You'l have fun with both. Just join the club.

Thanks a lot! Can I add the songs I want to the machine? Is that possible?

#8196 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

And interactive snake jaw, etc. Etc.

#8197 7 years ago

Are the snake body and metallica sign mods or come standard? Thanks!

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#8198 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

And interactive snake jaw, etc. Etc.

What is the ect ect? Thanks

#8199 7 years ago

You should really read this....

tallica feature matrix (resized).JPGtallica feature matrix (resized).JPG

#8200 7 years ago

Physical ball lock with eject from the scoop,
Play field rails
Original style lockdown bar
Spinners tied into game rules
The snake jaw has an extra shot to open the mouth

The hammer was my families favorite part and we never had an issue with it

Both games are fun but we went premium to get all the features

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/164 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.