IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 433.
#7651 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Paradise city, lol!

yeah well.....what can I say lol. It was that or Sweet Child of Mine.

#7652 7 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Lady justice mode: The fact it cuts right into the guts of the solo is more than enough reason to keep it in...at least imo. Otherwise yer gonna get stuck with something in that slot underwhelming.

Quoted from Hougie:

I have "... and Justice for All" in that slot. It cuts into the ripping solo from AJFA during Lady Justice mode.
Underwhelming? I call that Bad Ass \m/

I have AJFA, as well, and like Hougie posted, it not only fits the mode, it cuts in at the perfect spot, especially as the mode starts to end and the solo tempo almost counts down for you.

#7653 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I had the same issue almost immediately on my game.
I contacted Cliffy regarding a protector for the drain hole and he said he is working on it as he needs it for his own Metallica as well. Not ready yet AFAIK. I'd put mylar there and make sure you cover the inside edges of the playfield in the hole as they chip off in no time at all. Stern is sending me a "repair kit" but I haven't received it yet so don't know what it contains.
I put the Mantis protector that goes inside the mystery scope on mine but I can already see the clear is starting to chip at the top edge of the hole anyway so I'd just put the cliffy on there and be done with it. Stern's clearcoat is ridiculously fragile on any edges it seems.
For the shooter lane I've read folks having problems with the metal cliffy's there interfering with the normal ball flow. Folks using Mylar there report no wear so use that instead (looks better with mylar too imho). You might still want to get the metal protector that goes on the black wood rail beside the shooter lane.
I used Avery self-laminating sheets instead of mylar everywhere except the drain hole and it seems to work well and is easy to apply and can be removed or replaced anytime. Others have also reported good experiences with it preventing wear over an extended period. Plus you can pick it inexpensively at a Walmart or office supply store.
You'll also want to apply mylar around the magnets and under the ramp drops. Using the self-laminating sheet material I just went ahead and covered the whole area in front of Spary's feet past the magnet since it sees so much action. Can't really tell that it is there.

Only protection on my premium is a mantis protector in scoop with extra clear applied along the edges and still looks new, mylar in shooter eject hole and lane, and the metal piece that goes on the side to protect wood when ball is ejected. That's all, except of course good waxing and new balls. Had my Premium for over 2 years now, besides dimples in the playfield and on Sparky magnet, no wear on playfield.

#7654 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I have AJFA, as well, and like Hougie posted, it not only fits the mode, it cuts in at the perfect spot, especially as the mode starts to end and the solo tempo almost counts down for you.

Well then, I stand corrected ajfa > one... Just dumb luck it fits right tho. I might even give it a try

#7655 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I had put the Four Horseman in the One slot previously, but I wanted to mix something new for the 1.70 code. You inspired me to do the same thing But I created a 7 minute, condensed edited cut of my own. Short version of Trapped Under Ice (about 2.5 minutes), into short version of Fight Fire with Fire (about 2.5 minutes) into the guitar solo of And Justice for all. Lady Justice mode picks up at about 5min32sec into this track.

The "Fire & Ice For All" track is pretty intense, because both those songs really THRASH and fits well with the speed of the pin, plus it's nice to actually have the proper song running Lady Justice mode. Thank god for Pinball Browser.

#7656 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

METALLICA COLORDMD 3.4 ROM UPDATE!
An update to support the new game ROM V1.70 has been posted to our support page and is available for immediate download!
Thanks very much to Chris Enright for making the changes, and Greg and Doug for their help testing the update.
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

Quick question: do I need to press the furthest right button as it shows at the beginning of the firmware update video, or just put the USB stick in and hold furthest left button down for 5 sec.? The video shows Sigma on white water pin, to get update to color, I already set on color just need to update for the new game code. Thanks

#7657 7 years ago

I'm in love with this machine. Epic pin in every way!! Only gripe I have is just wish it had more songs

#7658 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Quick question: do I need to press the furthest right button as it shows at the beginning of the firmware update video, or just put the USB stick in and hold furthest left button down for 5 sec.? The video shows Sigma on white water pin, to get update to color, I already set on color just need to update for the new game code. Thanks

To load an updated colordmd ROM, you put the downloaded file on the USB stick, plug it in, and then hold the button closest to the USB stick until the screen blanks (then it will program and come back on). There are some new display changes in the Metallica 1.7 code that will not be detected and colored right if you don't update the colordmd ROM -- so you should update both, the Stern game ROM and the ColorDMD display ROM.

#7659 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

To load an updated colordmd ROM, you put the downloaded file on the USB stick, plug it in, and then hold the button closest to the USB stick until the screen blanks (then it will program and come back on). There are some new display changes in the Metallica 1.7 code that will not be detected and colored right if you don't update the colordmd ROM -- so you should update both, the Stern game ROM and the ColorDMD display ROM.

Thanks. I already running new game code, just got this new firmware on the USB stick. Just was looking for confirmation on this, much appreciated!!

#7660 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I'm in love with this machine. Epic pin in every way!! Only gripe I have is just wish it had more songs

Agree!!

#7661 7 years ago

So will this update wipe out the serial number? Every time I do anything on colorDMD I always end up being down waiting on a key. The DRM is super annoying. But I guess it serves its purpose - piss off the paying customers. I'll probably just live with a few orange frames to avoid the potential DRM gotcha here.

#7662 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Only gripe I have is just wish it had more songs

Wherever I May Roam needs to be added. I'd like Nothing Else Matters as well. I wonder what the cost would be to add these songs from a licensing standpoint?

#7663 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So will this update wipe out the serial number? Every time I do anything on colorDMD I always end up being down waiting on a key. The DRM is super annoying. But I guess it serves its purpose - piss off the paying customers. I'll probably just live with a few orange frames to avoid the potential DRM gotcha here.

I think only the first run or two of colordmd require a key. I remember having to do that on afm, the first game to get it, but not on any since then.

#7664 7 years ago

Hope someone can help me with this. Love my mettalica pro but all the videos I see show the 4 band member targets flashing until hit. 3 of mine will flash till hit but 1 and it is always the one on the far right of the play field will go off until I run the ball up a ramp and then it will flash again for about 10 seconds and go off if not hit. Is there a setting here I am not aware of? Also no errors are showing in the service mode. Thanks for any help.

#7665 7 years ago
Quoted from racerx12:

Hope someone can help me with this. Love my mettalica pro but all the videos I see show the 4 band member targets flashing until hit. 3 of mine will flash till hit but 1 and it is always the one on the far right of the play field will go off until I run the ball up a ramp and then it will flash again for about 10 seconds and go off if not hit. Is there a setting here I am not aware of? Also no errors are showing in the service mode. Thanks for any help.

The band member targets are tied to the stand up targets on either side of the ramps. Complete all 4 a bunch of times and eventually you will light all four band members and start the blackened mode.

#7666 7 years ago
Quoted from racerx12:

Not a setting. Put game in lamp test. I think you may have a loose bulb or wire on that insert.

#7667 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Not a setting. Put game in lamp test. I think you may have a loose bulb or wire on that insert.

Thanks. Will run a lamp test and check for loose wire and bulb.

#7668 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think only the first run or two of colordmd require a key. I remember having to do that on afm, the first game to get it, but not on any since then.

Wish that were true but it's not. Had a key issue a couple weeks ago when programming my brand new Spider-Man. Gets me every time. If there is ever a commercial competing product that doesn't require keys I'll jump to those instead.

#7669 7 years ago

With a newly purchased colorDMD? I've never had to put in a serial number, although I read that the early versions required something like that.

#7670 7 years ago

Mark, please stop posting misinformation. Updating to the new Metallica ROM does not affect the product key.

Spider-Man is a published exception and if you had followed the directions for updating that were connected to the link there would have been zero down time.

When you ran into a problem we responded directly to assist you.

#7671 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Mark, please stop posting misinformation. Updating to the new Metallica ROM does not affect the product key.
Spider-Man is a published exception and if you had followed the directions for updating that were connected to the link there would have been zero down time.
When you ran into a problem we responded directly to assist you.

It's not misinformation. I never said that updating this will cause a key problem. I asked if it would. I said that every time I ever do anything I'm stuck with no key and having down time. I said I'm personally scared to update because every time I make any changes in emailing you for a key. There is no misinformation.

Yes you respond to emails quickly - usually within a few hours. Your service is good. But I'm still stuck having to go do something else waiting for a key. If that machine was on route Id have to make a separate trip.

I hate DRM in general. But yours seems to inconvenience paying customers - well at least me. That's the trade off you have made by choosing such a DRM design. This type of discussion is the downside.

Im not just a troll here. I have 14 colordmds and I bet I've bought over 30 in the last few years so I am a heavy customer of the product. I have been needing a key at least 5 times. Each time it is an extreme bummer. Once the button that toggled the key entry would intermittently double press and it became a huge task to enter the key. It took about an hour. As a paying customer, I find it irritating to have to jump through those hoops. So as long as the DRM process continues to inconvenience me, a heavy purchasing customer, I'll be complaining about it.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to solve this problem either. A back end web server could easily issue (up to) 1 or 2 keys per serial number on the spot without having to manually wait for an email response. That would help lessen the inconvenience on paying customers significantly as they could get the key right away and not have to come back later. Something similar to this would take maybe up to one day of effort for a decent web developer depending on the algorithm used to generate keys. As I said before, I might be interested in helping with this if you wanted. Anyways, we will be at CAX this weekend. Stop by our booth if you want to chat

#7672 7 years ago

Let the games begin!
Picked up my MET PRO LED today!!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7673 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Let the games begin!
Picked up my MET PRO LED today!!

Looks good man!! I'm digging your collection so far....all hail pinball

#7674 7 years ago

A bad-ass pinball (METALLICA), next to a mellow-sissy pinball (woz)... Just don't fit!

#7675 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

A bad-ass pinball (METALLICA), next to a mellow-sissy pinball (woz)... Just don't fit!

Fits ok here. Metallica says all pinball is good. All machines are its brother.

IMG20160715234144_(resized).jpgIMG20160715234144_(resized).jpg

#7676 7 years ago

hehe... it may be ok for you guys, but just not my cup of tea...

354_(resized).jpg354_(resized).jpg

#7677 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes you respond to emails quickly - usually within a few hours. Your service is good. But I'm still stuck having to go do something else waiting for a key. If that machine was on route Id have to make a separate trip.

Or just look at your key before you do any update and write it down. Then if something goes wrong, you can just re-enter it. This would work for any display after they started shipping them with sigma installed. For the early ones, you still need a key, I believe, but you could get that pre-emptively before doing anything with the display.

#7678 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Or just look at your key before you do any update and write it down. Then if something goes wrong, you can just re-enter it. This would work for any display after they started shipping them with sigma installed. For the early ones, you still need a key, I believe, but you could get that pre-emptively before doing anything with the display.

Thanks. This is a good suggestion for updating Metallica.

#7679 7 years ago

Nice line up FranMac. My RR woz goes great with my metallica too. Wouldn't trade either one.

#7680 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Thanks. This is a good suggestion for updating Metallica.

Metallica won't need it. If you'd actually *read* the instructions they provide, you'll see Spider Man is the only game requiring key-re-entry, because the ROM file is so large it overwrites it:

http://www.colordmd.com/extended_roms.html

Edited, the instruction clearly state to write the damn thing down. Your rant against them quite unwarranted!

#7681 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Edited, the instruction clearly state to write the damn thing down. Your rant against them quite unwarranted!

If that was the only time I was stuck entering a key, I'd agree. Unfortunately it's far from the case. Any DRM that requires emailing someone to use what you've paid for deserves a rant. Everyone should be up in arms. It's sad to live in a world where this type of DRM is accepted

#7682 7 years ago

So when exactly is the key necessary? I've installed five ColorDMDs, and I've never had to deal with a key. I just moved a ColorDMD from WPT to MET the other day, and I didn't have to deal with a key then either.

#7683 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So when exactly is the key necessary?

All displays shipped on or after May, 2013 already have an 8 digit product key that works for all 43 currently available rom files. If you check the Info screen on the ColorDMD and it shows an 8 digit product key then updating should be a breeze.

The SM rom file is very large and not only requires the 1.3B ColorDMD PCB but also to write down and then re-enter the same 8 digit product key after updating to the SM rom file.

#7684 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If that was the only time I was stuck entering a key, I'd agree. Unfortunately it's far from the case. Any DRM that requires emailing someone to use what you've paid for deserves a rant. Everyone should be up in arms. It's sad to live in a world where this type of DRM is accepted

The only time a key needs to be entered is when you're upgrading an old display that was originally sold to work with one particular game only. Remember that the first colorDMDs would only work on the game you bought it for. They did us a HUGE favor by changing it so that you could move the display to other games by uploading different firmware. All you had to do was unlock the display *once* by entering a key. A key they would email within hours of you sending the unlock code.

If you've had to enter multiple keys, that means you had multiple old displays that were locked to their original games, and had to be unlocked to make them universal. Would you have preferred colorDMD simply left the old displays locked to their original game so you COULDN'T move them? ColorDMD does everyone a solid and all you can do is bitch about a few minutes entering codes? (ok the code entry/switch debounce issue is bad, but still...)

#7685 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So when exactly is the key necessary? I've installed five ColorDMDs, and I've never had to deal with a key. I just moved a ColorDMD from WPT to MET the other day, and I didn't have to deal with a key then either.

If something goes wrong/glitches during the rom update process, sometimes the key can get blanked and need re-entering -- even on roms that aren't spiderman. It shouldn't be common, but it can happen.

For displays that were made/shipped before they started shipping with sigma on them, you have to get a key to be able to load a different rom onto the display because the key isn't readily apparent in the older original roms -- but in those cases you can request a key before you try to flash anything so that you don't have any downtime.

#7686 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Everyone should be up in arms. It's sad to live in a world where this type of DRM is accepted

17gegu_(resized).jpg17gegu_(resized).jpg

#7687 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If every time (or even every other time) a Color DMD was installed or updated I would agree with you. Sounds like a pretty small percentage of error though. I have seven, have moved them to different machines, updated ROMs, never an issue.

I get the frustration, but I think you are creating a mountain out of a molehill. Write down the key before updating, problem solved.

#7688 7 years ago

Funny, how I'm seeing so many replies to "ignored user comment".

#7689 7 years ago

Ok guys trying to update colordmd and I first wrote down serial number, then inserted my USB stick and held the furthest left button down to wait for solid green light, but it keeps blinking. Not sure what to do because now dmd is all blacked out nothing on the screen.

#7690 7 years ago

Never mind, downloaded ROM again and tried and it worked. Must of not copied right when I downloaded it my my USB stick first. Now I had two green lights come on, then both went off and the "done" light illuminated. Thought only the blinking light that turns solid was the only light to be on? Oh well 3.4 is in now. Haven't noticed anything new yet.

Different question--- I have custom message turned on in settings, made a custom message and have yet to see it in attract mode since I have owned the game. It's on in settings but my custom message never is shown, anyone know why?

#7691 7 years ago

Alright, whose got that sweet dialed in, modded up pro or premium, and ready to leave this club and move to the GB bandwagon?

Contact me if you decide to leave this club, I think I want in.

#7692 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Different question--- I have custom message turned on in settings, made a custom message and have yet to see it in attract mode since I have owned the game. It's on in settings but my custom message never is shown, anyone know why?

I have a custom message on my Metallica too. Just takes a long time for it to come up in attract mode though.

#7693 7 years ago

I am getting ready to order more supplies for my MET LED Insert Mod. PM me if you would like me to include you in the order. If you want custom colors please PM me the list below with your color choices.

Colors available: RED, BLUE, ORANGE/AMBER, GREEN, PURPLE, NATURAL WHITE, WARM WHITE

SNAKE -
CROSS -
ELECTRIC CHAIR -
COFFIN -

Thanks!

Original Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-metallica-led-insert-mod-cross-chair-coffin-snake-1

MET_Insert_Mod_CU_(resized).jpgMET_Insert_Mod_CU_(resized).jpg

#7694 7 years ago

Thought I would be in the club by now but my NIB premium appears to be lost, at least for now. I'm remaining optimistic, cuz, how do you lose a pinball machine right?

It shipped July 5th and made it to Los Angeles on the 7th, but hasn't moved since. I was getting some misinformation from R+L Carriers earlier in the week and finally got it out of them that they are "having trouble locating it" Hopefully JJ can light some fire under their asses because now he is sold out again, so if they don't find it I may be SOL for a bit...

#7695 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Ok I did a lamp test, checked for loose bulbs and wires and all checks out ok. Any other ideas? Here's a picture.

#7696 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Thought I would be in the club by now but my NIB premium appears to be lost, at least for now. I'm remaining optimistic, cuz, how do you lose a pinball machine right?
It shipped July 5th and made it to Los Angeles on the 7th, but hasn't moved since. I was getting some misinformation from R+L Carriers earlier in the week and finally got it out of them that they are "having trouble locating it" Hopefully JJ can light some fire under their asses because now he is sold out again, so if they don't find it I may be SOL for a bit...

Wow. That blows.
Keep us updated as to what happened.
That is way to long to sit at one terminal.

#7697 7 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

I have a custom message on my Metallica too. Just takes a long time for it to come up in attract mode though.

It never comes up...never. I watch the dmd through all the attract mode and never seen it appear.

#7698 7 years ago
Quoted from racerx12:

Ok I did a lamp test, checked for loose bulbs and wires and all checks out ok. Any other ideas? Here's a picture.

So, if you go into all lamp test does it light? If you go into single lamp test and scroll to lamp #35(Right ramp stand up R.) does it light and nothing else lights? Have you tried a new bulb?

#7699 7 years ago

You could also try re-seating the connectors at J12 and J13 on the power driver board(with power turned off, of course). Those have the row and column wires for that lamp.

#7700 7 years ago

Does anyone know exactly what kind of optos I'd have to buy to replace the ones on my sparky?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
San Antonio, TX
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/154 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.