C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 137 of 434.
#6801 8 years ago

Nice 3d Snake Mod.

#6802 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

He's right it does. I have the red light up one on my MET and it looks great bc it's clear and lights up when Sparky gets work done to him. I enjoy it.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think it does.

Can you show some pics?

#6803 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I don't think red wld look very good on met ? .

The red flashers look really good when you have a custom painted sparky that is darker and more gruesome. Burningman has red in his, and it looks amazing. He also has a really epic painted Sparky tho too

#6804 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think the game means a lot too.
I noticed the FF didn't sound like much of an improvement on met... Compared to my FF ac/doc.
I have not experimented with swapping out the stock music tho...

I've heard very few complaints about FF speakers not being an improvement, but it is likely relative to the specific game. For example, while Stern has improved sound quality with Spike, it is well known that sound reproduction on Whitestar/SAM Sterns is lesser quality than most 90's pins, particularly with Williams DCS. For example, I played an MM a while back where I noticed extra depth and clarity that I had never heard before ... the only difference was FF speakers, and the game really stood out. With ACDC, Stern made some effort to improve sound quality that was not carried over to other SAM games, so maybe that is why FF speakers sound relatively better on it than in Metallica.

#6805 8 years ago

I bought the FF speakers for my METLE, noticed a much better sound over stock speakers, but everyone has different ideas on what sounds good. Get in someones car and the stereo is always adjusted differently than you like it. Metallica doesn't seem to benefit from the powered sub like my Star Trek or Iron Man does.

#6806 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

it is well known that sound reproduction on Whitestar/SAM Sterns is lesser quality than most 90's pins, particularly with Williams DCS

SAM has better frequency response than DCS, which cuts off around 9khz. SAM has superior sound, although DCS (designed in the early 90s) is technologically superior compression.

FF kits are garbage IMHO. My MetLE came with a kit and it sounded muddy. Too much bass, not enough mids or highs and the backbox speakers were underutilized. A person is better off simply replacing the factory backbox speakers with coaxial models and adding an external sub.

#6807 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The red flashers look really good when you have a custom painted sparky that is darker and more gruesome. Burningman has red in his, and it looks amazing. He also has a really epic painted Sparky tho too

I believe they are talking about a red apron ? Not flashers which is y I wanna see pictures ....

#6808 8 years ago

The red translucent apron kick's ass heres a pic. When Sparky is hit it flashes also it pulses.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6809 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

SAM has better frequency response than DCS, which cuts off around 9khz. SAM has superior sound, although DCS (designed in the early 90s) is technologically superior compression.

Not sure about superior... maybe marginally better in some areas and worse in others. Road Show sounds better than most Sterns (the only WPC I have owned).

Quoted from metallik:

FF kits are garbage IMHO. My MetLE came with a kit and it sounded muddy. Too much bass, not enough mids or highs and the backbox speakers were underutilized. A person is better off simply replacing the factory backbox speakers with coaxial models and adding an external sub.

Sounds like a crossover adjustment is needed. FF speakers are coax, so it's misleading to say someone is better off doing exactly that.

#6810 8 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

`Hey Guys..
just wanted to show you a sneak peek of our 3D Snake plastics which will soon be available..
enjoy!

Look forward to the release.

UtwgFS8_(resized).jpgUtwgFS8_(resized).jpg

#6811 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

He's right it does. I have the red light up one on my MET and it looks great bc it's clear and lights up when Sparky gets work done to him. I enjoy it.

I actually put more and bigger led pads under it so it REALLY lights up when he gets fried.

#6812 8 years ago

I could not be any more excited, I have resigned my position and left the U.S.S Enterprise behind, and joined the ranks of the Metallica Crew. I hope you guys approve.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#6813 8 years ago

That is a sweet looking MET! Congrats!

#6814 8 years ago

Looks awesome! Can't wait to play it. Congrats!

#6815 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I could not be any more excited, I have resigned my position and left the U.S.S Enterprise behind, and joined the ranks of the Metallica Crew. I hope you guys approve.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

I have Refinery #009. Your gonna have fun.

#6816 8 years ago

TBK Edition #001
(Only version produced, but I did not get a plaque)

Metallica_Premium_Heavily_Modified_(resized).jpgMetallica_Premium_Heavily_Modified_(resized).jpg

#6817 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Have fun!

#6818 8 years ago

Sooooooo 3 years since I bought Metre and still so in Love , my opinion is that it's simply The best !

14611326174321333090168_(resized).jpg14611326174321333090168_(resized).jpg

#6819 8 years ago

You need to treat that thing to a colordmd!

#6820 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

and my leg light-ups.

#6821 8 years ago

Where can I find the colored gel inserts?

#6822 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

If ya Google color gel films, they are available in sheets for a few bucks online. Just cut them and slide between bulb and insert.

#6823 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

As yzfguy mentioned you can google and find them in sheets or you can just order them from here - http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica/products/gels

The glare is hard to tell in your pics but it looks like you still have a turtle in your game vs a snake. Fix that with these -
http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica/products/fangs
and
http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica/products/met-snake-decal

Another option is to replace the lights using these - http://cointaker.com/products/stern-spike-led

#6824 8 years ago

Thanks guys

#6825 8 years ago

20160415_193117_(resized).png20160415_193117_(resized).png

#6826 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

20160415_193117_(resized).png

That looks interesting. Where did ya get the crosses?

#6827 8 years ago

I agree that leaving the backbox speakers stock is best, but the FF cabinet speaker is great. I think the best approach (which I hope to try soon) is an external subwoofer, FF cabinet woofer and stock backbox speakers.

#6828 8 years ago

So I'm guessing that the spike leds look much better than the gel inserts ?
The inserts look weak and dull , maybe I'm wrong anyone have pics of either?

#6829 8 years ago

The gels look cool on the fuel meter, but do
look a little dull on the mystery insert IMO
I have red gel in the fuel inserts too and although they dim them slightly, I like the look.

#6830 8 years ago

Anyone figure out a fix for this?....
My metprem gats a ball stuck occasionally on the right side if the cross. The cross will try to raise up on ball search, but it remains stuck in that little nook of the surrounding plastic. My concern is damage to the motor when the kids are playing and I'm not home, as the cross seems to strain and keep trying until the power is shut off.
I have been contemplating attaching a clear plastic to a nearby post, or a wire across that space to deflect the ball, but thought maybe someone had a neat solution

#6831 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Anyone figure out a fix for this?....
My metprem gats a ball stuck occasionally on the right side if the cross. The cross will try to raise up on ball search, but it remains stuck in that little nook of the surrounding plastic. My concern is damage to the motor when the kids are playing and I'm not home, as the cross seems to strain and keep trying until the power is shut off.
I have been contemplating attaching a clear plastic to a nearby post, or a wire across that space to deflect the ball, but thought maybe someone had a neat solution

You should be getting a magnet pulse as the ball reaches the cross area to grab the ball away towards the flippers. Test the functionality and response of the sensor.

#6832 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

You should be getting a magnet pulse as the ball reaches the cross area to grab the ball away towards the flippers. Test the functionality and response of the sensor.

Sorry, I should have clarified...it doesn't happen from a shot to the grave marker, it happens occasionally from an airball that lands on or near the cross and the wrap around plastic behind it. I do get the pulse you speak of, but the ball is on top of the right "arm" of the cross and held in that spot by the plastic.

#6833 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Sorry, I should have clarified...it doesn't happen from a shot to the grave marker, it happens occasionally from an airball that lands on or near the cross and the wrap around plastic behind it. I do get the pulse you speak of, but the ball is on top of the right "arm" of the cross and held in that spot by the plastic.

Based your description this is a personal game specific airball problem. I rarely have air balls in that region. One thing that can eliminate the problem from a flipper bounce shot is replacement flipper bat rings of a softer nature, and ensuring the rings are dead centered on the bats themselves. Otherwise, you can going to have to watch and see what the repeat cause is on your game. Bent guide, post, or what not.

#6834 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I agree that leaving the backbox speakers stock is best, but the FF cabinet speaker is great. I think the best approach (which I hope to try soon) is an external subwoofer, FF cabinet woofer and stock backbox speakers.

You really only need the powdered sub as its much more intense than the cab speaker...plus the stock cab speaker puts out alot of nice mids and voice bc its a ful range. You cant even tell you have a ff cab sub with a powered sub hooked up

#6835 8 years ago

I used to add Pinball Pro and Flipper Fidelity kits to my games, but I've been going strictly with external powered subs for a while now. I'm in no way knocking the upgraded speakers, but I find the external sub to be the most cost effective solution for good sound. Just buy one sub for every two games, hook them up to the cabinet speaker with alligator clips, and you're good to go.

#6836 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That looks interesting. Where did ya get the crosses?

Custom 3d printed.

I bought the cross set, and was so underwhelmed in the quality and look of them I had a friend print some for me.

I've since painted the crosses on the inside with glass paint (to colour match the insert or bulb they are closest to), and then coated the outside edges with clear UV reactive varnish.

I have UV flashers in Sparky, as well as a UV LED strip above him, so they really highlight the edges well.

As soon as I finish the last few I'll try posting a vid of them in action.

#6837 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Custom 3d printed.
I bought the cross set, and was so underwhelmed in the quality and look of them I had a friend print some for me.
I've since painted the crosses on the inside with glass paint (to colour match the insert or bulb they are closest to), and then coated the outside edges with clear UV reactive varnish.
I have UV flashers in Sparky, as well as a UV LED strip above him, so they really highlight the edges well.
As soon as I finish the last few I'll try posting a vid of them in action.

Cool, yes please post.

#6838 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You really only need the powdered sub as its much more intense

Do you have to add water to this powdered sub?

#6839 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

So I'm guessing that the spike leds look much better than the gel inserts ?
The inserts look weak and dull , maybe I'm wrong anyone have pics of either?

I have the gels and will be replacing them with the spike LED's. I'm not real happy with the gels look as they do look fairly dull.

#6840 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I have the gels and will be replacing them with the spike LED's. I'm not real happy with the gels look as they do look fairly dull.

Can you use the Spike LED's in the LED pro?

#6841 8 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Can you use the Spike LED's in the pro?

No need as the pro doesn't use light boards. It uses the standard bulb sockets so it's much easier for you to make changes.

#6842 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

No need as the pro doesn't use light boards. It uses the standard bulb sockets so it's much easier for you to make changes.

It does appear that I can easily change the color of the leds bulbs. All I would like to do is change the white leds on the cross, chair , coffin ,snake, and the fuel inserts.
Any bulb & color recommendations for these inserts .

#6843 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I finally get the money .. They are out of stock.

#6844 7 years ago

Well after a year and a half of watching this thread and waiting to join I can finally say I'm a noob member.
My grail was the METLE but got tired of saving for one and the fact the more I saved the higher the prices went. Kinda like chasing a ball down hill
This MET Pro popped up yesterday only a few minutes from my house. Thanks to fellow pinside member Manbearpig the wait is over!!!
Purple Powder coated armor, EL wire on Sparky, Coin Taker Leds, Shaker motor, mirror blades, upgraded speakers & subwoofer, green aftermarket apron, snake fangs and under cabinet led flasher kit. Didn't even get it set up yet. Have to wait until tomorrow.

IMG_2566_(resized).JPGIMG_2566_(resized).JPG

#6845 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

My metprem gats a ball stuck occasionally on the right side if the cross.

That's happened 2 times on mine as well (in about 600 games). I haven't done it yet, but one solution would be to have a small plastic "door" over that area with a spring-loaded hinge. The door would prevent the ball from getting in there when the cross is down. The hinged door would open as the cross raises, and close when the cross goes back down.

#6846 7 years ago

Just got my Led Pro today, This is my first NIB . All I can say is Wow.. Awesome action Play-field has some defects near flippers, Sparky's head spring was twisted so he looked like he was looking over his shoulder and paint scuff on head corner above translite out of the box.

This being my first stern is their any settings in the menu that are a must ? I found it a little overwhelming with all the setting adjustments. I just left it in default for now

#6847 7 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Just got my Led Pro today, This is my first NIB . All I can say is Wow.. Awesome action Play-field has some defects near flippers, Sparky's head spring was twisted so he looked like he was looking over his shoulder and paint scuff on head corner above translite out of the box.
This being my first stern is their any settings in the menu that are a must ? I found it a little overwhelming with all the setting adjustments. I just left it in default for now

Sorry to hear about your miss-hasps. If there are defects on the PF you better call your distributor and or Stern.

#6848 7 years ago

I did....called Automated. I was told to write and email and he said I might get a plastic set, I wasn't sure what to say or ask for. This is my first pin . I also noticed played seemed to get alot of ball swirls on the playfield around fuel meter after 15 mins of play. I did use pinball life balls and not sterns....I understand its a metal on wood game and things happen.... Is this stuff normal ? Game was made 08/15

#6849 7 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

I did....called Automated. I was told to write and email and he said I might get a plastic set, I wasn't sure what to say or ask for. This is my first pin . I also noticed played seemed to get alot of ball swirls on the playfield around fuel meter after 15 mins of play. I did use pinball life balls and not sterns....I understand its a metal on wood game and things happen.... Is this stuff normal ? Game was made 08/15

See thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-inserts-lifting

#6850 7 years ago

I don't think that's my problem.....Its more like a haze...I tried to wax it..... no change. Is their a way to remove hazing marks on the play-field?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 149.00
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 137 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/137 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.