Topic Stats

• 17,191 posts
  • 959 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,943 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AD7C5EAA-16FB-4FEE-AA98-7714687D0538 (resized).jpeg
AD43465E-F523-4444-AAF5-8EF60E341772 (resized).jpeg
EBFC9F4E-6334-49DF-9FAE-9F4546D2FA26 (resized).jpeg
C983082E-5120-4A3C-9B68-EB491421D7E7 (resized).jpeg
3508fb180bb5eddd6ce77b68e97d976e00ff52fd.jpeg (resized).jpg
EF82459E-3D35-4C2F-A1A4-D5A5AF738B5B (resized).jpeg
12F2F3CA-9A84-4A07-8498-CDFCAD6BB449 (resized).jpeg
BDAA4093-FC41-4AF3-98C0-C8F4AFE06BC5 (resized).jpeg
5B2DBA3D-D33B-4FA3-B478-0C8902164D28.jpeg
08A2353A-227F-4471-B644-99250F8CD1ED (resized).jpeg
EE77AE9B-F9D2-4417-95C1-487A0003B0A6 (resized).jpeg
C2778CF1-BE72-4435-A7A3-956014D956D6 (resized).jpeg
EB43D533-A925-4165-9D81-02CB119BFBFD (resized).jpeg
FA45EFDB-A47E-43E1-93E9-D6B9E5A82DA2 (resized).jpeg
Dp4gQ5MU4AAC7vo (resized).jpg
20200106_232456 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 17191 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 344.
#5501 4 years ago

Bought one already Gina, looks like I'm the first. Saw it on Facebook and bought it.

#5502 4 years ago

Been having some great games since the sound has improved with the PinSub kit.
Question :
If my alligator clips were fed through the power cord hole. That means the clips were soldered after the wires were fed through correct? Looks like I will have to clip off the alligator clips to get them through. PR did my game after buying.

#5503 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Been having some great games since the sound has improved with the PinSub kit.
Question :
If my alligator clips were fed through the power cord hole. That means the clips were soldered after the wires were fed through correct? Looks like I will have to clip off the alligator clips to get them through. PR did my game after buying.

Hmm. Just pull the the clips out the coin door.. and the rest of the wire will feed through the power cable hole in the back.. why do it the other way.. ?

#5504 4 years ago

I installed my Pinnovators Sub kit the other day as well. Install was super easy, but I have a metal backbox with small holes as a vent in my MET Prem. I had to run the 3.5mm cable down the backbox into the cabinet and feed through a mesh vent, as it wouldn't fit through the power cord hole either.

I removed the alligator clip setup and noticed right away my sub was going crazy and much louder then the alligator clip method. Had to turn it way down.

By cleaning up the sub signal and using less amplification on the sub itself, you will get cleaner bass and less distortion. It sounds a little better to me, but I did it because of the peace of mind having it wired correctly versus cheese ball alligator clips.

#5505 4 years ago

My sub wires are sodered and the bass hits hard can't imagine it hiting harder but im all ears if it does whats the trick on turning up the highs to match the bass

#5506 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Hmm. Just pull the the clips out the coin door.. and the rest of the wire will feed through the power cable hole in the back.. why do it the other way.. ?

There are clips on the other end, the end where they connect to the Polk sub. I had Gio at PR put the wiring through the powercord hole in back of cabinet.Now he put the wiring in with the main wiring bundle, so have to clip off the alligator clips to get the wiring back through the hole. Oh well, if I need them again, I will solder them back together. Just wanted to know if anyone else had there wiring ran through the powdercord hole.

Also, what is a good replacement for backbox speakers? Just the backbox.

#5507 4 years ago

All this talk about subs is making me hungry.

#5508 4 years ago

Im trying to figure out if anyone would say that Metallica Premium is similiar to ST premium , game play and shots.

#5509 4 years ago

Don't have ST prem but I have the pro version. Plays nothing like my Met LE. Completely different feel and game play.

#5510 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Im trying to figure out if anyone would say that Metallica Premium is similiar to ST premium , game play and shots.

Um, no on both. Both great games but they shoot and play very differently.

#5511 4 years ago

I'm not saying that they do, I'm trying to find out ..I have never played Metallica Premium and thought maybe the ramps and sparky shots might feel similar to ramps and vengeance shots.

#5512 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I'm not saying that they do, I'm trying to find out ..I have never played Metallica Premium and thought maybe the ramps and sparky shots might feel similar to ramps and vengeance shots.

To me, MET shoots similar to MM, and probably dozens of other games... But really, you just need to get your hands on one to know.

I was really thinking I preferred AC/DC over MET based on videos and suggestions but after playing both, MET was the game for me with no regrets.

#5513 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Not even close. Both very different.

#5514 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Almost opposite.

Vengence shot = a bit challenging. Not hard but not an easy shot.
Sparky = Wide open and pretty easy to hit

ST ramps = Hard to miss unless you are just off with your aim that game.
MET Ramps = Pretty tight and frustrating as hell to try and repeat.

#5515 4 years ago

I had a Star Trek Premium, and have a METLE. Nothing at all like each other in the slightest.

#5516 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Almost opposite.
Vengence shot = a bit challenging. Not hard but not an easy shot.
Sparky = Wide open and pretty easy to hit
ST ramps = Hard to miss unless you are just off with your aim that game.
MET Ramps = Pretty tight and frustrating as hell to try and repeat.

This helps alot, good to know .
I do need to just go play one I suppose.

#5517 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Absolutely the best thing to do.

#5518 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

To me, MET shoots similar to MM, and probably dozens of other games... But really, you just need to get your hands on one to know.
I was really thinking I preferred AC/DC over MET based on videos and suggestions but after playing both, MET was the game for me with no regrets.

You must play ALOT of pinball to actually prefer one game over another game based on vids and other people's opinions. My hats off to you!

#5519 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

This helps alot, good to know .

If you ever drive up north a bit to Mesa, you can come play my premium.

#5520 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You must play ALOT of pinball to actually prefer one game over another game based on vids and other people's opinions. My hats off to you!

Uh, in his defense, he did say he has played both, and preferred Met. You didn't read his post entirely!

#5521 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Uh, in his defense, he did say he has played both, and preferred Met. You didn't read his post entirely!

Eventually yes, but he initially stated "Based on vids and opinions" he preferred ACDC. Only after he played both did he realize that liked met better.

#5522 4 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

My sub wires are sodered and the bass hits hard can't imagine it hiting harder but im all ears if it does whats the trick on turning up the highs to match the bass

Hey Delta you were wondering how hard the Pinnovators sub connection would effect your sub well I just hooked one up to my ST Pro that had your set up, I left the sub at the same volume level as when I had the clips on the cab speaker and I thought my game was going to explode, there was a HUGE difference. So buy a kit for your MET for sure. I'm putting another kit on my MET next and expect the same results or even more cuz the sub on MET is a 12 inch. I'm a believer in the kit now.

#5523 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Does the premium have powder coated armor?

It IS powder coated black.
It you want the half moon protectors from Stern, they are $15, and also powder coated to match. You will never see a difference from the full version rails.
Stern did skimp on some of the full backbox chrome for the new metal backboxes, so you will have to add it back.

If you are talking about the LE, it is is grey hammer armored.

The "ultimate" armor is definately the purple candy coat to match the cabinet, but another $500...

#5524 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I installed my Pinnovators Sub kit the other day as well. Install was super easy, but I have a metal backbox with small holes as a vent in my MET Prem. I had to run the 3.5mm cable down the backbox into the cabinet and feed through a mesh vent, as it wouldn't fit through the power cord hole either.
I removed the alligator clip setup and noticed right away my sub was going crazy and much louder then the alligator clip method. Had to turn it way down.
By cleaning up the sub signal and using less amplification on the sub itself, you will get cleaner bass and less distortion. It sounds a little better to me, but I did it because of the peace of mind having it wired correctly versus cheese ball alligator clips.

Why did you not just run it through the cord hole on the top of backbox were the plastic plug used for premium toppers is located?

Easy to disconnect and remove the cord when needed, you cannot see it, and tie the cord to the right rear legs with a zip tie.

#5525 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Delta you were wondering how hard the Pinnovators sub connection would effect your sub well I just hooked one up to my ST Pro that had your set up, I left the sub at the same volume level as when I had the clips on the cab speaker and I thought my game was going to explode, there was a HUGE difference. So buy a kit for your MET for sure. I'm putting another kit on my MET next and expect the same results or even more cuz the sub on MET is a 12 inch. I'm a believer in the kit now.

You are now more a believer in understanding basic electrical circuit and signal theory, which is the greater benefit. The board just properly applied the concepts.

The next time somebody shows you their "awesum rad" sound system using alligator clips and flashes you the devil's horns sign with their hand, you can correct them as you can say "let me help".

#5526 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I was quickly having to turn the volume on the Polk down as with the clips, the volume was 3/4 to max. With this sub kit, Polk volume 1/4 and machine volume at 35, sounds great and bass hits real hard and clear. Now to change the backbox speakers, and get some better highs. Any recommendations on just backbox speakers for the MET?

#5527 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I was quickly having to turn the volume on the Polk down as with the clips, the volume was 3/4 to max. With this sub kit, Polk volume 1/4 and machine volume at 35, sounds great and bass hits real hard and clear. Now to change the backbox speakers, and get some better highs. Any recommendations on just backbox speakers for the MET?

I had a similar experience with the PinSub kit - Polk sub gain/volume way down now which should theoretically equal less distorted bass. Sounds a little better to me.

I also don't think better backbox speakers will make a difference. Problem is the game is in mono, and the sound is downgraded to 22KHz audio. The highs and mids are lost during this down conversion, and better speakers won't sound much better as the reason the quality isn't great is simply the audio being pumped through the speakers itself. You would essentially be polishing a turd by spending money on new backbox speakers.. IMHO.

#5528 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I had a similar experience with the PinSub kit - Polk sub gain/volume way down now which should theoretically equal less distorted bass. Sounds a little better to me.
I also don't think better backbox speakers will make a difference. Problem is the game is in mono, and the sound is downgraded to 22KHz audio. The highs and mids are lost during this down conversion, and better speakers won't sound much better as the reason the quality isn't great is simply the audio being pumped through the speakers itself. You would essentially be polishing a turd by spending money on new backbox speakers.. IMHO.

Good points, thanks.

#5529 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Buy you could still improve it by sending the signal from the game to a powered amp/eq, like for a car then to the new speakers.

#5530 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I will combine a couple of points.
Yes, you can improve the gain of the panel speakers but DO NOT use automotive 4 ohm speakers or you will eventually damage your MPU board on Stern SAM games.
You are looking for 8 ohm speakers for your backbox, or have to convert speaker to equivalency.

You can improve your mid range with Pinball Pro or Flipper Fidelity speaker kits and have volume control, but those are added cost.
Try not to go past 55 on the volume in the game options in any case or you will see problems.
I keep mine at 50 for "real" game play, especially if using the external subwoofer.
The spinners are ridiculous with the bass.
You can adjust the call out against the music, but everybody has their preferences.
I prefer to raise the callouts (negative numbers) by 10, and reduce the music by 5 (positive numbers), while keeping the base music at 1.

You can use a amplifier to your panel speakers, but be careful as you can blow them out, especially if they are not soundly secured against the panel. Even then I had to use rubber insulation rings to absorb some of the vibration and keep things from rattling with distortion.
Anti-rattle tape for the playfield glass becomes important at a certain point as well.

Basically you have a ton of different options.

If you want to get expensive beyond what is offered by PP or FF, you can make your own kit with an amplifier.
Probably another $200 or so.

#5531 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm a believer in the kit now.

Glad you like it, I about crapped myself when I first fired it up on that little pioneer 8". It almost makes me wanna try thier passive splitter, N see how well it works..

#5532 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Are you getting clearer sound or just more sound? Having a hard time understanding if the sound is cleaner or if it is just louder with it.

I.E. - Does it have the same sound quality to where you have the alligator clips on with the sub at 3/4 volume as it does with the board and the sub at 1/4 volume.

#5533 4 years ago

Can someone tell me what this post is that sticks out the back? I was adjusting the post that pops up to be level with the playfield and noticed this post coming out the back. Thanks.

Quoted from 85vett:

Are you getting clearer sound or just more sound? Having a hard time understanding if the sound is cleaner or if it is just louder with it.
I.E. - Does it have the same sound quality to where you have the alligator clips on with the sub at 3/4 volume as it does with the board and the sub at 1/4 volume.

I have to say, much cleaner and I hear more sounds. Plus it's a proper electrical connection, which gives piece of mind, like stated in above posts. I like it. I have my machine volume set at 32 and it rocks. I put it at 40 and you can feel air hitting your legs.

1452276159464110079853_(resized).jpg

#5534 4 years ago

That post in the back looks to be a ball deflector in case the ball gets stuck on top of the Up/Down post underneath it. Without that post there the stuck ball may hit the glass during a ball search. That's my guess to why the post is there.

#5535 4 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

That post in the back looks to be a ball deflector in case the ball gets stuck on top of the Up/Down post underneath it. Without that post there the stuck ball may hit the glass during a ball search. That's my guess to why the post is there.

Good guess, I believe you're correct. Don't see any other purpose it would serve.

#5536 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I upgraded mine and felt it sounded better. Those stock cheesy 4" drivers don't accurately reproduce highs. The big question is does the clarity outweigh the cost? Moving forward music pins would prolly be the only games I would personally change the speakers on, but that's just my opinion. would your average joe notice or care about the upgrade? No. Mute point but the upgraded speakers look a lot better if you have the speaker led lights on em too

#5537 4 years ago

What about just changing the cabinet and back box speakers with the Flipper Fidelity 8" coaxial system? Includes all 3 speakers and they have to be much better than the stock POS's. Still use the external sub but the highs and the mids should be better with these upgrades right?

#5538 4 years ago

Edit: yea, I would imagine the coaxial system would help improve while still using external sub

#5539 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

If you ever drive up north a bit to Mesa, you can come play my premium.

Thanks Jeff, I may take u up on that .

#5540 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I think so but my hearing isn't the best....to many race cars and live bands.

#5541 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I put it at 40 and you can feel air hitting your legs.

10-4 on that one.

#5542 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I just installed this yesterday and it does sound much cleaner and louder, and you know that you have it hooked up much safer then the alligator clips, you can't beat the price for what you get, I believe this is a must have if you are going to hook up the Polk sub, thank you guys for all the info on this mod

#5543 4 years ago

Is there any "easy" way to adjust the rubber end of the shooter rod? The ball isn't going all the way up the shooter lane and looked at the rubber tip which seems to be cockeyed. I tried bending it a little but wasn't much help. Auto fire works great so I think it's something with this tip hitting the ball at an angle and causing it to misfire up the lane. Only happens when I pull the shooter rod to start a new game/ ball.

#5544 4 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

Is there any "easy" way to adjust the rubber end of the shooter rod? The ball isn't going all the way up the shooter lane and looked at the rubber tip which seems to be cockeyed. I tried bending it a little but wasn't much help. Auto fire works great so I think it's something with this tip hitting the ball at an angle and causing it to misfire up the lane. Only happens when I pull the shooter rod to start a new game/ ball.

Try a new tip, that one is shot.

#5545 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Try a new tip, that one is shot.

That would suck. Just got the game over Thanksgiving

#5546 4 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

I had this issue too... Pretty sure I fixed it by re-aiming the shooter. Loosen the three mounting bolts and adjust.

I don't recall for sure, but it was not a drastic repair. Never had the problem since. Before, I could not get the ball around the loop for the super skill shot.

#5547 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I had this issue too... Pretty sure I fixed it by re-aiming the shooter. Loosen the three mounting bolts and adjust.
I don't recall for sure, but it was not a drastic repair. Never had the problem since. Before, I could not get the ball around the loop for the super skill shot.

Yup that's probably it. I haven't had to do that to mine yet and I've owned mine for over 2 years.

#5548 4 years ago

What do you guys set the music volume at in the adjustment menu?

#5549 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What do you guys set the music volume at in the adjustment menu?

Mine goes up and down like a yoyo depending who's over.

#5550 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Mine goes up and down like a yoyo depending who's over.

I'm not talking about the volume of the machine, I'm asking about the menu setting (standard settings) where it says 'music volume'?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.99
There are 17191 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 344.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside