IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 433.
#5451 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Help me out guys, on the fence deciding Premium or Pro , is there a big difference?
What about the big hammer blocking your view?
Let me know your personal preference and why.

Look at the feature list comparison on the Stern website. There is a big difference. The question is are the extras you get worth $2000? IMHO, yes. I want physical ball locks, the fancy LEDs, and other specialized assemblies, not to forget some of the artwork like the translite.

#5452 8 years ago

Go premium... But I have a le

Quoted from golfingdad1:

Help me out guys, on the fence deciding Premium or Pro , is there a big difference?

#5453 8 years ago

Wow this threads been busy!!!

#5454 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

That's going to be a personal preference. pro is great but I prefer the Prem/LE.

- Color changing GI - perfectly implemented into the game, Can be mirrored on the pro with the new GI kit.
- Moving cross - not really a value add. Can also be added with the new kit out
- Color changing inserts - really helps with knowing what those shots are for.
- Hammer - some love it while others hate it. I love it as it's cool to have the physical ball lock with the disappearing ball. Hammer doesn't block the view for me of anything but the pops area a bit. I'm on the shorter side though.
- Snake Jaw - often over looked in how it affects game play.
- Spinners - implemented well in the game with the sounds and helps during "fade to black". Can't believe spinners are an add on feature though...

Is the above worth $1500ish to you? If so, go prem. If not go pro.

#5455 8 years ago

I have only played the pro, and never even seen a premium or LE.
Sounds likes a big difference, I know I could look at the spec sheet to compare but that's nowhere as good as hearing from the players/ owners.

#5456 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

the Pro's coffin arguably plays better than the premium/LE.

The prem/LE can be set to play exactly like the pro as it relates to the hammer. Just a FYI. Me personally, I will take an unrecognized lock shot every now and then vs the ball going in and out of the snakes mouth 100% of the time. It's a trade off but you can adjust the code to cover for the lock issues if your game has it.

I'm still not 100% convinced their is an actual issue with the mech. Seems more like the call outs being wrong that makes people think it isn't working. For instance, when I hear "lock is lit" I always have to hit the captive ball one more time before the hammer is active. It then catches the ball nearly 90% of the time I hit the captive ball again. It's almost like the call out for "lock is lit" should be "light lock light is lit". Very odd.

#5457 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I have only played the pro, and never even seen a premium or LE.
Sounds likes a big difference, I know I could look at the spec sheet to compare but that's nowhere as good as hearing from the players/ owners.

Invite yourself to Jeffreez house. He's got a Prem/LE just south of you Looks like several in Phoenix as well that maybe someone would let you try out. May be worth it if you are on the fence and are OK with a short road trip.

#5458 8 years ago

Nothing wrong with the Pro, at all.

I'd never downgrade to it though, I love the extra features.

#5459 8 years ago

Sounds like everyone so far agrees that the upgrades are worth it in this , pro vs premium , case.

#5460 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The prem/LE can be set to play exactly like the pro as it relates to the hammer. Just a FYI. Me personally, I will take an unrecognized lock shot every now and then vs the ball going in and out of the snakes mouth 100% of the time. It's a trade off but you can adjust the code to cover for the lock issues if your game has it.
I'm still not 100% convinced their is an actual issue with the mech. Seems more like the call outs being wrong that makes people think it isn't working. For instance, when I hear "lock is lit" I always have to hit the captive ball one more time before the hammer is active. It then catches the ball nearly 90% of the time I hit the captive ball again. It's almost like the call out for "lock is lit" should be "light lock light is lit". Very odd.

I bought a pro before I knew about the latest premium run, and have thrown a lot at it. Things I've added that make it more like a premium LE are the spinners (although they are tapped into the 1st and last pick targets), TimeBandit's matrix intercepter GI (which emulates the LE GI, and other lighting depending on the code you run) and can also run the rising cross (which I've added.) My pro is missing the hammer and the snake lock. Of the two, I think the snake lock is the biggest issue. After having played a MoP LE, I'm not a huge fan of the hammer. I love the concept, but the execution (at least on this game) felt weak. Also, I had a hard time seeing the left ramp and the sparky shot from the right flipper w/ the hammer.

#5461 8 years ago

I went with a Pro from the upcoming January run which should be hopefully arriving shortly. I'm adding a bunch of fun stuff to it which brings up the total $$$ to basically a stock Premium, maybe even a little more.

But it's all personal and you really can't go wrong whatever you choose!

1. Total light show mod (replicates the awesome Premium GI light show)
2. Color DMD
3. Pinball Refinery purple armor w/ laser cut Metallica logos on side rails and hinges
4. Creeping death lighting mod and side blades.
5. Shaker Motor
6. External Sub w/ Pinnovator hook-up kit
7. Pinball Decals chrome shooter rod assembly

#5462 8 years ago

Does the premium have powder coated armor?

#5463 8 years ago

No doubt premium is worth it! The biggest compliments on my MET Monsters Premium is #1 the hammer - when that thing goes off everyone flips out. #2 the functioning snake jaw- couldn't imagine it NOT doing that! #3 the LED light show is amazing- another huge compliment, and without it that would take a lot of the experience away #4 the rising cross is killer- must have for me.

IMO, do it right the first time and get all the goodies on it. If you don't, you will always have it in the back of your mind that you wish u would have gotten the complete game vs the bare bones one.

#5464 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Does the premium have powder coated armor?

No power coating, my 1 complaint.

I had the Pro, I was happy with it. But when the latest Premium run was announced I jumped & didn't look back. As said earlier, Pro is great. Premium almost worth it, depending on if you have the $$$.

I always look at it if you don't ever resell the features are worth it because they got used. If you do resell, it still should be worth more than a Pro.

#5465 8 years ago

To sum up: Alligator clips, phooey! Snake mod = good. Premium/LE = great. Pro model = also great!

#5466 8 years ago

Thanks for the input guys, not sure what I will do.

#5467 8 years ago

You will not regret the premium. Truly a pride of ownership, awesome gameplay, and a crowd pleaser.

#5468 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Trust me.. The Premium is worth the extra money and I've played both. A lot of people want to talk up the Pro because that's what they purchased, but the reality is, the Premium has the features that justify the cost. With the Pro once the new factory wears off and the honeymoon is over, you will always be wondering how much cooler the Premium is than the Pro (which it is). Not to mention, when your friends come over and see the hammer drop or the snake jaw "eat" the ball, and their reaction? Priceless. With the Pro all you have is sparky. No glorious LED light show, no moving cross, no moving snake, no hammer dropping and smashing ball into the coffin... just.. sparky.

#5469 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

There is most assuredly a problem with my coffin capture. If yours is working 90% of the time, consider yourself lucky. When you hear the callout "lock is lit" that indicates the sensing circuit is looking for the ball. I sometimes pass over the magnet (at relatively slow speeds) 5 or 6 times before a capture occurs.

Also, is it me or does it seem silly to say something is "lit" and not light up a lamp or flasher accordingly!

#5470 8 years ago

My coffin magnet and lock has worked perfect since day 1. My MET build is also November '15 (just got it) so maybe they fixed the issue?

#5471 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My coffin magnet and lock has worked perfect since day 1. My MET build is also November '15 (just got it) so maybe they fixed the issue?

Mine is Oct '15. Is your magnet board under the playfield (520-6801-00) Rev "D"?

#5472 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Probably a dumb question, but where do you find the build date? Received mine right before Thanksgiving but never though to look when it was built.

Quoted from golfingdad1:

My 1st NIB purchase. I was on the fence but went premium. So glad I did. Hammer is a non issue for me because it's just so cool seeing a ball smashed into the playfield. That's the first comment people always make. Highly recommend a shaker and color DMD for it at least.

#5473 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

where do you find the build date?

It's on the back of the cabinet.

#5474 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Mine is Oct '15. Is your magnet board under the playfield (520-6801-00) Rev "D"?

I'll have to check this out next time I open it up again.

#5475 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

Hammer is a non issue for me because it's just so cool seeing a ball smashed into the playfield. That's the first comment people always make. Highly recommend a shaker and color DMD for it at least.

Agreed- Hammer is a big attention grabber when it works, people love the trick when it smashes the ball into the playfield. Honestly, that + LED light show was worth the extra $ alone to me, then again, other people value features like that differently.

After fixing some squeaks and rattles, I turned the shaker back on - so glad I did! Definitely a good thing to have on this game.

Hands down the best mod is the ColorDMD though. The color is the best and my wife went as far as saying if I ever switched it back she wouldn't play the pin again, and she was serious lol

#5476 8 years ago

Ya the premium is very tempting, watched some video of game play with the Hammer, looks really cool actually.
Is it common place for the hammer to not work often, and what is the fix if so?

#5477 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Ya the premium is very tempting, watched some video of game play with the Hammer, looks really cool actually.
Is it common place for the hammer to not work often, and what is the fix if so?

Yeah, I was on the fence for quite a while and decided to get a MET Monsters Premium (don't like to see old sweaty guys on the Roadcase edition).
Played the MET Pro religiously every week for the last year or so at a local barcade with a couple friends (still not sick of it -- or my friends).

Couldn't find a MET Premium nearby so did a road trip to Portland solely to play a MET Premium.
GI lighting & inserts sold me on the Premium, so much better than the Pro, but I still like the Pro too & will probably continue to play it at the barcade. Unfortunately, the hammer didn't seem to work so never got that experience, although I've seen some videos of it in action.

#5478 8 years ago

Almost went pro and luckily found a premium. Couldn't be happier I did! Modding a pro to "kinda" be like a premium is silly to me. By the time you spend the money and time to get there, you could of probably bought a premium.

#5479 8 years ago

I had to wait almost 2 years to finally get my LE, but I have to say it was worth the wait. I got a very low use and babied HUO machine. It got delivered on Christmas eve, It was a surprise for my fiancé, Merry Christmas. The hammer, the snake and the LED's make the machine. We love it and are playing the sh__ out of it. I added a Pinnovators sub board and a Energy ESW-C10 sub on Christmas day and WOW does it thump..

My vote is Premium/LE ….

#5480 8 years ago

The Pro vs. Prem/LE discussion never seems to stop. I'm happy with my Pro, but I agree that the Prem/LE features are worth the extra cabbage. The nice thing about MET is that there are no significant gameplay differences (like Walker Bombs in TWD, or the kickback in ST). You're not "settling" by going Pro.

#5481 8 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

If ya spent ~5k on the game and ~100 bucks on a powered sub just do yourself a favor and spend the 35 on the pinnovator sub output board. I've got em on 2 games and they rock, much better than ghetto gator clips. Less than 5 min install, and you can pull it out just as fast to plop in another game for experimenting, or sale. Side note I had a pioneer sw-8 that was laughable runnin gator clips. Off the board it's formidable, big difference. Not a clue y

Did you run the wire out the top vent screen or dropped it into the cabinet and out the bottom vent screen?

I received my package from pinnovators, which was fast delivery, but was charged over $40 dollars when on the website clearly says 35 bucks shipped. Gonna install soon and report back.

#5482 8 years ago

1452011103400175252026_(resized).jpg1452011103400175252026_(resized).jpg

Man, want to hook up Pin Sub kit from Pinnovators and not sure what these big white boxes are, and looks like my subwoofer wires ( black and red wires) on the left coming out of the "power" plug. Shouldn't they be plugged into the " audio" plug on the board? What is this contraption here, and how do I get Lorenzo's sub kit hooked up? Thanks

#5483 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

1452011103400175252026_(resized).jpg
Man, want to hook up Pin Sub kit from Pinnovators and not sure what these big white boxes are, and looks like my subwoofer wires ( black and red wires) on the left coming out of the "power" plug. Shouldn't they be plugged into the " audio" plug on the board? What is this contraption here, and how do I get Lorenzo's sub kit hooked up? Thanks

http://pinnovators.com/manuals/PINsub_Installation_Manual_Version_1p2.pdf

#5484 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Did you run the wire out the top vent screen or dropped it into the cabinet and out the bottom vent screen?
I received my package from pinnovators, which was fast delivery, but was charged over $40 dollars when on the website clearly says 35 bucks shipped. Gonna install soon and report back.

Since the opening of our new website normal shipping charges are now on all purchases as we couldn't afford to keep eating them. We almost always ship the day of or day after purchase and most people have their product in two days from purchase. I will look at the new site and see if I can find the written error. It shouldn't say free shipping on the new website... If u found a old pinside posted that would be the only place I haven't gone around to correct.. Appreciate your purchase.
As for routing the wire I go right out the back of the head up top, that way if u ever move the game u can still fold the head down and your not dragging a sub wire around on the floor under the game. You can wrap it up leave it connected in the game and just throw it into the head opening when folded.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#5485 8 years ago

Those white boxes are preventing me of plugging in, see photo. I have read manual.

#5486 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Those white boxes are preventing me of plugging in, see photo. I have read manual.

On the other side of those white boxes will be your connections. Plug the connections into the adapter then adapter into the board. Email me at [email protected]

#5487 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

1452011103400175252026_(resized).jpg

The sub adapter plugs into behind the white boxes not the connector to the left of it. Unless I'm looking at this picture wrong, it looks like your not seeing the plugs are behind the white boxes

#5488 8 years ago

here it is. It's a very tight fit, kinda got things tugging. Let me know if it's right, and what settings for the Polk subwoofer?

1452013531008-1506685236_(resized).jpg1452013531008-1506685236_(resized).jpg

1452014153348-1485258863_(resized).jpg1452014153348-1485258863_(resized).jpg

#5489 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

here it is. It's a very tight fit, kinda got things tugging. Let me know if it's right, and what settings for the Polk subwoofer?

1452013531008-1506685236_(resized).jpg1452014153348-1485258863_(resized).jpg

What's the aftermarket harness on the left go to?

#5491 8 years ago

I didn't get a pm, but it looks to go to this adapter. The FTS adaptor. Is everything look good to power on from the photo above?

14520153099731219654335_(resized).jpg14520153099731219654335_(resized).jpg

#5492 8 years ago

wow!!! This sounds 100x better then the alligator clips, Wow its intense at volume 32, it's where I had it, and the external Polk wasn't living up to its potential I suppose. Highly recommend this, for a intense sound! Got the alligator clips taped, gotta get them out the game. They were fed through the hole where the power cord is. \m/ \m/

#5493 8 years ago

Never got the pm....just kinda crossed the fingers......and.. It's works! Sounds great man!

#5494 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Never got the pm....just kinda crossed the fingers......and.. It's works! Sounds great man!

Great... Enjoy
Hit me up through the website if u have any issues.
Thanks,
Lorenzo

#5495 8 years ago

I took the plunge and bought 3, should have them in a day or two. I would have ordered a couple more but those games weren't listed as being supported. Really interested to hear the sound difference, ST and MET thunder as it is.

#5496 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I took the plunge and bought 3, should have them in a day or two. I would have ordered a couple more but those games weren't listed as being supported. Really interested to hear the sound difference, ST and MET thunder as it is.

Keep your volume settings at there current positions and when you get it hooked up you will notice a better sound then with alligator clips. Quite a big difference, Iam very happy with the quality. . You have to free up the screen from the staple to get the cable in at the top rear of backbox. Report back on what you think?

#5497 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Keep your volume settings at there current positions and when you get it hooked up you will notice a better sound then with alligator clips. Quite a big difference, Iam very happy with the quality. . You have to free up the screen from the staple to get the cable in at the top rear of backbox. Report back on what you think?

I'll post when I get one in. Why does it sound better, because it goes into the subs RCA inputs, that High Z, Low Z thing or is it the board?

#5498 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll post when I get one in. Why does it sound better, because it goes into the subs RCA inputs, that High Z, Low Z thing or is it the board?

You are tapping a direct board to receive a "pure" mono signal (that is what the Pinnovators SAM sub board does, there is no amplification) that has no interference (essentially you are running two speaker sets), versus piggybacking. It has nothing to do with using shielded RCA connectors, which split the signal back again from the 3.5mm male connector.

Think of this way:
If you play music on a set of speakers that are already amplified, and then clip alligator clips on the back of the speakers to run more speakers off of those speakers what happens?
SIGNAL DEGRADATION and loss of amplification.
You can actually pick it up with your ears if you listen closely.
When a person wants to run additional speakers from a main sound system they usually end up using a dedicated amplifier board which provides independent outputs.
Same concept.

The subwoofer can still boost the signal, but not nearly has high as a pure signal that has not been touched.
That is why a small subwoofer can sound "mighty" by using the board instead of alligator clips, as it is just being used as it was supposed to be in the first place.
Many stereo systems have external dedicated subwoofer ports for the same reason.
(Well, that is not entirely true there is amplification on the MPU board but not nearly as high as a proper stereo amplifier, which is clearly demonstrated by the use of improved speakers such as Pinball Pro, which uses a control board)

I cannot speak for Pinnovators multi-subwoofer "black box", as I do not have one to review the internals beyond the website description.

#5499 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Late here but yea out the top's the way to go. Glad ya like it... I was pretty happy with mine screw those gator clips

#5500 8 years ago

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know that we just launched a new mod over at PinGraffix.com for MET PRO. A pinplug for the hole under the start button. I have a thread with the details here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-pingraffix-new-product-alert-pinplugs-for-met-pro

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.