C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 434.
#5301 8 years ago

I'm sure it's part of the game but just want to verify. The loud squelch sound, kinda like a car is peeling out. It's suppose to make that noise right?

#5302 8 years ago

free credit knocker..... I hate it

#5303 8 years ago
Quoted from Nickperkins:

I'm sure it's part of the game but just want to verify. The loud squelch sound, kinda like a car is peeling out. It's suppose to make that noise right?

The "fake" knocker. You can actually "retro" the game and use a REAL one if you have a spare and bracket lying around from an older WMS/BLY/Stern game with SAM MPU systems.

#5304 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Some gameplay showing smartdmd and GI theater mod
» YouTube video

Rensh, your game looks spectacular!

#5305 8 years ago

I teased a Metallica mod earlier in the year, and I then I put it on hold because Alien got so busy. Well I just can't go too long without doing a personal project, I start to go nuts otherwise. So I'm bringing it back to life, and the time off made me more ambitious in my thinking, so having a good time tinkering on it.

Hope to have something to show sometime early next year. Still loving my Metallica, still motivated to do work on ideas for it.

#5306 8 years ago

Whos got the trickest met with all the custom mods ? I wanna see a vid

#5307 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I teased a Metallica mod earlier in the year, and I then I put it on hold because Alien got so busy. Well I just can't go too long without doing a personal project, I start to go nuts otherwise. So I'm bringing it back to life, and the time off made me more ambitious in my thinking, so having a good time tinkering on it.
Hope to have something to show sometime early next year. Still loving my Metallica, still motivated to do work on ideas for it.

Please include the pro model for whatever your working on. I'm sure it will be a great mod for a great game!

#5308 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Rensh, your game looks spectacular!

Thanks !!!

#5309 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Nice vid, and now my wallet will soon be $500 lighter cause of that smartdmd..

SmartDMD will only set you back around 200-225 USD I expect
So you get to keep some money to keep your wife happy

#5310 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

My pro is pretty tricked out. I just got the snake decal and plastic to add too. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-promium-pics-mods

#5311 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

It does block those top two inlane insert lights.....thought I was the only one to really notice it since I don't disable the up post back there as I like that rule set. It's not horrible as I have to stand up a bit higher to see the ball working up there and get my lanes lit but heck a MOD to keep another MOD.....why not!!

I didn't notice any obstruction to the top lane lights but I am 6' 1"... I guess I can see over.

#5312 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

it was a long night

IMG_4413.jpgIMG_4416.jpgIMG_4415.jpg

Did you have to relocate one of the service rails to install that FF cabinet speaker?

Quoted from Aurich:

Hammer mod please

#5313 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5314 8 years ago

I just installed the snake mod last night and I think it looks awesome although for the shorter player it may block the rollover lane inserts but I can see them fine. Lol

#5315 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Please include the pro model for whatever your working on. I'm sure it will be a great mod for a great game!

This one should work on all models, no worries. Unless they made some changes I don't know about to the new style LED ones, but I doubt it.

My goal will be to have it be a must have for the "trickest Mets with all the mods"!

I talked with my friend last night who was going to cast them, he still wants to, just been busy. Hopefully we make it happen still.

#5316 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I didn't notice any obstruction to the top lane lights but I am 6' 1"... I guess I can see over.

Welp I'm 5'10" so yes.....a few more inches would grant you an advantage of seeing over that plastic. Buuuut I simply stand up a bit more forward and can get them in sight. So this MOD is more interactive in a physical sense

#5317 8 years ago

I'm 5"6 so ill try the plastic before I stick on the decal. Height is why I likely hate the hammer so and tricked my pro to have almost everything the premium offers minus the snack jaw and hammer lock.

#5318 8 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I'm 5"6 so ill try the plastic before I stick on the decal. Height is why I likely hate the hammer so and tricked my pro to have almost everything the premium offers minus the snack jaw and hammer lock.

I want a snack jaw!!

#5319 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I want a snack jaw!!

Lol phone typing at its best

#5320 8 years ago

Sounds like a mod for Creech lol

#5321 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

My MET Premium has about 100+ differences than stock, maybe I will make a video.
Some changes are internal including PCB boards, and items such as a real knocker installed in the lower cabinet.

There was already too much going in the backbox, and it is the new metal version. I am not drilling any more holes in it, like I had to do for my custom topper.

#5322 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

My MET Premium has about 100+ differences than stock, maybe I will make a video.
Some changes are internal including PCB boards, and items such as a real knocker installed in the lower cabinet.
There was already too much going in the backbox, and it is the new metal version. I am not drilling any more holes in it, like I had to do for my custom topper.

What colors did you change out the stock boards for? Thinking of going with blue for the electric chair inserts.

#5323 8 years ago

I felt like a psycho...within an hour of opening the box I was drilling holes for the topper

#5324 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ive been waiting for this one for awile! Cant wait to see what youve come up with.

#5325 8 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

What colors did you change out the stock boards for? Thinking of going with blue for the electric chair inserts.

Not LED boards, not inserts, and not new LEDS or strips (although I do that part too as well)

Controller boards. I use additional auxiliary PCBs to improve things from the factory that were never done. They can be as simple as a SAM remote controller PCB, or as complex as an independent homebrew PCB for light changing effects.

Aurich has probably done some of the same kind of things.
My games generally stay with me now for a long time if I put this kind of effort into modifications.
They are not all "plug and play".

#5326 8 years ago

Understood, like the pinduino board I have on Iron Man. Programmable to whatever you would like. I did purchase a spare kit, just haven't gotten around to playing with it.

#5327 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

My refinery Pro is pretty tricked out. The ramp leds are hooked up to 2 different Sparky flashers and the skull to another one.

IMGA09181.jpgIMGA09181.jpg

#5328 8 years ago

Here is a list of some of "baseline" things I did with my MET Monster Premium (late production run):

1) Metallica Deluxe Pinball Topper (Private custom, not copied)
2) Pinball Side Mirrors
3) Metallica Cliffy Protectors (Full Set)
4) Cliffy In lane Protectors (All lanes)
5) Pinball Pro Speaker Set with modified subwoofer + sound isolation kit (necessary to prevent vibration issues, speaker damage, and cracking)
6) Anti-Rattle Tape (mostly for the subwoofer and shaker motor, the glass coating does the rest)
7) ColorDMD (TM) + Clear Bezel + Bracket Standoff kit --->This is a MUST HAVE if you are serious about this game, the dot animation coloring is outstanding
8 ) Invisiglass (TM)
9) Metallica Master of Puppets “Cross Mod”
10) Keyed alike locks for both coin door and backbox (to match the rest of my collection)
11) New Pinball Premium Balls
12) Sparky Coil wiring Electric Chair Mod (Blue)
13) Metallica LED “Mini Speaker” Mod
14) Metallica “Snake Tongue” Mod
15) Metallica LED “Cemetery Arch” Mod
16) Stern CPU Pinball Power Tap (for LED backbox display)
17) Metallica “Snake Fang” Mod
18) Pop Bumper “Ride the Lightning” Mod
19) Metallica LED backbox display (Replaces Fluorescent Tube)
20) Metallica Plastic Protector Set + Additional Specialized oversized Clear Plastic Protectors for other plastics (most notably the hammer, snake plastic, and the back of the playfield)
21) Stern Target Splints (All Targets) (necessarily if you do not want "leaning" and target damage)
22) Metallica “Snake Plastic Mod and Decal” Mod
23) SAM remote controller PCB kit
24) Metallica Fluorescent “Dress Slings” and “Sparky Spider Web” PETG Protectors
25) Cross Drop Target metal slide Reinforcement Pads
26) Metallica Gel Inserts
27) Metallica LED Sound Controlled Speaker and Playfield Interactive Kit
28) Metallica Acrylic Speaker Stars
29) “Speed Shifter” Pinball Shooter Assembly
30) “Tachometer RPM” Mod
31) “James Hetfield Guitar” Mod
32) “Metallica Emblem” mod
33) Ball Trough Magnetization Protector
34) Stern Modified 12V auxiliary cabinet 8-way PCB board
35) SAM System Sound Controlled LED PCB board (playfield lighting at the ramps, apron, and end of ball functions)
36) Cabinet rewiring to clean up factory mistakes
37) Modified LED anti-vibration bulb sockets
38) Brite Buttons (Red)
39) Metallica Chrome Star Pop Bumper Caps
40) Stern “REAL” Knocker Mod
41) Customized Sparky
42) Customized Hammer
43) Stern Black Metal Powder-coated Cabinet Half Moon Flipper Button Protectors (I may upgrade all side armor someday...maybe)
44) Chrome Backbox Trim
45) Shaker Motor

And a whole bunch of other stuff and tweaks…roughly 100 hours or so of work.
I ended up stripping the playfield TWICE, and gutting the cabinet ONCE.
That is just off my memory.

From the factory is was "good", as I only found a few assembly problems and break ins that were needed.
Now its the "tuned" to be machine that I prefer.

I guess you could call it "tricked out", I prefer the term "fixed as it should have been from the factory".

#5329 8 years ago

On a separate note what REALLY SUCKS is have to stockpile NOS parts to protect your investment.

Owning everything listed below costs a small fortune in comparison to what a person already invested into buying a game.
You are looking a way over $1400+ here.
I really HATE what Stern has done with their replacment parts cost jacking monopoly.
This is becoming as bad as when WMS/BLY folded up after Black Friday and things were on Ebay.
Try finding these parts in 5 years...

Here are the key parts to consider having.

Extra Parts:

1) NOS Sparky with Electric Chair
2) NOS Plastic Set
3) NOS Target Replacement Kit
4) NOS Newton Ball Assembly
5) NOS Newton Cube Assembly
6) NOS Metallica Pro Translite
(or whatever translite you have, IF you can find it, I bought a PRO that was slightly damaged for my wall)
7) NOS Disappearing Magnet Assembly
8 ) NOS Grave Marker Slide Assembly
9) NOS Disappearing Magnet Core
10) NOS Magnet Cores (X2)
11) NOS Hammer Assembly

#5330 8 years ago

100 plus mods make a vid can u tell me how you made the knocker i want one

#5331 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

I just installed the snake mod last night and I think it looks awesome although for the shorter player it may block the rollover lane inserts but I can see them fine. Lol

Digging the green you have shining on the snake

#5332 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My refinery Pro is pretty tricked out. The ramp leds are hooked up to 2 different Sparky flashers and the skull to another one.
IMGA09181.jpg

Ramps looking good

#5333 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Ramps looking good

Hey thanks, they really surprised my friends when I first did the mod.

#5334 8 years ago

37) Modified LED anti-vibration bulb sockets

What are these?
Guessing the spots over the slings that love to throw bulbs all over the place.

#5335 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

100 plus mods make a vid can u tell me how you made the knocker i want one

These are not all "mods", they are factory corrections from design in some cases.
This still part of the reason I waited over 2+ years to buy a MET (along with code updates).

"REAL" knocker:

Using the ticket dispenser signal cable from Q24 in the cabinet, a knocker plate, Data East/Sega knocker assembly, Stern 50 volt step up PCB, 20 gauge wires, and Molex pins and connectors you make the "kit". Sometimes in the past they have been sold on Pinball Life. Do a keyword search it even shows up in PinSide and had been used since early Stern Whitestar MPU days all the way back to 2002 (prototype). Commonly used since 2007. Stern is CHEAP!!! ALL SAM MPU games support this functionality in the game code as an optional coil function. You also need to turn OFF the software knocker. ABS Industries spearheaded the project MANY years ago.

I prefer to put mine in the cabinet, otherwise, I have to piggyback off the driver board, due to shortage of available connections for a SOLID CRACK, not a Stern electronic "monkey fart".

#5336 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

What are these?
Guessing the spots over the slings that love to throw bulbs all over the place.

I modify the bulb sockets to use "locking" mechanisms I built with the flaired light shields using coil sleeves that are cut down, and additionally use 1/2" shrink tubing around either bulbs or in this case LEDs, to further complete the job. They NEVER fall out due to vibration (or shaker motor) and never GO OUT either, look professional, cannot be seen, but can be removed with forceps with rubber tips. If needed in older games with light boards I do the same trick with shrink tubing or post lights. HSII is a great example due to supercharger vibration for all sorts of bulbs that "end up in the bottom of the cabinet".

Thank god most of the lighting on the underside of MET LEs and Premiums are LED boards, not bulbs, or the shaker motor would be having a field day like Road Show. Those at least do not fall out.

#5337 8 years ago

In my opinion, the greatest "mod" that anyone could make to the LE is an updated coffin magnet board or complete redesign of the how the ball is sensed in proximity to the magnet to make it reliable. In it's present state, you might as well disable it and revert to "pro" mode with captive ball hits for locking balls.

#5338 8 years ago
Quoted from pinupgirl1975:

Hey guys in case you missed it in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/•new-mod•met-snake-ramp-kit-wplastic
We are selling MET Snake Mods for PRO and LE. Although we just sold out of LE this afternoon. We currently have 33 Pro Versions available if you are interested!!
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
You can buy them directly here: http://www.pingraffix.com/#!product-page/c1xid/7671314d-c8bc-cb2d-e653-d79addd1eefd
~ Gina

I'd like this mod. Should I just order the pro for me LE or wait and order the LE version when available again? What is the difference? Can u please advise when LE restocked?

#5339 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

In my opinion, the greatest "mod" that anyone could make to the LE is an updated coffin magnet board or complete redesign of the how the ball is sensed in proximity to the magnet to make it reliable. In it's present state, you might as well disable it and revert to "pro" mode with captive ball hits for locking balls.

A circular eddy sensor could be used under the hole, but the software would need to be corrected. I cannot even fix this without access to additional source code. This is the one complaint I reported that never got fixed over 2 years ago. The problem however can be improved by using a newton ball versus a newton cube. There is your "mod" correction. Improves hit detection by around 50%, and is completely "backwards compatible". The newton ball assembly is common and CHEAP too.

#5340 8 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I'd like this mod. Should I just order the pro for me LE or wait and order the LE version when available again? What is the difference? Can u please advise when LE restocked?

The ONLY difference between the LE and Pro plastics is THREE HOLES. You could drill them yourself if you are careful. Wrong post to ask the restock question though. You could message them...

#5341 8 years ago

What are the odds of getting a few more songs if there was a final update? Slim to none? I'd love Orion, Wherever I May Roam, Harvester of Sorrow, The Thing that should Not Be...those would be great- I know you can add them using a program but I'd love an official update-

#5342 8 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

What are the odds of getting a few more songs if there was a final update? Slim to none? I'd love Orion, Wherever I May Roam, Harvester of Sorrow, The Thing that should Not Be...those would be great- I know you can add them using a program but I'd love an official update-

None. That would cost money. No way Stern is paying more suddenly for more songs.

#5343 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

None. That would cost money. No way Stern is paying more suddenly for more songs.

No, but maybe Metallica will throw a couple at them to help promote a new album...

#5344 8 years ago

Heck yeah new album in 2016!

#5345 8 years ago

I think they missed the boat not including Orion. The call-outs would sound awesome over the instrumental-

#5346 8 years ago

Let's see a pick target mode using Four Horsemen and integrating Whiplash in somewhere just because it rocks

#5347 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

hi
is this the correct position of the snake?
should it have the same level as the play field when its open?
The ball always jumps inside the hole, but always hits the green plastic
thanks
tom

IMG_4422.jpg

I needed to ask.
What is this green plastic?
Is it aftermarket to prevent "snake hole jumping"?

I don't seem to have a problem, as long as the lower jaw is properly leveled in the open position.
I had to do a little tweaking from the factory on my Premium.
No issues.

#5348 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

No, but maybe Metallica will throw a couple at them to help promote a new album...
» YouTube video

Blocked.

#5349 8 years ago

Anyone know where to get the grave marker decals?

#5350 8 years ago

Custom painted flame speaker panel by Matt at back alley for sale. I listed it on the market if anyone is interested.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/107 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.