• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Ordered a Premium.
Wondering what I should order with it -not talking mods, more like a few bayonet flasher LEDs (how many though?) and some Cliffy's.
Is there anything else that I should consider?
Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

After Cliffy's and changing a few leds, FF sound upgrade, shaker motor and well .................mods

#3 9 years ago

Mystery scoop protector is a must. And not really a mod, but you gotta do what others have been talking about as far as adding a subwoofer. 100 watts never sounded so good, trust me.

#4 9 years ago

I'd pass on the shaker motor. No reason to cause anymore unnecessary vibrations to rattle stuff loose on your machine. IMHO
I would recommend the "Creeping Death" pinblades.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-metallica-pinblades-and-lighting-effects-taking-orders
The artwork is really good and goes great with the pin theme. See pictures on the linked thread.

#5 9 years ago

This Custom Sparky is a MUST HAVE. Your machine will look lame without it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-custom-sparky-imaginable

Always happy to help.

#6 9 years ago

Cliffy trough eject and right rail protector, cliffy mystery hole protector, Mezelmods snake teeth.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

This Custom Sparky is a MUST HAVE. Your machine will look lame without it.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-custom-sparky-imaginable
Always happy to help.

Donny and the others have MORE competition now!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Donny and the others have MORE competition now!

If I can source this statuette, I will be offering it with LEDs, and a Pinball Browser hack that replaces Sparky's voice with Laverne yelling at Lenny, and Squiggy. I'm taking preorders now to gauge interest.

#9 9 years ago

Ya you made the right choice on the premium, congrats, I sure can't wait to get mine.

I thought the premium/l.e. already has LED's? If not, please let me know what is incandescent and what type of bulb (44 or 555)?

Also don't you use Cliffy's to cover up pf damage? I seen photos of scoop protectors removed and it dug into the playfield and left gouges in the wood. Not sure I put those on a NEW game. Also seen photos of people's MET's with no Cliffy's and no mylar and pf has no damage, I think its overkill personally, when I see a game with cliffy's I immediately think its covering damage up.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

I'd pass on the shaker motor. No reason to cause anymore unnecessary vibrations to rattle stuff loose on your machine. IMHO

lmao...do you worry about dropping your pinball machines on their head as well? shaker motors make pins 2 times as fun....I've had a shaker on my tron pro since 2011, and I can't imagine it without it. it DOES NOT shake anything loose except the mounting screws if you don't lock tite them.

FYI

#11 9 years ago

btw, I am about to purchase a metallica pro or premium as well...congrats Chambaluz!

#13 9 years ago

Shaker and sub are a must IMO. Not sure if this is a problem with brand new premiums, but i broke 2 drop targets in 3 days on my LE.

No, it is not any fun replacing them. If you break a target, contact Stern or distributor to have a whole replacement unit sent.

Replace songs / sounds / images with Pinball Browser.

#14 9 years ago

snake fangs... unless you like having a MET turtle or a snake with its dentures out...
http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica/products/fangs

#15 9 years ago

Prem is the way to go got mine last October. There are LEDs throughout except in back box where there is a single Fluro.
Beware once you start modding a machine you can't stop:
Sub wolfer added prior to receiving
Creating Death pin blades with lighting awesome, sparky helmet with light up wire(pinball refinery)
Mini gutars, cross's near pop bumpers(PBL)
Snake fangs, gel pads for Fuel inserts, hammer light, mystery scoop light, snake light + tongue decal, flame gate covers, skeleton in coffin and light up mini speakers (Mezel) Tim and Kristen are great.
New premium balls a must.
Latest mod not added yet (only rec Yesterday) interactive LED back box lighting and under cab lighting(pinball refinery)

Game looks awesome now, half of these should have been on machine from Stern being a Prem.
Again big warning!!!! Don't start modding you can see by the above it's addictive.

Your going to love the pin modded or not it's awesome.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Shaker and sub are a must IMO. Not sure if this is a problem with brand new premiums, but i broke 2 drop targets in 3 days on my LE.
No, it is not any fun replacing them. If you break a target, contact Stern or distributor to have a whole replacement unit sent.

I believe a lot of LE had the same problem with drop targets breaking. Stern has changed them now so not a problem on Premiums or Pro's.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Ordered a Premium.
Wondering what I should order with it -not talking mods, more like a few bayonet flasher LEDs (how many though?) and some Cliffy's.
Is there anything else that I should consider?
Thanks!

1) For new games that don't have wear, this is a better protector for scoops and kickouts:

ebay.com link: Stern Metallica Pinball Mystery Hole Protector by PinProtection com

2) Someone already mentioned Cliffy's trough kickout and launch lane protector.

3) You may need to adjust the springs on the drop targets to create more tension so direct hits go down.

4) I shimmed the mounts of the Snake's jaw from underneath to lower the jaw just enough to avoid Snake rejects.

5) I had to put a small rubber post ring to the left of the pop lanes because my ball was getting stuck up there after hitting the plastic post (game is properly leveled).

6) Remove the spotlights from the slings and run the harnesses underneath to light up the Fuel bar and scoop from underneath (or Snake). Three-quarters of the way down in this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-impressions-comments-problems-mods/page/15

7) A few mods that are inexpensive and not mentioned a lot:

a) SS boney flippers (about halfway down on this thread are some pics):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-impressions-comments-problems-mods/page/14

b) TFTC eyeball standup target (I only did the one behind the Fuel bar) This thread shows three eyeballs:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-eye-target-mod#post-1518907

c) Colored gel paper for the FUEL inserts and Fuel gauge. Three-quarters down this thread shows examples, as well as more pics of the boney flippers:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/13

d) Tmezel's Fang's and Cemetary arch are very cool:

http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I just had a drop target break, does Stern charge to replace these. I do want to whole unit, not just individual targets.

#20 9 years ago

Others have mentioned getting whole target assemblies , which I just received for no charge. You have to send the old unit back to them. I think the serial number of your machine factors into whether or not they will replace the unit. Apparantly , there was an upgrade to the design.

Quoted from Roostking:

I just had a drop target break, does Stern charge to replace these. I do want to whole unit, not just individual targets.

2 weeks later
#21 9 years ago
Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

snake fangs... unless you like having a MET turtle or a snake with its dentures out...
http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica/products/fangs

Has anyone had issues with the ball getting stuck between the right fang and the left stand-up guitar pick target?
I moved the fangs a little today but still had it happen this evening.
May have to file the teeth down a little.
Anyone?

Also, I installed the gel inserts and think they look great but was wondering if Stern will make these obsolete with updated code? I expect the LEDs that are in there now are also colour-changing, but not programmed yet?

#22 9 years ago

+1 on the pinblades for Metallica!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Others have mentioned getting whole target assemblies , which I just received for no charge. You have to send the old unit back to them. I think the serial number of your machine factors into whether or not they will replace the unit. Apparantly , there was an upgrade to the design.

Did you call Stern or your distributor? I called the distributor and they looked on the website and said they didnt see anything regarding the bad batch of drop targets, so that I need to call Stern. I called Stern and is simply sending me a kit for replacement, but not the whole assembly. He was not concerned with my Serial #

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-quick-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.