Topic poll

“Metallica or Iron Maiden”

• Metallica pro 77 votes
    56%
  • Iron Maiden pro 61 votes
    44%

(138 votes)

#1 6 years ago

So I decided to purchase a NIB Metallica Pro LED. Just sent in the check. Now the Iron Maiden is out and I am getting caught up in the excitement. Is it better to buy the MET that is a for sure great game? Or get I\m/ that I have no clue about it? Totally getting caught up in the moment about maiden. Bigger Metallica band fan if that matters.

#2 6 years ago

I'm not a Metallica fan, but it is a great pin--if I liked their music I'd have one.

#3 6 years ago

Both great games. Can’t lose either way

#4 6 years ago

Buy the nib Metallica now, play it and have fun. When you’ve played it for a while and get tired of it, trade it in with a distributor/pinsider on the new Iron Maiden.

#5 6 years ago

I had MET Premium for 3 years. Loved it but eventually got tired of bash bash bash to get to Crank It Up modes.

Maiden Pro looks amazing from the Dead Flip stream I watched.

#6 6 years ago

Been waiting for Iron Maiden to be released myself, to see which I would buy.
If Iron Maiden looked poor, I was going to get Met.
After seeing the info and stream today, I think it's Iron Maiden.
Metallica is a great game though.

#7 6 years ago

No brainer get the Met....jury is still on on IM although it looks like a fun pin...

#8 6 years ago

IM for me

#9 6 years ago

MET - all day long. It’s proven, finished code and you are a fan of the band. One of my personal favorites.

Trust me, you will learn fast to not get caught up in the excitement. Learn to wait, read/see the feedback and more importantly, play the damn game before you buy.

#10 6 years ago

MET. If you buy Maiden now you'll be at the back of the line for awhile. Met is awesome.
As they've said above, play it, rock it, sell it, buy Maiden

#11 6 years ago

why get either? get KISS instead.

#12 6 years ago

You are a bigger Metallica Fan and it's a great game - stay with that.

Why get Iron Maiden if you like Metallica music better?

#13 6 years ago

Great question. I was just getting caught up in the iron maiden excitement on other thread. Fear of missing out I guess. I like the MET plan. Buy it, play it, figure out next steps later.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

why get either? get KISS instead.

Said no one ever

#15 6 years ago

I love the hype machine. One of the best games ever Metallica. Suddenly a shiney pretty thing called Iron Maiden shows up and everyone says OMG this is the best thing ever.....yet no one has played it........chill a bit and enjoy, maybe it’s good......time will tell

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Atrain:

Great question. I was just getting caught up in the iron maiden excitement on other thread. Fear of missing out I guess. I like the MET plan. Buy it, play it, figure out next steps later.

Why the fear of missing out?
MET pro is a great package, Stern has been cranking them out for five years.
Enjoy your game! Plenty of Eddie pros to come too.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Atrain:

So I decided to purchase a NIB Metallica Pro LED. Just sent in the check. Now the Iron Maiden is out and I am getting caught up in the excitement. Is it better to buy the MET that is a for sure great game? Or get I\m/ that I have no clue about it? Totally getting caught up in the moment about maiden. Bigger Metallica band fan if that matters.

Keep the Metallica! Best Stern in recent history, Iron Maiden has to dethrone it first, not be crowned on reveal.

#18 6 years ago

Metallica is the real deal. Nothing but good things to say about that pin which is bolted to my floor. It's a winner and well passed the flavor of the month status.

Which is not the case for Maiden. Don't get me wrong Maiden is my dream theme and hope nothing but the best for it but we know nothing of how the game will end up. Polish code ? Abandonned ? We hope the best but we never know for sure.

But I understand your dilema cause today I'm feeling freaking excited and wanna buy Maiden for sure. But my brain just left the building 8 hours ago and my passion and heart is speaking.........not and educate move to make lol.

#19 6 years ago

Met

#20 6 years ago

Need to see more code first

#21 6 years ago

Metallica. Wait and play Iron Maiden and of course wait for the code.

#22 6 years ago

Metallica is great and you already ordered it. Have patience because no one has played Iron Maiden yet and see what happens. Plus Metallica is SAM system and IM is Spike 2 for what that’s worth.

#23 6 years ago

Both.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I had MET Premium for 3 years. Loved it but eventually got tired of bash bash bash to get to Crank It Up modes.
Maiden Pro looks amazing from the Dead Flip stream I watched.

I enjoy MET the least outof my small collection

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Plus Metallica is SAM system and IM is Spike 2 for what that’s worth.

IMO this does mean something

#26 6 years ago

I have had Metallica for 2 years now and still like to play it. I am curious about Maiden but I just got a NIB AS and GOTG and I'm not the most impressed with the new cabinets.

#27 6 years ago

Dont take notice of the poll results. I would listen to what most people are saying.
You cannot compare a machine thats been around for years, has had hundreds of thousands of games, very polished code, and still stacks up as one of the best Pro's ever released, against a machine that no-one other then in Stern circles has yet to play or review (and most importantly you!!!).
Also, player comments toward MET as 'its all bash, bash, bash' either only played on old code, or didn't bother to really learn the code.

As most of the comments suggest, go with your first gut instinct and dont get caught up in the hype train.
Metallica is a proven fantastic game and Iron Maiden may end up being one also, but if it does then Stern will be making them for a long time so nothing lost.

#28 6 years ago

Cant believe the hype after a few pics and few hr vid.....pinside is crazy . Go with a proven winner.... met pro is a excellent pin and sterns overall best imo.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

IMO this does mean something

It’s a shame Stern abandoned SAM for SPIKE, I think SAM was their best platform ever.

#30 6 years ago

I agree with what most people here are saying - Metallica is awesome, and if you love their music more, that's even better (although not required). Buy it, play it, love it. And if you want to swap it out after a few months, go for it. I've had it since October and I still can't get more than one CIU, but it still pulls me in.

#31 6 years ago

I'm very happy they made Iron Maiden with the layout they did as many people wanted something other than the "same old layout". This puts variety into the hobby and that's never a bad thing. That being said, I've owned MET pro for about 9 months now and still play it very often. I love the layout and the code is excellent. Still to this day I find myself chipping closer to End of the Line, but still no where near getting there. I'll never say anything is bolted to the ground, because things change, but I don't see MET leaving anytime soon. Iron Maiden looks top notch though and I can't wait to play one, to see for myself.

Edit: Also after watching the stream last night I do think Iron Maiden has put the new style LCD to the best use, but I rarely have time to look at that screen when playing.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Cant believe the hype after a few pics and few hr vid.....pinside is crazy . Go with a proven winner.... met pro is a excellent pin and sterns overall best imo.

Agreed - let maiden prove itself in your hands first before choosing oven a proven winner. It's not like maiden is a low production count game - in fact the more you wait the cheaper it will be!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Said no one ever

Just to go against the grain I will be the second to say it. Kiss is a fantastic game....forget the talk of more code needed. The shots are great and is just a fun shooter.

But Metallica over Maiden for sure. Maiden will be around for a while to see if it a better game. Metallica is proven for most.

#34 6 years ago

MET is a great game. Its been out awhile now and eventually it will not be made. Iron Maiden... just being released, just ramping up production, code will need to be worked on from day 1 as usual (like anything else).

Get the MET and enjoy. Lots of cool mods to add if you want. Iron Maiden will be around... new in box or second hand in a couple years HUO is the way to go.

#35 6 years ago

Agree with others. Go with the proven game with rock solid code. However, I admit I am feeling the hype. Iron Maiden does look amazing and love the 4 flippers. I have no interest in the band but felt the same about Metallica. No way am I making any decisions without getting a lot of gameplay. It took me many plays to really get MET and finally decide to get one. The last Stern game I got excited about on release was GB. I thought I was for sure going to get one after a few plays but after many plays I had zero interest. Gameplay just couldn't hold up. I've had my MET for a few years and still love playing it. It can be a bit of a bash fest if you don't know the rules.

Stick with MET for a few years. See how Maiden works out and if any issues with playfields, node boards, or whatever. If it's a good game, it will be on sale for a long while and plenty will be out there to get on the 2nd hand market for less. You should have no problems selling MET when the time comes or you get sick of it. Better yet, keep MET and save up for Maiden down the road.

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

As someone who also just ordered a NIB Metallica Pro (waiting on delivery) I was also in the same dilemma. I am not a huge fan of either band actually, care more about the games. I have two other machines with multi flipper, but what kept me to Metallica were two details. Baked code and the reliability and ease to work on a SAM system vs the new SPIKE system. With this being my first NIB buy, I wanted something I knew I would want to play for a long time and I would be comfortable working on to keep it in good working order. Not trying to start the SAM vs SPIKE debate, but that was a big reason for me personally. I think the look and PF of IM is awesome, but MET is tried and true. Won't leave the top 10 anytime soon IMO.

#37 6 years ago

metallica is the easy choice here. plays great, code is done, you like metallica more than maiden. until maiden code is done you really cant compare anything but artwork and music.

#38 6 years ago

I love the layout on Metallica, I am more of a fan of Maidens so want to try the pin first

#39 6 years ago

As great as i think Iron Maiden is going to be, i still think you should go with whats a proven winner in MET. Pinball doesn't get any better than Metallica and even if Maiden turns out to be better, no way is it going to blow MET away, no way in hell. The other thing is MET is not being made anymore i dont think and Maiden will be available for 3 years at least. You could always sell the MET to fund the Iron Maiden pin later if you wanted to.

2 weeks later
#40 6 years ago

After just playing Maiden a bunch this weekend I've changed my mind. Awesome game, best new pin I've played in a long time. I'm buying one--I like it that much!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 149.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Trade
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-or-iron-maiden?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.