• AC/DC 96 votes
    60%

(161 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

huh.png
Legend-Darkness-12.jpg
Grumpy-Cat.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Which one would you rather have?

#2 11 years ago

Both ! Right now AC/DC is better because I can play it today. Metallica stills needs to prove itself with game play and rules . I think MOP will be awesome and glad I will have Bible and Mople !

#3 11 years ago

agreed. Both. +1

#4 11 years ago

BOTH +2

#5 11 years ago

I need to at least see some video of Metallica game play.

#7 11 years ago

Premature. If you are asking one to decide based on Pinball game play.

#8 11 years ago

Too early but Metallica really looks to be an awesome player with flow like ACDC with better art and better toys.

#9 11 years ago

acdc is more widely liked as a band, and still relevant. Metallica was cool in the 80's, ACDC is in bigtime movies like Ironman and in huge video game commercials, I like Metallica and they had great music but since the black album what have they done ? ACDC is my favorite game I have played and metallica looks great but without playing it this poll should be pushed till the it's available for play. Either way if you put these 2 games next to each other it would be killer !

#10 11 years ago

Of course as everyone says it's a guessing game .. but right now Metallica looks better from a toy and playfield/game play perspective, while AC/DC wins out on theme.

#11 11 years ago

Both are fan layouts
Both look great in photos
ACDC is a points based pin
I 'think' Metallica will be mode based

If Metallica is mode based; ill probably prefer it. But it still has a long way to go to prove itself

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I 'think' Metallica will be mode based

Do you think "modes" will score points too ?

#13 11 years ago

I like AC/DC music more and never really got into Metallica besides there hits and still need to see them live but the layout of this pin looks amazing and to be a winner which makes me want one. I believe this is the updated TFTC by Borg. I hope for more mode based game like GNR which I still enjoy. The orginal art work is a plus and game looks like it has a lot if different shots. The songs they picked are good. I think and hope Iron Maiden is next which also will be a huge hit if done like this new Merallica game. In the end its rock n roll or heavy metal and a win for pinball. I am all for it and wish the AC/DC pin looked more like this new one.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Do you think "modes" will score points too ?

Not if waison programs it!

#15 11 years ago

I have an ACDC and ordered a MOP.
If I could have only one I would buy ACDC now as its proven. Its quite possible that MOP will be eqaul or better but right now its just a possibility.

#16 11 years ago

AC/DC...haven't played Matallica yet.

#17 11 years ago

MetallicA cause it's my favorite band,*gameplay* well it's really early 2 know...if it's gameplay
you should have made this post in 2 or 3 months The Look and Toys easy : MetallicA

#19 11 years ago

The Metallica art is much better IMO. There is just something sexy retro about the Metallica package. The rumor is the gameplay is very strong also. Prefer the band ACDC, but Metallica suits pinball. So I am guessing that Metallica will squeeze past ACDC. I hope the electric chair toy does multiple things. Love the inline drops and the hammer has real potential. Good software, lights and sounds could make this thing incredible!

#20 11 years ago

wow, you guys are out of control. Lets see. Lets rate a game that about half of this group has actually played, to a game that isn't even close to being playable for awhile. Can't rate anything you havn't played.

Btw, I finally played Avengers and you guys are full of shit. It's a piece of crap. Plays like ass, designed like ass. Design errors up the wazoo. People that are praising that one, are ones who were dumb enough to preorder it and trying to keep the hype up for buying a turd. It sucks less than Xmen, but not by much.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from kidpinballwizard:

Game hasn't even been released yet. Stupid poll!

#22 11 years ago

I missed out on an LE

Grumpy-Cat.jpgGrumpy-Cat.jpg

#23 11 years ago

I haven't played either pin, but the poll question is "Which one would you rather have?" so I feel I can weigh in on the subject.

I enjoy prior games from both designers and Lyman is doing the code on both. No complaints there. Meaning it all comes down to theme...

As far as theme is concerned, I'm a fan of Metallica's music (especially MoP, AJFA, and DM) and feel that ACDC's music sounds like something akin to nails on a chalkboard most of the time.

This is a slam dunk for me... Metallica all the way!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wow, you guys are out of control. Lets see. Lets rate a game that about half of this group has actually played, to a game that isn't even close to being playable for awhile. Can't rate anything you havn't played.
Btw, I finally played Avengers and you guys are full of shit. It's a piece of crap. Plays like ass, designed like ass. Design errors up the wazoo. People that are praising that one, are ones who were dumb enough to preorder it and trying to keep the hype up for buying a turd. It sucks less than Xmen, but not by much.

How far did you get? I didn't like it at first till I got past qualifying avengers. Ironically enough AV pro gets twice the play at my house and after a week of AC/DC I'm starting to get buyers remorse.

As for the topic. I voted for AC/DC. I still can't figure out how a group of people (this forum) that is so focused on code could hype pictures of a pin this much. AC/DC is a great pin, I'm just having a hard time just focusing on points thus my hesitation on keeping it.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

What's avengers have to do with a ACDC/Metallica thread??? ACDC is a proven title so its hard to tell but the early looks of Metallica are quite impressive and with Lyman doing the code I'm all In.

If its 1/2 as fun as ACDC then ill probably be happy.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I still can't figure out how a group of people (this forum) that is so focused on code could hype pictures of a pin this much.

People are giving it the benefit of the doubt because Lyman is doing the code. Rightfully so IMO.

#27 11 years ago

Avengers doesn't have much to do with this thread, but I said previously I wouldn't criticize a game until I played. Which is what this thread is kind of trying to do. So wanted to state my .02cents on the abomination that was known as avengers. Holy crap does that game have serious design flaws all over it. LE that I played at PAPA did anyway.

Don't judge what you havn't played.

Don't buy what you havn't played. Live by those rules and you'll never be unhappy with a pin purchase again.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Avengers doesn't have much to do with this thread, but I said previously I wouldn't criticize a game until I played. Which is what this thread is kind of trying to do. So wanted to state my .02cents on the abomination that was known as Avengers. Holy crap does that game have serious design flaws all over it. LE that I played at PAPA did anyway.
Don't judge what you havn't played.
Don't buy what you havn't played. Live by those rules and you'll never be unhappy with a pin purchase again.

Sometimes its worth a gamble. What about all those people who waited on BIBLE or Tron LE. I Had this discussion with a friend the other day. Sometimes its worth a gamble if you are able to pull the trigger on one. I won with BIBLE & Hopefully Metallica, those I didnt do so well on ( Xmen, TF LE ) I was able to trade off or sell & not lose much at all. This is an expensive hobby & if you arent willing to take a chance sometimes for fear of losing a few hundred bucks you probably shouldnt be in the hobby in the 1st place.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sometimes its worth a gamble. What about all those people who waited on BIBLE or TRON LE. I Had this discussion with a friend the other day. Sometimes its worth a gamble if you are able to pull the trigger on one. I won with BIBLE & Hopefully Metallica, those I didnt do so well on ( Xmen, TF LE ) I was able to trade off or sell & not lose much at all. This is an expensive hobby & if you arent willing to take a chance sometimes for fear of losing a few hundred bucks you probably shouldnt be in the hobby in the 1st place.

No it's not worth a gamble. your talking about 5% chance. That's 95% chance that it's going to tank in price. Would you bet on 95% odds against you? Look at the numbers. i'm not going to buy 10 games in hopes that 1 of those 10 goes up in value and doubles in price. Yea, maybe that one does double in price, but now you have 9 others you lost your ass on. More than makes up for the double you made out on the one that actually did go up in price. Nope not worth the gamble at all. Remember it's rare for a game to go up in value after you open the box. Takes about 10 years or so before a game starts to finally creep up beyond it's NIB price was. Even then only a small selection of games get that either.

Buy what you play. It's the only safe way to do it. THere are plenty around of everything, least after you've played one extensively, you know that your buying it to stay without the risk of $1000's of dollars.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No it's not worth a gamble. your talking about 5% chance. That's 95% chance that it's going to tank in price. Would you bet on 95% odds against you? Look at the numbers. i'm not going to buy 10 games in hopes that 1 of those 10 goes up in value and doubles in price. Yea, maybe that one does double in price, but now you have 9 others you lost your ass on. More than makes up for the double you made out on the one that actually did go up in price. Nope not worth the gamble at all. Remember it's rare for a game to go up in value after you open the box. Takes about 10 years or so before a game starts to finally creep up beyond it's NIB price was. Even then only a small selection of games get that either.
Buy what you play. It's the only safe way to do it. THere are plenty around of everything, least after you've played one extensively, you know that your buying it to stay without the risk of $1000's of dollars.

I didnt once say I was flipping the game did I? I said Id rather buy it at the preorder price then after when the price goes up & it cost me 1-2k more. And sure i've missed on a couple pins I bought NIB & guess what it cost me? A couple hundred bucks after I sold it. Big f'ing deal....Like I said before if you're worried that you may lose a couple hundred bucks if you have to end up selling a game that you thought you were gonna like but didnt then you shouldnt be in this hobby to begin with.

#31 11 years ago

doesn't matter if your buying to flip or not, if your buying what you havn't played and it sucks, your going to want to sell it. If it sucks, and everyone else knows it sucks, your going to lose 100's if not 1000's. If you wait until you play it extensively, you can avoid any of it.

#32 11 years ago

That's not easy to answer for I haven't seen any gameplay of Metallica yet, let alone played a game on it.
That said: I really liked AC/DC when I played it, but couldn't get into all the rules yet. That's a good thing for owning a game at home most of the time (IMO), but it may have influence on my judgement.

Metallica I really like the toys and the metal steep ramps better, having a one-way-lane low left and 2 scoops and a ball lock under the playfield with hammer and magnets and inline drop-targets seem better to me than an mini-under-playfield. I think Metallica has more shots as well (10, without the side-targets?).

So I'd say for me Metallica on playfield/toys alone, but can't really judge yet.

#33 11 years ago

I voted with an order for an AC/DC Premium on Thursday. Could have ordered METLE but went with AC/DC Premium almost entirely because it's a known quantity. I also have confidence the NIB MET Premiums will be around for a while if the game is good.

#34 11 years ago

I own an AC/DC Premium and love it.
I don't like Metallica enough to buy this pin but I think it's been made perfectly clear that the playfield/design looks amazing and this pin may well become another smash hit for Stern.
My prediction: it doesn't go over as well as AC/DC based on the music, but those who love Metallica will prefer the game over the AC/DC pin.
Either way, another Stern smash hit is great for pinball. The more they "get right" and hit out of the park, the more likely they'll recognize what works and keep em coming.
It's too bad they can't design a pin like Metallica or AC/DC and offer it in 3 or more packages...
same rules and toys, but different artwork and music.
Gotta be easier to create an Iron Maiden pin using the AC/DC items than it is to start from scratch.
Damn, if the Rolling Stones pin was available (ie: AC/DC but with a Stones "skin"), I'll bet it would sell great!

#35 11 years ago

Only looking at the looks and not gameplay since metallica isn't out yet. Metallica is the winner for me(excluding metallica premium)

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

doesn't matter if your buying to flip or not, if your buying what you havn't played and it sucks, your going to want to sell it. If it sucks, and everyone else knows it sucks, your going to lose 100's if not 1000's. If you wait until you play it extensively, you can avoid any of it.

I gave you 2 examples of games I felt sucked that I was able to sell and only lose $200 on one and break even on The other. I guess it's up to whoever is buying to make their own decision on what's best for them. But thanks for trying to make the financial decisions for us.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from JoachimR:

Only looking at the looks and not gameplay since metallica isn't out yet. Metallica is the winner for me(excluding metallica premium)

I think a different translite would do a lot for the premium

#38 11 years ago

Well I bought an ACDC LTBR and I'm not selling it for Metallica but I may buy a premium down the road. I don't see what all the hate is on the metallica premium? I don't like the translight but I think the cab art looking like a road case is fantastic and that looks more metal than the other art packages. My favorite metallica album is master of puppets and the LE does nothing for me. I think I chose the right LE machines. I absolutely won't be buying this machine without knowing what sound and gameplay is like.

#39 11 years ago

I have both, or will have that is when ever they start shipping Metallica, but for now I am going to have to vote on AC/DC since Metallica is nothing but a picture to look at , cant judge a pin just by a picture.

With that said, Metallica's lay out and design looks awesome which makes me THINK both AC/DC and Metallica will be great pins. AC/DC is great, and Metallica...... time will tell!

#40 11 years ago

I'm gonna start my own poll. Which would you rather have:

A Unicorn or a Leprechaun.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I thought this was dumb, then the more I thought aboot it the more complex it gets. Having a Leprechaun doesn't mean he's gunna just fess up his gold. He'll prob just screw with you all the time and taunt you.
Unicorn you can bank some serious monies but i got no idea how to whisper or tame a horse. Mounted police used to clear the streets @ MSU and a horse is a really scary beast. Then slap a machete on it and you've got troubles.
Plus then you get horse chics hanging all over you...uff, horse chics.

#42 11 years ago

TheLaw said everything I was thinking but couldn't put into words

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from kidpinballwizard:

I've tried to like AC/DC as they were hands down my favorite rock band growing up in the 80s. Just can't get there. I can't even look at the pro playfield. Ugliest thing I ever saw.

Never cared for Metallica, but the pin does look promising, especially with the in-line drop targets. Every pin should have them!! Guess I have to go Matellica based on pictures, but only the LE...

Yes, I have a WOZ coming, but also own SM so that equals out for any flame throwers right?

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought this was dumb, then the more I thought about it the more complex it gets.

It was meant to be dumb to the stupid and intriguing to the complex individuals. AND...I corrected your spelling error...no fee

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I've seen the Leprechaun movies, so if he's a little bastard like that one, i'll take the Unicorn any day. I'd have to clean the yard a lot, as the Unicorn shit would really pile up. Unless it comes out as cupcake frosting. Then i'd be in business.

#46 11 years ago

I've seen the Leprechaun movies, so if he's a little bastard like that one, i'll take the Unicorn any day.

Sure what's the worst that could happen?

Legend-Darkness-12.jpgLegend-Darkness-12.jpg

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No it's not worth a gamble. your talking about 5% chance. That's 95% chance that it's going to tank in price.

Your point is well taken, and we should go back to the previously well known idea that all NIB games take a hit once out of the box, just like a car.

However, in this case if we assume Lyman is the sole software developer on Metallica, the chances are significantly better than 5% you won't lose your shirt on Metallica. I counted Lyman as the sole software guy on 5 pins with 3 different designers. Is it coincidence all 5 of those are in Pinside's top 10 rankings, and not one of them is worth less than NIB price even in rough condition?

ACDC, SM, AFM, MM, MB

(Ok ACDC is still in production, but it's holding up fine)

#48 11 years ago

SM tanked when it first came out. Took awhile to start getting love. It was not well loved in the beginning. MM is loved because of the toy and theme, rules are shallow. AFM and MB didn't start getting love until years down the road. AC/DC is probably the title that gets the most love the soonest from release. So just because Lyman does the code, doesn't automatically mean instant payoff. But longterm, Lyman does have a good track record. Playability of the playfield will also be a big factor. Software and design have to work together.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

AFM and MB didn't start getting love until years down the road.

What does that mean? Or you mean a big bump in price?

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What does that mean? Or you mean a big bump in price?

In the beginning the resale value on them wasn't that good. AFM sat. Nobody wanted them. Wasn't until the RGP hype bandwagon started to get rolling, did they start to take off on price. But for years, you would take a loss on them from NIB price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-or-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.