(Topic ID: 141387)

Metallica Monster Premium fun for guests?

By sadler28

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Gryszzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am fairly new to the hobby and have owned a JD for over a year now. Great for kids with multiball from the start but guests who don't play pinball don't get too much into it.

I'm a huge Metallica fan. One of my favorite bands ever. I've read a ton about the premium machine but never played it. I'm 90% in on getting on the new run from Stern, but am concerned about game play when friends and family come over.

Any thoughts or personal experience from anyone with people who play this machine for the first time either as long time pinballers or new to the game?

#2 8 years ago

I think Metallica (and ACDC) are great Lyman code achievements because newbs/guests can have a ton of fun with them and experts can appreciate the nuance. For a newb to enjoy Metallica all they need to know is "shoot Sparky, the Snake, the grave targets, the coffin and the ramps" and they'll have a great time. Of course it helps if they like the music, too.

#3 8 years ago

I have JD, Metallica and Star Trek. Non pinball people flock to trek and leave Metallica alone. Don't know why

#4 8 years ago

If you are a Metallica and pinball fan, you owe it to get the machine regardless of friends and family. But I agree with Rarehero that it does a great job of having levels of simplicity and complexity to make it enjoyable for lots of people. The light show on the premium is excellent as well.

#5 8 years ago

I have played Star Trek. Very fun game but my wife wouldn't go for the theme. Plus this will be a selfish purchase since it will be my first NIB pin. Good thoughts on how to tell people what to hit on Met to make it simple.
I like JD because the rules are pretty deep with a lot of different shots. It seems like Met is super deep as well.

#6 8 years ago

I like Metallica, Im not OMG Met's the best fricking band ever! That being said, I didn't know what to think before I played one. I was drawn to the artwork because Im a comic book, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, Von Dutch kind of guy! Since you've only got one other pin you really dont have to worry about people not playing a Met. In fact after they play a Met they just might want one like I do!

#7 8 years ago

Have MoPLE...Game is very tough for guests. They walk away usually after 3 balls of drains.

AC/DC Premium and STLE now get played the most in my gameroom.

Currently in gameroom:

TWDLE,WoZLE,Mustang Premium,CV,MM,STLE,NGG,MoPLE,AC/DC Premium

#8 8 years ago

I think it is a crowd pleaser for sure. If you are entertaining young children you may want to turn off the curses.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

If you are a Metallica and pinball fan, you owe it to get the machine regardless of friends and family. But I agree with Rarehero that it does a great job of having levels of simplicity and complexity to make it enjoyable for lots of people. The light show on the premium is excellent as well.

Yes! Never buy a pin for your "guests". Buy it for yourself, & teach your guest how to play it. As Rarehero said, just shoot Sparky could be the lesson for a Newby.

#10 8 years ago

My guests love playing my MET premium- they always get a kick out of both the Sparky and Hammer toys. Close runner up is ACDC premium (bell and canon are the favorites).

#11 8 years ago

Cool collection sepins! Was thinking NGG a few months ago since I play a lot of golf and thought the kiddos would like it. Never came across one though.

Sounds like I need to go with my gut on the Met. Guess I could always get another pin for guests if they don't like the Met or JD. Another excuse to tell my wife we need more pins!!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

people who play this machine for the first time either as long time pinballers or new to the game?

As a very long time pinball player (longer than most on here) when I first got my METLE I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. But after a few months I woke up and it became one of the most annoying machines I ever owned and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I realized it is no longer the 80s and the theme and music went out of style decades ago. So yeah it was good for a while. A short while.

#13 8 years ago

I love my Met. My second pin and first NIB. Had it two years now, still love it. Great light show(added mods) and colour DMD, most guests love it! If you really want to please your guests get a Woz.
Met is a tough game with deep rules. I find most guests struggle to understand and can walk away.
DW,Wipeout, TSPP, TZ, PM and BSD in my collection, DW and Wipeout would be the most played by guests.

I think it's a good idea to get a pin that would appeal to your guests but you will be the one playing it the most so I would recommend getting one that's best for you and your family.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

Cool collection sepins! Was thinking NGG a few months ago since I play a lot of golf and thought the kiddos would like it. Never came across one though.
Sounds like I need to go with my gut on the Met. Guess I could always get another pin for guests if they don't like the Met or JD. Another excuse to tell my wife we need more pins!!

Just get it and enjoy it for yourself. The truth is your guests probably don't and won't ever care about pinball. If they do they'll love Metallica.

If you really want something for your guests get something more old school and simple with slower balls that they can bat around before wandering off. I have my Abra Ca Dabra "on location" at my wife's office right now, her coworkers love it.

#15 8 years ago

kids really like WCS 94, nice easy pin to play, my kids find ac dc frustrating as it punishes you. Yeah i agree with Aurich about guests.
Whirlwind is a really fun family game. Wow where to start hey. Met pro is on my list. It hardly comes up for sale here down under

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As a very long time pinball player (longer than most on here) when I first got my METLE I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. But after a few months I woke up and it became one of the most annoying machines I ever owned and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I realized it is no longer the 80s and the theme and music went out of style decades ago. So yeah it was good for a while. A short while.

I hear ya o-din. I'm in sales and travel a lot. Listen to Metallica almost everyday. My worry is the pin plays 12 songs. Mind you, they are bad ass songs, but I like some of their other work just as much. Not sure if hearing those 12 songs over and over will wear them out a bit.

#17 8 years ago

DO IT !
For yourself....guests don't play pinball.
One of the greatest Sterns ever.

#18 8 years ago

As everyone is saying, buy for yourself. If a newb is over, simplify the game to one thing that leads to a Multiball. Don't overwhelm them with any other rules. They will play and have fun. Then they will walk away thinking you are crazy for owning these things.

#19 8 years ago

Love it... OP is considering MET and tells us that he wants to know whether, in our experience, guest are attracted to the game or not....so folks answer here by telling him to forget about his guests and buy the machine for himself. Never mind that you've no understanding of his social life or the interactions between him and his significant other. So, I'll answer your actual question based upon my experience: no. When I have parties with non-pinball-leaguers guests do not play much MeT compared to WOZ, TZ, LOTR, RS, SS and whatever EM I have at the time. In fact, it's been my experience that nonpinballers like the EMs or early Solids states more than most 90s+ games. And kids, kids seem to play a ball or two of whatever game is not currently occupied at any given moment.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

In fact, it's been my experience that nonpinballers like the EMs or early Solids states more than most 90s+ games. And kids, kids seem to play a ball or two of whatever game is not currently occupied at any given moment.

Agreed, 100%

But I also agree with buy pinball for yourself, not your guests.

So ... do both! Get a classic SS and Metallica.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

the pin plays 12 songs.

That might have been it but leaving Whiplash out from the get go kind of sucked. You can pick your own songs with the browser. It was when Seek and Destroy in a loop woke me up at 5:00 AM in the chair did I realize it was time for it to go. Other experiences may differ.

#22 8 years ago

If your a Met fan already you owe it to yourself to get it and the very first 2 mods to put on it are the Color dmd and an external powered sub. I know it's spendy but the game just explodes with them on. You and your guests will have a ball.

#23 8 years ago

Put my deposit for a Met machine this morning. Couldn't resist since I'm a fan of the music and the artwork with game play looks pretty sweet. Went the selfish route since it's my first NIB and adding a shaker motor, color dmd, upgraded speakers, side art, undercarriage LED and speaker panel matching the music, snake decals, and cliffy protectors where needed. Probably went overboard, but you only live once. If guests don't like it, well it gives me a reason to tell the wife we need another pin.

Thinking all the upgrades will give guests a different feel than they may have had with other machines. The light show should keep the kiddos entertained.

Thanks for all the feedback!

#24 8 years ago

great choice, Met Prem is my all time favorite Stern. And changing the songs with pinball browser makes it even better!

#25 8 years ago

Is it " so easy an idiot can do it," or pretty involved to change songs?

#26 8 years ago

You have chosen wisely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-monster-premium-fun-for-guests and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.