image.jpg
image.jpg
WP_20150123_23_20_45_Pro.jpg
image-515.jpg
image.jpg
20141115_10730.jpg
20141122_195459.jpg
P1110456 flyer view.JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I finally pulled the trigger and am getting a MetPremium. Very excited.

I've ordered the snake tongue decal (just seems obvious) and the green plastics. I think next I'd should get the hammer light mod and mystery hole light...Haven't seen a snake eyes kit but that seems like a no brainer...

Then you start to get into some pricier stuff where I'll want to pic and choose. (besides a pinpac which is a no brainer as well

So...Thoughts on the 'must have' mods?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

psw-10 polk audio external subwoofer is a must

#3 9 years ago

Cliffy shooter lane and scoop protectors.

#4 9 years ago

Just go to MezelMods and buy EVERYTHING lol. Seriously, the cemetary, Sparky lit helmet, speaker flashers and of course, the fangs for your toothless snake lol. And a sub

#5 9 years ago

Only mod that you have to have and I will mock your machine without is the fangs. Rest is up to you, but teeth for your turtle are non-optional.

#6 9 years ago

mezelmod teeth
imdarras snake head with red eyes
cliffy eject hole and right hand side shooter lane protectors
cliffy mystery hole protector (I think that's where I got mine)

#7 9 years ago

So far I've got Cliffys, side mirrors, Sparky's TV mod, candy purple armor, sound activated speaker lights, and service rails.

Still need sub & snake fangs. Cemetery arch is not my style.

#8 9 years ago

thanks guys. Couple questions...

1) I've never used cliffy's before and I've never had any of the holes on my williams games get trashed (I dont own any sterns...Yet!). Are the cliffy's easy to install and are they really necessary?

2) why replace the service rails?

3) where do you get the sound activated speaker lights?

Thanks everyone.

#9 9 years ago

The prem should have metal service rails. Pros have pegs.
Cliffys are important. especially with a painted shooter lane like ACDC.

#10 9 years ago

Service rails are my favorite MET pro mod. I like to pull the playfield out when waxing. Also makes it easier to service the flipper assemblies.

I went with the mystery hole protector rather than the Cliffy for now.
http://pin-protection.com/index.php/component/hikashop/product/show/5-metallica-mystery-hole-protector

#11 9 years ago

I have a premium with no cliffy and alot of plays. No damage yet but if it does get damaged I'll put them on then. Cliffys on a undamaged game is like plastic on you couches. The big mod I loved and game plays way better is on the premium behind the hammer instead of a captive ball like on the pro they have a square metal block. I replaced mine with the captive ball the pros have and now the snake shot and bounce shot off of the coffin to sparky are way better. You can get the proper captive ball assemble from pinball life and it's a direct bolt on no playfeild modification.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3414

Don't forget to update your code.

#12 9 years ago

Fangs are the only must-have, but I've put a lot of gingerbread on my Pro.

http://mezelmods.com/collections/metallica

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

The big mod I loved and game plays way better is on the premium behind the hammer instead of a captive ball like on the pro they have a square metal block. I replaced mine with the captive ball the pros have and now the snake shot and bounce shot off of the coffin to sparky are way better. You can get the proper captive ball assemble from pinball life and it's a direct bolt on no playfeild modification.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one, I'd put it up with the fangs as a must do. I really like the way it plays better with the true captive ball.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I finally pulled the trigger and am getting a MetPremium. Very excited.
I've ordered the snake tongue decal (just seems obvious) and the green plastics. I think next I'd should get the hammer light mod and mystery hole light...Haven't seen a snake eyes kit but that seems like a no brainer...
Then you start to get into some pricier stuff where I'll want to pic and choose. (besides a pinpac which is a no brainer as well
So...Thoughts on the 'must have' mods?
Thanks!

Here are a some that I consider must haves!!

ColorDMD Sigma http://www.colordmd.com/

Speaker Light kit and acrylics, he also has the connection to hook up the ColorDMD so that it changes with the remote that goes with the speaker light kit. http://www.speakerlightkits.com/

I added Cointaker flashers (color matched to the area it is highlighting, and UV ones to bring out the UV paint I used on my custom toys) and an undercab kit, flipper light kit as well as the backbox kit to get rid of that ugly florescent bulb behind the BG...

I also custom painted about everything that could be painted on mine ...but that is your preference. Do it how you like it...everyone has different styles and things they like. Most importantly, have fun with it!!

Phoebe

P1260040.JPGP1260040.JPG

#15 9 years ago

Oh yeah... Gotta have the lightning and cab decals image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 9 years ago

So far I have put in my Monsters:

Scoop Protector
Shaker Motor
Replaced all incandescent flashers with LED flashers
- Red on ramps and coffin like original
- Blue behind the cross
- Purple under the electric chair (and will do flasher insert in purple too)
Real captive ball
Polk sub underneath the game
Mylared the shooter lane. Well not mylar, but something I think is a bit more durable.

The led flashers are great, but the electric chair ones sit down too far and will need new sockets to raise them up. Or I could mod the existing sockets too I suppose. I don't have a green one for behind the snake and pinball life didn't seem to have them either. I think I will put colored light diffusers under the 4 white inserts above the flippers to match the flasher colors.

I am seeing some airballs off the captive ball that bounce up and hit the hammer. If it continues I may put the block back in.

Rob
Rob

#17 9 years ago

I have a Refinery Edition, and I would recommend every mod that they added to the machine. I can't think of any that I would get rid of.

I have added since then:
Fangs - 100% needed
Flipper Fidelity speakers - great addition
gel inserts for fuel - worth it to pick up with your fang order, but not a huge difference

#18 9 years ago

I still need to cut a piece of lexan that extends out in front of Sparky. I've just been too lazy to do it..

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I still need to cut a piece of lexan that extends out in front of Sparky. I've just been too lazy to do it..

This is an absolute must have. Otherwise you will get lots of airballs from sparky's feet.

Rob

#20 9 years ago

I still like the playfield speakers the best. They flash when you cook Sparky.

image-114.jpgimage-114.jpg

2 weeks later
#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Oh yeah... Gotta have the lightning and cab decals

image.jpg 130 KB

Hi, pinchamp
Although your machine is awesome, I think the BackAlleyCreations speaker panel and the PinballPT "pinblades" suits MET-LE better. I got both and the results were also very satisfying. Congratulations anyway for your great game!
All the best
Jesus

P1110456 flyer view.JPGP1110456 flyer view.JPG
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

So far I have put in my Monsters:
Scoop Protector
Shaker Motor
Replaced all incandescent flashers with LED flashers
- Red on ramps and coffin like original
- Blue behind the cross
- Purple under the electric chair (and will do flasher insert in purple too)
Real captive ball
Polk sub underneath the game
Mylared the shooter lane. Well not mylar, but something I think is a bit more durable.
The led flashers are great, but the electric chair ones sit down too far and will need new sockets to raise them up. Or I could mod the existing sockets too I suppose. I don't have a green one for behind the snake and pinball life didn't seem to have them either. I think I will put colored light diffusers under the 4 white inserts above the flippers to match the flasher colors.
I am seeing some airballs off the captive ball that bounce up and hit the hammer. If it continues I may put the block back in.
Rob

Hi, Rob
I agree with you completely with both flashers in the electric chair, they are too hidden...I think there is room to mount a third one buying the appropiate bulb holder.

I send you an idea of what I did for those inserts you mentioned.
20141122_195459.jpg20141122_195459.jpg

20141115_10730.jpg20141115_10730.jpg

In my MET-LE I have made some improvements in the GI in places where there are no bulbs/leds, I hope you´d like (two white leds in the left cemetery plastic attached to its central post, and other two in the snake plastics, there are good holes there), I´ll send them in a future post.

It´s very strange what you tell about airballs related to the captive ball assembly. I don´t have any problem with it. I have very common airballs in the sparky mini-post rubber, I mounted a bigger rubber that embraces the whole post and the hit is more reliable now.

Could you explain us a little better how did you "mylared" the shooter lane? I´m very interested.

Thanks very much in advance
Jesús

#23 9 years ago

I think the MezelMods fangs and Speakers are the best easy add ons. A sub is also great. I also added the coin door external volume buttons, and headphone out from Pinnivators. It's REALLY handy, and does a nice job of connecting the sub too.

The MezelMod Speakers are so awesome. They really look like they should have been stock on the machine. Perfect scale. Great integration. Tim did an amazing job with these... Which is remarkable, cause he's not a very bright guy!!?? Probably Kristin's idea.

1 month later
#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I still like the playfield speakers the best. They flash when you cook Sparky.

image-114.jpg 50 KB

The Napster logo is a nice touch lol!

Anywho.. Shameless plugfor my Sparky shooter, now available

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-shooter-rod-pinsiders-choice/page/2#post-2197121

image.jpgimage.jpg image-515.jpgimage-515.jpg
#25 9 years ago

So heres a question and not necessarily a mod, but has anybody done anything with the sparky flashers as you fry him at start of multiball? I personally think the light is too blinding and would like to tone that done a little so has anybody done something different there? Perhaps colored flashers or maybe not so many LEDs? Thanks!

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Only mod that you have to have and I will mock your machine without is the fangs.

Agreed. I have the speaker panel sticker which is a nice touch.

Oh and service rails...but that isn't met specific

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I personally think the light is too blinding and would like to tone that done a little

This may break the Pinside. Tone down a game and make it not as bright? Don't hear that everyday

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So heres a question and not necessarily a mod, but has anybody done anything with the sparky flashers as you fry him at start of multiball? I personally think the light is too blinding and would like to tone that done a little so has anybody done something different there? Perhaps colored flashers or maybe not so many LEDs? Thanks!

Actually working on this. Replacing the flashers with El-wire driven by those flashers. The El-wire will be ran around and fastened to his head. This is just a little project on a buddys machine.

#28 9 years ago

Hookedonpinballs logo off the ramp is sick with the lights flashing off the pop flasher.

WP_20150123_23_20_45_Pro.jpgWP_20150123_23_20_45_Pro.jpg
#29 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Hookedonpinballs logo off the ramp is sick with the lights flashing off the pop flasher.

WP_20150123_23_20_45_Pro.jpg 207 KB

I made my own. It's just a $10.00 belt buckle you can get off eBay & make a bracket for it.

#30 9 years ago

Wasn't aware but don't care, I love the addition and kudos to him to have the wits to piece it together and market it.

#31 9 years ago

Got mine this week, Ordered fangs & tounge decal, installed Cliffys, shaker motor, superbands and mirror blades. I changed some of the LED's to colors, the game was too white (IMHO),

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Got mine this week, Ordered fangs & tounge decal, installed Cliffys, shaker motor, superbands and mirror blades. I changed some of the LED's to colors, the game was too white (IMHO),

I here ya, I'm thinking about using some retro white GI instead of the cool white in there.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Cliffy shooter lane and scoop protectors.

I went with the pinprotector inside scoop. http://pin-protection.com/index.php/products/product/show/5-metallica-mystery-hole-protector

I did the same with my ACDC and it has been perfect. The playfield is too nice for a cliffy. I like Cliffy's a lot and they are a godsend for games with worn away scoops but inside protect with no wear.

#34 9 years ago

The mods I have just put in my metallica LE are cemetery arch shaker motor mirror blades snake fangs and tongue decal the three crosses in the back mylar in the shooter Lane Mylar on Sparky magnet and Mylar on the cross magnet captive ball instead of block pin bits green sling plastic sparky Air ball plastic sub woofer plastic protectors I changed out the LEDs across the top of the back of the playfield I used cointaker HP ultras in this area 2 blue 2 purple 2 green purple HP ultras in the spotlight and apron lighting Green HP ultra in the snake spotlight I machined a custom brass bushing for the auto plunger assembly so it did not have any flubbed misfires (shoots straight and true every time now) also I was having a problem with getting air balls off of the captive ball and come to find out it was because the magnet core on the coffin magnet was not level which proved a tough thing to do so what I did was made a paperthin split washer out of brass sheet metal and Placed it around the shaft of the coffin magnet assembly between it's up stop plate which in turn ended up lowering the magnet core just enough to make it perfectly flush. BAM.....no more air balls shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the auto plunger issue or the captive ball airball issue

image.jpgimage.jpg
#35 9 years ago

Added a silver coffin over the captive ball and made a "mini Hetfield" in a hot rod near the fuel targets image-149.jpgimage-149.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

Added a silver coffin over the captive ball and made a "mini Hetfield" in a hot rod near the fuel targets

image.jpg 44 KB

image-149.jpg 131 KB

Who sells the silver coffin? Very Cool

#37 9 years ago

It's a small flask that you can get on Amazon. A Pinsider had a thread about it on here a while back.

#38 9 years ago

I finally aced the orange flipper buttons!! Took me a while but it had to happen.

1422697620125.jpg1422697620125.jpg
#39 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I went with the pinprotector inside scoop. http://pin-protection.com/index.php/products/product/show/5-metallica-mystery-hole-protector
I did the same with my ACDC and it has been perfect. The playfield is too nice for a cliffy. I like Cliffy's a lot and they are a godsend for games with worn away scoops but inside protect with no wear.

Wasn't aware of this and it looks perfect. Just ordered one, thanks for heads-up!

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Who sells the silver coffin? Very Cool

I found it on Amazon, what did you have to do to install it? Thx

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

It's a small flask that you can get on Amazon. A Pinsider had a thread about it on here a while back.

Is that the 3 oz. or 5 oz. size that fits on the playfield?

#42 9 years ago

How do you guys feel about the hammer light mod? Does it take away the effect from the coffin being lit?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I've used the flathead flex flashers and bended them so they are only pointing at sparky. Much easier on the eyes!

#44 9 years ago

Pinbits neon sling and ball guide protectors!

METLE SLINGS.jpgMETLE SLINGS.jpg

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

METLE SLINGS.jpg 318 KB

Nice.......... Do they make them in purple?

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

METLE SLINGS.jpg 318 KB

I LOVE the way these things look- a great addition as is the subwoofer, especially if you like Metallica.... oh wait, I don't like Metallica. Nevermind.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I found it on Amazon, what did you have to do to install it? Thx

Can you share the Amazon link please?

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

I LOVE the way these things look- a great addition as is the subwoofer, especially if you like Metallica.... oh wait, I don't like Metallica. Nevermind.

You don't have to like Metallica to like the Pin (I'm sure it makes it even better) but I'm not a Metallica fan & I just love the game play..

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

How do you guys feel about the hammer light mod? Does it take away the effect from the coffin being lit?

Absolutely not. The mod is great (mine is the red version). I love it. It flashes when you need to hit the block / hammer for a hurry up. Very cool effect that works in the gameplay. Its a must mod which costs very little.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-modsmust-haves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.