Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm looking for some pre-cut mylar to put around the sparky magnet on Metallica. Has anyone used this from Pinball Life: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1980

Any better options?

#2 4 years ago

I installed the pinball life pre-cut mylar on the two small magnets in metallica (cross and sparky) and the cliffy protector on the big one in front of the hammer. I had the other cliffys on the small magnets as well, but after some time, they didn't stick anymore so i did replace them with the mylar circles, and so far so good, they do their job perfectly.

#3 4 years ago

I also used the mylar one's from pinball life and they have held up very well. If you don't have the extended plastic in front of sparky's feet yet get one of those too! Cut's out the airballs coming off him and saves the beating of your magnet. Check the metallica owners thread for the dude that makes them.

Brian

#4 4 years ago

I have it installed and doing very well, I recommend

#5 4 years ago

Where can I find the extended plastic for sparky?

#7 4 years ago

contact rickwh for the sparky plastic, I used the same mylar circle from pinballlife, I used an exacto knife to cut the center of the mylar to get it off the magnet, it works much better that way, for some reason with the mylar over the magnet it would drain sdtm

#8 4 years ago

Check these out...http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

This Ironman protector (the one on the right with the notch cut out) works perfectly for the Sparky magnet. I installed it on mine this weekend without any modifications. The notch fits the left side post in front of Sparky as if it were meant for this game!

I then took the full circle protector pictured on the left and used a bladed compass to make the outer circumference smaller to fit around the graveyard magnet.

Now, I just need to figure out how to remove the Cliffy around the hammer magnet. I keep getting airballs off of the captive ball (Pinball Life version).

3 months later
#9 4 years ago

I installed one of the pinball life mylar magnet protectors infront of sparky and on my cross. The sparky protector is getting eaten alive! Bits of the mylar are breaking off and ending up in random places on the playfield. Does anyone else have this problem? I dont want to replace it every 100 games

#10 4 years ago

If your magnet core isn't level with the playfield the protector will get chewed up. I always level them if they are off, then mylar (and still plan to replace every few thousand plays)

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I installed one of the pinball life mylar magnet protectors infront of sparky and on my cross. The sparky protector is getting eaten alive! Bits of the mylar are breaking off and ending up in random places on the playfield. Does anyone else have this problem? I dont want to replace it every 100 games

The Ironman protector from Marco I installed shows no sign of wear or damage after 50 plays or so. I'll report back if I notice anything.

#12 4 years ago

I had a Cliffy metal magnet protector in front of Sparky but it would bend up, after pressing it back into shape it just did it again. I pulled it off before it would ruin the artwork, now I just need to order the mylar.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

I had a Cliffy metal magnet protector in front of Sparky but it would bend up, after pressing it back into shape it just did it again. I pulled it off before it would ruin the artwork, now I just need to order the mylar.

I had the same issue with mine. Ended up removing all the Cliffy protectors from the playfield.

#14 4 years ago

I had similar issues on my TOTAN. I wound up losing some art when I finally had to pull it off.

1 month later
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Gusphan:

I'm looking for some pre-cut mylar to put around the sparky magnet on Metallica. Has anyone used this from Pinball Life: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1980
Any better options?

does that mylar have a cutout for the magnet?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

does that mylar have a cutout for the magnet?

No it's on the core itself and gets chewed up easily. This is really what you want in magnet areas.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

#17 4 years ago

I just installed a mylar circle and cut around the edge of the magnet with an exacto knife.

#18 4 years ago

Ah ok good to know. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside