(Topic ID: 100457)

Metallica - Love the game, hate the music ...

By gweempose

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8_season_champ.jpg
image.jpg
image-901.jpg
met_dmd_slam_dancing.gif

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

From a gameplay and rules perspective, I think Metallica is one of the best games out there. I even like the artwork. Unfortunately, I can't stand the music, and this is what has prevented me from even considering the game up until this point. After spending some more time on Metallica yesterday, I started thinking that I could perhaps use Pinball Browser to change out all the music and some of the callouts. It seems like this could make for a fun project, and result in a game that I would love to own. What do you guys think?

#2 4 years ago

I'm not a Metallica fan, but I love the machine. Great artwork and gameplay, and the music doesn't bother me at all, you just won't catch me listening to it outside playing the game.

#3 4 years ago

Lars voice is the worst thing in pinball. Stern could have had John Waters do Lars' callouts and it would have been more manly.

Like an idiot, I buy every Metallica album, but they really have not had a truly good album since Master of Puppets.

But all that being said, Metallica is one hell of a great pinball machine!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

From a gameplay and rules perspective, I think Metallica is one of the best games out there. I even like the artwork. Unfortunately, I can't stand the music, and this is what has prevented me from even considering the game up until this point. After spending some more time on Metallica yesterday, I started thinking that I could perhaps use Pinball Browser to change out all the music and some of the callouts. It seems like this could make for a fun project, and result in a game that I would love to own. What do you guys think?

I think if you hate Metallica music, you should not buy a Metallica pinball machine.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think if you hate Metallica music, you should not buy a Metallica pinball machine.

Yet, one could totally hate the movie The Shadow, but love the pinball machine?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yet, one could totally hate the movie The Shadow, but love the pinball machine?

Definitely.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Lars voice is the worst thing in pinball.

"Never seen a snake puke before."

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I would agree with you if we were talking AC/DC, but there is something about the cartoony nature of the Metallica artwork that lends itself to a more generic music theme. This is why I asked for opinions, though. It may be weird to have a game that says "Metallica" all over it and yet doesn't feature any music from the band.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Definitely.

To expound on this: when you are playing a pin based on a bad movie (like The Shadow), you are not forced to watch the movie while playing the pin.

When you are playing a pin based on music (a band) that you don't like, you are forced to listen to that band's music.

So to me there is a big difference between buying a pin based on a bad movie, vs buying one based on a band whose music you hate.

The issue here is the fact that Gweem wants to change out the music, which makes it closer to doing something like buying a pin based on a bad movie. It would just seem very strange to me to have a Metallica pin without any Metallica music on it.

#10 4 years ago

for the life of me I don't know why you would buy or Want a Metallica pinball if you don't like the music that is just ridiculous yeah I think you could change the music maybe something you like like Barry Manilow or maybe George Michael .that's why Borg and l.sheats wanted to do a Metallica pinball because they love the music

#11 4 years ago

Luckily I like Metallica. Though I'm with vid, post Master of Puppets is eh. Such a great game though.

I wouldn't buy one if you can't stand the music. Unlike ACDC the songs are really integrated into the game. CIU modes especially. Be awkward.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jrush2112:

For the life of me I don't know why you would buy or Want a Metallica pinball if you don't like the music ...

Because the game has a fun playfield layout and a kick ass Lyman ruleset. In an ideal world, I would completely re-theme the game, but that's not feasible from an economic standpoint. That's why I'm looking at a compromise I can live with.

#13 4 years ago

Gordon Lightfoot LE !

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

To expound on this: when you are playing a pin based on a bad movie (like The Shadow), you are not forced to watch the movie while playing the pin.

When you are playing a pin based on music (a band) that you don't like, you are forced to listen to that band's music.

I agree with this 100%. There are very few non-music based themes that would prevent me from buying a game. BBH is the only one I can think of at the moment.

#15 4 years ago

Oh hey, just remembered something. Someone, I think it was epthegeek, replaced all his Metallica songs with the instrumental versions. So if you did it right the cue points would be there, the songs would still match the modes, etc, but maybe you'd find them more palatable without the lyrics?

He said the instrumental versions are out there if you look.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree with this 100%. There are very few non-music based themes that would prevent me from buying a game. BBH is the only one I can think of at the moment.

BBH is great!

#17 4 years ago

Not a Metallica fan per se, but like a lot of hard driving rock bands.

I've warmed up to the band as a result of owning the pin. Like about 70% of the songs they included...

#18 4 years ago

I really wish I liked the band. I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, but I at least like their music enough to enjoy playing the game. I honestly loathe 90% of Metallica's catalog. I also feel that AC/DC's music more naturally lends itself to pinball. Some of the Metallica stuff is just downright depressing. For example, check out these lyrics to "One" ...

I Can't Remember Anything
Can't Tell If this Is True or Dream
Deep down Inside I Feel to Scream
this Terrible Silence Stops Me
Now That the War Is Through with Me
I'm Waking up I Can Not See
That There's Not Much Left of Me
Nothing Is Real but Pain Now

Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God,wake Me

Back in the Womb its Much Too Real
in Pumps Life That I must Feel
but Can't Look Forward to Reveal
Look to the Time When I'll Live
Fed Through the Tube That Sticks in Me
Just like a Wartime Novelty
Tied to Machines That Make Me Be
Cut this Life off from Me

Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God,wake Me

Now the World Is Gone I'm Just One
Oh God,help Me Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God Help Me

Darkness

Imprisoning Me
All That I See
Absolute Horror
I Cannot Live
I Cannot Die
Trapped in Myself
Body My Holding Cell

Landmine

Has Taken My Sight
Taken My Speech
Taken My Hearing
Taken My Arms
Taken My Legs
Taken My Soul
Left Me with Life in Hell

#19 4 years ago

I agree. It's a fun game. If it was virtually anything else but a hunting theme, I would own one without hesitation.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I really wish I liked the band.

Your wish is granted!

Oh yeah, I'm a music genie.

Enjoy your Metallica pinball!

#21 4 years ago

Gweem the song isn't nearly as depressing as the book that it was based on : "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo.
Not many metal songs I can remember that motivated me to read the book the lyrics sprouted from. Harrowing and unforgettable novel. One of the few books banned by our U.S. federal government.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not many metal songs I can remember that motivated me to read the book the lyrics sprouted from.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Something Wicked This Way Comes

#23 4 years ago

The game is ok. Metallica has not been the same after Cliff died. 1st 3 albums are thier best, but Megadeth kicks thier ass musically. Kirk Hammett is terrible...............

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Gweem the song isn't nearly as depressing as the book that it was based on : "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo.
Not many metal songs I can remember that motivated me to read the book the lyrics sprouted from. Harrowing and unforgettable novel.

"One" also made me read Johnny Got His Gun.

Only other time that's happened was that Mastodon's Leviathan made me read Moby Dick, and wow, was I glad I did.

"Fade to Black" is my favorite Metallica song and if that's not depressing, I don't know what is.

But it's a Metallica pinball machine. What do you expect?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Kirk Hammett is terrible...............

Maybe that's why he didn't get any strings on his guitar on the translite!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from canea:

"Fade to Black" is my favorite Metallica song and if that's not depressing, I don't know what is.

Exactly. Fade to Black is one of the few Metallica songs I really like, but it's just not something I want to play pinball to.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I really wish I liked the band. I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, but I at least like their music enough to enjoy playing the game. I honestly loathe 90% of Metallica's catalog. I also feel that AC/DC's music more naturally lends itself to pinball. Some of the Metallica stuff is just downright depressing. For example, check out these lyrics to "One" ...

That song is based on the book by Dalton Trumbo called 'Johnny Got His Gun' If you know the story the song is a very good representation of what the main character has to go through.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

One of the few books banned by our U.S. federal government.

lol, no it wasn't. Maybe in some schools, but that's hardly the same thing.

Metallica to me is easily one of the best pins Stern has made, but if you hate the music you hate the music. There are other good games to get.

#29 4 years ago

I really like Metallica's music, have most of their albums. I just cannot stand them when they speak. The call outs drive me nuts. It's ok though as I have no more room in this house.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I really like Metallica's music, have most of their albums. I just cannot stand them when they speak. The call outs drive me nuts. It's ok though as I have no more room in this house.

I feel like the callouts got better with the code updates. It feels like they got rid of the lamer ones (mostly Lars) & added way more good James, Sparky & Snake callouts.

#31 4 years ago

I used to really dislike the callouts, they can be somewhat cheesy ("That snake doesn't look so mean"). But as Rarehero noted they've made them a little better, and honestly now that I own the game they've kind of grown on me. There are a lot of good ones too, that helps. I keep hearing new ones, there must just be a ton of them in the code.

#32 4 years ago

Yep, I agree that they've made them better too. Most of them are decent, with only a few left that really bug me.

Bottom line is that the call outs on MET will never be it's strong point though.

#33 4 years ago

I hate the Rolling Stones & wouldn't buy the pin if it was the funnest game in the world,so I don't understand why you would buy a Tallica if you can't stand the music.

#34 4 years ago

as already told, was absolutly not a fan of the band, but the pin is so good, the music fits very well with the game, than i not only bought the pin, but now i even enjoy the music...

you can read lots of topics here about that pinball, and than you cant be wrong : MET is a fantastic game with no doubt

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree. It's a fun game. If it was virtually anything else but a hunting theme, I would own one without hesitation.

??? - What's wrong with hunting themes? Not everyone that hunts is a two-toothed moron wants to go in the woods and just blow some small animals face off. Some folks just want natural, non-store bought food not pumped with chemicals...

Hasn't everyone here belonged to 4-H when growing up and had to slaughter the capons they grew since they were chicks? Sheesh....!

Duke's loading up the pheasants for dinner... go watch the movie.

#36 4 years ago

The game is fantastic. If you hate the music change it out. Pinball browser allows this easily to be done. The theme is generic enough to lend itself to this. See my "pin that used to be acdc" thread where I did the same thing with acdc including printing a new translite. Why miss out on a good layout and fantastic rules because the music is annoying to you?

I can't believe how short sighted people are that say things like "if you don't like Metallica, why would you buy a Metallica pinball?" How about because the game is great fun and theme isn't the only reason to buy a game? I'd think this might be obvious to a pinball forum. Especially when you can now correct the things you dislike with pinball browser.

#37 4 years ago

I would buy one and switch out the music for what BangerJay has on his, he really took it to a crazy level. But is still very enjoyable to play. Did you play it at the Olympics?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

One is one of the most iconic hard rock/metal songs ever!!! There are plenty of softer songs in the game (unfortunately) if the harder songs bother you and unlike ACDC you can choose one song as your base gameplay background song.

#39 4 years ago

If you can't stand the music, it's probably not a good idea to buy it. Acdc is a bit more forgiving with its hard rock music and grows on you quickly with pinball. Metallica on the other hand is metal, and they've done so much for its genre of music. If there's any bit of metal in your heart, then this is a great pin; from the music, to the art , to the call outs, to the rules... This pin delivers.

#40 4 years ago

I don't like the music at all, but it's one of my fav pins. I bought this pin based on art and software alone, and fully intended to replace the music with Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures, Queens of the Stone Age etc. Other hard rock bands that I actually like. After spending some time with the machine, the music has grown on me. I would NEVER listen to it outside the game, but it really works with the whole package.

I dislike Metallica. I don't hate them, but I certainly don't enjoy their music. Yet, it's my favourite pin.

Compare it to the crappy 90s digitized synth versions of Golden Earring and Edgar Winters songs, and there's nothing to complain about.

I say, don't let the music stop you. Amazing art. Amazing flow. Amazing software, and rockin (though not my taste) sound track.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Some folks just want natural, non-store bought food not pumped with chemicals...

What's wrong with all of America's food being pumped full of chemicals, hormones and genetically modified organisms?

#42 4 years ago

Same here. Not a big fan of the music but a big fan of the pin, fortunately you can pick a track you like the most. Can you turn music down and sound effects up?

#43 4 years ago

Mmmhhhggghhhmmmm
LIONMAN !

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Some of the Metallica stuff is just downright depressing. For example, check out these lyrics to "One" ...

You should have seen the movie that song was based on.

I was a real headbanger back in the 80s and loved Metallica at the time, so I got nostalgic and picked up a METLE right away. But times change and so do musical tastes. After a few months I realized it was not the 80s anymore and I was not going to go back. The music and overall sound of the game started to grate on me, so it had to go.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bottom line is that the call outs on MET will never be it's strong point though.

I dunno, "Jack-Fuckin-Pot!!!" is one of the best callouts ever

#46 4 years ago

Just jump in pinball browser and change it to whatever the f@$k you want. Slayer, Beach Boys, Gorguts, Culture Club.... It's a non-issue with pinball browser.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I don't like the music at all, but it's one of my fav pins. I bought this pin based on art and software alone, and fully intended to replace the music [...] After spending some time with the machine, the music has grown on me. I would NEVER listen to it outside the game, but it really works with the whole package.

This is exactly what happened to me. My son loves Metallica, and I was a little below "meh" on them (I kept thinking of Beavis & Butthead). I bought the game thinking I'd substitute some other band, but now I freakin' love the music. I do plan to substitute some other songs, including a few that aren't Metallica (shhh).

Gweem, this game is fantastic, and it would be a shame to miss it just because of the music. I agree that "One" and "Unforgiven" need to go, but the rest of the songs are great for pinball. I'm more likely to fire up some 60's guitar jazz when I get home at night, but that music just doesn't work for pins.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, I agree that they've made them better too. Most of them are decent, with only a few left that really bug me.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno, "Jack-Fuckin-Pot!!!" is one of the best callouts ever

I think there's a good variety of callouts that fit the game very well. But, some of the music does irk me a bit. For example, I find the guitar beginning on RTL to be very grating, almost like nails on a chalkboard. SBT is not the greatest song for snake multiball either. But overall I enjoy the game and find the music ok. Not as energetic or rocking as ACDC though.

Rob

#49 4 years ago

I wish Brendan Small would have done ALL the call-outs on Metallica. He's hilarious, and he has extensive experience doing voice acting for countless characters in television shows.

I am in the same boat as you though Gweem, and I've actually got the Metallica code on my desktop because I was trying to change the music. Unfortunately I don't know anybody in my area with a Metallica to test it on.

#50 4 years ago

I think this thread should recommend some alternate songs & musicians. Right now I'm checking these out for candidate songs:

Intronaut - Habitual Levitations
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Thanks for reminding me that some of the songs in the 1.6 ROM still suck, lol.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Elkhart, IN
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside