Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14972585557491769374186 (resized).jpg
20170612_123357 (resized).jpg
20170612_123328 (resized).jpg
20170612_123033 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My Metallica LE lights (6) directly behind Sparky aren't working each time I turn it on unless I reseat the connector located on CN2 next to the blue data cable.

Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do before i start tinkering? There are two wires (black and red) coming out of it and the connector is turning a brownie colour.

Thanks

20170612_123033 (resized).jpg20170612_123033 (resized).jpg

20170612_123328 (resized).jpg20170612_123328 (resized).jpg

20170612_123357 (resized).jpg20170612_123357 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

You mean the GI on the backboard? The GI in Met LE is controlled, and most problems seem to stem from the data cable. The connector you have there is the power though, and if reseating that every time fixes it then perhaps start by replacing that connector.
Reseating the power may not, however be highlighting a problem with the power connector itself. It may be that by reseating the power you are power cycling the board and that is overcoming an issue with the data. If you can, try another data cable and see if that helps. New data cables have helped most of the cases of controlled GI issues, I believe.
Connector turning brown? Is it getting super hot?

#3 6 years ago

Nice gels by the way. I wonder who put those in?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

My Metallica LE lights (6) directly behind Sparky aren't working each time I turn it on unless I reseat the connector located on CN2 next to the blue data cable.
Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do before i start tinkering? There are two wires (black and red) coming out of it and the connector is turning a brownie colour.
Thanks

Your answer is probably here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-gi-out-on-metallica-led-solution

You have a displacement connector on the power for that board (next to where the data cable is plugged in). Stern is sending too much current through that and it's heating up and oxidizing the connectors. They were supposed to switch over to trifurcon crimped connectors to solve this. Replacing the three pin connector solves the problem for another year or two.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You have a displacement connector on the power for that board (next to where the data cable is plugged in). Stern is sending too much current through that and it's heating up and oxidizing the connectors. They were supposed to switch over to trifurcon crimped connectors to solve this. Replacing the three pin connector solves the problem for another year or two.

Did you ever get around to measuring the current going through there?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You mean the GI on the backboard? The GI in Met LE is controlled, and most problems seem to stem from the data cable. The connector you have there is the power though, and if reseating that every time fixes it then perhaps start by replacing that connector.
Reseating the power may not, however be highlighting a problem with the power connector itself. It may be that by reseating the power you are power cycling the board and that is overcoming an issue with the data. If you can, try another data cable and see if that helps. New data cables have helped most of the cases of controlled GI issues, I believe.
Connector turning brown? Is it getting super hot?

Hmm it's a super nice machine this one @timebandit. Wonder who had it originally cause whoever did made it a super nice machine

I tried a new data cable thanks to AMD and reading your previous postings (yes I've been stalking your posts) but no such luck unfortunately.

The connector doesn't appear to be getting hot.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks PinMonk my next thought was to buy a new three pin connector and give that a try. Any suggestions on where i should purchase one?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Hmm it's a super nice machine this one timebandit. Wonder who had it originally cause whoever did made it a super nice machine
I tried a new data cable thanks to AMD and reading your previous postings (yes I've been stalking your posts) but no such luck unfortunately.
The connector doesn't appear to be getting hot.

The data cable was an issue before the power connector issue as brought up by vireland. Both are issues now so, as he points out, power connector replacement probably required.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Did you ever get around to measuring the current going through there?

I haven't looks like I should give that a crack as well.

oh and those gel inserts are schmik mate.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Thanks vireland my next thought was to buy a new three pin connector and give that a try. Any suggestions on where i should purchase one?

I can make you up a replacement, with trifurcon crimps, in about ten minutes. What's on the other end of the cable?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I can make you up a replacement, with trifurcon crimps, in about ten minutes. What's on the other end of the cable?

Awesome thanks TimeBandit ...just trying to find the other end...geez she's been tied up with plenty of cable ties. I'll get a pic for you.

#12 6 years ago

Ive had a look on mine to trace it back but sheesh what a spaghetti. Looks like it goes to this ?

14972585557491769374186 (resized).jpg14972585557491769374186 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

Ive had a look on mine to trace it back but sheesh what a spaghetti. Looks like it goes to this ?

Makes sense. But means to do a replacement cable you'd have to rip the old one out then press new ones in with an IDC tool. Probably easier to fit new crimps in situ at the other end.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks for your help Con. I lost it once it went under the playfield. Can anyone else confirm this is correct?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Makes sense. But means to do a replacement cable you'd have to rip the old one out then press new ones in with an IDC tool. Probably easier to fit new crimps in situ at the other end.

Thanks Mike, can you explain that to a non tech head like me in layman terms?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Thanks for your help Con. I lost it once it went under the playfield. Can anyone else confirm this is correct?

Schematic in the manual will confirm it.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Thanks Mike, can you explain that to a non tech head like me in layman terms?

I could send you a replacement cable, then you'd have to pull the old one out of that connector at the CPU board, then press the new wires into the connector using a specific tool for the job. Then run the cable back along the route of the old one.
Or you snip off the old three pin connector at the playfield end and fit your new crimps and housing there. That would actually be easier, but you would have to go back to plan A of getting the crimps, the housing, a crimp tool, and replacing the connector..I couldn't really help.
Sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#18 6 years ago

ok thanks Mike, really appreciate your time and help

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Thanks vireland my next thought was to buy a new three pin connector and give that a try. Any suggestions on where i should purchase one?

Get some from pinball life along with some trifurcon connectors to do the replacement right rather than using the insulation displacement connectors that cause the issue.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

ok thanks Mike, really appreciate your time and help

Yeah, get the trifurcon connectors and the 3 pin plastic connector. You can use needle nose pliers in a pinch instead of a crimp tool. Best to do it right and not have to do it again for a loooong time.

3 weeks later
#21 6 years ago

Yep the 3 pin connector has done the trick. Thanks to TimeBandit for sending me some and letting me know what to look for.
Also to PinMonk for responding and your guidance.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-lights-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.