0709131159b.jpg
0709131200.jpg
0709131159b.jpg
metallicaoldlady.jpg
blade.jpg
11photo.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

$6K by Christmas....c'mon, someone had to say it

BIBLE's cloudy window didn't cause the price to drop. As much as some people REALLY want this game to be worthless...it won't be. Premium is the same game, but there will always be people who want the LE and didn't get it at pre-order. It is what it is.

Quoted from hank527:

Premiums will not be powder coated - so issues with legs etc.., should not exist.
Captive ball area hole will need protection some how.

What's causing the captive ball area to wear already? Is the core not even w/ the playfield? Show some pics...I'm curious what this wear looks like. In any case, I was planning on cutting a mylar circle to protect that area anyway.

Quoted from hank527:

hammer blocks your view

Blocks your view of what? What is it that you're struggling to see with the hammer there? I've found pinpeople's concepts of "view blocking" to be very strange. Like on X-Men - Wolverine never blocked my view of anything...the ice ramp never blocked my view of anything.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Looks like the captive ball lock on TOTAN and those are always worn around the magnet from the magnet plunging and popping back up.

Usually wear is caused by the ball grazing the surface in an abrasive way. I imagine wear would be caused from the ball hitting the wood lip if it's not flush with the magnet core. I don't see how the core itself going up and down would cause any surface wear.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I agree, as that would be the only contact that could cause it.
It is just a common thing on those types of mechanisms. When people get theirs, they will have to adjust it if they see the wear. I don't know how preemptive somebody can be on it as it is hard to detect if it is flush enough to not cause wear.

Well, I'm gonna pick up one of those x-acto circle cutters and make a really good mylar ring to put around that magnet when I get my game on Thursday! Wonder why Stern doesn't do this at the factory.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

LE lighting is good like Xmen and Avengers not Awesome like ACDC. I guess they abandoned color changing inserts which is a shame.

Metallica LE/Prem has 6 color changing inserts...the arrow ones w/ the spider. Code prob just isn't programmed for them yet.

#96 10 years ago

I'm not really a fan of the full-cover magnet mylar...it seems to affect the way the magnet affects the ball (at least on Spidey). What happened to the Ironman protectors that were a ring around the magnet? Pinball Life used to have them...Marco has them listed but sold out. You'll definitely need that style for the hammer magnet since a full cover won't make sense there. I dunno, I'm just gonna cut them myself w/ an X-acto compass....I'll post some pics so you guys can see how they come out.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Blocking Sparky from the right flipper shot sounds frustrating as I hit him quite frequently off that flipper. Guess I'll have to play it in person to see what I think.

Plllllease tell me how he's "blocked" !?!? The hammer is hovering. You're shooting UNDER it. You can see your flipper...you know the trajectory of the ball based on where the ball is when you flip...you know where Sparky is as he is clearly visible. C'mon! This is silly. Nothing is blocked.

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I'm pretty sure they are referring to field of vision. I'm guessing that the hammer partially visibly blocks the shooting lane to Sparky.
Don't know though, I'm just assuming.

How does that affect gameplay though? It's not like Tommy where blinders cover your flippers. It's not like someone's putting their hands in front of your eyes. It's a bizarre complaint which seems to have popped up recently. Things blocking your shot when they really don't. Seeing your flipper and its target (in this case Sparky) is absolutely the same even if there's a hammer floating in there somewhere. It doesn't change how you gauge a shot. Same w/ the X-Men ice ramp. If it's hovering over the middle of the playfield and all your shots are up high...it doesn't "block" your shot, your vision, the ball, or anything lol. I dunno...I'm glad I'm not bothered by stuff that bothers others. If you don't like cool toys, get the Pro

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have a feeling it'll be like the iceman ramp where a select few (self included) say it doesn't obstruct anything where in fact it really does.

Sorry to be all brokenrecordy, but wtf does the ramp "block"? It's in the middle of the playfield and all your shots are complete visible. That's like saying the artwork in the middle of the playfield is blocking your shots LOL. No one complains about Avengers Hawkeye ramp blocking shots. OH NO, but it's right in the middle of the playfield! I can't see anything beyond it lol

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Bottom left on the hole. You can see its very mild wear. Though this was after 1 hour of play.

This is the dreaded wear!??!!?

Look, I'm all for Stern using more clear, putting mylar where it belongs, etc...but c'mon...

#189 10 years ago

Hoby1 - you shouldn't be using the Pincab protectors on the legs. Stern games now come with "leg protectors" that keep the leg from touching the cab....those Pincabs will crinkle your cabinet decals...I'd remove those ASAP.

Edit: Although I suppose the Stern protectors will also keep the Pincabs from touching the decals....still...you don't need them.

#197 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why have they changed to plastic??????
Those metal protectors were one of the best things Stern have done for ages!

Cheaper. Accomplishes the same function and it's covered by the leg...so it's not like anything anyone would notice once the leg's attached.

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Exactly; which explains the price hike. Wait.....

Yeah, well...lol.

If we looked at every nickel and dime in these games we'd go insane.

It comes down to this: Do I want this cool game with this cool art and cool music and fun layout and (hopefully) cool Lyman rules? Yes. Am I gonna not buy it cuz it has plastic leg protectors instead of metal ones? F*ck no.

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

But if I did I would purchase the far superior PRO model!

Superior? C'mon...it's a great Pro but it's still "less than"

#216 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Lol OH PINSIDE!

LOL I was gonna "OH PINSIDE" YOU! Beat me to it...

#271 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

We get a kick ass mirrored back glass and Armor.

..and speaker M's

#333 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Anyone try some dead ball foam on the captive ball area yet?

You wouldn't want to do that. It's a newton ball (cube). You need the transfer of energy from the cube to the ball so the ball hits the target. Also, you want that satisfying THUNK. Deadening that area with foam will make it feel shitty and probably make it so the captive ball won't get the impact energy to hit the target.

#336 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Hmm. Have you noticed any of the wear that the op was talking about? I don't think there's a pic in this thread. Just trying to understand how bad it is.

Don't worry about it. It's a metal newton cube. It's supposed to be hit. Mine has a "streak" on it just like any other metal-on-metal thing in a pinball like ball guides. It's not even remotely visible by the player as the Hammer is over it. If it bothers you, remove it and replace it w/ a newton ball like on the Pro. You still won't see it lol.

What will putting foam on it do? "Protect it" while removing it's actual function? C'mon.

#371 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

WTF Stern, where are our protectors!

Cut a mylar. Done. ~200 games on mine w/ mylar ring...all is spiffy.

The bigger issue at hand is the sensitivity of the magnet core and how it doesn't like to catch the ball when you smash the captive ball (too fast? too much movement?). We'll see if they can come up with a software solution...if not, I wonder what the physical solution would be. Could there be a better material for the metal core that's more conductive/sensitive? Would there be a way to augment the sensor board to "amp up" the ability to sense the ball at faster speeds?

#382 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

staples or any office store

That stuff might be too thin, though...any of the online pinball parts stores sell good playfield mylar sheets.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:Maybe switching balls for a different more metal composite

Actually I had a new idea that might help the magnet sensitivity thing. Turns out it doesn't need metal on metal contact...I put a bunch of paper over the magnet and it still caught the ball. So, I was thinking - maybe putting some kind of non-slip grippy adhesive disc on the magnet core (something like the Tron disc material) might help give some traction to the ball when you're slamming the captive ball, and perhaps result in more consistent grabs. I have some adhesive felt circles at home...not that I'd use felt as a permanent solution, but maybe I can use some just as an experiment to see if I'm onto something here.

#413 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Hey are the RGB lighting inserts implemented yet with different colors for different things?

So far this is what I've noticed.

-Spider inserts are white when "selected" and turn red when you complete them w the coffin hurry up

-Fuel lane turns purple when ready for 2x scoring and pink-purple when 2x is active.

-GI has various color fx. Red "burst" when a ramp combo is started. All blue when Grave Marker Super Jackpot is collected....a few others.

#471 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

My game is currently a piece of art still Waiting for drop bank parts from Stern for about a week now..only got maybe 20 games on it...bah!!
This calls for beers, big ones!!

My first inline drop snapped off tonite.

#492 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

A better question would be: "Are there some BETTER drop targets that could be substituted here and wouldn't break as quick?"

I don't know if they're the same shape, but maybe the black TNT ones from AC/DC would be better. Those take straight-on powerful hits and I don't think I've heard of them breaking on anyone's games. Mine's had prob over 1000 plays and everything's groovy.

#497 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

I was wondering the same thing about the ACDC drop targets. I think the reason they don't break is due to the support from that rubber ring behind them or could it be what the black plastic is made from(more flexible).Just a thought

The rubber ring isn't really support...it's there so the ball has something to bounce off of when the target is down. The target is still getting slammed with a metal ball and getting slammed back into the wood (then it drops because the plastic lip is pushed away from the metal surface it's resting on). So - yeah, I'm just guessing the black plastic is more durable or flexible *shrug*

#501 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I am guessing the ACDC drop targets don't break nearly as much is because they aren't rollover drop targets. Rollover targets only have one narrow section that holds the target up above the playfield. The standard drops have two sections...
ACDC
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6305-00
Metallica
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6102-01

That doesn't look like the Metallica target. The Metallica target is identical to that AC/DC one, but white.

#507 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Air balls: I get a lot of them. He pointed out to me that the vast majority of air balls are due to Sparky's feet, or the overpowered right sling. The feet there is no way to address,

Yes there is. There's a clear plastic over Sparky's feet...if it were redesigned to extend further, PAST his feet, it would act as an anti-lofting shield and you'd never see another airball off those feet again.

#516 10 years ago

Yay, Pat Powers @ Stern is sending me some new drop targets! Pat rules!

#518 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Same here, but Stern still needs to find fix or they'll be send out replacements all the time. Hopefully there working on something..

Seems there's a bad batch from suppliers...they're on it.

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Cruising along in my first 100M+ game and the ball gets stuck in the left orbit. Looks like the rail isn't bent quite right and it's just tight enough to stop a slow ball.
Any suggestions to fix this without ripping everything off and rebending the rail? I'd like to do something with everything in place, but there doesn't seem to be enough play in the rail to do anything to it while it's in place.

That's happened to a bunch of ours...I just pressed it in w/ my fingers on the section "above" the opto and it's been fine since.

#523 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Are the wire rails black, or typical chrome or what? I thought they were black, but in this pic it looks like they go both ways? I know it's a bright photo... just curious.

Black, but you're seeing the metal orbit lane guide under it.

#526 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What about shifting that plastic over? This happened on my Avengers and all I needed to do was loosen a screw and slide the plastic over a few millimeters. DCFan's idea. And a damn good one!

It's not stuck on a plastic, it's stuck on a metal wire-guide.

#547 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

So I played about 10 games of Metallica (presumably the pro) tonight with one of my friends. It reminds us both of Avatar with slightly different layout.

That's like saying all pinballs remind you of other pinballs lol ...how on earth is Metallica like Avatar!?!?

-2 Metal ramps vs. 1 plastic ramp
-Ramps return to opposite flipper vs. Ramp returns to same flipper (assuming you're not backhanding)
-2 kickout scoops vs. none
-"Side pocket shot" vs nothing
-Sparky up the center vs. a Robot with a 3-bank to the left
-Inline drops vs. nothing
-Dual orbit flow vs. left orbit only flow (Avatar has a 1 way pops gate if you shoot from the right)
-Hand drawn art vs. photo art
-2 Magnets (3 if Prem/LE) vs. 1
-OK, they both have a newton captive ball...but Avatar also has a captive ball lock

So, my conclusion is...you either haven't played Avatar or you don't understand the nuance of pinball design at all.

#549 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I don't know Greg, it might be Avatar 2.0.

LOL. Your'e right, why would I deny this. I'll put some Mattel Avatar toys on my game and get it over with!

#565 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

And Avatar sucks IMO.

How would you know? You've clearly never played it.

#568 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

You must be young and new to the pin world. Many Stern games around 7-12 years ago were barely hyped, much less overhyped. These days, well, I honestly think it's just sad. Slap a popular theme on the same old reshuffled fan-layout game, use cheaper components, hype it and presell LEs, repeat....

Stern doesn't hype the games....the hobbyists do!

People want cool themes and cool themes sell...what should they do, make a Thunderbirds pin?

Classic fan layout games are selling for 10-20k now. They got shit for doing something unique like WOF. Why wouldn't they use popular designs?

#572 10 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

So,no one else is having the ball get stuck behind the fuel targets on the LE.
Lately it happens about once per game.
Easy to get loose if you have a multiball going,not so much if you don't.
The game is level side to side as well.

Nope. Never has happened. Where exactly is it getting stuck? The Fuel target bar has no room behind it to get stuck, and the Fuel lane is plenty wide. Is the wire ball guide on the left of the Fuel lane flush against the wood "wall"? If not, maybe that's what's doing it on your machine.

#611 10 years ago

Zdoor - try the Tallica Sux font with a fine point Sharpie...it's much easier to match the Donny-style font w/ a pen vs. a paint brush. Sparky.jpegSparky.jpeg

#622 10 years ago

Couldn't find any pics to go from.

Here ya ago...this is the reason I did the whites in the eyes to make the Donny U-shaped pupil

Donny_Sparky.jpgDonny_Sparky.jpg

#636 10 years ago
Quoted from CitznFish:

I have no idea what RAZA stands for.

Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland ...Jpop's pin due in 2042. What...you DIDN'T PREORDER?!?!?!?!

#639 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's funny Rare! It will be here first half of next year, they are making excellent progress..

Hey, good for you for living with such optimism! It's healthy!

#641 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have plenty of experience in dealing with missed deadlines, progress points, etc.....in fact, with JJP and the last 2 1/2 years I'd say I'm an expert! As such, by comparison, its looking good at Jpop...

Well, with the first game not done yet...I don't see the 2nd being done early next year but hey...TO OPTIMISM! *clink* Cheers!

#668 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Don't like how after Cross multiball, when you just have 1 ball in play, shots to the cross with the drops still down don't register for anything.

I think they do that cuz it's waiting for you to hit a ramp or scoop shot to reset the targets. If the targets were to pop up while the ball was over or behind them, that would be bad news. The game can't drop them during ball search so that would F everything up. That being said, yeah - maybe if you hit it while it's still up it could be some kinda hidden award like the old "Sneaky Locks" or something.

#673 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

No way to hook up a tournament button on Metallica correct?

No. Take out the plug, put in a Tournament button. You need to put on a diode and solder one of the wires.

#681 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Hey, thanks for the input. However, before you post something like this, can you make sure you verify that it is happening at least 5-7 times?
I've never had the issue after a ball being in the coffin.

I went into the Magnet test, and it would not activate/sense while there was a ball in the coffin. As soon as I got it out, it all worked again. So - it seems logical that a magnet bug could happen when you reset with a ball locked.

1 week later
#737 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Cool Thanks.
How do you start Seek and Destroy?

-Shooting a shot lights the spider arrow
-While that arrow is lit - hitting Sparky, Cross or Snake will light up the insert on that shot.
-Light all the inserts and that shot will pulse...shoot it, that starts the Coffin Hurry Up.
-Get the Coffin Hurry Up and that pulsing shot is now "collected" (Stays solid)
-Collect them all to start Seek and Destroy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-impressions-comments-problems-mods?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.