0709131159b.jpg
0709131200.jpg
0709131159b.jpg
metallicaoldlady.jpg
blade.jpg
11photo.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 16.
#501 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I am guessing the ACDC drop targets don't break nearly as much is because they aren't rollover drop targets. Rollover targets only have one narrow section that holds the target up above the playfield. The standard drops have two sections...
ACDC
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6305-00
Metallica
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6102-01

That doesn't look like the Metallica target. The Metallica target is identical to that AC/DC one, but white.

#502 10 years ago

I had a lengthy conversation with Patrick at Stern yesterday. He phoned me back in response to an email I sent outlining my problems, and he did it after hours which I thought was very cool of him. Here are a few things I learned from speaking with him...

Air balls: I get a lot of them. He pointed out to me that the vast majority of air balls are due to Sparky's feet, or the overpowered right sling. The feet there is no way to address, the OP right sling will be fixed in software update 1.15.

Ball trough eject: Most of the time it would eject into the shooter lane wall and then go straight back down the eject scoop. Then spit out two balls, or no balls, or cause me to scream profanities at nobody. Simple fix by bending the eject scoop tab TOWARDS the plunger. The ball now ejects perfectly every single time.

Inline drop target gong show: They are well aware of all of the issues and are putting a kit together. The assembly designers are currently working on a fix for the stubborn drops rejecting balls, and we'll need to be patient until they have a solution. The opto reset issue has already been addressed and they have a retrofit available for the opto board. Contact them.

Software v1.15: Lyman is working on it and it should have some significant improvements. Patrick didn't ask me to keep the info under wraps or anything but I'm not sure if they want the release date for v1.15 announced. I WILL say that you will be playing a whole new Metallica game next weekend.

Cheers,
Greg

#503 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That doesn't look like the Metallica target. The Metallica target is identical to that AC/DC one, but white.

Do you know if they are the same style as the ones used on WPT? I have about 7 drop targets left over from that pin and would hope they would fit.

#504 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I also asked for new T-molding, mine looks like it was cut by a 3year old, all ragged and crooked.

My T-molding is wavy and dented. I can't stop staring at it. It looks like they had a hard time forcing it in the groove and just mashed it in there.

#505 10 years ago
Quoted from SPAZ:

My T-molding is wavy and dented

Mine too, Stern needs a proper insallation tool.

#506 10 years ago

All it should take is a rubber mallet and making sure the groove cut for the molding is cleaned out and doesn't have shit in it.

Quoted from McCune:

#507 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Air balls: I get a lot of them. He pointed out to me that the vast majority of air balls are due to Sparky's feet, or the overpowered right sling. The feet there is no way to address,

Yes there is. There's a clear plastic over Sparky's feet...if it were redesigned to extend further, PAST his feet, it would act as an anti-lofting shield and you'd never see another airball off those feet again.

#508 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

All it should take is a rubber mallet

Sure does,I can see every wack of the mallet in my trim .

#509 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Reminds me of Avengers honestly.

well then at least there's hope!

#510 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I had a lengthy conversation with Patrick at Stern yesterday. He phoned me back in response to an email I sent outlining my problems, and he did it after hours which I thought was very cool of him. Here are a few things I learned from speaking with him...
Air balls: I get a lot of them. He pointed out to me that the vast majority of air balls are due to Sparky's feet, or the overpowered right sling. The feet there is no way to address, the OP right sling will be fixed in software update 1.15.

I added a 4 ohm resistor to my slings. It takes the edge off helping air ball situation. Did same on acdc, xmen, avatar, tron. All my stern games with the 50v slings.

#511 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I added a 4 ohm resistor to my slings. It takes the edge off helping air ball situation. Did same on acdc, xmen, Avatar, tron. All my stern games with the 50v slings.

You're weird.

#512 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You're weird.

Haha!

Did you wax the resistors too Mark?

Sorry .. Couldn't resist ...

Seriously, I'd love to see your collection one day Mark. I'm in Denver next year, maybe we can make it happen ...

rd

#513 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

what is the proper tool? I love tools!

#514 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Wow yup was wondering why mine looked like that.. Deffanatly was forced in with a hammer. Wavy as hell

#515 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I added a 4 ohm resistor to my slings. It takes the edge off helping air ball situation. Did same on acdc, xmen, Avatar, tron. All my stern games with the 50v slings.

pics or it didnt happen lol OF ALL OF THEM!

#516 10 years ago

Yay, Pat Powers @ Stern is sending me some new drop targets! Pat rules!

#517 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yay, Pat Powers @ Stern is sending me some new drop targets! Pat rules!

Same here, but Stern still needs to find fix or they'll be send out replacements all the time. Hopefully there working on something..

#518 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Same here, but Stern still needs to find fix or they'll be send out replacements all the time. Hopefully there working on something..

Seems there's a bad batch from suppliers...they're on it.

#519 10 years ago

Cruising along in my first 100M+ game and the ball gets stuck in the left orbit. Looks like the rail isn't bent quite right and it's just tight enough to stop a slow ball.

Any suggestions to fix this without ripping everything off and rebending the rail? I'd like to do something with everything in place, but there doesn't seem to be enough play in the rail to do anything to it while it's in place.

IMG_2219sm.jpgIMG_2219sm.jpg

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Cruising along in my first 100M+ game and the ball gets stuck in the left orbit. Looks like the rail isn't bent quite right and it's just tight enough to stop a slow ball.
Any suggestions to fix this without ripping everything off and rebending the rail? I'd like to do something with everything in place, but there doesn't seem to be enough play in the rail to do anything to it while it's in place.

That's happened to a bunch of ours...I just pressed it in w/ my fingers on the section "above" the opto and it's been fine since.

#521 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Why not just put in a different coil? Like a 26-1200?

#522 10 years ago

Are the wire rails black, or typical chrome or what? I thought they were black, but in this pic it looks like they go both ways? I know it's a bright photo... just curious.

#523 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Are the wire rails black, or typical chrome or what? I thought they were black, but in this pic it looks like they go both ways? I know it's a bright photo... just curious.

Black, but you're seeing the metal orbit lane guide under it.

#524 10 years ago

Bend the inner guide a bit. This has happened to a few people i know so far.

#525 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Bend the inner guide a bit. This has happened to a few people i know so far.

What about shifting that plastic over? This happened on my Avengers and all I needed to do was loosen a screw and slide the plastic over a few millimeters. DCFan's idea. And a damn good one!

#526 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What about shifting that plastic over? This happened on my Avengers and all I needed to do was loosen a screw and slide the plastic over a few millimeters. DCFan's idea. And a damn good one!

It's not stuck on a plastic, it's stuck on a metal wire-guide.

#527 10 years ago

I had the EXACT same thing happen before. Not sure how it happened because it was in a multi-ball. Looks like another thing that will need a fix.

edit: Nevermind, I spoke too soon. For me it got stuck on the plastic above that area, in the top left corner.

#528 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

To me this game just feels like a clunky mess right now. I'm honestly pretty disappointed right now, all of these things added up just make it a frustrating experience so far. Reminds me of Avengers honestly.

Well then you can look at it this way......if you are experiencing hassles with a MET that reminds you of Avengers......just wait till you get the MET dialed in/set up correctly and have all the small niggling issues fixed.........then, like a 'fixed' Avengers, you will have a SUPERB game !

#529 10 years ago

Hi,

So I played about 10 games of Metallica (presumably the pro) tonight with one of my friends. It reminds us both of Avatar with slightly different layout. I'm glad you guys like it, but I honestly don't get why it's popular. It seems to be the worst new Stern pin since.. well.. Avatar.

BTW, I know it's not an LE so some might consider this off-topic but what the hell am I missing? Like the music/theme and the artwork but the game itself sucks. Did anyone who loves it have this initial reaction? If so, how long did it take to grow on you and what changed your mind?

#530 10 years ago

Anyone put a speaker upgrade kit in their game yet? I installed a pinball pro kit and the right speaker is making weird static noises above volume 45 with the dial in the backbox at 2/3rds of the way to the right. Emailed pinball pro but haven't heard back.

#531 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Anyone put a speaker upgrade kit in their game yet? I installed a pinball pro kit and the right speaker is making weird static noises above volume 45 with the dial in the backbox at 2/3rds of the way to the right. Emailed pinball pro but haven't heard back.

I put in a flipper fidelity kit this afternoon and it sounds great. Sounds like you mast have a faulty wire or something.

#532 10 years ago

Love my LE but I have an issue with the coffin lock dropping my ball into the playfeld. It may be that I'm missing a shield to prevent this. Not sure, can someone confirm? I have pics in this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-issue-with-coffin-lock

#533 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Hi,
I'm glad you guys like it, but I honestly don't get why it's popular. It seems to be the worst new Stern pin since.. well.. Avatar.

Because when the cool kids buy it; they have a way of knowing how to overhype the community. From following the MET threads, this game seems worse off than avengers. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I really like avengers. But it required a lot of babysitting.

#534 10 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Did not like the trim....

Quoted from smassa:

I also was considering going with chrome and after seeing your pics feel it looks much better then the stock kit.

I was thinking of going with a powder coated candy blue on mine.

#535 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

So I played about 10 games of Metallica (presumably the pro) tonight with one of my friends. It reminds us both of Avatar with slightly different layout. I'm glad you guys like it, but I honestly don't get why it's popular. It seems to be the worst new Stern pin since.. well.. Avatar.

10 games is hardly enough. Plus, the software isn't near done yet. Give it some time and more plays. It may surprise you. I don't own one, but I like what I see so far. Already better than Avatar IMO.

One of the reasons it's popular is because of the original art. People have been dying for original art seemingly forever. Did you like the art? (opinions above based strictly on gameplay, not art)

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

I was thinking of going with a powder coated candy blue on mine.

That's not particularly "metal" though ....

Maybe a gloss black or the chrome is the way to go.

Lars would approve of this.

rd

#537 10 years ago

Has anybody else had the ball get caught behind the snakes lower lip?

#538 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Hi,
BTW, I know it's not an LE so some might consider this off-topic but what the hell am I missing? Like the music/theme and the artwork but the game itself sucks. Did anyone who loves it have this initial reaction? If so, how long did it take to grow on you and what changed your mind?

Its not a big deal, not everyone likes AC/DC or MM or AFM or any title for that matter. Not everyone will like Metallica. Its still way too early and you still need a lot more time with it especially with more complete code. There were many guys like you at this stage with AC/DC who now love it so be patient...

#539 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Its not a big deal, not everyone likes AC/DC or MM or AFM or any title for that matter. Not everyone will like Metallica. Its still way too early and you still need a lot more time with it especially with more complete code. There were many guys like you at this stage with AC/DC who now love it so be patient...

Yup and still then, some people will not like it Because of this or Because of that,We all have our
own Taste on games,women and cars...

#540 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Well, you played the Pro, so you already know you're missing the lighting changes, spinners, etc. But even so, I love playing the Pro. The layout is familiar and fluid. And what shot you need to hit changes with nearly every shot you just hit. It's going to be an incredible ruleset when finished.

Can't tell you exactly what you're missing because you don't say what you didn't like about it, really. Just that it reminds you of Avatar, which isn't a bad game at all actually. But MET does not remind me of Avatar... more like ACDC on roids...

MET is like pinball crack right now. We have a Pro on location and a MOP at a friend's house in town, and when I'm not playing MET then I'm thinking about how to get into my next session...

#541 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I'd be fine with the post, if it worked how it's supposed to.

The post seemed to reject about half the left orbit shots on our Pro on location at first. Now a few weeks later, it seems about 1 in 5 shots get rejected.

I know you have experience with new pins and new clear, and what may happen is the glass-like play of the new clear will settle down just slightly after a couple hundred plays. That's what seems to have happened with the Pro we play. But I hear you, it really shouldn't reject any shots. When it rejects though, instead of going into the jets it simply rolls back to your left flipper... not the worst thing in the world either.

Hopefully that will get better, because I've noticed this also, just not to the same degree. We've also had the post stop the shot dead, and have to nudge it to get it moving again, but not very often.

#542 10 years ago

So it is too early to dislike the game, but it is not too early to like it???

Some of you guys play by an odd set of rules.

I am amazed how many issues seem to be coming up. I thought Stern had stepped up the QC on this game?

I have been busy and not around much lately, but from scanning the threads I see mainly issues >broken drops, pf wear already, snake issues, coffin issues, hammer issues, captive area damage. This definitely does not sound like what I would want to hear if I were contemplating buying the game.

I genuinely feel sorry for any of the MET fans that are having these issues.

#543 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

From following the MET threads, this game seems worse off than Avengers.

As a owner of a Hulk and METLE, I can tell you this simply is not true. My METLE out of box has been a great experience- no issues besides switch adjustment and my right sling once in a while is overpowered. Hopefully that gets fixed. With my Hulk it was a nightmare (and I'm a fan) between the shooter lane, widow ramp, trapped balls around Hulk, and insert visibility issues it was non-stop tweaking.

Overall Stern has nailed it with the quality of METLE- I do question the ball lock "block" behind the hammer and I get some airballs if I hit Sparkys feet sometimes, but these are small things compared to Avengers.

#544 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I'm sure you do...

We know it eats at you that MoPLE is becoming a huge hit that will only get better and better. Normal issues cropping up here and there. Nothing new to pinball. I'm sorry (not really) it is turning out to be such a great pin... not what you were hoping for, we know.

We all know your dying to get one... call me, I'll fix ya up!

#545 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for feeling sorry for us Hilton, it really means the world to us !

#546 10 years ago

So...new codes by next weekend

#547 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

So I played about 10 games of Metallica (presumably the pro) tonight with one of my friends. It reminds us both of Avatar with slightly different layout.

That's like saying all pinballs remind you of other pinballs lol ...how on earth is Metallica like Avatar!?!?

-2 Metal ramps vs. 1 plastic ramp
-Ramps return to opposite flipper vs. Ramp returns to same flipper (assuming you're not backhanding)
-2 kickout scoops vs. none
-"Side pocket shot" vs nothing
-Sparky up the center vs. a Robot with a 3-bank to the left
-Inline drops vs. nothing
-Dual orbit flow vs. left orbit only flow (Avatar has a 1 way pops gate if you shoot from the right)
-Hand drawn art vs. photo art
-2 Magnets (3 if Prem/LE) vs. 1
-OK, they both have a newton captive ball...but Avatar also has a captive ball lock

So, my conclusion is...you either haven't played Avatar or you don't understand the nuance of pinball design at all.

#548 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-2 Metal ramps vs. 1 plastic ramp
-2 kickout scoops vs. none
-"Side pocket shot" vs nothing
-Sparky up the center vs. a Robot with a 3-bank to the left
-Inline drops vs. nothing
-Dual orbit flow vs. left orbit only flow (Avatar has a 1 way pops gate if you shoot from the right)
-Hand drawn art vs. photo art
-2 Magnets (3 if Prem/LE) vs. 1
-OK, they both have a newton captive ball...but Avatar also has a captive ball lock

I don't know Greg, it might be Avatar 2.0.

#549 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I don't know Greg, it might be Avatar 2.0.

LOL. Your'e right, why would I deny this. I'll put some Mattel Avatar toys on my game and get it over with!

#550 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Because when the cool kids buy it; they have a way of knowing how to overhype the community.

Who are these "cool kids"? Anyone who buys one?

And when was the last time a Stern pin was released that wasn't "overhyped"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-impressions-comments-problems-mods/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.