Topic Stats

• 768 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by redmamanora
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 63 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1743.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG
2013-07-12_15.25.29.jpg
0709131200.jpg
0709131159b.jpg
0709131200.jpg
0709131159b.jpg
metallicaoldlady.jpg
blade.jpg
11photo.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 16.
#1 6 years ago

Well got my LE yesterday

Went through it and have a few issues. The front decals were bubbling and I needed to put small holes in them to get the air out.

The Start button light does not work. I'm not sure if this is all games as the diagnostic menu does not yet tell you which light is what. So not sure if the code is not there for the start button or if it does not work

The legs seem to have oversize holes as there is quite a bit of wobble that I need to figure out what to do. I may try some pipe thread.

After 20 plays the captive ball block is beat to hell. I suspect this will harden over time with repeat plays. The hammer is out of sync with the hole (assume this is code)

The area where the ball disappears is already starting to wear.

I basically started preventative maintenance. Putting extra clear coat around the shooter lane, the holes, the one magnet area by sparky. Put mylar down where the ball exits the shooter lane ramp. Putting hole protector in mystery scoop.

The game play is fantastic but I have a big problem with the cost of this game and overall quality. The powder coated trim is cheap. The lockbar already has scratches and the siderails are worn where it locks into place.

Overall I would have been more content with a $4200.00 pro. Oh well the code will get sorted and the game will be much better content wise. I think the design is awesome except I do not see any real value in the LE as far as justifying the price difference

2nd picture is a mod decal I'm trying out

IMG_0698[1].JPG IMG_0699[1].JPG

#2 6 years ago

Maybe I am better off with Dirty Donny after all...

Sorry about your issues man. Sounds fun to play though with all the plays you have already

#3 6 years ago

Nice sideways pix.Ouch my neck hurts !

#5 6 years ago

Is it the plastic? To me it feels like the threads on the actual bottom feet have holes that are over-sized and the leg feat bolts are way too loose as the game wobbles quite a bit

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

After 20 plays the captive ball block is beat to hell. I suspect this will harden over time with repeat plays.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully it won't deter from your enjoyment of the game.

After looking at the initial pics of the captive block I had these concerns. a welded metal box can't absorb the amount of force nearly as well as a standard captive ball can. I also wonder how well the welds will hold up over time and if this will be an issue long term like the TZ slot scoop was? Might be a good part for Mantis Amusements to start designing to create a suitable and more durable replacement?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

The front decals were bubbling and I needed to put small holes in them to get the air out.

The Start button light does not work. I'm not sure if this is all games as the diagnostic menu does not yet tell you which light is what. So not sure if the code is not there for the start button or if it does not work

The legs seem to have oversize holes as there is quite a bit of wobble that I need to figure out what to do. I may try some pipe thread.

After 20 plays the captive ball block is beat to hell. I suspect this will harden over time with repeat plays.

The area where the ball disappears is already starting to wear.

I basically started preventative maintenance. Putting extra clear coat around the shooter lane, the holes, the one magnet area by sparky. Put mylar down where the ball exits the shooter lane ramp. Putting hole protector in mystery scoop.

Get on the phone to Stern.

#9 6 years ago

Whos that baller putting up the Grade Champ score?

Good comments Hank thanks for letting me unbox yesterday with ya! and yes I love the game play too, its fast 'n brutal but we were hitting ramp shots left and right no problem which felt great cause these ramps are not as easy as ACDC. Ramps are just sick, smooth, fast, not wobbly like avengers and its a good feeling to have wireforms back. The moving snake jaw is cool, the moving cross is ok, sparky is funny as hell and so much cooler in person than in video, has to be one of the coolest toys ever, but the jury is out on the hammer, not sure if its the fact that its a lil outa sync or it seems its in the way of sparky shot a little. I will say the ball lock coffin is badass! LED Lighting is killer and so is the backglass, but i too am not totally impressed with the front only decal bubbling(all others were perfect), how can u be tho right? The trim package is horrible and prob the biggest disappointment(why cant Alex L outsource for Stern!! Id like to hear his opinion of it), seems like one coat of power that barley covers grinding marks in lockdown bar, with what seems like no clear coat at all for protection, which would give it that smooth/glassy feel, just feels like high grit sand paper. Hulk trim blows this away as far as quality.
The overall package is awesome but is it worth the price its commanding? One thing that was brought to my attention by Derek is that this is the first game in awhile I personally played the pro long before the LE, so my expectations were alot higher, not sure if thats whats throwing me off here on the LE justification.

I should be getting mine next week, but To tell you the truth for 2k less im seriously thinking of getting a tricked out pinball refinery Met pro edition.. those guys are on point with what there doing!

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for posting. Your comments are very reminiscent or on par with the problems described by owner's of ACDCLE, XMENLE, and TAVLE when opening NIB.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Thanks for posting. Your comments are very reminiscent or on par with the problems described by owner's of ACDCLE, XMENLE, and TAVLE when opening NIB.

It is too bad the owners of WOZ don't have the balls to post the issues with their new game !

All games have issues , give it some time .

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

It is too bad the owners of WOZ don't have the balls to post the issues with their new game !

Where does this thread have anything to do with WOZ? I am an Avengers owner.
KEEP the thread on topic please!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

What does WOZ Have to do with this?
and what's up with MOPLE showing playfield wear after only 20 games?

#15 6 years ago

Yes that is Redeyes in the pic playing. Only about 10 games and he got a 106 million high score.

I will knock it off though

Onto the Start button issue. Does anyone else have an LE where the start button does light up?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

What does WOZ Have to do with this?
and what's up with MOPLE showing playfield wear after only 20 games?

well I have a WoZ! And its showing wear after only 19 plays! NAH NAH NAH NAH, NAH NAAAAHH!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Yes that is Redeyes in the pic playing. Only about 10 games and he got a 106 million high score.
I will knock it off though
Onto the Start button issue. Does anyone else have an LE where the start button does light up?

My Xmen start button didn't work when I got it. I didn't think much of it at first, but after a month I unplugged the spade connectors and plugged the back in and it's worked ever since

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

well I have a WoZ! And its showing wear after only 19 plays! NAH NAH NAH NAH, NAH NAAAAHH!

Bullshit_Meter.gif

#19 6 years ago

Hey Fattrain, you have your WoZ on Ebay yet? I figured you'd have it on there at $35,000 OBO...

#20 6 years ago

Actual wear or just play field dimpling. My hole area has the start of chipping. Any PF will dimple. The WOZ I saw on location and played for a bit had dimples but everything else besides the right show on the right flipper was flawless. After 8 days on location the PF still looked awesome. I think Metallica LE or Premium will look like crap after 8 days of continuous plays unless you take the time to do the preventative maintenance

#21 6 years ago

Can you please take pics of the playfield and captive ball wear and post them.

Thanks.

#22 6 years ago

Maybe going out on a limb here - did you try replacing the bulb for the start button? Doubt it has anything to do with code.....

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Actual wear or just play field dimpling. My hole area has the start of chipping. Any PF will dimple. The WOZ I saw on location and played for a bit had dimples but everything else besides the right show on the right flipper was flawless. After 8 days on location the PF still looked awesome. I think Metallica LE or Premium will look like crap after 8 days of continuous plays unless you take the time to do the preventative maintenance

you have to remember, WoZ playfields have had several years to cure!

#25 6 years ago

I played the le, and thought the gameplay was good, I wasnt as aww struck with the hammer or the coffin lock as I thought I would be. I didn't really notice the snakejaw movement, as I was busy trying to keep the ball in play. I have played the pro several times, and would like a prem/le but should wait to see if they make the code support the extra toys I would be paying for. I own an xmen and love the layout but the code really doesnt support the extra toys I payed for. Dont get me wrong I have looked into trading my mb or my ss since playing the game, I always get a bit obsessed after playing a new game. It is loud, and fast and I love the sound of the ball when it hits metal ramps and wire forms. The quality of the game seemed on par with the recent releases. There is obvious room for improvement, but the gameplay is good, lyman is on the code so I suspect it will be a good solid game in most any collection.

Sorry to hear you are a bit let down, but you can always trade it off for a pro. Non the less enjoy the game.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from idtattoo:

Sorry to hear you are a bit let down, but you can always trade it off for a pro. Non the less enjoy the game.

But many of these issues he talks about could come with a Pro as well so what's the point?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

But many of these issues he talks about could come with a Pro as well so what's the point?

My point is if he doesnt feel the additional toys justify the price and is frustrated with the le and he would rather have less invested in a pro then it is a simple solution. Given the le price point right now he could probably buy the pimped pro with the extra money he wold get selling the le. He seems to like the game just frustrated as many are.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from idtattoo:

He seems to like the game just frustrated as many are.

frustrated about what? Issues out of the box? They all have them. Pro, Premium, LE's and yes even WoZ... sounds like he might be better skipping the NIB experience altogether and buying HUO only.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

frustrated about what? Issues out of the box? They all have them. Pro, Premium, LE's and yes even WoZ... sounds like he might be better skipping the NIB experience altogether and buying HUO only.

Yes the issues out of the box, I am personally used to them and actually have a sick part of me that likes to mess with them. Actual build quality issues are a different animal. I have said nothing about woz, so I will disregard that altogether. I expect pinball machines to have some issues. Not all of us enjoy the process and Its too bad he has some frustration, I am not here to argue so I will leave it at that.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

for 2k less im seriously thinking of getting a tricked out pinball refinery Met pro edition.

The moving grave marker, moving snake jaw, and hammer do not add much. The unobscured captive ball shot in the Pro looks much cleaner.

The big question is really, will you miss the spinners (possible added rules?), under-playfield physical lock, and programmed LED lighting if you go with a Refinery Pro?

I can't rationally justify the added cost, but those would be the differences that I might regret.

But maybe after playing an upgraded Refinery Pro, you may not even think about the difference.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The moving grave marker, moving snake jaw, and hammer do not add much. The unobscured captive ball shot in the Pro looks much cleaner.
The big question is really, will you miss the spinners (possible added rules?), under-playfield physical lock, and programmed LED lighting if you go with a Refinery Pro?
I can't rationally justify the added cost, but those would be the differences that I might regret.
But maybe after playing an upgraded Refinery Pro, you may not even think about the difference.

well said, yes I forgot to mention the spinners which are cool but they dont have the intense sound effects ACDC has, at least not yet.. Bottom line is..I need more time on both LE and pro to make a sound decision.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I have come to expect some issues like the Start Button and having to go over high wear areas with mylar or extra clear around holes etc..,

I did not expect the legs to be over bored and then tapped so that the leg levelers make the game drastically wobble.

I did not expect the front decal to have bubbles in it and have to put holes in it out of the box.

I did not expect the powder coat to be so crappy. I have ACDC LE, XMEN LE and TAV LE and all have pretty good trim. Metallica trim is bad and my lock bar is already scratched. The only real solution is to have it redone which is an unwanted expense to make things right.

Again as quality improves (metal ramps) we get a decrease in quality (powder coat). I just do not think the value is there on this one. I would like other owners to chime in as I'm sure I'm not alone

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Again as quality improves (metal ramps) we get a decrease in quality (powder coat). I just do not think the value is there on this one. I would like other owners to chime in as I'm sure I'm not alone

I'll tell ya when I get mine. Can't wait! Still excited (and expecting issues )

#34 6 years ago

call stern

that's the real person to relay this info too

#35 6 years ago

I use duct tape on the underside of the lock down bar at each end. This protects the coating on my TFLE perfectly!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Where does this thread have anything to do with WOZ? I am an Avengers owner.
KEEP the thread on topic please!

Well, you mentioned more machines than the OP listed so I thought WOZ was fair game as well. I know for a fact there are issues with the NIB WOZ games yet no one is talking . I think it is good to get the issues aired out in public no mater who makes these expensive games !

I was simply applauding the OP for taking a stand and taking the time tell us the problems on his own game, something we have not seen from the other side. No big deal .

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I have come to expect some issues like the Start Button and having to go over high wear areas with mylar or extra clear around holes etc..,
I did not expect the legs to be over bored and then tapped so that the leg levelers make the game drastically wobble.
I did not expect the front decal to have bubbles in it and have to put holes in it out of the box.
I did not expect the powder coat to be so crappy. I have ACDC LE, XMEN LE and TAV LE and all have pretty good trim. Metallica trim is bad and my lock bar is already scratched. The only real solution is to have it redone which is an unwanted expense to make things right.

I understand... some of the issues you talk about are not good and you should be on the phone with Stern. I don't expect most will have to deal with everything you are dealing with but unfortunately some pins will make it out of the door with crap like this... Call Stern!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Quoted from teekee:

you have to remember, WoZ playfields have had several years to cure!

dumb and dumber at it again thanks guys!

on topic now:

i hope this is a one off issue and not the norm for the metle. hate to see cheapness with a 7100$ machine.

#39 6 years ago

Sell it. I'm sure you can get your money back.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I understand... some of the issues you talk about are not good and you should be on the phone with Stern. I don't expect most will have to deal with everything you are dealing with but unfortunately some pins will make it out of the door with crap like this... Call Stern!

Well there is no way other LE owners are going to have any better powder coating. I do not believe it is a bad batch I think its the method used is producing uneven results. Honestly it seems they went with an inferior coating process

On the legs I think same issue though if you do not pitch your game steep you may not notice it.

I do think most people will experience PF wear, Bad Powder Coating issues, and maybe loose legs. The decal issue and start button issue maybe not.

I have several games I expect issues. I just expect more in terms of quality as this game saw a major price hike over previous LE's

I also am starting to be in the "pro" only camp. Missing out on Tron LE was my mistake. Now 4 LE's later I can say this

ACDC - Pro plays faster. I do like the LE though would not feel upset if I only had the PRO

X-men - The pro is flat out a better game. Regret buying the LE

Avengers - The LE plays drastically better. If I could do it again I would buy the LE at the reduced price they are now selling at.

Metallica - love the band and had to have the LE. Right now I would not be very upset if I missed out and bought a PRO. I would not buy a Premium as I think a tricked out PRO is solid and does not have the issues that we cannot help but experience ie wear on the captive ball block and excess wear on the locking mech. Plus the LE does not use many LED flashers which I thought the entire game was going to be LED.

WOZ is a muscle car in terms of quality and Metallica LE is a ford pinto

I do prefer the game play of Metallica to WOZ as I like fast games. If we are comparing $7000.00 worth of games I'm going to say WOZ has more value. METLE has more in your face nasty play.

I will be selling my No Fear and maybe HUO mint BDK to fund a WOZ and free up space.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from vex:

dumb and dumber at it again thanks guys!

Jim, is it okay if I'm dumb? I really hate to be dumber but I'll leave it up to you... your choice.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Well there is no way other LE owners are going to have any better powder coating. I do not believe it is a bad batch I think its the method used is producing uneven results. Honestly it seems they went with an inferior coating process
On the legs I think same issue though if you do not pitch your game steep you may not notice it.
I do think most people will experience PF wear, Bad Powder Coating issues, and maybe loose legs. The decal issue and start button issue maybe not.
I have several games I expect issues. I just expect more in terms of quality as this game saw a major price hike over previous LE's
I also am starting to be in the "pro" only camp. Missing out on TRON LE was my mistake. Now 4 LE's later I can say this
ACDC - Pro plays faster. I do like the LE though would not feel upset if I only had the PRO
X-men - The pro is flat out a better game. Regret buying the LE
Avengers - The LE plays drastically better. If I could do it again I would buy the LE at the reduced price they are now selling at.
Metallica - love the band and had to have the LE. Right now I would not be very upset if I missed out and bought a PRO. I would not buy a Premium as I think a tricked out PRO is solid and does not have the issues that we cannot help but experience ie wear on the captive ball block and excess wear on the locking mech. Plus the LE does not use many LED flashers which I thought the entire game was going to be LED.
WOZ is a muscle car in terms of quality and Metallica LE is a ford pinto
I do prefer the game play of Metallica to WOZ as I like fast games. If we are comparing $7000.00 worth of games I'm going to say WOZ has more value. METLE has more in your face nasty play.
I will be selling my No Fear and maybe HUO mint BDK to fund a WOZ and free up space.

Great post. Hope a lot of people (self included) learn from your honesty.
Grats on the game. Thanks for the input! This is what pinside is about.

Edit: having owned just about all the games you listed; i absolutely agree with your LE vs pro comparisons.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Jim, is it okay if I'm dumb? I really hate to be dumber but I'll leave it up to you... your choice.

might be too late for that tony, glws

#45 6 years ago

So the gameplay is fantastic, but there are quality concerns with the LE. Interesting, Stern released LE's later to work out any issues, but now most of the problems are related to LE specific things.

I'm not sure what is going on with the captive ball block.. they couldn't fit a captive ball there?

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

So the gameplay is fantastic, but there are quality concerns with the LE. Interesting, Stern released LE's later to work out any issues, but now most of the problems are related to LE specific things.
I'm not sure what is going on with the captive ball block.. they couldn't fit a captive ball there?

I think your jumping the gun big time here... shouldn't we wait to hear from more than just 1 of the 500 LE owners? Les Manley had his for a week before anyone else and I don't remember reading any of these issues with his...

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I think your jumping the gun big time here... shouldn't we wait to hear from more than just 1 of the 500 LE owners?

We might be waiting a while since most will remain in the box

#48 6 years ago

i hope my premium has better quality control than whats been reported here, pro metallica looking like the logical choice now

#49 6 years ago

$6K by Christmas....c'mon, someone had to say it

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

We might be waiting a while since most will remain in the box

$12,000 by Christmas!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside