(Topic ID: 64167)

Metallica LE - GI flashing/strobing BADLY?

By bemmett

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE82C596-2006-42A6-AFFC-A96851ADBA8B (resized).jpeg
MetDataCable2 (resized).jpg
MetDataCable1 (resized).jpg
MetDataCable (resized).jpg
20130925_194053.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sammy31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 3 years ago

Having the strobing problem myself now. Tried re-seating all the cables as mentioned above but no joy.

Bought a new CAT 5e cable but the plugs are different on the Stern cables (that would explain why the sheathing is removed on the end of the stern cables).

Strobing stops if I pull one of the GI connectors from the board on the bottom. I pulled the spot light GI so game plays normally but I want to get this working.

Unless someone has a better idea than buying another cable off stern I guess that is what I am going to do for now.

1 month later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

After pulling out what's left of my hair, I have finally solved my strobing issue! I realized that my AC/DC BIBLE uses the same GI board as Metallica. The only difference is that AC/DC had a Rev. D version and Metallica had a Rev. C version. The board from AC/DC has fixed the problem! I've ordered a new one from Pinballlife and will have both games up and running soon.
In my case, it looks like this was not a data cable issue at all, but more likely a bad cable connector on the board or a bad capacitor like Zitt mentioned above.
Thanks for the help guys!
@Sammi31 I see you have an AC/DC in your collection, so you can try the same thing to help narrow down the issue. Let us know!

Thanks I will try that!
Because I tried everything else including a new cable and pulling most of the bulbs looking for a short...

#33 3 years ago

Swapped the boards and still have the strobing

So it's not the CAT cable and it's not the small GI board under the playfield... I guess I will have to check all the bulbs again for a short that I may have missed the first time round.

BTW... the strobing usually stops when I pull the white GI connector... so I am assuming it is one of those bulbs unless someone knows any better...

2 months later
#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Any update? You pull the bulbs?

Sorry for the late reply on my situation... the problem is now solved, here was the issue...

My issue was with the rectifier (the one with the big heat sink) located in the bottom left side of the backbox. Seems like the connectors got a little oxidized. Cleaned them up, then reconnected and now the strobing is gone! I don't think this solution was given anywhere in pinside so add it to the list of things to check when your game lighting is flickering.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sammy31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-gi-flashingstrobing-badly?tu=sammy31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.