(Topic ID: 64167)

Metallica LE - GI flashing/strobing BADLY?

By bemmett

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE82C596-2006-42A6-AFFC-A96851ADBA8B (resized).jpeg
MetDataCable2 (resized).jpg
MetDataCable1 (resized).jpg
MetDataCable (resized).jpg
20130925_194053.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgposter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Having the strobing problem myself now. Tried re-seating all the cables as mentioned above but no joy.
Bought a new CAT 5e cable but the plugs are different on the Stern cables (that would explain why the sheathing is removed on the end of the stern cables).
Strobing stops if I pull one of the GI connectors from the board on the bottom. I pulled the spot light GI so game plays normally but I want to get this working.
Unless someone has a better idea than buying another cable off stern I guess that is what I am going to do for now.

I'm in the same boat as you and I've tried just about everything at this point. I have:

Replaced the 3-pin connector that plugs into the top right of the GI board
Replaced the male header pins for the 3-pin connector on the GI board
Replaced all four 2-pin connectors that plug into the GI board (not the header pins though)
Replaced both connectors in the backbox that connect the bridge rectifier to the GI board
Replaced the bridge rectifier
Unplugged all lighting mods
Turned the GI brightness down

The only thing I haven't done is replace the data cable. I'm going to email Stern to see if I can get a replacement, unless someone knows where to find this data cable? Short of that, I may have to replace the GI board to see if that's the issue.

Any other ideas out there?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The cap on the main node board would be highly suspect to me.
I forget what's on Star Trek; but IIRC it's a single 10000ufd cap...
Is the data cable just a CAT6 ethernet cable?

Check for alternative CAT networking topologies. I know there are at least two in common use.
It might also be configured for "?RS485?" differential signal transmission.
If you can see the color of the strands of wire... should be easy enough to re-crimp a new connector.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Cat5e cable with what looks to be an RJ12(?) plug. As @Sammi31 mentioned above, the plugs are different (smaller) than on regular ethernet cables. Seems it would be be easy to reproduce with a couple parts and a crimper from Amazon. I'll order the stuff today and let you guys know if this solves it!

MetDataCable (resized).jpgMetDataCable (resized).jpgMetDataCable1 (resized).jpgMetDataCable1 (resized).jpgMetDataCable2 (resized).jpgMetDataCable2 (resized).jpg
#29 3 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I'm in the same boat as you and I've tried just about everything at this point. I have:
Replaced the 3-pin connector that plugs into the top right of the GI board
Replaced the male header pins for the 3-pin connector on the GI board
Replaced all four 2-pin connectors that plug into the GI board (not the header pins though)
Replaced both connectors in the backbox that connect the bridge rectifier to the GI board
Replaced the bridge rectifier
Unplugged all lighting mods
Turned the GI brightness down
The only thing I haven't done is replace the data cable. I'm going to email Stern to see if I can get a replacement, unless someone knows where to find this data cable? Short of that, I may have to replace the GI board to see if that's the issue.
Any other ideas out there?

After pulling out what's left of my hair, I have finally solved my strobing issue! I realized that my AC/DC BIBLE uses the same GI board as Metallica. The only difference is that AC/DC had a Rev. D version and Metallica had a Rev. C version. The board from AC/DC has fixed the problem! I've ordered a new one from Pinballlife and will have both games up and running soon.

In my case, it looks like this was not a data cable issue at all, but more likely a bad cable connector on the board or a bad capacitor like Zitt mentioned above.

Thanks for the help guys!

@Sammi31 I see you have an AC/DC in your collection, so you can try the same thing to help narrow down the issue. Let us know!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgposter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-gi-flashingstrobing-badly?tu=dgposter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.