(Topic ID: 125474)

Metallica LE coffin magnet triggers snake jaw???

By Drewblood419

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by j_m_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

For some reason tonight my Metallica LE coffin magnet sensor triggers the snake jaw to drop when it :impressed:should grab the ball. I have ruled out the magnet board by plugging my old magnet board in and it did the same thing. So basically instead of the magnet grabbing the ball and putting it into the coffin it just rolls over the magnet and makes the snake Jaw drop. Has anyone else had this issue? im stumped

#3 9 years ago

How often does that happen? I had the magnet totally collapse into the coffin while playing and the hole was there and it was like golf trying to get the ball to fall in. It eventually did and hammer came down. 50 games later, it hasn't done it. Just a glitch I guess. I have had to replace the magnet board within the first few months. The upgraded board came stock in the machine, but failed, Stern replaced under warranty. Had game now for 10 months.

#4 9 years ago

It just started last night. I talk to Chaz at Stern this morning and he told me to try to check the resistance on the coffin magnet itself. I know the magnet works and the fuse (f7) isn't blown I also know the magnet sensor works because I can hear a buzz when I go into test mode and run the ball over the magnet. problem is when the sensor senses the ball that's when the snakes jaw drops instead of the magnet activating. Also I think I ruled out the board because I have a new updated magnet board Stern had sent me to replace my original. when this problem started last night I tried using the old board to see if it grabbed the ball but the problem followed so I don't think it's the magnet board

#5 9 years ago

Here is a video of the problem:

#7 9 years ago

Does the snake jaw work on it's own in test mode?

#8 9 years ago

Yep everything in test mode seems to work fine the only wire that both things have in common seems to be the green and yellow wire. The magnet tests ok with a meter also. Even tried my old magnet driver board to see if that was the culprit but the problem followed. Both the coffin magnet and The snake jaw latch switch ( which I believe is the switch being triggered) are located in the same row on the switch matrix. Obviously the sensor in the magnet works fine because it is triggering the snake jaw when it should be triggering the magnet itself it almost seems like the signals are crossed but the snake Jaw latch switch does not trigger the magnet which if they were truly crossed I would expect

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Both the coffin magnet and The snake jaw latch switch ( which I believe is the switch being triggered) are located in the same row on the switch matrix.

This I believe is the crux of your problem. I'm 99% sure you don't have any problem with the magnet whatsoever. It sound more like a switch matrix problem. It is quite common for one switch to trigger another, yet the reverse does not trigger the other one. Look for the diode associated with the snake switch. If it does not have any leads broken(tug on it to be sure), then just replace it anyway and see if your symptoms change.

#10 9 years ago

Well I fixed it it was a totally random issue LOL. What had happened is apparently sometime during lifting the playfield The tan and Violet wire that runs to the tournament switch (not connected to anything and is folded over and shrink wrapped from the factory)must have got caught on the service rails which pushed the shrinkwrap far enough back to expose bare tip of the wire. During lifting the playfield or putting it down at some point that bare tip had got pushed into one of the switch connectors for that non existent tournament switch causing the switch matrix to act wonky in the column that included the snake Jaw latch and the coffin magnet

#11 9 years ago

Wow! Nice find. I'm going to have to look out for that on mine. Glad you got it fixed!

#12 9 years ago

It was driving me crazy I tested just about every diode in line +2 magnet driver boards LOL it figures it was a switch that was not even there LOL I definitely recommend checking for those wires by the coinbox and making sure you have them covered

#13 9 years ago

Wow! Good find. That would have made me crazy.

#14 9 years ago

Nice find! I was going to suggest looking at diodes and broken wires until I read the rest of your post.

Glad you got it fixed.

#15 9 years ago

good to know and glad that you were able to find and correct the problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.