(Topic ID: 55480)

Metallica LE code update - what the heck am I doing wrong?

By ScottinSGFNY

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EPROM.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Downloaded the latest code, formatted a USB thumb drive to FAT32, Extracted the download to the thumb drive.

Turned on the Metallica LE (didn't put in the thumb drive)
    Flipped Dip Switch 8 to ON,Press White Reset Button and......
    Nothing on DMD, Flourescent Light on in Backbox and LEDs on on PCBs but not going anywhere.

HELP!!!

#2 10 years ago

Turn on your game as normal.

Go into the setting, Utilities, USB, update.

The DMD should talk you in from there.

Don't do any dip switch flippin' or insert the UBS drive until it asks you to.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Turn on your game as normal.
    Go into the setting, Utilities, USB, update.
    The DMD should talk you in from there.

OK - when I do that without the thumb drive installed It tells me to flip Switch #8 ON which I did, then press Select to Reboot which I did, then The DMD Shows Game code update
    REBOOTING...

and hangs there.

any ideas?

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

OK - when I do that without the thumb drive installed It tells me to flip Switch #8 ON which I did, then press Select to Reboot which I did, then The DMD Shows Game code update
    REBOOTING...
    and hangs there.
    any ideas?

Yep...that sounds messed up. What should happen is you press select to reboot and you should get an update icon on the DMD. You select it and it asks you to put in the usb drive. Then it recognizes the USB drive and sees the code revision. Then you select it and then it asks if you want to verify it first (I select no) then it begins to erase the old code and the write the new code.

I've never had any issues.

UPDATE: Thinking about it....it sounds like your Boot ROM isn't booting. You might want to power off and make sure the boot ROM chip is seated well.

The boot ROM isn't used normally in the game, so if you haven't updated before it could be the issue and go unnoticed until an update is attempted. It's basically a chip that is only used to start the game to do an update.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Yep...that sounds messed up. What should happen is you press select to reboot and you should get an update icon on the DMD. You select it and it asks you to put in the usb drive. Then it recognizes the USB drive and sees the code revision. Then you select it and then it asks if you want to verify it first (I select no) then it begins to erase the old code and the write the new code.
    I've never had any issues.
    UPDATE: Thinking about it....it sounds like your Boot ROM isn't booting. You might want to power off and make sure the boot ROM chip is seated well.
    The boot ROM isn't used normally in the game, so if you haven't updated before it could be the issue and go unnoticed until an update is attempted. It's basically a chip that is only used to start the game to do an update.

Thanks - will look at it again tomorrow and make sure it's seated correctly. If I still get nowhere I'll call Stern.

#6 10 years ago

The way I do it, is game off and then switch dip 8 turn on game and follow on screen instructions.

#7 10 years ago

The way I do it, is game off and then switch dip 8 turn on game and follow on screen instructions.

Yeah....if you power the game off, flip dip switch 8 on and power on....you should get a screen like this:

It might be a bit different...this is on my X-Men, but if that screen doesn't come up....I would say it's safe to say its a boot rom issue.

EPROM.jpgEPROM.jpg

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Yeah....if you power the game off, flip dip switch 8 on and power on....you should get a screen like this:
    It might be a bit different...this is on my X-Men, but if that screen doesn't come up....I would say it's safe to say its a boot rom issue.

Spoke with Stern and they are sending a new Boot Rom. If that doesn't work then we go after the board. hopefully it will get here by the weekend......

#10 10 years ago

Game still works just no code update for me.....wahhhh.

#11 10 years ago

I am having the same problem. I have the update on a thumb drive but nothing is happening. Game says I don't have an updated code. Guess I will contact stern as well. Dammit!

#12 10 years ago

I am having the same problem with updating my XMen Pro. I have done many previous updates on Stern games with no problems until now. I will keep following this thread and try again when I return from vacation. The last update was only a couple months ago, and it worked just fine.
    Harry Irvin

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevebighead:

I am having the same problem. I have the update on a thumb drive but nothing is happening. Game says I don't have an updated code. Guess I will contact stern as well. Dammit!

That doesn't sound the same at all.

If you get to the step where it asks you to insert the USB stick you are past where the OP was and probably more of a USB stick or what is on your USB drive than the boot ROM problem.

#14 10 years ago

Often, if I do not format the thumb drive prior to the file copy, the update file is not recognized. Try that.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevebighead:

I am having the same problem. I have the update on a thumb drive but nothing is happening. Game says I don't have an updated code.

Did you unzip the file? It's looking for binary files with an extension of .bin. Did you download the game software, not the bootflash binary file linked at the top of every update window?

Both are common errors. Best to unzip the file first on a desktop or laptop, then move the binary file to the thumb drive. Root directory only.

#16 10 years ago

Before 87.777% of you guys freak out...make sure you have a good USB stick. However, the OP definitely has issues worth contacting Stern.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Did you unzip the file? It's looking for binary files with an extension of .bin. Did you download the game software, not the bootflash binary file linked at the top of every update window?
    Both are common errors. Best to unzip the file first on a desktop or laptop, then move the binary file to the thumb drive. Root directory only.

That is great advice. I learned that the first time I ever updated my code.

#18 10 years ago

New Boot Rom arrived today installed it and updated code - all good now!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-code-update-what-the-heck-am-i-doing-wrong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.