• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-323.jpeg
185510846.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Looking to install either mirror blades or Pinball Refinery's custom grave yard panels on the inside of my Metallica, which is better looking? Here is a pic of the custom panels....the other is just the regular mirror blades.
185510846.jpg185510846.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I have this panel in mine, and it is great! I don't think I would be nearly as happy with mirrors.

#3 9 years ago

I dare say your going to get a lot of replies that will state its personal preference! I quite like the decals, look great. Do I think they suit this particular machine, no.

I have seen mirror blades on this machine and love the look so I would say mirror blades for me.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I have this panel in mine, and it is great! I don't think I would be nearly as happy with mirrors.

Nexyss, how is it in the dark with the creeping light kit?

#5 9 years ago

I'm personally only a fan of inside panels if they match the art style of the playfield. So like sillyoldelf's are brilliant. This one just feels out of place to me because it's such a different art style than what Dirty Donny did, so it's not my personal cup of tea. It would bother me every time I saw it that it didn't match, they're just in too close proximity to each other, needs to feel more seamless for me.

Do whatever makes you happy though!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nexyss, how is it in the dark with the creeping light kit?

For the most part, I like the lighting for this, but I want to try to cover the top piece of the plastic as well. I don't like seeing the bare LED strip. I want to force all of that light to the side panels. I am trying to get another set of the lightning stickers to add to the top. Other than that, I really like it.

#7 9 years ago

I like the Decals with the flames more.I installed black mirror blades from pinball-dreams ,they look awesome!
I my opinion much nicer than any Decal.....
Regards Fred

#8 9 years ago

Whatever you prefer is what you should go with! I have mirror blades in mine. Just make sure you're done poking around in the game before you install them. You have to be careful when moving the playfield so you don't accidentally scratch either.

#9 9 years ago

I Have panels, the reference to Cliff with his arm coming up out of the grave holding his guitar. , make the panels a no brainer for metallica fans. Lots of compliments, could not imagine the game without them.

#10 9 years ago

Kam,

I've got the Creeping Death lighting kit installed in mine. Hit me up if you want to swing by this week and check it out.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Kam,
I've got the Creeping Death lighting kit installed in mine. Hit me up if you want to swing by this week and check it out.

Thanks Dave...I'll get in touch.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm personally only a fan of inside panels if they match the art style of the playfield. So like sillyoldelf's are brilliant. This one just feels out of place to me because it's such a different art style than what Dirty Donny did, so it's not my personal cup of tea. It would bother me every time I saw it that it didn't match, they're just in too close proximity to each other, needs to feel more seamless for me.
Do whatever makes you happy though!

Pardon me ...do you have any Grey Poupon?

Maybe... I wasn't not trying to copy Dirty Donnie but rather create my own style.

#13 9 years ago

th-323.jpegth-323.jpeg

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Maybe... I wasn't not trying to copy Dirty Donnie but rather create my own style.

I don't think anyone's accusing you of trying to copy DD and failing. Regardless of artistic intent, they don't match the game to my eyes either. I prefer a more seamless, fauxriginal (is that a word?) look for mods. You can't please 'em all.

#15 9 years ago

That's fine and I get that.. If you ever get a chance..try to see them installed on an actual game. I just installed a set over the weekend for a customer and he was really .blown away actually.

You will never please everyone. It's impossible.
Personally..I can't stand the way mirror blades look stand alone...and that's just me.

To each is own..so be it.

#16 9 years ago

If you ever get a chance..try to see them installed on an actual game.

Me neighbor has them on his LE. Not my cup of tea. Anyway, enough negative crap. Keep making new stuff and everyone will find something they like. Case in point, I love the snake tongue decal. Looks like it should have been there all along. As soon as I saw it, I had to have one.

#17 9 years ago

Sure, understood Joe. Nothing wrong with that at all. I didn't mean to sound critical of the work or imply that you copied badly or anything, just stating my general opinion that for me the inside needs to match the playfield more. Like your Star Trek panels, those feel more like they belong to me. Maybe it's because unlike a translite or even a speaker panel they more literally touch to become more of a cohesive whole. I fully admit to being picky, pass the Grey Poupon.

Since I guess we sort of "compete" in the mod space I probably should just stay out of it all together, but someone asked in their own thread for opinions and I gave mine. No slight intended!

As always, it's whatever makes you happy on your own machine that counts. I don't actually like mirror blades all that much either.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Me neighbor has them on his LE. Not my cup of tea. Anyway, enough negative crap. Keep making new stuff and everyone will find something they like. Case in point, I love the snake tongue decal. Looks like it should have been there all along. As soon as I saw it, I had to have one.

I have to agree about the blending but I can't see another choice with the side creep leds......

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, understood Joe. Nothing wrong with that at all. I didn't mean to sound critical of the work or imply that you copied badly or anything, just stating my general opinion that for me the inside needs to match the playfield more. Like your Star Trek panels, those feel more like they belong to me. Maybe it's because unlike a translite or even a speaker panel they more literally touch to become more of a cohesive whole. I fully admit to being picky, pass the Grey Poupon.
Since I guess we sort of "compete" in the mod space I probably should just stay out of it all together, but someone asked in their own thread for opinions and I gave mine. No slight intended!
As always, it's whatever makes you happy on your own machine that counts. I don't actually like mirror blades all that much either.

You don't have to stay out of anything.... Im just upset that you don't send me flowers anymore..

Bring on more mods!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

For the most part, I like the lighting for this, but I want to try to cover the top piece of the plastic as well. I don't like seeing the bare LED strip. I want to force all of that light to the side panels. I am trying to get another set of the lightning stickers to add to the top. Other than that, I really like it.

I did this on mine and it looks fantastic, i think the artwork looks awesome and blends perfectly, the lights are a must have and very easy to install( I did mine while drinking beer) Pingraffix side art and the lights make it feel as though your playing a 3d pinball machine, I hope my honest review pushes you off the fence.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I Have panels, the reference to Cliff with his arm coming up out of the grave holding his guitar. , make the panels a no brainer for Metallica fans. Lots of compliments, could not imagine the game without them.

I was going to ad this^^^^^^^^^^^^

When my wife saw that she told me I had to get them.

#22 9 years ago

have the panels in mine and think they are brilliant !

#23 9 years ago

When I first saw these MET interior panels , I was really impressed on the way they looked. I love the colors and the imagery used in the artwork. The matching speaker panel looks great done as a pair. These were displayed at gamewarp in Orlando a few months back ,( Refinery Edition) with the led lighting strips that react to the colors in the pinblades, the color and images( lightning especially) really jump off the page. Super cool edition to Metallica. Save the mirror blades for another game, or at least one that Joe (pingraffix) hasn't worked on yet.....

#24 9 years ago

The pingraffix panels are on the MET at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas, right? I remember it looking pretty slick in person.

1 month later
#25 9 years ago

Does anyone have pics of the LED light strips? I have the blades..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-inside-panel-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.