708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6_(resized).jpg
Thumbs_Abuse_(resized).PNG
pasted_image_(resized).png
bdc0fbf5d3bf29cf994e422166ad9a7200c9f337_(resized).jpg
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

kanedas gone but this guy is still here...

I like to finish what I start, I guess thats why i have been so successful ;D

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

its cool that PP is at least trying to fix it, My MMR, I was offered a populated playfeild swap for slingshot damage and I didn't even ask for it, I said it was fine but thx... So they sent me a spare playfeild and didn't even tell me, it was a great surprise at the door Its for sale if anyone is interested.
at least the lettering issue doesn't affect game play. Stern just said my problem was acceptable by there quality control department, so no resolution was needed nor offered and washed there hands of it... the friggin ball would fly up and hit the glass every second shot from the right flipper!

And I've told the Stern guys (Gomez, Borg) that the sling shots should have the WMS style star posts and not the narrow straight posts. Those narrow posts sink into the wood and the bring the slingshot rubber lower so it actually hits the pinball below the centerline and causes the balls to act crazy sometime hitting the glass or the side of the cab.

Mustang and WWE, Family Guy, Transformers etc... use the star posts. No issues.

#154 8 years ago

thats so cool, thx for the info!

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

And I've told the Stern guys (Gomez, Borg) that the sling shots should have the WMS style star posts and not the narrow straight posts. Those narrow posts sink into the wood and the bring the slingshot rubber lower so it actually hits the pinball below the centerline and causes the balls to act crazy sometime hitting the glass or the side of the cab.
Mustang and WWE, Family Guy, Transformers etc... use the star posts. No issues.

Could also put washers under the sling posts.

#156 8 years ago

That's not a bad idea

#157 8 years ago

MMr is no better IMO. I've played one on location and it looks and plays worse than a 20 year old original. I'm not sold at all by the remake which is pretty sad for the amount they are charging for these POS's

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

MMr is no better IMO. I've played one on location and it looks and plays worse than a 20 year old original. I'm not sold at all by the remake which is pretty sad for the amount they are charging for these POS's

Really? loving mine.. I think it plays crazy fast..what was it that you didn't like?

#159 8 years ago

Yeah I have an MMR and I ordered after I went to southern fried game expo last year I played a MME LE directly next to an original medieval madness and I thought the MMR played 10 times better.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Yeah I have an MMR and I ordered after I went to southern fried game expo last year I played a MME LE directly next to an original medieval madness and I thought the MMR played 10 times better.

That was mine! We've had nothing but compliments on the way it plays by people who have owned and currently own the originals. We had some sling damage but that was caught early and fixed long before SFGE. I've never had a day's trouble with it. We sold two games to buy it and haven't regretted it once.

#161 8 years ago

I've played lots of OG MMs and a few MMRs. The MMR is impressive in how well it plays. People shouldn't have any complaints about how it plays.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I've played lots of OG MMs and a few MMRs. The MMR is impressive in how well it plays. People shouldn't have any complaints about how it plays.

Glad to hear, Im looking forward to the next remake title

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Really? loving mine.. I think it plays crazy fast..what was it that you didn't like?

The flippers were weak and not properly aligned, the display mono color was lack luster (I think full color is coming soon tho), and the overall appearance just looked beat down. Granted this is a location machine and is going to take some abuse but not looking like 20 years of abuse. I'd like to play someone's HUO and get a better feel for the remake. Just for the record, the OP that owns these games on location does a great job maintaining the other games so it's kinda weird seeing this one play not as good as it should IMO.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

The flippers were weak and not properly aligned, the display mono color was lack luster (I think full color is coming soon tho), and the overall appearance just looked beat down. Granted this is a location machine and is going to take some abuse but not looking like 20 years of abuse. I'd like to play someone's HUO and get a better feel for the remake. Just for the record, the OP that owns these games on location does a great job maintaining the other games so it's kinda weird seeing this one play not as good as it should IMO.

Sorry to hear that, you can ask him to adjust the flipper strength.. looks like hes got it on low for less damage. I would ask him to adjust the flippers to0, I had to on mine.

2 weeks later
#165 8 years ago

I have been waiting months (back order)on a Metallica Pre. from Stern. I hope all these issues are corrected by the time I finally receive shipment.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I have been waiting months (back order)on a Metallica Pre. from Stern. I hope all these issues are corrected by the time I finally receive shipment.

You will be fine, there was a batch of bad playfields in 2014 and early 2015 including the "planking" in the first few photos.

Get rid of the Stern garbage pinballs when you receive your NIB game, and put some new "shiny" balls in from Pinball Life.

After you get over the rush of owning the game and the first 500 or so games, clean the game, wax the playfield and be happy.
You are not going to have insert issues for a long time.

As Vid1900 mentioned, ALL games eventually have insert issues in terms of either lifting or black line edging.
It does not matter if the game was factory clearcoated, tuff coated, lacquered or not.
The chance is nearly eliminated if a playfield is properly AFTERMARKET clearcoated, because the protected playfield is going to outlive the owner.
You just have to pay attention BEFORE damage occurs.
That is part of pinball maintenance wisdom.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

10 times better?!

How did you come to that figure?

#168 8 years ago

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

You resurrected a troll post for "issues" on a game that you don't even own yet??? You're worse than the OP.

#170 8 years ago

I didn't even know about this feature until now. Thanks OP, for wearing out my thumbs-down!! I reserve them for the worst kind of idiocy. This thread belongs in the basement.

Thumbs_Abuse_(resized).PNGThumbs_Abuse_(resized).PNG

#171 8 years ago

I am curious to know why you say to get rid of the Stern pinballs. This is my first machine and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Also do you know when they will start shipping these machines out? Like I said I have been waiting shipment for a long time now and am getting very impatient.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

You will be fine, there was a batch of bad playfields in 2014 and early 2015 including the "planking" in the first few photos.
Get rid of the Stern garbage pinballs when you receive your NIB game, and put some new "shiny" balls in from Pinball Life.
After you get over the rush of owning the game and the first 500 or so games, clean the game, wax the playfield and be happy.
You are not going to have insert issues for a long time.
As Vid1900 mentioned, ALL games eventually have insert issues in terms of either lifting or black line edging.
It does not matter if the game was factory clearcoated, tuff coated, lacquered or not.
The chance is nearly eliminated if a playfield is properly AFTERMARKET clearcoated, because the protected playfield is going to outlive the owner.
You just have to pay attention BEFORE damage occurs.
That is part of pinball maintenance wisdom.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I am curious to know why you say to get rid of the Stern pinballs

They are crap.

Get these:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

And wax your game as soon as you unbox it.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I am curious to know why you say to get rid of the Stern pinballs.

I have had NIB stern supplied balls already have rust deposits on them.

Some haven't been that bad but Id recommend throwing them in a tumbler or just buy nice Ooh Shiny's from PBL, they are usually much nicer quality.

edit----Thanks Vid for the time save for finding the link but then I just wasted as much time editing.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are crap.
Get these:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

Thanks, will have to buy some then. The machine holds 4 balls? As for waxing, what is the suggested intervals?

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Thanks, will have to buy some then. The machine holds 4 balls?

Buy a dozen balls.

The get scratched and nicked, and you you don't want to wait a week when you get a nicked ball.

Quoted from newpinbin:

As for waxing, what is the suggested intervals?

Whenever your fingers can't detect a waxed surface in front of the flippers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#176 8 years ago

Great link. Thanks.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The funny part is I always wax my playfields as soon as they come out of the box.
I was not aware most people actually do this to new games.
People scoffed at this idea when I mentioned it.

Many people cannot hold back and want to play the game.

Generally, I end up spending a couple of days or more just unboxing, inspecting, checking electronics, testing, and cleaning even before my first game as their is plenty of room for factory errors or things happening during shipment.

Hopefully, the new owner can "hold back" his excitement.

#178 8 years ago

The funny part is I always wax my playfields as soon as they come out of the box.
Generally, I end up spending a couple of days or more just unboxing, inspecting, checking electronics, testing, and cleaning even before my first game as their is plenty of room for factory errors or things happening during shipment.

Not me... I give it a 15 minute once over, throw new balls in there and fire it up. I'll wax it after playing a few times.

#179 8 years ago

Holy fuck thanks for this great info.......everyone has been on here for years telling people to wax their shit, you are truly a godsend .

#180 8 years ago

Does anyone know when the new Metallica machines are set to leave the Stern factory? I have been waiting awhile...original was promised the first week of march.

#181 8 years ago

quote post #166 "ALL games eventually have insert issues in terms of either lifting or black line edging.
It does not matter if the game was factory clearcoated, tuff coated, lacquered or not"

Agreed, but not after a year of home use only.. the ball was smacking off the glass from the right flipper because of the insert lift and Patrick from stern said that was except-able quality, (aka, shut up and live with it). lol.

#182 8 years ago

If your inserts lift, warm them up and press them back down.

Normal part of pinball maintenance.

#183 8 years ago

the clear coat and art wasn't cracked yet around the inserts and decided not to take a chance.. sold it
New owner said he might try it.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

the clear coat and art wasn't cracked yet around the inserts and decided not to take a chance.. sold it

Don't feel bad, the wood of the playfield has been expanding at a different rate than the plastic inserts for over 70 years.

Nothing yet invented can keep the inserts from moving.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Does anyone know when the new Metallica machines are set to leave the Stern factory? I have been waiting awhile...original was promised the first week of march.

This is a question nobody can answer accurately, not even your distributor. I'm waiting on a Met pro as well, part of the pinball fun I guess

#186 8 years ago

I was disappointed because it was only a year old.. I would expect it for a 25 year old game.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I was disappointed because it was only a year old.. I would expect it for a 25 year old game.

Sometimes you have to do it to new in box games.

I remember unboxing a bunch of Gorgars and having to immediately reseat inserts on several of them.

Gorgar was an EXPENSIVE game at the time because it could talk, but it sure did earn some coin.

#188 8 years ago

at least it got fixed by warranty, stern told me to hoop it.
This is gonna be a great game for the repair and parts industry a few years from now, so that's a good thing I guess.

#189 8 years ago

OP, don't you find it strange that other MET owners haven't chimed in on this thread? Don't generalize your problems to the rest of us. You're starting to sound like a broken record.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

JJP's fix for the artwork coming off the playfield was to send some mylar to put around the worst areas. Oh, and to offer new playfields at 500-600 dollars to owners who complained enough that they have a potential time bomb. If the artwork lifts their pf is ruined and jack won't do jack about it.

I think your mileage may vary with this. I have a WOZLE and I had a small piece of clear come off. I brought it to JJP's attention. I asked if I could purchase a new playfield at their cost, and I would install it myself. Jack himself called me up and said they were sending a new playfield to me at no cost. I protested, and said I had used it quite a bit (probably 700 plays by that point), and that it should be prorated costing. He said tough, you are getting it free. It showed up a week later. I decided to wait and wear this playfield out, and I put a piece of mylar on the area, and replace the playfield later. I also had a few other problems, that JJP sent parts to me with no charge. To be fair, when I purchased a Stern game NIB and had problems their support was great, but it seems that maybe they have slacked off the customer support, as maybe some others have experienced with JJP. I have no complaints at all. I had another friend with a WOZLE that I assisted with some issues, and again all parts were sent free, with no issue.
YMMV.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I think your mileage may vary with this. I have a WOZLE and I had a small piece of clear come off. I brought it to JJP's attention. I asked if I could purchase a new playfield at their cost, and I would install it myself. Jack himself called me up and said they were sending a new playfield to me at no cost. I protested, and said I had used it quite a bit (probably 700 plays by that point), and that it should be prorated costing. He said tough, you are getting it free.

Don't tell this to any WOZ owners nowadays.

People are begging for new playfelds because all the paint wore off, and Jack is now only sending out stickers.

708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6_(resized).jpg708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6_(resized).jpg

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

OP, don't you find it strange that other MET owners haven't chimed in on this thread? Don't generalize your problems to the rest of us. You're starting to sound like a broken record.

Agreed! I have owned 2 METLE and both playfields have had zero issues! There is also a Met pro at my local arcade, it has a shitload of plays on it and it looks fine.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Agreed! I have owned 2 METLE and both playfields have had zero issues! There is also a Met pro at my local arcade, it has a shitload of plays on it and it looks fine.

image_(resized).jpeg

Ditto, I have a MET LE and zero issues with the playfield or inserts.

#195 8 years ago

My 2013 MET Pro still looks like new, and I attribute that regular waxing. Same with my '03 LOTR and '10 IM.

#196 8 years ago

Pat Lawlor gave Gary Stern Some advice not to long ago, he told Gary his biggest mistake was Diamond plated.. and all the money williams would have made on new playfeilds and guys swapping them with all new parts.etc. The new Medieval Madness playfields are amazing quality, same manufacture. I wonder what that means? Take supper care of those playfields guys!!

#197 8 years ago

What a weird thread.

#198 8 years ago

That pf looks like it's been in a heated drier... This looks like environmental not universal

#200 8 years ago

I would quit posting that thread to support your claims. That post is about a known issue with defective PF's for a specific batch of PF's. Owners of those games got compensation/replacement PF's if an issue was presented. Do some research first as you posting that actually hurts your claims that Stern is screwing people.

Not going through this thread again but I thought you posted you knew of several games with the same issue as yours. Post those threads. I still think this is a rare/environmental thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-inserts-lifting/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.