708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6_(resized).jpg
Thumbs_Abuse_(resized).PNG
pasted_image_(resized).png
bdc0fbf5d3bf29cf994e422166ad9a7200c9f337_(resized).jpg
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 8 years ago

Buck or two plus, its Canadian

#52 8 years ago

Nah, this isn't a game for me. I can tell you though, you're barking up the wrong tree with this whole "wood grain" idea.

Quoted from Lamberger:

Sounds like you have the grain from#37.. lol

#53 8 years ago

Wth is it with stern pfs and shooter lanes in Ontario? Or is there an Ontario problem?!

#54 8 years ago

wow, my game has thousands of games on it......thousands and no way it is scratch like that. Clean that playfield and wax it ASAP.

#55 8 years ago

It wasn't scratches, it was the wax. The issue was the inserts affecting the play. Maybe check the post title when you get a chance. Cheers!

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Nah, this isn't a game for me. I can tell you though, you're barking up the wrong tree with this whole "wood grain" idea.

It wasn't my idea.. I think vid1900 mentioned it( which was really cool of him and insightful). This playfield(post#37) apparently is of low quality of metallica, issues with inserts lifting and flaking. Stern changed to another manufacture which had a different pattern of wood grain, a better quality playfield...So it looks like Stern in reality barked up the wrong tree with the first company, lol

#57 8 years ago

Patrick also said this is of exceptional quality of stern from the same playfeild manufacture. Lol, just kidding. I dont know what the out come was. I miss Williams

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#59 8 years ago

Williams playfields wore more than Stern playfields do. Sterns playfields also come off the line with fewer flaws, in general.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Patrick also said this is of exceptional quality of stern from the same playfeild manufacture. Lol, just kidding. I dont know what the out come was. I miss Williams

That was fake.

But it was a great ruckus for awhile....!

#61 8 years ago

You learn something new every day on here.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Williams playfields wore more than Stern playfields do. Sterns playfields also come off the line with fewer flaws, in general.

I've had almost 30 pins from the 90's that were Williams/bally and the playfeilds are still mint to this day. That's 26 year and still going!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That was fake.
But it was a great ruckus for awhile....!

I didn't know that either. Cool

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I didn't know that either. Cool

This is real though

worn_AFM_(resized).jpgworn_AFM_(resized).jpg

MM_repair_035_(resized).jpgMM_repair_035_(resized).jpg

#66 8 years ago

Inserts on that MM are still easier to read than the translucent MMRs

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Inserts on that MM are still easier to read than the translucent MMRs

Giving the term ghosting new meaning

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This is real though
worn_AFM_(resized).jpg

MM_repair_035_(resized).jpg

Wow! I never had a williams from 1995 up.. looks like williams started to cheap out, that must be the company Stern is getting to make their playfeilds..

#69 8 years ago

The same company, CCC, that made most of the Williams/Bally/Chicago Coin/Classic Stern playfields, is still making playfields for Stern today. They have been in business over 100 years.

The only playfields made by a different company overseas are the ones with these shooter lanes:

bdc0fbf5d3bf29cf994e422166ad9a7200c9f337_(resized).jpgbdc0fbf5d3bf29cf994e422166ad9a7200c9f337_(resized).jpg

#70 8 years ago

I know you said these pics were fake vid1900 but they look so real!

#71 8 years ago

A steel ball rolling around on wood in variable conditions...shit happens.

#72 8 years ago

Has there been more than one complaint of inserts lifting to even debate if multiple issues exist on similar playfields? I have only ever heard of this one example...perhaps this is being blown completely out of proportion?

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I've had almost 30 pins from the 90's that were Williams/bally and the playfeilds are still mint to this day. That's 26 year and still going!

I'd say you're playing the survivors. The crap ones gave up the ghost long ago.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Has there been more than one complaint of inserts lifting to even debate if multiple issues exist on similar playfields? I have only ever heard of this one example...perhaps this is being blown completely out of proportion?

I think it's s bit out of proportion.

I have the "overseas" version in my LE. The PF is perfect with ZERO insert issues.

The only PF problem I am aware of with MET was that one batch of bad PF's that had major chipping happening by the sparky magnet and one poor guy had a PF with scoliosis that took months to get resolved.

#75 8 years ago

I have seen 3, and heard of 6 machines so far that had the issue, 4 didn't affect game play.. the owners didn't care apparently. They weren't being used for competition.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

thats a good point, possibly

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Let me tag on to what dmbjunky is talking about.

You have Met, T2, White Water, CFTBL, TAF, MM, FH, LAH and TS in your current collection. You may have gems there but you can't honestly tell me you have not seen a crap ton of blown out FH (even covered in mylar), TAF (magnet section for instance), TS (again magnet section), WW (inserts), etc... There is a reason why there are companies repoing the PF's for FH, MM, White Water and TAF. It's not because they didn't wear out or have inserts that stayed perfect.

I'm finding your argument even harder at this point. Again, I don't like what happened but to say that doesn't happen on older games is not even remotely close to accurate. Heck, I don't think I've personally ever seen a WW or FH that didn't have inserts that have lifted.

Quoted from Lamberger:

I have seen 3, and heard of 6 machines so far that had the issue, 4 didn't affect game play.. the owners didn't care apparently. They weren't being used for competition.

Are they all in Canada? I've got to wonder if climate is part of the challenge here too.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

How have you heard of so many when so many if it's not recognized as a widespread issue? Did pretty much every dog playfield end up in your area? And who doesn't care if their playfield is having the inserts fall out? Whether it's being used for personal use or competition, every pin owner would care. You either know odd folk or are telling odd stories.

#79 8 years ago

who knows, the mm is a remake and the playfeild is stunning.. I can send pictures of my games? the funhouse is diamond plate.. I think all of my games are diamond plate.. metallica is long gone. Had a ton of other williams/bally. Never had a issue. i have seen games that were blown out, but they are 26 years old and who knows what they went through. Metallica is 2 years old HUO. Thats my point

#80 8 years ago

this pic of the star trek pro playfield is real..... i took some pics of it meeself (i'll have to dig them up).

i played this game @ universal florida during the halloween horror nights (literally, the horror) .... it was located right over by the spidey ride in the arcade.

Quoted from Lamberger:

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

How have you heard of so many when so many if it's not recognized as a widespread issue? Did pretty much every dog playfield end up in your area? And who doesn't care if their playfield is having the inserts fall out? Whether it's being used for personal use or competition, every pin owner would care. You either know odd folk or are telling odd stories.

its fine, you can believe what you want.. There is a good chance the complainers already got taken care of from stern and didn't say anything because they got it fixed.. who knows. I noticed it when it affected game play and probably missed the" early complaints care package from stern". my fault, it is what it is. But I'm done with stern. Wish i got in on Rob Zombie, anyone that wants to bail send me a PM!

#82 8 years ago

Post says inserts lifting. Look at pics and the inserts are raised.

Anyone else think this is a misdirected lets bash stern thread? Wood swells and shrinks. Got plenty of williams that have had raised inserts. You said it yourself the game is the non-led meaning its an older build. The state of the playfield, inserts asidem says you aren't big on maintenance for a game with such low plays. Level the inserts and stop complaining. This isn't Stern QC, this is just the nature of machines.

#83 8 years ago

I think this thread is complete nonsense, and pretty typical of what you see here all the time.

Some guy says acdc is being rerun because of a new tour. People clear space in their game room because of a rumor that makes no sense and won't come to fruition.

Guy with a filthy game with pitted balls finds some alleged issues on his 3 year old Metallica, and suddenly we are supposed to sell our 2013s for less money because there are "bad playfields."

I don't buy it. Would take a lot more evidence than this.

#84 8 years ago

Everyone can have an opinion, the hole point of forums. my opinion is that I will never own a stern again from my experience. If you have a great experience.. cool

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Everyone can have an opinion, the hole point of forums. my opinion is that I will never own a stern again from my experience. If you have a great experience.. cool

My opinion is you don't take care of your machines and then whine because they are no longer perfect.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Got plenty of williams that have had raised inserts.

Sure, over the years, I have reglued 1000's of Williams inserts, especially when I still had my routes.

Many of those games are now in collector's hands and their owner's are none the wiser.

That does not mean that William's games were crap.

It just means that it's a normal part of pin maintenance.

#87 8 years ago

I cant picture a early HUO 90s williams insert rising within 2 year of play. Again, I have a bad taste in my mouth from stern with my experiences.. its just what I think, everyone that likes them are free to keep buying them.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, over the years, I have reglued 1000's of Williams inserts, especially when I still had my routes.
Many of those games are now in collector's hands and their owner's are none the wiser.
That does not mean that William's games were crap.
It just means that it's a normal part of pin maintenance.

I didn't call them crap? Inserts sinking/raising is just part of the nature of the beast. Calling Stern crap for it seems ridiculous. Not that Stern, or any pin manufacturer, didn't have reasons to be called crap. This just isn't one.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I didn't call them crap? Inserts sinking/raising is just part of the nature of the beast. Calling Stern crap for it seems ridiculous. Not that Stern, or any pin manufacturer, didn't have reasons to be called crap. This just isn't one.

Sounds like we are in agreement....

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I cant picture a early HUO 90s williams insert rising within 2 year of play.

They were sometimes raised right out of the box. Quite common, actually.

But remember the 90's games you have now, have already had their inserts reglued for the last 25 years before you got them.

-

There were not too many HUO games back in the 90's.

We delivered some NIBs to sports celebrities, some to strip bar owners, but very few to average Joe's basements.

#91 8 years ago

What I meant was is that i couldn't see a mint early 90s williams playfield insert rising after 2 years of play in a house..but i could be wrong

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

My opinion is you don't take care of your machines and then whine because they are no longer perfect.

Ok, so it makes sense because I'm complaining about all of my other games that are perfect?? What ever man.. enjoy your high quality sterns!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think this thread is complete nonsense, and pretty typical of what you see here all the time.
Some guy says acdc is being rerun because of a new tour. People clear space in their game room because of a rumor that makes no sense and won't come to fruition.
Guy with a filthy game with pitted balls finds some alleged issues on his 3 year old Metallica, and suddenly we are supposed to sell our 2013s for less money because there are "bad playfields."
I don't buy it. Would take a lot more evidence than this.

I don't agree with Levi often, but yeah. I'm leaning toward agreeing here.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Guess you won't be buying many new games then. Have fun buying pins that are close to 20 years old from now on.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Guess you won't be buying many new games then. Have fun buying pins that are close to 20 years old from now on.

That's the best part! tones of new company's, I'm pumped!!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

What I meant was is that i couldn't see a mint early 90s williams playfield insert rising after 2 years of play in a house..but i could be wrong

The old, hot, incandescent lamps made the inserts rise (or sink) even faster than the LEDs do now.

Wood moves with heat and humidity.

Plastic and wood have 2 different expansion coefficients.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

and one poor guy had a PF with scoliosis that took months to get resolved.

That was my MET premium with a twisted playfield and yes, it took 5 months to resolve. The lesson I learned is that it's best to go through your distributor rather than trying to deal direct with Stern on warranty.

Rob

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

That's the best part! tones of new company's, I'm pumped!!

How many of them have produced more than one machine?

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

good call, guess we should disregard all of them?? hmm, maybe your right..I think thats a good start to support the hobby

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

How many of those companies have taken money and never produced a game?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 149.00
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,600 (OBO)
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-inserts-lifting/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.