708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6_(resized).jpg
Thumbs_Abuse_(resized).PNG
pasted_image_(resized).png
bdc0fbf5d3bf29cf994e422166ad9a7200c9f337_(resized).jpg
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 8 years ago

Hey everyone, does anyone have a problem with inserts lifting on there Metallica pin? It was mint when I first got it. Definitely affecting game play around flippers..Mostly picks and small crosses. Mine is a early run no Leds. Pictures are of the ball sitting right on the edge of the insert.

IMG_20160114_091008_(resized).jpgIMG_20160114_091008_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160114_090938_(resized).jpgIMG_20160114_090938_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160106_181931_(resized).jpgIMG_20160106_181931_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Damn dude that thing is dirty as shit. What's going on in the first pic...scratches?

#3 8 years ago

Change the balls also

#4 8 years ago

It is a little dirty...on the other hand, the dirt appears to help show where the inserts may be lifting if that is in fact the case.

#5 8 years ago

Them balls are definitely not helping anything. Are they original stern pinballs? Maybe bc its incandescent bulbs the heat is causing this?

#6 8 years ago

To answer your question. No this is not common.

Where is the game kept? In the house, garage, basement, etc. Is it climate controlled?

#7 8 years ago

Premium pinball ultra Gloss balls from pinballlife.. only had this game a year. 628 plays, novus 2 cleaner. It needs a clean, but it shows the inserts more. balls are bouncing off the inserts like crazy. I'm sure scratching the playfeild as well.

#8 8 years ago

You're not the first. I have heard of early run mets with incandescent bulbs do end up getting raised inserts. Change them to LEDs soon before more lift or get worse.

#9 8 years ago

I did change them to leds, damage done tho

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

To answer your question. No this is not common.
Where is the game kept? In the house, garage, basement, etc. Is it climate controlled?

Game has always been in the finished basement, temperature controlled environment

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Premium pinball ultra Gloss balls from pinballlife.. only had this game a year. 628 plays, novus 2 cleaner. It needs a clean, but it shows the inserts more. balls are bouncing off the inserts like crazy. I'm sure scratching the playfeild as well.

Novus2 has no business being using on a pinball machine. Depending on how often you used it, it could have contributed to the problem because each use of it sands some of the clear coat protecting the playfield away.

#12 8 years ago

That's pretty standard stuff.

Wood expands at a certain rate, and acrylic inserts expand at a different rate.

The more humid a location, the more movement you usually get.

-

You can warm those inserts with a hair dryer, push them back down and then glue them with epoxy from the backside.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551406

-

That ball looks terrible, replace them all.

Clean that game and get a good coat of wax on it, pronto.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#13 8 years ago

Its crazy dry in the basement, so dry I have real wood floors.. will do, thx for all the advice guys.

#14 8 years ago

That looks like the work of the damage jackals to me. Sorry, couldn't resist. It doesn't look that bad but i see why you're pissed.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Novus2 has no business being using on a pinball machine. Depending on how often you used it, it could have contributed to the problem because each use of it sands some of the clear coat protecting the playfield away.

I agree....yet people keep recommending it. I refuse to use it on my tables.

#16 8 years ago

I have seen the same lifting and grunge pattern on at least one of the Metallica Pros on route near me. It might be more than one but I wouldn't want to speak incorrectly. I definitely noticed the dirty half-moons and thought "oh-they didn't want to make pick-shaped inserts".

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can warm those inserts with a hair dryer, push them back down and then glue them with epoxy from the backside.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551406
-

Exactly what I would recommend. This works. Just be careful with the heat and use a hairdryer NOT a heat gun.

4 weeks later
#18 8 years ago

Contacted Stern about it, Patrick said it was "exceptional" quality from stern, his words..lol. Meaning we are happy with our shitty quality and eat a <edited content>...Wow, Surprising with all of the new competition. Its the last of the sterns we buy for our franchises... Just put a order in for 26 WoZs. good luck stern! <content edited>

#19 8 years ago

I dont mean to troll.
There is no way that machine has 698 plays and is that dirty.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Just put a order in for 96 WoZs.

I'm calling BS on this. Lol

#21 8 years ago

I had that exact same issue with mine. Stern said it was the expected quality for a pro.
I didn't think the hearing the inserts and pushing back in deal would work with the clear... So basically the clear grts softened by the heat as well then hardens back in the flat form?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I dont mean to troll.
There is no way that machine has 698 plays and is that dirty.

Troll all you want, the pin went through a reno.. Sold it at a loss, problem solved.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm calling BS on this. Lol

My mistake.. 26 is what were going start with. Money in the bank for jjp.. If they cant pull it off, we would be fine with hobbit, Alien or any other manufacture. I'll personally PM ya pictures when we get em

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I had that exact same issue with mine. Stern said it was the expected quality for a pro.
I didn't think the hearing the inserts and pushing back in deal would work with the clear... So basically the clear grts softened by the heat as well then hardens back in the flat form?

If you love the game, your gonna have to live with the issue unfortunately. I would dump it before they start to crack.. imagine what that's gonna look like.

#25 8 years ago

I don't have it anymore, got it cheap, sold it cheap.
Nothing to do with the insert thing, I just find it woodchoppy and too long. Don't hate it, but don't like it enough for the money.

#26 8 years ago

What did you manage to sell it for? I threw it on the curb for $3000, no takers above that... Looked into changing the playfield.. F that! What a waste of time n money, junk.

#27 8 years ago

Can we see a pic of which shooter lane you have?

#28 8 years ago

Are there different shooter lanes? Oh, boy...not sure if I want to know if I have the "good one."

#29 8 years ago

I would put a polycarbonate overlay on it. It would definitely help and be better than attempting a playfield swap.
ebay.com link: Playfield Protector STERN Metallica PRO Pinball Machine

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Are there different shooter lanes?

The playfields were made by 2 different companies.

532aeb568fcad32920631f3b27985b9d957c3293_(resized).jpg532aeb568fcad32920631f3b27985b9d957c3293_(resized).jpg

861ec13f1f4ba04c4637692483b63b37fcad6710_(resized).jpg861ec13f1f4ba04c4637692483b63b37fcad6710_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago

Never knew! Is one preferred? Mine has the grain, I guess.

IMG_20160219_232249949_(resized).jpgIMG_20160219_232249949_(resized).jpg

#32 8 years ago

I don't want to taint everyone's answer, but one seems to be having more problems.

So the lifting insert playfield I'd like to know which one it is......

#33 8 years ago

Pretty sure I had the first one.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

My mistake.. 26 is what were going start with. Money in the bank for jjp.. If they cant pull it off, we would be fine with hobbit, Alien or any other manufacture. I'll personally PM ya pictures when we get em

No offense man but it's not like WOZ's don't have PF issues here and there too. You have researched the games right? If so, you'd know there are problems with quite a few WOZ's clear PF's too. Not saying they are all bad (as they obviously aren't) but neither are all the Met PF's.

Oh yeah, JJP's results to their PF's wearing out in the pops, whatever you call that left drain pop and one other area (don't remember anymore) was to send out owners an overlay decal.

Not saying any of this is right but you're jumping out of one frying pan and right into another. Haven't seen a pinball MFG that hasn't had some issues with PF's. This goes for Bally and Williams too. I've even seen some beat to crap HUO AMH's too.

#35 8 years ago

so this wouldn't be a problem specific to metallica pro? I have a row of sterns and a mix of both types of shooter lane grain patterns.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

No offense man but it's not like WOZ's don't have PF issues here and there too. You have researched the games right? If so, you'd know there are problems with quite a few WOZ's clear PF's too. Not saying they are all bad (as they obviously aren't) but neither are all the Met PF's.
Oh yeah, JJP's results to their PF's wearing out in the pops, whatever you call that left drain pop and one other area (don't remember anymore) was to send out owners an overlay decal.
Not saying any of this is right but you're jumping out of one frying pan and right into another. Haven't seen a pinball MFG that hasn't had some issues with PF's. This goes for Bally and Williams too. I've even seen some beat to crap HUO AMH's too.

That's a good point, I will talk to JJP about the issues they have had.. and what sort of solution we would get.

#37 8 years ago

Great info! I remember this grain being on the playfield I had..so Patrick straight up lied to me and said it was made by the same company that is making the Medieval Madness remake,( which is amazing)... it all Makes sense now, that would be a ton of playfields to fix.. Looks like Stern is trying to pull a fast one. I wonder if any Le's have the same grain/defects.. I would really be Pi$&^^&

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#38 8 years ago

Everyone that owns a MET with this grain Just lost some resale value...I already did.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Great info! I remember this grain being on the playfield I had..so Patrick straight up lied to me and said it was made by the same company that is making the Medieval Madness remake, which is amazing... Looks like Stern is trying to pull a fast one. it all Makes sense now, that would be a ton of playfields to fix.. I wonder if any Le's have the same grain/defects.. I would really be Pi$&^^&

I believe that is a le?

#40 8 years ago

Now that i look at it your right.. Its an LE, I had the same grain on the pro.

#41 8 years ago

My new premium shooter lane looks like the Pro shooter lane that vid posted above. Is this the preferred one to have ?

#42 8 years ago

The one in post #37 is the one you don't want.

#43 8 years ago

So your saying if the shooter lane wood grain looks like the one above one might have this issue?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Everyone that owns a MET with this grain Just lost some resale value...I already did.

Every stern playfield I have had that grain and they all look great still. I don't agree with the above comment at all. I remember the woz threads about the massive flaking on the upper playfield clear around the rainbow targets.

#45 8 years ago

In would think that unless there were multiple playfields all jacked up and they all had one or the other.....but one example doesn't really say much.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every stern playfield I have had that grain and they all look great still. I don't agree with the above comment at all. I remember the woz threads about the massive flaking on the upper playfield clear around the rainbow targets.

Every metallica playfield that has that grain (from #37) will probably have that problem with the guitar pick inserts.. There is another forum of flaking issues around the magnets as well. If I was to go for another Metallica(which will never happen, or ever buying a stern again for that matter), i would buy the other grain for sure.

#47 8 years ago

It could also happen that the sun won't come up tomorrow.

Quoted from Lamberger:

Every metallica playfeild that has that grain (from #37) could have a problem with the guitar pick inserts

#48 8 years ago

I'm sure there was a reason why Stern changed playfield companys. Time will tell as this forum gets older

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It could also happen that the sun won't come up tomorrow.

Sounds like you have the grain from#37.. lol

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Sounds like you have the grain from#37.. lol

What is your franchise in Canada? Just wondering how close you are to New England.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

7,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 29.95
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-inserts-lifting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.